The Defense, if we can see it...

mojo1917

The Flyers defense looks really really slow to me.  They also look kind of dumb too, When i'm watching the Flyers and 3 team cast off Nick Shultz looks like the second best player on the ice for us at that position , i think that's a really bad sign.

I wonder why our coach continues to ice the same 6/7 guys ?

He wants to pressure the puck all over the ice but refuses to dress guys who can actually do, you know , what he wants.  Michael DelZotto maybe rushes the puck too much, wait, what ? MDZ can skate well enough to implement Chief's pressure center lock idea yet he hasn't sniffed the ice in a month.  I have thought that MDZ's compete level was high enough this year that his average size wasn't a negative factor.  Carlo Coliacavo has similar ability, is larger than MDZ and therefore plays a with a little more physicality, I know CC is brittle but , daggum, he cannot be worse than than what i am seeing from MacDonald, Schenn , Grossmann and Coburn.

I have thought I've seen some improvement this year from Lukey the Slow as well as from Grossmann who's toughness i admire.  I still think one of those guys dresses at a time if the team is to play "quick".as the coach frequently says.he wants them to.

i really don't see our guys playing like a fist anymore, i see fingers that leave the wrist behind, the poor gap control comes from where ?  is it lack of speed and smart transitional play from our defense ?  Is it lazy forwards ?  I am inclined to think it is the former more than that latter. I see forwards supporting the puck in the defensive zone more, i also see our defensmen checked off the puck they seemingly have possessed.  I think MDZ helps the transition game I think CC doesn't hurt it, I think i really hate watching my favorite team play this brand of slow, stupid hockey.  I think there are roster answers to the problem , why doesn't the coach ?

The Flyers defense looks really really slow to me.  They also look kind of dumb too, When i'm watching the Flyers and 3 team cast off Nick Shultz looks like the second best player on the ice for us at that position , i think that's a really bad sign.

I wonder why our coach continues to ice the same 6/7 guys ?

He wants to pressure the puck all over the ice but refuses to dress guys who can actually do, you know , what he wants.  Michael DelZotto maybe rushes the puck too much, wait, what ? MDZ can skate well enough to implement Chief's pressure center lock idea yet he hasn't sniffed the ice in a month.  I have thought that MDZ's compete level was high enough this year that his average size wasn't a negative factor.  Carlo Coliacavo has similar ability, is larger than MDZ and therefore plays a with a little more physicality, I know CC is brittle but , daggum, he cannot be worse than than what i am seeing from MacDonald, Schenn , Grossmann and Coburn.

I have thought I've seen some improvement this year from Lukey the Slow as well as from Grossmann who's toughness i admire.  I still think one of those guys dresses at a time if the team is to play "quick".as the coach frequently says.he wants them to.

i really don't see our guys playing like a fist anymore, i see fingers that leave the wrist behind, the poor gap control comes from where ?  is it lack of speed and smart transitional play from our defense ?  Is it lazy forwards ?  I am inclined to think it is the former more than that latter. I see forwards supporting the puck in the defensive zone more, i also see our defensmen checked off the puck they seemingly have possessed.  I think MDZ helps the transition game I think CC doesn't hurt it, I think i really hate watching my favorite team play this brand of slow, stupid hockey.  I think there are roster answers to the problem , why doesn't the coach ?

Interesting post mojo and we were touching on this a little in another thread. 

I am still at a loss as to why MDZ is sitting upstairs.  There has to be another reason that  he has not seen the ice.  Maybe Berube just does not like the kid which is a shame b/c his skating alone would help this Team.   I admire Grossman's toughness and he is tough guy but he really is too slow.   Additionally, I think Luke the Fluke is another player that really is not going to cut it on this Team.  I know a lot of peeps around here have not given up on him.  IMO he needs to go... he would have been a fine dman back in the day but he is incredibly slow and his positioning is suspect.

It is a shame to watch this Team.  For the first time (that I can remember) I turned off the game last night b/c I was just so frustrated watching plays that are better executed at the college level.  I think it comes down to the Team.   Players themselves are not all bad but the entire Team is a mish-mash of players that appear to be thrown together.  There appears to be no cohesion...

I think Berube is a bad Coach but it is really hard to get a good read on him with this group of players.   It is getting to the point where the GM needs to evaluate who is truly the core of this Team.   I feel like we are treading water here - not bad enough to land a top pick and  nowhere near good enough to give me hope in the future.  I look at G and Jake and have hope but I am guessing about other players right now. 

It is a shame b/c I really would like to see some type of progress but I have seen nothing.

This is not a fun team to watch and speed is limited.  Agreed there may be more than meets the eye with MDZ but what the hell. 

Grossman and Schenn would be trade bait at the deadline. Shultz is is competent dude...but you are correct, if he is top-tier on this squad, what does that say?

The limited "watchability" is interesting. Long-time fans are getting put-off.  

Maybe Hextall should pull a Lemoriello and go the bench for a spin to see what's under the hood.  But I suspect he knows and has a plan for jettisoning sizable chunks.

Howie

think i really hate watching my favorite team play this brand of slow, stupid hockey.  I think there are roster answers to the problem , why doesn't the coach ?

People say the team will be as good as the coach, so if the coach is stupid then the team will be stupid also.

When I look at the body of work for this season so far, I just get frustrated. Finally we have a good (not great and not counting last night) goal tender and V is #1 in the league with G close behind. It's frustrating because it feels like we are wasting Mason/G/V/Coot and Sims because most of the rest is crap. I guess it also feels like by the time they get this mess cleaned up we will be on tail end of the mentioned players prime years. Again, I'm echoing above comments but we are good enough not to land a top player and bad enough not to even make the playoffs never mind make serious noise if we do.

I find myself quick to throw up my hands and say so what about this team. Other than occasional flashes this team just doesn't have any spark and sure doesn't inspire me.

Really, if you take a step back, it's amazing G and V are doing as well as they are. 

Seems like this is a collection of players and not a team...

There's my pick me up speech of the year!  :(

Perhaps the team is posturing with MDZ, having him as a healthy scratch keeps other teams away when he becomes a UFA and gives the Flyers a better bargaining position going forward. Just a wild stab at this thing....

This is exactly my concern idaho... is this Team 1-3 years away or 5 years away? Are we really going to miss the prime of G & Jake?

I echo these concerns. Sadly, I have no idea about the forwards, but the defensemen could be 2-3 years out.

Perhaps the team is posturing with MDZ, having him as a healthy scratch keeps other teams away when he becomes a UFA and gives the Flyers a better bargaining position going forward. Just a wild stab at this thing....

I was going to say I didn't get that but now I see your point. It is a HUGE stab in the dark. What scares me is if we have to go to "those lengths" for MDZ then we are in even worse shape than I thought and that was already bad.

I have tried to throw lip stick on this pig here on this site but Revlon cancelled my wholesale account when they learned it was for the Flyers. Besides, Edmonton used up the supply on their pig...

Sitting MDZ for the better part of a season is not the way to make him better going forward (or even keep his game where it is). I don't think it's about keeping other teams away from him.

It's about the fact that Berube makes utterly idiotic roster decisions. Yes, he has a ridiculous mish mosh of players but he's not even playing the "best"[sic] players among them. And I still don't like the line jiggling or the boring as hell hockey he had them attempting to play.

Fire him and put a blind goat in there. No difference.

Del Zotto will be a RFA at the end of the year, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Berube is just being consistent with what he's said all along, he wants one puck mover and one crease clearer on each pair. MDZ is the odd man out unfortunately.

Del Zotto will be a RFA at the end of the year, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Berube is just being consistent with what he's said all along, he wants one puck mover and one crease clearer on each pair. MDZ is the odd man out unfortunately.

He's still a better option than what they have out there.

Sadly, I think Hextall might agree with him or else he would tell Berube to play him. If Berube doesn't, he can trade away the other bums to force his hand.

I can't argue with that. Based solely on "on ice" criteria, I don't understand what they're seeing.

I was just taking a wild stab, kinda hoping MDZ not playing somehow did not involve talent analysis, cause the guy is certainly one of our 6 best d-men at this point. I don't think benching him to keep him away from potential UFA suitors is a reality, but it does have some residual gain. When you are a healthy scratch for a BRUTAL defense like the Flyers own, it can scare away some teams...especially when you factor in MDZ's less than stellar rep to begin with.  I know if I was a GM, it would give me some pause for thought, regardless of his skill set.

I'm perpetually miffed that MDZ is a healthy scratch. There's no excuse for not playing players that are potentially part of the future core, regardless of whether they help/hurt the team presently. ..

DelZotto is in the lineup tonight. Luke Schenn sits tonight.

Always those two guys replacing each other. Tired of this BS coach who is blind a phuck.

Agree while the dumbass responsible for the 1st goal Cockburn with his brainless soft clear/turnover never is scratched...i wish there was a way of tracking how many times this big goofy stupid mo ther fu cker has a brain fart that always ends up in the back of the net.

And he's never punished or scratched just dumbfouding...im tired of Berube's favortism....can this clown after the season and try to get a new coach....someone without ties to the Flyers even.

Agree while the dumbass responsible for the 1st goal Cockburn with his brainless soft clear/turnover never is scratched...i wish there was a way of tracking how many times this big goofy stupid mo ther fu cker has a brain fart that always ends up in the back of the net.

And he's never punished or scratched just dumbfouding...im tired of Berube's favortism....can this clown after the season and try to get a new coach....someone without ties to the Flyers even.

I can honestly say when the opponent scores he is always on the ice either 5 on 5 or on the PK. I don't wanna hear that he plays against quality players becaus everyone scores on his ass and that includes yours and my dead grandmother. His ass needs to go as much as Berube.

I hate Coburn. That big useless tool needs to go. At this point, I'd take the salary cap savings that would come with moving him. How the Flyers organization can continue to see value in him is beyond me. He's blessed with some of the greatest physical gifts you could want from a player, but he's a dumb as a brick. The sad thing is that Coburn has been like this for years and the team continually makes excuses for the guy. I wish someone in the organization would man up and tell it like it is with Coburn - he needs to go and he needs to be someone else's problem. 

I hate Coburn. That big useless tool needs to go. At this point, I'd take the salary cap savings that would come with moving him. How the Flyers organization can continue to see value in him is beyond me. He's blessed with some of the greatest physical gifts you could want from a player, but he's a dumb as a brick. The sad thing is that Coburn has been like this for years and the team continually makes excuses for the guy. I wish someone in the organization would man up and tell it like it is with Coburn - he needs to go and he needs to be someone else's problem.

Reminds me of Chris Therien, and I don't mean that as a compliment. On the other hand, it also means he's not actually as bad as many - - me included - - make him out to be.

Archived