Kings might be in trouble

yave1964

The defending Champion Los Angeles Kings currently sit tied with the upstart Calgary Flames for the 8th and final playoff spot in the West. The two teams meet tonight.

The reason I say the Kings might be in trouble is because they have the schedule very much working against them, in 45 games, they have played 26 at home and only 19 on the road which is the least of anyone in hockey. They will be living on the road for a large stretch of the second half.

The West has a logjam of teams fighting for one of the final two spots. Three of the following will get in:

SHARKS      54 points

CANUCKS   53 points

KINGS         51 points

FLAMES      51 points

STARS        49 points

'LANCHE     48 points

Of these the Canucks have a clear advantage with only 43 games played and 2o home games still to go.

But back to the Kings. Quite frankly they have been out of sorts, not their usual self, starting with Voynov being an idiot and a slow start from Kopitar and Gaborik.

Now the goaltending, while not a problem is not the strength that it has been in years past. With 120 goals allowed they are 13th in the league in goals against. And the all important ROW category is not in their favor, of the teams they are fighting against the Kings are only ahead of the Avalanche.

Dustin Brown appears to be aging poorly. Tanner Pearson has a broken leg, Tyler Toffoli after a hot start has cooled off considerably and now has the mumps. Mike Richards has only 5 goals all year. Most of the kid forwards aren't developing.

They have had a history of sleepwalking through the regular season and turning it on come postseason, but with teams like the Jets and Predators pushing their way into the top of the division, the Kings might be on the outside looking in before they can even start growing their playoff beards.

signing gabby was a big mistake and letting willie mitchmell go is what's biting them. as much as gabby was providing goals in the playoffs, he's also injuried prone which could bite them as much the pronger deal is bitting us, the defense didnt get much credit as to why they won the cup, instead they over paid for a foward which was very homer like dumb for the flyers.

Agreed the Kings have to get on their horses so to speak, in order to be able to defend their Stanley Cup championship, but in looking at the teams you listed that they are competing against, right off, I will scratch off the Stars and Avs, based on the fact that I think they simply do NOT play enough defense to maintain any sort of playoff drive.

I will say they are very talented up front, and even have some good offensive D-men and decent goaltending apiece, but taken as a group, goal prevention is a major problem for those two.

For the Avs, it is even more disappointing because they won their division last season and were supposed to take the next step this season.

The Canucks and Flames, while very good stories this year, still need to prove they can get it done come crunch time.

The Canucks are living by the rejuvanated vets on their team and some younger guys contributing, the Flames are doing it with fresh legs, a sometimes dynamic offense and a sometimes stifling defense....can these two maintain it to the point where they can take a playoff spot from a proven winner like LA?

That will remain to be seen.

That leaves the usual suspects of the three California teams battling for playoff spots, with obviously, the Ducks being in the best position.

Word is, the Kings will get Voynov before all is said and done this season, and with the trade deadline coming up, they may be willing to part with a piece or two, create cap room, and pick up some mid level salaried, but decent player from someone to jump start the passion for the team.

Yes, I know, lots of 'ifs' going on with them, but still, they are the Champs, have always had mediocre regular seasons, and the team overall, is still young enough where one simply can't call them 'done' until they actually are.

Personally, I think the Kings' issues, while very real, are also a product of their division overall becoming better with the rise of teams like Calgary, Vancouver again, the Sharks making yet another bid to become champions, and the Ducks locking down the top of the division.

Then you have teams like Winnipeg butting themselves into the WC situation, adding to teams the Kings have to contend with.

You could be right by season's end, @yave1964 , but right now, I won't buy it, till I can see the writing clearly on the wall.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I cannot dismiss the Stars or Avalanche from MAKING the playoffs, but I agree once in, lack of defense would make them a quick out. But a team with Varlamov in net or Seguin and Benn leading the charge could sneak into the 8th spot, only to get routed in four or five games. It happens almost every year.

Since I am bitter as they come about Carter winning 2 cups after whining his way out of Columbus, I would take some small joy in their missing the playoffs this year.

I don't think you have anything on me in the bitterness department regarding the kings after last season.

I either hope they don't make the playoffs so i can laugh my arse off about their cup hangover, or we both make the playoffs and play them first round again. Yeah, I would rather play them first round again and stomp their arse in vengeance.

• 1 month later...

Revisiting this.

Canucks...88 points.... 10 games remaining

Wild .....87 points.... 10 games remaining

Jets......86 points.....10 games remaining

Flames....84 points.....10 games remaining

Kings.....82 points.....11 games remaining

One of the above will miss the playoffs.

The Kings have only 3 home games remaining, this may be the year that they slept through the season too late.

The Kings won two cups in the past three seasons but the regular season has not been their forte. This year though they never got out of the mud, never gained traction. Crazy, but defending the cup may end with a whimper.

Revisiting this.

Canucks...88 points.... 10 games remaining

Wild .....87 points.... 10 games remaining

Jets......86 points.....10 games remaining

Flames....84 points.....10 games remaining

Kings.....82 points.....11 games remaining

One of the above will miss the playoffs.

The Kings have only 3 home games remaining, this may be the year that they slept through the season too late.

The Kings won two cups in the past three seasons but the regular season has not been their forte. This year though they never got out of the mud, never gained traction. Crazy, but defending the cup may end with a whimper.

They play the Sharks in the final game of the season too......

They play the Sharks in the final game of the season too......

looking bleak for the Sharks but how much pleasure would they get out of sending the Kings home early....

• 3 weeks later...

@OccamsRazor  Good Lord, there are a few teams, namely the Kings and Bruins who would instantly be favourites next year should they secure the services of McJesus.....let's hope none of that crap happens!!

I hope he would end up a Flyer instead this was just in good fun......Bruins wouldn't be good either the Flyer fan base deserves him more!!!

Lombardi confirmed the Kings locked Sutter out of the dressing room. - Jsaquella

DAMN whats up with that???

If I had to make a guess, ol' frosty tips is waging an all out uprising due to his boyfriend being cut loose!

Archived