anyone worried?

briere48

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@briere48

How about we stop with the "buy a free agent" game that hasn't worked for us for decades and try building a team through the draft?

why are you obbessed with the draft? besides you draft the players, you dont know how good they are going to be, they wont play for a couple years, im not saying overpay for players in fa, im just saying sign some low risk players like schulz and mike delzotto. edm is building through the draft, how is that working for them?

what about the kings, blackhawks, they didnt build through the draft, they traded and sign players.

what about the kings, blackhawks, they didnt build through the draft, they traded and sign players.

That is at best a half truth, which is to say, it is mostly untrue especially as far as Chicago goes.

david booth wouldnt be a bad pick up, yes he's struggled in tor but maybe putting him with giroux might make him better

Kinda fell of a cliff in VAN, too - hasn't shown much for several seasons now.

At his price, might be worth a shot. I wouldn't depend on him for anything tho.

That is at best a half truth, which is to say, it is mostly untrue especially as far as Chicago goes.

From the 2010 Cup team, Sharp, Hossa, Madden, Kopecky, Ladd, Campbell, Sopel and Versteeg (among others) were trades/FA signings.

Toews/Seabrook/Keith/Kane/Byfuglien/Niemi (among others) were home grown.

That's not a bad balance.

Kinda fell of a cliff in VAN, too - hasn't shown much for several seasons now.

At his price, might be worth a shot. I wouldn't depend on him for anything tho.

From the 2010 Cup team, Sharp, Hossa, Madden, Kopecky, Ladd, Campbell, Sopel and Versteeg (among others) were trades/FA signings.

Toews/Seabrook/Keith/Kane/Byfuglien/Niemi (among others) were home grown.

That's not a bad balance.

the only player that was alittle overpaid was hossa but the rest were low risk signings, that's what hextall is trying to do.

the only player that was alittle overpaid was hossa but the rest were low risk signings, that's what hextall is trying to do.

What CHI did do was get many of them young and develop them in their system.

And their development system has been very suspect.

Which is among other things why Hextall seemed concerned that there were so few flyer draft picks down on the farm.

The Flyers have picked players very well, it is their development of those picks where they have suffered.

What do you want the future to be? Lurking about near 8th place and drafting iffy at 11 or 12? If the goal is to be mediocre then keep the current roster. If the future is to be committed to excellence and having 2 or 3 really good drafts and developing those players to be great pros then start moving pieces and hording draft picks, because the next 2 drafts are projected to be very good. 

why are you obbessed with the draft? besides you draft the players, you dont know how good they are going to be, they wont play for a couple years, im not saying overpay for players in fa, im just saying sign some low risk players like schulz and mike delzotto. edm is building through the draft, how is that working for them?

16 of the top 20 scorers are homegrown draft picks. Doesn't that say anything? Don't overpay for FAs? That's how you get them, by bidding the most. Shultz and Zot can be signed anytime before July 1st. Whats wrong with patience. I mean signing MacDonald after 19 games is working out great isn't it? Edmonton isn't building anything. They're collecting some 1st round picks. When they draft anyone who contributes after that I'll be amazed.

Doughty (best defenceman)/Kopitar (best forward)/Brown (captain)/Quick (best goalie) Toffoli/Martinez/Pearson/King/Voynov/Clifford/Lewis/Nolan....all drafted

Keith (best defenceman) Toews (captain arguably best forward) Kane (ditto) /Crawford(best goalie) /Seabrooke/Shaw/Kruger/Saad/Terevannain / Bickell/ Smith/Hjalmarsson ...all drafted.

Build through the draft. Fill in with trades and FAs...not the other way around. Its generally cheaper that way too.

I'm with flyercanuck on this - the Flyers need to start building through the draft. The quick fix has never worked and we're seeing that right now. There's good talent in place, but there are pieces that need to be added and the only way to add them is through the draft. For instance, you aren't acquiring a true number one defenseman unless you're giving up the farm to get him. With Morin, Ghost and Sanheim in the mix, there's three players who have the potential to be a legitimate number one guy (gut feeling says that it will be Morin who will end up becoming the number one guy). As for a left winger, why would anyone want Evander Kane? This is a guy who is disruptive to a franchise and the fact that his own teammates didn't like him should be a strong indicator as to what kind of locker room cancer he is. He can't follow team rules and yet people think he'd be a great fit here? No thank you. I'll take my chances on a guy like Aube-Kubel developing into that left winger. Nope, I hope Hextall stays far, far, far away from the free agents and just worries about building depth and talent within the Flyers system.

I'm with flyercanuck on this - the Flyers need to start building through the draft.

They are....now. The problem with most is they lack the patience for the drafting results.

They want to plant a seed and then see a 80 foot redwood the following day in the backyard. I guess it's human nature....most don't have the patience it takes to draft and grow the said talent they want results tomorrow. And well maybe they learned that from the front office because it seems that is their outlook as well.

But there is hope Hexy said so we just have to wait and see if he delivers....easier said than done. But this year is sort of what i knew it would be an evaluation year.

From the coach on down to the ECHL players.

This draft and offseason shall be very telling of his vision...and it really will start at this trade deadline....by who is left and who is moved.

The problem with most is they lack the patience for the drafting results.

Clearly that's part of the problem, but it's not all of it. There are Flyer fans on here whose attitude toward Junior hockey can only be described as disdainful, disrespectful and disgusting.

You see this in comments made about posters who "like watching young boys play hockey" and the like. You see it in comments about how going back to Junior as a 19 year old is somehow "bad" for their development, as if they are playing against Pee-Wees or something.

They are completely ignorant of what kind of hockey it is, have never seen it live or on TV. There is a reason that players playing Major Junior in Canada are considered "pros" for the purposes of College eligibility in the States.  

Clearly that's part of the problem, but it's not all of it. There are Flyer fans on here whose attitude toward Junior hockey can only be described as disdainful, disrespectful and disgusting.

You see this in comments made about posters who "like watching young boys play hockey" and the like. You see it in comments about how going back to Junior as a 19 year old is somehow "bad" for their development, as if they are playing against Pee-Wees or something.

They are completely ignorant of what kind of hockey it is, have never seen it live or on TV. There is a reason that players playing Major Junior in Canada are considered "pros" for the purposes of College eligibility in the States.  

Great post Pods...

Too bad this site doesn't allow profanity, because some of you pro-loser, anti-Flyer "fans" need a real cussin' out.

The Flyers aren't bad enough to draft top 5 or even top 10; give that pipe... dream? ... up.  On the other hand, coming from this deep down to actually make the playoffs will demonstrate and build HUGE character and perserverance with regards to every player involved.  That experience cannot be purchased, and will be valuable in the future.  Making the playoffs, who knows?  They were a timely goal away from advancing past the first round last season, meeting and rolling over their whipping boys, the Penguins, and then confronting a Canadiens team worn out by a tough series with the Bruins. 

I will root for and cherish every win.  Naysayers, #*&! bug off.

Too bad this site doesn't allow profanity, because some of you pro-loser, anti-Flyer "fans" need a real cussin' out.

The Flyers aren't bad enough to draft top 5 or even top 10; give that pipe... dream? ... up.  On the other hand, coming from this deep down to actually make the playoffs will demonstrate and build HUGE character and perserverance with regards to every player involved.  That experience cannot be purchased, and will be valuable in the future.  Making the playoffs, who knows?  They were a timely goal away from advancing past the first round last season, meeting and rolling over their whipping boys, the Penguins, and then confronting a Canadiens team worn out by a tough series with the Bruins. 

I will root for and cherish every win.  Naysayers, #*&! bug off.

I don't expect the Flyers to sit in the room before a game and talk about mailing it in. I expect them to go out and give a good effort every game. Of course, if they did this they wouldn't be in the situation they're in right now. There are plenty of wrinkles Hextall has to iron out, but he also has a team with Giroux, Voracek,Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Mason, Read, Laughton, Del Zotto, Coburn, etc. This isn't the Buffalo Sabres. 

But if I had my choice between watching the Flyers go out in the first round again or drafting top 5 (and having a real shot at McDavid) I know which one is going to improve my Flyers more going forward...and it ain't a round of playoff hockey. I heard these arguments last year....we ended up making the playoffs. How did that momentum carry over this year? Well, it didn't. I've seen enough short playoff runs over the years as a Flyer fan to know I'd rather take a top prospect in an amazing draft. Doesn't mean it will happen. None of us have any influence on a game. But a McDavid/Eichel/Hanifan/Marner/Strome type player will help this franchise be a contender in a few years a heck of a lot more than 5 or 6 playoff games will. We do that pretty much every year. And thats where it gets us every year. Yet another playoff that ends in a loss. Yippee! I'd rather try a different angle.

I don't expect the Flyers to sit in the room before a game and talk about mailing it in. I expect them to go out and give a good effort every game. Of course, if they did this they wouldn't be in the situation they're in right now. There are plenty of wrinkles Hextall has to iron out, but he also has a team with Giroux, Voracek,Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Mason, Read, Laughton, Del Zotto, Coburn, etc. This isn't the Buffalo Sabres.

But if I had my choice between watching the Flyers go out in the first round again or drafting top 5 (and having a real shot at McDavid) I know which one is going to improve my Flyers more going forward...and it ain't a round of playoff hockey. I heard these arguments last year....we ended up making the playoffs. How did that momentum carry over this year? Well, it didn't. I've seen enough short playoff runs over the years as a Flyer fan to know I'd rather take a top prospect in an amazing draft. Doesn't mean it will happen. None of us have any influence on a game. But a McDavid/Eichel/Hanifan/Marner/Strome type player will help this franchise be a contender in a few years a heck of a lot more than 5 or 6 playoff games will. We do that pretty much every year. And thats where it gets us every year. Yet another playoff that ends in a loss. Yippee! I'd rather try a different angle.

Damn right.

And by the way, we've gone 6-1-3 in the last ten and are still 7 out with Florida in between.

The Flyers are NOT making the playoffs. It's great they are trying their best NOW and don't want them to tank, but we're looking at the worst possible outcome:

Miss the playoffs

Miss decent picks

But let's all stop talking about reality so as not to offend the fantacizers.

I'm really torn. I cannot and will not hope for the Flyers to lose. And I do understand the reality of the situation. And @ruxpin et. al. make logical sense. Now if they try and fail, I can live with that.

This exactly. Well said.

one of the reasons why florida was so good was because their gm put together players that want to win and brought in a coach that doesnt favor players. they may not win a cup but they are going into the right direction.

the oilers are an example of why they are a bad team because the gm has no clue on how to build a winning culture, it's the same with the flyers with homer. i think hextall wants to keep the players d men in the minors is so they experience a winning culture with the phantoms and bring that winning culture to the flyers.

just like with richards and carter, they experienced winning cultures with the phantoms and it brought that with the flyers and kept them contending until they got traded.

@briere48

One of the reasons Florida is so good is they sucked in a year where the top pick was a bonafide #1 defenceman who was physically ready to play at the age of 18...whereas the Oilers last #1 pick is a lameass forward who has skill but hasn't figured out how to be an NHL player yet.

And if Florida is so good....why is Philly so bad yet only 3 points behind them?

@briere48

One of the reasons Florida is so good is they sucked in a year where the top pick was a bonafide #1 defenceman who was physically ready to play at the age of 18...whereas the Oilers last #1 pick is a lameass forward who has skill but hasn't figured out how to be an NHL player yet.

And if Florida is so good....why is Philly so bad yet only 3 points behind them?

Because math is hard.

Archived