Leafs have lost 17 of last 20

yave1964

On December 16th the Leafs beat up on the Anaheim Ducks 6-2 for their 6th win in a row and 8th in nine games, getting the team to a record of 19-9-3 good for 39 points and only 2 points out of first place in their division. They had just beaten the Ducks, Kings, the Wings (twice) and other solid teams, not running through the leagues weak sisters during that time. All looked rosy.

Randy+Carlyle+Eqx9rmHYu1cm.jpg Coach Randy Carlyle seemed as secure as any coach in the game, the team was as hot as any team in the game.

Leaf fans know better, something always happens. They went into a slump, losing seven of nine, and on January 5th with a still respectable record of 21-16-3 at the halfway point Carlyle was wacked and some combination of coaching was put in place interim. And then it really got bad. 

The Leafs since then have went out and lost 10 of their last 11, the great start nothing but a memory and the chance of making the playoffs long gone in the rear view mirror. 17 losses in their last 20 games have seen to that.

They have scored 35 goals in 20 games, giving up 65. They have had their all time lowest scoring January in team history. In their current 9 game losing streak, they have scored 1 goal or less 8 times.

During the 20 game debacle, you find the following stats:

Bernier is 3-9-1

Reimer is 0-7-0

Kessel has had 3 goals in 20 games, only 1 at even strength and is a minus 12

Phaneuf has watched his team fall apart and began fighting everyone on other teams who is willing and now is hurt and out for a few weeks, the most glorious weeks of this season he will likely have are sitting in the press box with his head down trying not to watch or hear the cascade of boos.

Ugly, ugly hockey coming from Toronto. At least they still have 1967.

The tank is on....they said we be damn if we gonna let the Oilers scoop up all the talent every damn draft.....we going to get some too....

They had too nice of a start to win the lottery, the team cannot even get that right, lol. They are trying to get to the bottom tho, gotta give them credit for that, lol.

Speaking of the Oilers tanking, they were up 2-0 over the Flames last night and someone must have said something to them about the importance of playing for another number one pick. The only way that you could have seen a bigger tank than the Oilers had in the third last night is if you went to a World War 2 exhibit and looked at all the Abrams and Panzers.......

Apparently Shanahan wants Rob Blake to be the next GM of the Leafs as quoted by Bob McKenzie

There’s always been speculation about the future of Nonis and whether he’s Shanahan’s guy and what he’s going to do here.

When Mark Hunter got hired, I think there was a widespread presumption that he could be a general manager in waiting if and when Brendan Shanahan makes a move to terminate or put Dave Nonis out to pasture – whatever the case may be.

I’ve also heard, over the course of time, that Brendan Shanahan’s first choice, if he were to hire a general manager other than Dave Nonis, would be Rob Blake, who worked with Shanahan at player safety and now of course works for the Los Angeles Kings under the Dean Lombardi regime.

I personally don’t think Rob Blake has any interest in leaving Southern California. He’s a surfer, he likes working with the Kings, and as much as he one day maybe wants to be a general manager, I’d be absolutely shocked if he wanted to do it in Toronto.

World War 2 exhibit and looked at all the Abrams and Panzers.......

They had Abrams in World War 2????

Who knew...actually not possible it was named after General Abrams who fought/commanded in the Vietnam war...but i get your point!  ;)

They had Abrams in World War 2????

Who knew...actually not possible it was named after General Abrams who fought/commanded in the Vietnam war...but i get your point!  ;)

Okay okay you picky man, excuse me for not taking the time to look it up for historical accuracy, LOL. I will work harder on that in the future. :D

Okay okay you picky man, excuse me for not taking the time to look it up for historical accuracy, LOL. I will work harder on that in the future. :D

Let that be a warning to you................the next time consider yourself 

REPORTED!

The tank is on....they said we be damn if we gonna let the Oilers scoop up all the talent every damn draft.....we going to get some too....

The difference is, Edmonton and Buffalo weren't trying to win this season. Toronto was. This is an unintentional tank, and the Leafs are going to mess it up by getting hot in February and March to finish 9th again. Mark my words. This team can't even lose right.  :blink[1]:

Leafs fans deserve better

Not only that, but every team that has a rivalry with Toronto deserves better because those games against the Leafs diminish in value (fan interest) when the Leafs are not competitive. When the Leafs are bad, it takes away from Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia, etc..... Fans in those markets don't have much satisfaction watching their team beat a hapless Leafs team when nothing is at stake. It's so easy and the outcome is so predictable that it just gets boring after awhile.

Not only that, but every team that has a rivalry with Toronto deserves better because those games against the Leafs diminish in value (fan interest) when the Leafs are not competitive. When the Leafs are bad, it takes away from Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia, etc..... Fans in those markets don't have much satisfaction watching their team beat a hapless Leafs team when nothing is at stake. It's so easy and the outcome is so predictable that it just gets boring after awhile.

I dunno. I wouldn't want to underestimate the delight some fans take in watching the Leafs suffer.

Not me, of course. I've never even heard of schadenfreude before. I only learned that word from JackStraw.

I dunno. I wouldn't want to underestimate the delight some fans take in watching the Leafs suffer.

Not me, of course. I've never even heard of schadenfreude before. I only learned that word from JackStraw.

Online search result:

Schadenfreude is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. This word is taken from German and literally means 'harm-joy.'

Plus I remember a segment of the show Two And A Half Men where the character Rose mentions it. :cool[1]:

@WordsOfWisdom - don't listen to a word that @Podein25 says. I've never used that word in my life. I don't even know what it means. Mr Podein is a well known charlatan on these forums. I don't know what "charlatan" means either but it sounded good.

LOL.  :D

Online search result #2:

A charlatan (also called swindler or mountebank) is a person practicing quackery or some similar confidence trick in order to obtain money, fame or other advantages via some form of pretense or deception.

LOL. :D

Online search result #2:

A charlatan (also called swindler or mountebank) is a person practicing quackery or some similar confidence trick in order to obtain money, fame or other advantages via some form of pretense or deception.

So that's what it means! "Quackery"?! I'm deeply offended by Mr Straw!

Archived