Flyers top line.

Phlyer1

I borrowedthis line from Berube." To me, they have to work harder and they have to play a simpler game.

To me they have to work smarter and together." Is Simmonds the only guy who comes to play each game?

in my opinion, i think it's berube and the players. you need the right coach and the players that want to buy in and win. to me, this isnt the right group of players and the coach is lously at it. hextall has alot of work to do and he has to draft and bring in the players that want to win. the only reason why this team is winning is because of the goaltending that's it, if we had bad goaltending, they would be bad as edm and buffalo.

I borrowedthis line from Berube." To me, they have to work harder and they have to play a simpler game.

To me they have to work smarter and together." Is Simmonds the only guy who comes to play each game?

Giroux and Voracek have more points than ANY other two players on ANY other line in hockey. If they're mailing it in...what's everyone else in the league doing? 

Giroux and Voracek have more points than ANY other two players on ANY other line in hockey. If they're mailing it in...what's everyone else in the league doing?

Someone just posted on another thread that Voracek and Giroux only have one even strength goal on the ice together since Christmas break. If that's true, that's not good. Clearly they're getting it done on the power play, so that's good.

But they should probably simplify things. A decent player on the other side could help, too.

I did not say they were mailing it in at all.There is an old saying," what have you done for me lately?" I think not a whole lot.

Howdy:

I guess most lines have combined slumps at some point. Or the law of averages is kicking in.  Or the relative lack of secondary scoring makes it easier to defend against them on a consistent basis....the opponents can focus on them.  GV is the least of my concerns on this squad.

Howie

I did not say they were mailing it in at all.There is an old saying," what have you done for me lately?" I think not a whole lot.

No you didn't say that. But at the start of the year if someone told you Giroux and Voracek would BOTH be top 5 in scoring, would you even consider knocking their play? Everyone has off games, hot and cold streaks. Kane looks great right now..69 points is his high water mark in the last 4 seasons. Crosby has been up and down. Seguin got traded away for being immature. Nash was a bum just last year. 

Everyone has room to improve, but these guys have been lighting the lamp better than any other linemates in the entire league. Surely you can find a better avenue to nit pick than 2 of the top 5 scorers in the league. For the most part, their play has been exceptional. I've seen both of them dog it on bad nights, but that is few and far between.

I think you need to look at when they stopped scoring and who was put on the top line with them at that time. I am not a Schenn hater but he is obviously not carrying his weight on playing top line minutes.If Raffl was healthy, would this even be a conversation? I look forward to seeing Raffl inserted back into that slot when he is healthy. He plays a better support role for Giroux and Jake than most people give him credit for.

I think you need to look at when they stopped scoring and who was put on the top line with them at that time. I am not a Schenn hater but he is obviously not carrying his weight on playing top line minutes.If Raffl was healthy, would this even be a conversation? I look forward to seeing Raffl inserted back into that slot when he is healthy. He plays a better support role for Giroux and Jake than most people give him credit for.

Rod I see your point but would like you to think longer term.

Raffl is a finished product at this point and has shown only fraction of Schenn's scoring touch. 

For me I'd rather let Schenn play with G and Jake and really get to "know" them and for them to get to "know" him... he has a great one timer and will hit and will muck it up, I think he's a slow learner at the NHL level but his point totals have always increased.  I think long term the best result is for Schenn to occupy that spot with the current roster  , now a deal could be made for the stud top line winger and that changes my math . 

Raffl is a finished product at this point

At 26 and only one full season of the north american/NHL game under his belt this is the furthest from the truth....sorry i belive he is still maturing and growing his game. Had he been playing in North America since say 21 i might say you are right but he is still learning this style of play and molding his game.

He still has room to grow by far. And it will come the more he plays.

At 26 and only one full season of the north american/NHL game under his belt this is the furthest from the truth....sorry i belive he is still maturing and growing his game. Had he been playing in North America since say 21 i might say you are right but he is still learning this style of play and molding his game.

He still has room to grow by far. And it will come the more he plays.

i see this point, though i don't think Raffl's ceiling is as high as the Brayden Schenn's.

I also think at 26 he's pretty well baked, there is room for icing and a cake topper but in the end he'll still be a cake. 

Schenn has the feeling to me of still being in the mixing bowl, will he be cake , tiramisu , cherries jubilee ?  

i'd like to see him left on that wing for the rest of the season, this is the perfect season to determine if he's "that  guy " or just another guy. 

Rod I see your point but would like you to think longer term.

Raffl is a finished product at this point and has shown only fraction of Schenn's scoring touch. 

For me I'd rather let Schenn play with G and Jake and really get to "know" them and for them to get to "know" him... he has a great one timer and will hit and will muck it up, I think he's a slow learner at the NHL level but his point totals have always increased.  I think long term the best result is for Schenn to occupy that spot with the current roster  , now a deal could be made for the stud top line winger and that changes my math . 

I know the potential is there for Schenn but what is he waiting for to show it? He is the invisible man against Buffalo of all teams. Schenn has shown more flashes playing on Simmonds line than he ever has playing with G and Jake. He has been paired with those two for about 10 games now or somewhere there about and has been about as out of place as an anorexic at a pie eating contest.........

Schenn has shown more flashes playing on Simmonds line than he ever has playing with G and Jake.

I want to see a line of Bellmare Simmer and Brayden.

My lines....

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek

10 Brayden Schenn - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 17 Wayne Simmonds

24 Matt Read - 14 Sean Couturier - 18 R.J. Umberger

76 Chris VandeVelde - 25 Ryan White - 40 Vincent Lecavalier

Edit: After rethinking i'd like Frenchie at center and Schenn at left wing so if need be i'd rather him to play wing for depth reasons.

55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit

15 Michael Del Zotto - 22 Luke Schenn

8 Nickla Grossmann - 26 Carlo Colaiacovo

5- Braydon Coburn - 47 Andrew MacDonald

55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
15 Michael Del Zotto - 22 Luke Schenn
8 Nickla Grossmann - 47 Andrew MacDonald

5- Braydon Coburn

I think I would list MacDonald as the seventh and Coliaocavo as the sixth......Coburn does not make the top 7 with his play.

If Timmonen returns, I would put him on third pairing with Cocacola and balance the minutes more across all 3 pairings. No matter how you slice it, Coburn and Macdonald do not belong in the top six........

@flyerrod   Yeah, I agree. For whatever reason, Brayden has not (and probably will not) click with G and V. Time to give up on that and stop putting a square peg in a round hole. I think he has gotten smarter this year, which is promising. He is learning how to dart in and out of scoring range with his one timer. He needs to work harder on that skill, cause it appears to be one of his strong points. He's not great at cycling the puck, just ok....so he needs to learn what his bread and butter is and start applying himself more.

The top line is generating nothing at even strength. They have been invisible the first two periods tonight against the friggin Sabres!

Meanwhile Raffl just comes back and scores a goal in his little 11 minutes of play....put him back with G and Jake.

Schenn has shown more flashes playing on Simmonds

i thought this also, I thought him JvR and Simmer were on to something...but that didn't last, then I thought him and Simmer and Hartnell were onto something but that didn't last.  for any apparent reason.

so the "braintrust" puts him on the wing which okay , he has that skill set, but is not his "natural " position, so i say let the kid play a position and quit yanking him around.

@OccamsRazor

Raffl has not come close to producing to Schenn's level in the NHL.  I like Raffl too, but he's not nearly as gifted offensively as Schenn.  

I guess if you count their first years in the league when Schenn was 20 and Raffl was 25 they were close... but i don't see where Raffl's got more game we haven't seen.  he's a fine player but he's wyswyg, I still see room for Schenn's game to grow.

Raffl has not come close to producing to Schenn's level in the NHL.

What has Schenn done?? One 20 goal season??? HA! He has failed to do pretty much nothing with the 2 best forwards on the team...sorry but Schenn has been very unimpressive in his Flyer career and even his Kings career there is a reason why he has been traded and is mentioned in rumor since his acquisition....sorry he is just MEH! 

I like Raffl too, but he's not nearly as gifted offensively as Schenn.

Not buying this either...hell let me know if he ever even scores one on one in a shootout!!!! His next one will be his first...color me unimpressed.

Archived