Coburn to Tampa for picks and prospect

bullies

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who won this trade?

• Tampa Bay Lightning
    • Philadelphia Flyers
    • Philadelphia Flyers Fans
    • Brayden Coburn
    • Everyone wins and there is much rejoicing along the East Coast.

Well, we will all get to see Coburn's first steps as a Bolt tomorrow night in Tampa against the Sabres.

I will expect some 'getting used to' for him because the Bolts play differently than the Flyers, and he will have bottom feeders like Buffalo tomorrow and Toronto on Thurs to get acclimated with the Bolts before a much stiffer test against a very good Dallas Stars offense on Saturday.

I will be watching Mr. Coburn very closely this week.  :)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the time, yeah...but when his game goes south...he does not mess around...lol. I think he's ok in his own zone, especially when he can use his big wingspan to cut off passing lanes...for me, the weak part of his game is having to travel 10-15 feet in his own end...faster smaller players blow by him before he can turn his lumbering frame into the right spot. He's a great skater once he gets going, but the first few steps are brutal and can be worrisome.

I agree, in tight spaces especially in close to the crease he can get turned the wrong way. His strengths are defending the blue line, forcing attackers wide, getting in passing lanes (like you said), board play. He takes good angles and closes really well on puck carriers along the boards and in the corners. Nurse reminds me of Coburn in that regard, but Nurse has more of a mean streak. And is probably even a better skater.

I would say he was that prior to 2012-2013 season.  Since then - and I am not really sure why - he wasn't doing even that with regularity.  The guy had three straight 'minus' seasons. He caughs up the puck when just a simple, safe play could have gotten the job done. And I don't even know how many times I screemed at my TV because he could not make a simple play just to get the fricking puck out of his zone with almost nobody around him.  It almost feels like he's on the ice just about every time the Flyers are scored on.  I know that's not the case, but because of how unreliable he was all season long it sure feels that way.

I also disagree with you that he got traded because he was the most valuable trading chip.  I disagree with this completely.  I don't care whether a team is rebuilding or not.  If the player is really that valuable, you don't trade him period.

He is gone and I am glad he is gone.  Good riddance!  He won't be missed.

Here, here....great post MD!  LMAO...I've seen Coburn do that 100 times....cough up the puck with literally no one on him....LOL!

Posted Today, 09:57 AM

I don't feel the need to be rude to him. Sorry it didn't work out here.

I'm a tad disappointed that the Coburn/VLC combo deal didn't happen though.
..as pipe dreamy as that was.

bullies, on 02 Mar 2015 - 02:05 AM, said:

for a first, third and Radko Gudas

Agreed, I didn't put the Buh Bye picture there.  That was done by somebody else after the fact.

I would say he was that prior to 2012-2013 season. Since then - and I am not really sure why - he wasn't doing even that with regularity. The guy had three straight 'minus' seasons. He caughs up the puck when just a simple, safe play could have gotten the job done. And I don't even know how many times I screemed at my TV because he could not make a simple play just to get the fricking puck out of his zone with almost nobody around him. It almost feels like he's on the ice just about every time the Flyers are scored on. I know that's not the case, but because of how unreliable he was all season long it sure feels that way.

I also disagree with you that he got traded because he was the most valuable trading chip. I disagree with this completely. I don't care whether a team is rebuilding or not. If the player is really that valuable, you don't trade him period.

He is gone and I am glad he is gone. Good riddance! He won't be missed.

Amen brother i'm going to take the easy way out and say what you said. If he was a shutdown Dman he wouldn't have been traded he was was far from that. I'm glad he is gone.

Agreed, I didn't put the Buh Bye picture there.  That was done by somebody else after the fact.

Yes, that was added by me after-the-fact for the slider on the front page.    

But for the record, I think he's way more likely to be offended by the quotes from Berube and some of his now-former teammates than a picture or posts on a message board.

Amen brother i'm going to take the easy way out and say what you said. If he was a shutdown Dman he wouldn't have been traded he was was far from that. I'm glad he is gone.

He was shut down alright.  He shut down the Flyers' chance to win.

Yes, that was added by me after-the-fact for the slider on the front page.

But for the record, I think he's way more likely to be offended by the quotes from Berube and some of his now-former teammates than a picture or posts on a message board.

Link to quotes?

Link to quotes?

“We lost a good player but we have capable guys coming in there,” coach Craig Berube said. “We won a lot of games without Braydon this year.

He was injured a lot. I don’t believe it weakens us at all. Trades happen in the NHL. We got some good assets coming back.”

“Depth-wise, we’ve got less guys now. But he’s been injured a few times this year and guys have filled in. We won a lot of games when he wasn’t in the lineup. We’ve got a good bunch of a guys and good team and we can still work hard and battle hard for a playoff spot.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-say-theyll-miss-tampa-bay-lightning-defenseman-braydon-coburn-theyll-be-ok

A  'mean streak' would certainly be nice, but honestly, it really doesn't even have to be that.....though Gudas certainly has THAT in spades.

Every once in a while, you'll see Ravenous Coburn emerge, and it's great. But it's not very often.

110211-NHL-Flyers-PI-AM_2011110221580193

Archived