Don't Shoot Me!

Podein25

Flyers need a new coach right? What about John Stevens? [takes verbal abuse, dodges bullets, repents] Discuss.

Career coaching record above .500.  Actually besides the year he took over for Hitch, his winning % is pretty damn good.  he even had a winning record when they canned him.

I always thought they transitioned well under him and the PK was very good.

He did it all with Coburn and Timmonen in the back end and pretty much no one else too... wait... why did we fire this guy again?

Career coaching record above .500.  Actually besides the year he took over for Hitch, his winning % is pretty damn good.  he even had a winning record when they canned him.

He did it all with Coburn and Timmonen in the back end and pretty much no one else too... wait... why did we fire this guy again?

Coaches get fired - occupational hazard. I fear your view might be in the minority. But many of the guys that were here when he was coach are gone. He has a track record for developing young players, especially at the defensive side of the game and PK. You could do worse....

I think Stevens was a good instructor and would actually fit a team likely to have lots of youth.  He steered the unit fairly well.  How does the LA connection play out?  I wouldn't be too upset.  But this franchise will go with someone more glamorous....

Howie

Coaches get fired - occupational hazard. I fear your view might be in the minority. But many of the guys that were here when he was coach are gone. He has a track record for developing young players, especially at the defensive side of the game and PK. You could do worse....

I was just playing along. I don't think he's the guy. I do think he gets a bad wrap. They were worse after he left. That's not nothing.

I want Torts. We need something to talk about next year while Hexy is retooling.

Please God no. I can't stand that guy. Not a good very coach either man. Don't know how that team succeeded watching the way he screwed up the ones he's coached since.

Also didn't like the way he handled the Olympics at all.

I think Stevens was a good instructor and would actually fit a team likely to have lots of youth. He steered the unit fairly well. How does the LA connection play out? I wouldn't be too upset. But this franchise will go with someone more glamorous....

Howie

I wonder who. I mean obviously you're right, just look at their track record.

Tocchet maybe?

Desjardins?

Blair Betts?

Mark LaForest?

Mitch Lameroux?

I think Stevens was a good instructor and would actually fit a team likely to have lots of youth.  He steered the unit fairly well.  How does the LA connection play out?  I wouldn't be too upset.  But this franchise will go with someone more glamorous....

Howie

My thoughts exactly. They can't make a splash in the UFA market so they will do it with a head coach. I bet they make Mike Babcock a very rich man. I remember getting to golf with Hitch at a charity tournament and I asked him why he chose the Flyers. He said they basically backed a dump truck full of money on his front lawn and offered him the job. He said it was pretty tough to say no.

Howie

Yeah there is nothing glamorous about JS. I think you are right.

I wonder who. I mean obviously you're right, just look at their track record.

Tocchet maybe?

Desjardins?

Blair Betts?

Mark LaForest?

Mitch Lameroux?

Tocchet would be a pisser. . Betts....

I agree they will try to get a Babcock or vignealt. 

Boucher ,Crawford,Vingnault,Bylsma,Babcock,Tortorella,Wilson and I'm sure I missed some others. The first choice is Babcock.

Who is next on the list?

Vigneault is the NYR coach... and I don't see him going anywhere. 

No to Torts, Wilson, and Bylsma. Crawford... meh. Never really liked him.

Boucher is an option, but our already anemic offense would dry up.

Flyers are going to go after a winner and that means Babcock or Julien, IMO.

Or they'll go off script.

I'd take a look at the assistants in LA and Chicago, and Blashill down in Grand Rapids who's done a good job prepping young guys to come in and perform at the next level for Detroit.

My thoughts exactly. They can't make a splash in the UFA market so they will do it with a head coach. I bet they make Mike Babcock a very rich man. I remember getting to golf with Hitch at a charity tournament and I asked him why he chose the Flyers. He said they basically backed a dump truck full of money on his front lawn and offered him the job. He said it was pretty tough to say no.

You mean he didn't say, "I saw the likes of Gagne, Rex, Williams, Primeau Rusty & jR and thought, boy... If I could get them to stop scoring, we'd really be on to something. "

Because he sucked.  Berube has above a .500 record, too.   I'd really like to get someone capable of more than "play harder" and cake baking.

If @Podein25 would just quit moving it would make targeting so much easier.

Archived