Voracek - What should the Flyers do with him

So, Voracek has one more year on his current contract before he becomes a free agent. As it stands, with the Flyers cap situation and with Hextall mentioning issues with regards to contracts and long term deals several Flyers players have, it strikes me as kind of odd that the Flyers haven't begun contract negotiations with him. If you're the GM of the team, do you try to re-sign Voracek, knowing that the deal will probably be a max year deal possibly starting at 7.5 to 8 million a season, or do you do what many would consider to be unthinkable and send out feelers to see what kind of market is available for him? Discuss.......

So, Voracek has one more year on his current contract before he becomes a free agent. As it stands, with the Flyers cap situation and with Hextall mentioning issues with regards to contracts and long term deals several Flyers players have, it strikes me as kind of odd that the Flyers haven't begun contract negotiations with him. If you're the GM of the team, do you try to re-sign Voracek, knowing that the deal will probably be a max year deal possibly starting at 7.5 to 8 million a season, or do you do what many would consider to be unthinkable and send out feelers to see what kind of market is available for him? Discuss.......

The only scenario in which I would trade Voracek includes the 1st overall for McDavid. Period. :) Because to me, trading Voracek sets the franchise back 5-7 years. That's how long it took Jake to reach his potential.

Voracek, IMO, deserves a max year deal. Along with Giroux, they are the core of the core. And honestly, I've seen more on-ice leadership from Jake this year than G. I don't say that to stir anything up, but only to make the case that Jake seems to care a great deal about his teammates and is willing to get a little nasty to stand up for himself and his mates. I like that in a player.

Offer him $8M/year for 8 years. Trade MacDud and retain 50% of his salary if you have to. He is wasting a roster spot with his talent level and salary. Let the youngsters battle it out for a fraction of the price and honestly, probably the same level or better of hockey.

He can't be resigned until after July 1 anyway, so I'm not sure I would read much into the absence of negotiations so far. Jake is a stud on a team full of mediocre players. They don't grow on trees.

So, I will ask you - what do you think would be gained by trading Voracek? What do you think he could fetch? And in your opinion, would it be worth it?

Trade him his value will never be higher. 

Then use the money to sign Sergei Gonchar to a five year 25mm deal. Our defense will be sick..... <------------ typed in Paul Holmgren font of course. 

Realistically, they have to ink him to a multi-year deal, and they may be waiting till Umbergers contract clears next season to give Jack his big payday. 

He is going nowhere and I dont see the real rush in trying to sign him immediately.  He is under contract for now and truly just had his "coming out as a star" player this year.   No reason to rush...   Need to get rid of some dead weight in terms of contracts (Umberger) but otherwise this one is a no-brainer.   

I agree with @brelic

"pay that man his money"

Trading Voracek for a handful of magic bean draft picks and pu-pu platter of middling prospects... no thanks

been through that with the Sixers at least twice. the worst of course being Barkley for ah who gives a **** it was a bad deal.

I feel reasonably sure Hextall wasn't hired to gut the team ala Sam Hinkie.

Jake is a leader and just coming into his own...it would be stupid stupid stupid to trade him for "cap reasons"  if you get McDavid coming back well let's think about it but even then...

At the town hall, Hextall said something very close to "If we get into a cap issue and we have to trade Jake, you (fans) would be up in arms, and rightfully so." I don't think trading him is in the cards. They can't extend him until July 1, I'm not sure if they aren't allowed to negotiate in any kind of window leading up to that.

and they may be waiting till Umbergers contract clears next season to give Jack his big payday.

Aaaaah not to be a bearer of bad news but RJ has 2 more years after this one....so theres that as an issue... ;)

how about we trade G for the #1 and then trade Jake for the #2 - we now have JE and McDavid....

We already have #2.  We call it McDud.

(This message brought to you by the people who brought you gotanygum)

At the town hall, Hextall said something very close to "If we get into a cap issue and we have to trade Jake, you (fans) would be up in arms, and rightfully so." I don't think trading him is in the cards. They can't extend him until July 1, I'm not sure if they aren't allowed to negotiate in any kind of window leading up to that.

Actually, now that I think of it, I remember reading something about January 1 being the date during the last year of a contract to begin talking extension.

So in Jake's case, it would be January 1, 2016.

Actually, now that I think of it, I remember reading something about January 1 being the date during the last year of a contract to begin talking extension.

So in Jake's case, it would be January 1, 2016.

Are you sure i thought it just had to be sometime aftrr the start of a new season and during his last year. July 1st sounds right.

If I'm Hextall I see if there's a deal for the McDavid pick or involving Ekblad or Seth Jones or hell maybe Subban.

Failing that, I don't worry about the lack of negotiations just yet. It's a ways off and that's hard to do bwfore the draft. I think it's rare to have a new deal in the works a year and a half ahead of time. Maybe towards the end of the off season.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be afraid to listen to offers, but they'd have to be pretty damn good.

Remember, to get the kind of numbers you're talking about they only have to free up 3 million or so and Hextall's already done that with Coburn.

It really depends on how much Del Zotto is going to cost. I would expect skmewhere in the 2.5-3 million range as an RFA, but he may push for more and he may have a point.

Aaaaah not to be a bearer of bad news but RJ has 2 more years after this one....so theres that as an issue... ;)

It hurts because RJ was so terrible, but imagine if we still had Hartnell on the books for four more. I'll take the player and his fire any day, but that Homer contract is a living hell.

If I'm Hextall I see if there's a deal for the McDavid pick or involving Ekblad or Seth Jones or hell maybe Subban.

Failing that, I don't worry about the lack of negotiations just yet. It's a ways off and that's hard to do bwfore the draft. I think it's rare to have a new deal in the works a year and a half ahead of time. Maybe towards the end of the off season.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be afraid to listen to offers, but they'd have to be pretty damn good.

Remember, to get the kind of numbers you're talking about they only have to free up 3 million or so and Hextall's already done that with Coburn.

It really depends on how much Del Zotto is going to cost. I would expect skmewhere in the 2.5-3 million range as an RFA, but he may push for more and he may have a point.

I wonder if the Blues make an early exit, would the thought of a Voracek for Pietrangelo cross both teams minds? The Flyers could always move Simmonds into Voracek's spot and the Flyers would get that elusive right handed defenseman. Some food for thought.

I wonder if the Blues make an early exit, would the thought of a Voracek for Pietrangelo cross both teams minds? The Flyers could always move Simmonds into Voracek's spot and the Flyers would get that elusive right handed defenseman. Some food for thought.

Poor Jake! He'll never score again under hitch. He'll win more though.

Alex P. Does have an very sensible contract for a number 1 d man. Not sure the blues give that up.

I'd consider it if I'm Hexy, if only I could figure out who would score for us then.

It hurts because RJ was so terrible, but imagine if we still had Hartnell on the books for four more. I'll take the player and his fire any day, but that Homer contract is a living hell.

Don't worry they have a backup plan.....they have Mcdud's contract on the books for 5 more years!!! No worries!!!

#onestepforwardtwostepsback

Don't worry they have a backup plan.....they have Mcdud's contract on the books for 5 more years!!! No worries!!!

#onestepforwardtwostepsback

I bet we hate him less under a different coach. His contract however we can hate a lot for a long long time.

Archived