Grading the Timonen trade

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to crystal ball a rookie's play it could've also meant fewer one goal games and larger margins of victory

I'm not sure about jammer's crystal ball. It had Crater scoring 60.

Can he use your "chicago would have won anyway" ball so we can compare the results?

:ph34r:

@flyercanuck

So you criticize me for continuing the debate on new points people bring up? Well done! :)

@radoran

Actually its in the stats, not a crystal ball.

Let's reopen this debate next season, the fanboy mentality can argue with me when I say I think he'll make a good coach and everyone can say to stop saying Hextall made a good move about that too.

I'm not sure about jammer's crystal ball. It had Crater scoring 60.

Can he use your "chicago would have won anyway" ball so we can compare the results?

:ph34r:

Jammer really said that? Yikes. ;)

Polaris and I have hidden that ball.  We suggest you fellas do the same with the "Hawks-don't-win-without-Kimmo" ball.

• 4 weeks later...

We suggest you fellas do the same with the "Hawks-don't-win-without-Kimmo" ball.

Never played with that ball. Not once. Never.

You guys are the ones with the "they would have won without him" ball.

There are more shades of gray than your black and white world here.

• 3 weeks later...

Never played with that ball. Not once. Never.

You guys are the ones with the "they would have won without him" ball.

There are more shades of gray than your black and white world here.

Sure there are.  But common sense can be applied here, too.  It's a helluva lot more.....likely?....that a guy playing an average of 4:00 a night didn't have much of an impact on the outcome of the series versus the other end of that argument that "they wouldn't have won without him".  

Sure there are.  But common sense can be applied here, too.  It's a helluva lot more.....likely?....that a guy playing an average of 4:00 a night didn't have much of an impact on the outcome of the series versus the other end of that argument that "they wouldn't have won without him".  

Just maybe Timonen's greatest impact on the team was off the ice ??

Just maybe Timonen's greatest impact on the team was off the ice ??

That horse has been turned into glue, too.  As if a team with Jesus Toews, Duncan Keith and a boatload of other grizzled veterans and coached by Joel Quenville and making their 3rd Cup run in 6 years (i.e. - they have been there before and "know what it takes to win") needed the off-ice whatever of Kimmo Timonen.  Not saying he doesn't bring anything to the table off the ice....just that this Hawks team didn't need it.  Hence the reason I think they wasted those picks.

Why is it so hard for people to just be happy he got his name on the Cup as a great way to end a long, very good career?

Paging Gummy....

Not saying he doesn't bring anything to the table off the ice....just that this Hawks team didn't need it.

And just as easily could be that Timonen in his limited time on the ice doesn't make a mistake that Trevor van Riemsdyk does make.

"Off-ice" stuff is so hard to put a value on.

Serve. Volley.

:hocky:

And just as easily could be that Timonen in his limited time on the ice doesn't make a mistake that Trevor van Riemsdyk does make.

Just as easily as a 24 year old TVR © could make a play that a 40 year old Kimmo could not.

Serve. Volley.

I'm more of a baseline to baseline player.  ;)

Just as easily as a 24 year old TVR © could make a play that a 40 year old Kimmo could not.

At which point you look for the hockey professionals in the organization to make a determination as to who they'd rather have on the ice.

I'm more of a baseline to baseline player. ;)

I prefer bass lines.

At which point you look for the hockey professionals in the organization to make a determination as to who they'd rather have on the ice.

The same professionals who didn't dress Timonen for the first 3 games of the series and limited him to a minimally impacting 4:00 per game on average for the last 3 games?

Let me put it this way.  They Hawks could have won that Cup with just about any semi-capable NHL defenseman playing those 4:00 minutes per night. TVR. Timonen. Bugs Bunny.  They didn't need him to win that Cup.

Deuce.

The same professionals who didn't dress Timonen for the first 3 games of the series and limited him to a minimally impacting 4:00 per game on average for the last 3 games?

Let me put it this way.  They Hawks could have won that Cup with just about any semi-capable NHL defenseman playing those 4:00 minutes per night. TVR. Timonen. Bugs Bunny.  They didn't need him to win that Cup.

Deuce.

It's like you haven't read this thread before.

Here, I'll help: http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/64754-grading-the-timonen-trade/page-1

Archived