• Rangers in 5
    • Rangers in 6
    • Rangers in 7
    • Penguins in 4 (Sweep)
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

Discuss Rangers vs Pens here.

Regular season series (Rangers lead 3-0-1)

Nov 11, 2014 Pittsburgh 0, New York 5

Nov 15, 2014 New York 2, Pittsburgh 3 (SO)

Dec 8, 2014 Pittsburgh 3, New York 4 (OT)

Jan 18, 2015 New York 5, Pittsburgh 2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dream mode on . . . .

Pens in four. YES!! Mark it here. Crosby and Malkin with 15 goals each and Marc Andre Fleury shuts out the Rags in four straight games . . .

Dream mode off . . .

Ahhhh, okay.  I'm awake again.

The mess on the Pens blue line is going to be a killer.  Without Letang and Maatta to lead the rush up ice, the Pens are going to play dump and chase hockey.  Add to that the fact that they have no one on the blue line that can actually be a threat to even shoot the puck, and its going to be a short series this year.   I'll give the Pens one game in the 'burgh and sadly pick the Rangers in 5. 

This is the series I will be watching every minute of every game, two teams that hate each other, the super confident Rangers versus the veteran Penguins. I expect this to be a nasty dirty series. I hope so.

IMHO the Pens are a frightened, wounded team, frightened that they are staring down the end and it gives clubs a push sometimes, knowing that this might be it. No Bylsma to blame anymore, if they lose instead of pointing fingers they need to look in the mirror.

That said, the Rangers simply have too much. Rags in 6.

@nossagog

I agree with everthing you say....however, I will give the Pens an extra game, just because.  Rangers in 6.  Expect more changes in Pens land during the offseason.  Is Johnston's job in jeopardy? 

God I hope so.  We started the year as a possession puck team, and turned into a dump and chase team in December.  Not the product I wanted to see.  Injuries happen, and we've had quite a few, and key ones, all year, but Johnston made the adjustments, its on him.

This is the series I will be watching every minute of every game, two teams that hate each other, the super confident Rangers versus the veteran Penguins. I expect this to be a nasty dirty series. I hope so.

IMHO the Pens are a frightened, wounded team, frightened that they are staring down the end and it gives clubs a push sometimes, knowing that this might be it. No Bylsma to blame anymore, if they lose instead of pointing fingers they need to look in the mirror.

That said, the Rangers simply have too much. Rags in 6.

Bylsma 2.0... Chip n chase Johnston at your service. Lets take two generational talents and grind in the corners... Blah ...,

I have the Pens winning in 5....just cause everyone will be making the obvious pick....the NYR. Fleury is playing some of his best hockey.....MAF outduels Lundy....until Lundqvist is pulled in favour of Talbot in game 4....game #5 goes into triple OT, until Perron ends the Rags season.

I agree with @yave1964

the Pens are dangerous.  I don't think they have the defensive depth to keep up with the Rags though, if the Pens can get through this round and get Letang and Erhoff back they could be the dark horse .

I have questions about Lundquist , MAF has been one of the better Pens down the stretch, actually he's been pretty great, and he does have the talent to steal a series... i don't think Crosby is right though,  I don't think Malkin is right.  And ultimately the Rangers were the better team all year, I don't think that changes.

Pens win a couple but exit in 6

Bylsma 2.0... Chip n chase Johnston at your service. Lets take two generational talents and grind in the corners... Blah ...,

It really is quite amazing how the Pens morphed throughout the season.  Beginning of the season bam...much different style of play then as the season wound down, the Pens played this dump and chase.  Agree the Pens are still dangerous and cannot be taken lightly, HOWEVER, MAF for what ever reason gets brain freezes during the playoffs..

Still gonna go with the Rangers in 6.

Johnston will be hunted down by the Pens faithful ......  AND during the off season I predict a major trade for the Pens.  Mario and company know the window is only gonna be open for so much longer on Sid and Malkin.

It really is quite amazing how the Pens morphed throughout the season.  Beginning of the season bam...much different style of play then as the season wound down, the Pens played this dump and chase.  Agree the Pens are still dangerous and cannot be taken lightly, HOWEVER, MAF for what ever reason gets brain freezes during the playoffs..

Still gonna go with the Rangers in 6.

Johnston will be hunted down by the Pens faithful ......  AND during the off season I predict a major trade for the Pens.  Mario and company know the window is only gonna be open for so much longer on Sid and Malkin.

Pilldoc, I don't know if it was the injuries, but I was excited with the new style of possession play that the Pens had.  As we lost defenseman after defenseman who were critical to that(Maatta and now Letang), Johnston changed the style of play.   I hang a lot of this on him, yes you can only do so much with the injuries, but he reverted to the style that caused us to lose in the playoffs in the past few years. 

Offseason changes?  I think Martin is gone. Saving loads of money.  The Pens should start next year with a core of Letang, Maata, Pouliot, Scuderi, Cole and Domoulin on the blue line.   Money saved with Martin can bring in a high paid forward.   If they could only get rid of Scuderi, things would be good.

Pilldoc, I don't know if it was the injuries, but I was excited with the new style of possession play that the Pens had.  As we lost defenseman after defenseman who were critical to that(Maatta and now Letang), Johnston changed the style of play.   I hang a lot of this on him, yes you can only do so much with the injuries, but he reverted to the style that caused us to lose in the playoffs in the past few years. 

Offseason changes?  I think Martin is gone. Saving loads of money.  The Pens should start next year with a core of Letang, Maata, Pouliot, Scuderi, Cole and Domoulin on the blue line.   Money saved with Martin can bring in a high paid forward.   If they could only get rid of Scuderi, things would be good.

Well said. Though I think it's Harrington over Dumoulin. No Erhoff back either - that's $9,000,000 of fun money for Rutherford Botterill to play with in order to get Johnston Babcock a scoring winger or two.  :ph34r:

Well said. Though I think it's Harrington over Dumoulin. No Erhoff back either - that's $9,000,000 of fun money for Rutherford Botterill to play with in order to get Johnston Babcock a scoring winger or two.  :ph34r:

IIIIIIII like it.

Honestly it all depends on which style the team adopts. Johnston clearly feels lethargic offense, chip and doze, and I think they're in our end hockey are the way to go. But if they ever decide to unleash the possession style they started the season with, combined with how well Fleury has played, they have a decent chance.

Here's hoping the coaches miss the plane...

@ScottM  I have it reversed, the Pens steamroll the NYR with ease, 4 games to 1......Fleury outclasses Lundy AND Talbot. Perron gets red hot and scores in 4 of the 5 games.

I like your Pageau predictions, but I think Jager is rubbing off on you here. Lol

I don't think I've ever seen Jammer make a prediction that wasn't to one extreme or another. That said, he usually seems to end up in the right direction on whomever he's talking about, even if they don't hit the lofty height or dismal depth he predicts, and I take his opinion very seriously.

Archived