Chiarelli Fired

hf101

Peter Chiarelli has been relieved of his duties as General Manager of the Boston Bruins. An interim General Manager will not be named at this time.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=763437

I expect a number of teams will be interested in his services.  (Toronto for one as he knows how to get a return on Kessel)

I can see it.

After winning the cup:

Traded Seguin for a bag of beans

Gave away Boychuk

Hutchinson

Ference

Traded Wheeler and Mark Stuart for Peverly and Valabik

Gave away Khudobin

Overpaid a bit for several vets and has the team in Cap Hell.

Overall, I feel he is responsible for dealing away a contending team. They still have enough talent to get back in contention but I do not think he was the guy to get them back. Good move.

When I saw that episode of "Behind The B", and they showed the behind-the-scenes decision making process of the decision to trade Tyler Seguin (which boiled down to "sure, he'll score lots of points for us, but he won't fight"), it didn't bode well for Chairelli's future. The entire discussion of whether they should keep or trade the future of the franchise took about 5 minutes... If it's Neely taking the job, I don't think it's any better either, if the same video was anything to judge by. It's bad enough when fans get caught up in narrative and justification, but a whole other when management does it as well.

When I saw that episode of "Behind The B", and they showed the behind-the-scenes decision making process of the decision to trade Tyler Seguin (which boiled down to "sure, he'll score lots of points for us, but he won't fight"), it didn't bode well for Chairelli's future. The entire discussion of whether they should keep or trade the future of the franchise took about 5 minutes... If it's Neely taking the job, I don't think it's any better either, if the same video was anything to judge by. It's bad enough when fans get caught up in narrative and justification, but a whole other when management does it as well.

I didin't watch that series, but wow...if THIS was at the crux of the matter.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I am all for having team toughness and who WOULDN'T want a guy who can play and rough it up...but in this day and age of NHL brand of hockey, with fighting being phased out, Neanderthal players going the way of the dodo bird, and skating, skill, and scoring taking center stage, one would THINK a premium would be put on Tyler Seguin's skillset.

No one will ever mistake Seguin for Lucic (fortunately for Tyler), but really, given the choice of the two for instance, I'd take Seguin every time.

Well, that was a heavily edited "behind the scenes" thing. They make it sound like it was a decision made in minutes, but they cut out certain aspects of it. Neely mentioned the issues "On the ice and off the ice" and the clip skipped the off the ice issues. Presumably he was a big party drinking nightlife guy in Boston, etc. They did not mention fighting. Merely that areas of his game that coaching staff have been trying to get him to work on have seen no improvement in 3 years. Specifically, that they see "Hard work from him, but if he is half a second late, he will not pay the price" Neely went on to say he will not go into the "hard" areas of the ice and take punishment, or something like that.

in any case, history is showing they are wrong and gave up too quick on him. but Maybe the trade was the splash of cold water in Seguin's face needed to want to prove them wrong.

Impossible to say.

Well, that was a heavily edited "behind the scenes" thing. They make it sound like it was a decision made in minutes, but they cut out certain aspects of it. Neely mentioned the issues "On the ice and off the ice" and the clip skipped the off the ice issues. Presumably he was a big party drinking nightlife guy in Boston, etc. They did not mention fighting. Merely that areas of his game that coaching staff have been trying to get him to work on have seen no improvement in 3 years. Specifically, that they see "Hard work from him, but if he is half a second late, he will not pay the price" Neely went on to say he will not go into the "hard" areas of the ice and take punishment, or something like that.

in any case, history is showing they are wrong and gave up too quick on him. but Maybe the trade was the splash of cold water in Seguin's face needed to want to prove them wrong.

Impossible to say.

I was simplifying things re: the fighting, because there were a bunch of things, part of it surrounding his lack of being a Big Bad Bruin. What I'm saying is that these are the usual types of comments made when people are attempting to justify a poor decision, and all without any real element.

-He won't pay the price

-He's a half-second late

-He doesn't fit with our culture

-He doesn't go to the hard areas of the ice

That's mostly horseshit, the last one especially. The perimeter scorer? Gone from the modern age of hockey. The only way to consistently score points is to take the puck into contested space and beat other players, which Seguin has always done. Not one of those geniuses stood up and made note of the fact that, even if those are real issues, the Bruins were a WAY better team with Tyler Seguin on the ice than off of it. It was an echo chamber of forced narrative.

You don't always get punished immediately for poor choices, but they have a funny habit of coming back at you.

Traded Seguin for a bag of beans
Gave away Boychuk
Hutchinson
Ference
Traded Wheeler and Mark Stuart for Peverly and Valabik
Gave away Khudobin

Overpaid a bit for several vets and has the team in Cap Hell.

Pretty sound list.

Plus, he and Julien didn't do anything about the selfish attitudes of Lucic and Marchand.  

If he was fired mainly for the Bruins disappointing year. Then that's absurdly stupid, the inconsistency of all the players is what got them out of the playoffs

Pretty sound list.

Plus, he and Julien didn't do anything about the selfish attitudes of the hunchback of notredame and Ratatouille.  

I know my disney movies  ;)

Yeah, that was the infamous show where the Bruins brain thrust sat around a big table and said they traded Seguin "because he didn't play Bruin hockey"....LMAO!

• 1 month later...

They said he did not produce while Julien had him playing with Campbell and Peverly on the 4th line as a checking winger with limited ice time. Never put him for a long enough time in his natural position. The Julien did the same thing with Spooner till injuries forced his hand. Should have moved Krecji for Ekblad's pick and let Seguin take the 2nd centre spot. Image Seguin, Pastrnak,Marchand as a line for the future and anchored by Hamilton and Ekblad.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't be shocked if you see him swoop in and offer sheet Hamilton since they have limited cap space...it would be his way of giving his X employer the finger and stealing and young defenseman....

I wouldn't be shocked if you see him swoop in and offer sheet Hamilton since they have limited cap space...it would be his way of giving his X employer he finger and stealing and young defenseman....

A lot of people have been thinking the same.

If not them someone should jump in and do it.

Lots of RFA targets this season on cap ruined teams.

Saad and Kruger in Chicago. Saad for obvious reasons, and Kruger for the reason that he is one of the best bottom 6 in the league. Does everything but score.

Toffoli on the Kings.

Hamilton is the most intriguing target though. Very young Dman who has already shown he can play as a #1. A 1st, 2nd and 3rd is a small price to pay given you know what you are getting.

Archived