The omnibus fixing the lottery thread

icehole

This current draft lottery system is horrible. I found myself rooting for the team I love to lose just to so they could get a better draft position. That shouldn't happen. Also,is the NHL getting any buzz by having a bad team in western Canada draft young stars to be on a bad team year after year. Edmonton is a good hockey town too...imagine if Florida or Arizona would be getting these picks. Nobody would know who these players are.

I have a fix that is so simple and also affective. Instead of giving the highest percentage of getting the #1 pick to the worst of the 14 non playoff teams,why not give the highest percentage to the best of the 14 non playoff teams?

If your team is on the bubble,they are scratching and clawing to get in. If they just miss the playoffs,getting that #1 or 2 pick will propel them into the playoffs and maybe deeper into the playoffs.

There will also be more changes in that 10-14 spot than there are in the 1-5 spots. If bad teams are consistently bad and don't do anything to get better,that's their fault and they don't deserve a good pick. I'm sure if they are consistently out of the playoffs,they'll get a high pick sooner or later.

I find the idea very intriguing. However, I agree FC, this year was a bit of an aberration. But, it would have fixed the Penguins and Edmonton being bad that long by FORCING them to get better without relying on the safety net of the draft. Conversely, Edm has had 4 of the 6 last 1st picks and are still crappy. And unless they make other changes they will be still be a crappy but higher scoring team with McDavid. He can't play 60 min a game and be in 2 zones at the same time. There gonna need at least an average defense to compete for a playoff spot no matter what McDavid does (and once he starts drinking when he realizes he is stuck there his performance will drop) ! Kidding..., I hope.

Well, I'm for anything that fixes a team getting 4 out of 6 1st rounders. And a team that seems to kill their careers on top of it (maybe the 4th time is the charm). If I'm RNH and company I'm lining up at the GM's door and saying " Congratulations on the 1st round pick and McDavid. It looks to me like someone has to be sacrificed boss! I'll do it. I'll take the bullet and a trade wherever you have to send me boss"...

I like the idea of not allowing a team to get B2B #1 picks, but I don't agree with rewarding teams that are already on the margins of the playoffs at the expense of teams that are legitimately bad.

Perhaps a weighted system based upon where teams finished the previous year(s) would help as well?

If bad teams are consistently bad and don't do anything to get better,that's their fault and they don't deserve a good pick.

What, exactly, is Edmonton (for example) supposed to have done to "get better"?

They can't force teams to trade them good players - and if UFAs don't want to sign there, the only chance they have to improve is through the draft. And there are precious few UFAs who willingly decide to go to a longstanding horrible team with little hope of improvement.

The Islanders wouldn't be where they are, for example, if not for the draft. Heck, several players (Nabokov, Visnovsky) at least initially balked at the idea of going there via trade. The proliferation of NMC/NTCs doesn't help, either.

Whereas a Matt Moulson, for example, might choose to sign with a Buffalo, for example, because of the possibility they would get a top line pick.

Instead of giving the highest percentage of getting the #1 pick to the worst of the 14 non playoff teams,why not give the highest percentage to the best of the 14 non playoff teams?

I suggested this exact system a month ago. LOL. :D

It makes perfect sense. Encourage teams to try and make the playoffs. What a noble concept. No wonder the league hasn't adopted it. It makes too much sense.   :confused[1]:  

@icehole

This was a deep draft with 2 really good players at the top. That doesn't happen often, and neither does tanking.

Neither does 10-0-72, but the very fact that it's possible (yet easily preventable) is the problem.

This was a year that exposed the NHL's flawed draft system (again). How many more hits will the league take to its reputation before they fix it?

I like the idea of not allowing a team to get B2B #1 picks, but I don't agree with rewarding teams that are already on the margins of the playoffs at the expense of teams that are legitimately bad.

Perhaps a weighted system based upon where teams finished the previous year(s) would help as well?

This is why the pick should go to a middle of the pack team, say the 7th or 8th worst team. :ph34r:

I feel like the league had something like that at one point, though it was weighted in favor of teams that had been bad consistantly, vs a team that fell out of the playoffs due to a fluke bad season. I can't find a reference to it now, but I could swear at one point there was a rule about the last three years' finishes.

I still don't know that the lottery needs "fixing," or what this year's lottery results proved. Buffalo, who many will say very obviously "tanked" (or rebuilt, depending on your point of view), didn't win the lottery and was relegated to the 2nd overall pick. With one ball remaining to be drawn, Toronto, Carolina, Buffalo, and Edmonton were all in the running for the top pick. In the end, Edmonton, which was not competetive but didn't "tank," won the lottery. I fail to see any issue with the result.

Here is my lottery fix.

Treat the bottom 8 teams in the league as equals.  Organizations enjoy their playoff money so I still think we will still see 1 or two teams from each division desperately playing to make the playoffs.

Draw randomly each of the bottom 8 teams for picks 1 -8.  The remainder of the league's picks continue as is currently done in the NHL.

Once the league has and equal number of teams in each division -- choose the bottom 8 teams by the two worst records in each division, and by lottery pick 1-8.

I feel like the league had something like that at one point, though it was weighted in favor of teams that had been bad consistantly, vs a team that fell out of the playoffs due to a fluke bad season. I can't find a reference to it now, but I could swear at one point there was a rule about the last three years' finishes.

I still don't know that the lottery needs "fixing," or what this year's lottery results proved. Buffalo, who many will say very obviously "tanked" (or rebuilt, depending on your point of view), didn't win the lottery and was relegated to the 2nd overall pick. With one ball remaining to be drawn, Toronto, Carolina, Buffalo, and Edmonton were all in the running for the top pick. In the end, Edmonton, which was not competetive but didn't "tank," won the lottery. I fail to see any issue with the result.

Buffalo wins either way. I'm surprised most people aren't understanding this. By finishing 30th, Buffalo gets #1 or #2. If you look at the history of NHL drafts, it's like saying you can have Crosby or Ovechkin. Or you can have Stamkos or Tavares. You win either way. It's a slam dunk. The Sabres are bitching because they finished #2 instead of #1, but they still won the lottery by gaining a franchise player. It's a loophole that guarantees tanking for 30th.

I would like to see an NHL draft system with a "memory": If you win the 1st overall pick in 2015, then you cannot win the 1st overall pick in 2016, 2017, or 2018, regardless of where you finish in the standings. You are removed from the draft lottery as far as #1 is concerned.  :)

I'm not bitchen that the Oilers won the draft this year. I'm bitching that they won three others and still are not competitive. They couldn't develop some sort of defense in all these years? Even the Flyers who have not been good at drafting and developing youth have a nice crop of young d-men coming up the ranks. McDavid might finally give Edm a boost (and I mean the room to trade RNH or others for D) but they still are gonna lose until they address other issues. The draft wasn't intended for a team to get 4 out of 6 1st picks and half a decade latter still suck. It was supposed to get a team a marque player and then fill out the roster with other talent, home grown or otherwise. Edm has done little other than collect the 1st picks and do nothing else. No one wants to go there because they can all see it. It's pretty clear McDavid doesn't want to. I suspect he will play good soldier. The real winner is whoever gets traded out of there to make room for McDavid and D help.

Buffalo wins either way. I'm surprised most people aren't understanding this. By finishing 30th, Buffalo gets #1 or #2. If you look at the history of NHL drafts, it's like saying you can have Crosby or Ovechkin. Or you can have Stamkos or Tavares. You win either way. It's a slam dunk. The Sabres are bitching because they finished #2 instead of #1, but they still won the lottery by gaining a franchise player. It's a loophole that guarantees tanking for 30th.

I would like to see an NHL draft system with a "memory": If you win the 1st overall pick in 2015, then you cannot win the 1st overall pick in 2016, 2017, or 2018, regardless of where you finish in the standings. You are removed from the draft lottery as far as #1 is concerned.  :)

It's a loophole that is fixed next year but might very well create a worse scenerio. They ping pong ball the first 3 picks starting next year. So, the 30th team can fall to 4th. That might fix it OR put more teams into the tanking mode to get better odds knowing they have 3 chances at the one of the top 3. I lean towards it being more of a fix though.

Enough with this crap idea. The teams that just missed are already competitive. They're not the ones that need a talent to bring them up. The lottery system already gives teams that don't necessarily need the pick a chance to get them. And as @radoran said... If nobody willingly goes there how else can they get better if not a weighted draft?

Stop trying to fix something that's not broken.

I'm not bitchen that the Oilers won the draft this year. I'm bitching that they won three others and still are not competitive. They couldn't develop some sort of defense in all these years? Even the Flyers who have not been good at drafting and developing youth have a nice crop of young d-men coming up the ranks. McDavid might finally give Edm a boost (and I mean the room to trade RNH or others for D) but they still are gonna lose until they address other issues. The draft wasn't intended for a team to get 4 out of 6 1st picks and half a decade latter still suck. It was supposed to get a team a marque player and then fill out the roster with other talent, home grown or otherwise. Edm has done little other than collect the 1st picks and do nothing else. No one wants to go there because they can all see it. It's pretty clear McDavid doesn't want to. I suspect he will play good soldier. The real winner is whoever gets traded out of there to make room for McDavid and D help.

Taylor Hall to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for the Leafs 4th overall pick in this year's draft.  :)

And we'll throw in Phaneuf. Just take his contract.

*** OR ***

Edmonton sends McDavid to the Leafs in exchange for the Leafs two first round draft picks this year. And we'll still throw Phaneuf in there. Just take his contract.

• 3 weeks later...

God, don't bring that up. Usually you have to suck for a year or five to get a #1 overall. Those jack asses didn't even play that season and still won the lottery.

I believe he was their fifth top 5 pick in 5 years too if I'm remembering correctly.

The way the NHl handled that lottery is just an awful stain on their history and they shackled over it by handing the Pens and Crosby the mantle of favorite sons to distract everyone from the fact that the league played favorites with Mario's failing franchise.

I think there should be a rule that if you get 3 top five picks in a row, you automatically aren't in the lottery the next draft r regardless of whether you make the playoffs.

I think the lottery should have a rule that you can't win it 2 years in a row. Just look at EDM. Keep the teams in the lottery, but if said team wins it for a 2nd consecutive year, the order just stays the same 

I think the lottery should have a rule that you can't win it 2 years in a row. Just look at EDM. Keep the teams in the lottery, but if said team wins it for a 2nd consecutive year, the order just stays the same

That too. I don't think the order needs to stay the same. They just can't win it no matter where hey finish. I'm still not sure I think the lottery is fair at all anyway.

No one tried to lose this year. The Sabres and Oilers were playing their best hockey down the stretch. The Yotes didn't have any best hockey to play, but the point is, with the best prospect since Gretzky on the line (people like him better than Crosby) no knee tried to lose.

Archived