• Rangers in 4 (Sweep)
    • Rangers in 5
    • Rangers in 6
    • Rangers in 7
    • Capitals in 4 (Sweep)
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7

An incredible series coming our way. Barry Trotz VS. Alain Vigneault. Holtby VS. Lundqvist. Ovechkin VS. Nash.

I give the edge to the Rangers in seven games. AV is just an incredible coach and the Rags seem to be clicking. If Ovi can be more of a presence in this series than the last one, look out. I think the rangers will contain him well and the Rangers will be in the ECF.

Not sure who would have made a more hated rival for the Rangers...the Isles or Caps.

Either way, the Rangers would have had their hands full....probably more-so with the Caps, but then again, that is only a matter of opinion.

Very exciting, very "ooooo, ahhhh" type series I am anticipating here.

Trip the Eastern Finals are on the line.

The Rangers have what the Caps want.

Hated to do it, but after much thought, I went ahead and voted Caps in 7..... Grrrr...

I really don't want that happening, but to be honest, Washington as a unit, is just coming together with a package of speed, skill, size, aggressiveness, competent defense, and good goaltending with Brayden Holtby.

Long gone are the all offense Caps who skimped big time on defense........now we have a Barry Trotz driven team that has even guys like Alex Ovechkin doing as much hitting as scoring and are quite nasty to deal with in their own end as well.

Just a very dangerous combination in Washington.

Kevin Klein will be playing in this series for New York, and that should be a boost as he is a good skater and plays a physical brand of hockey that will be sorely needed against Washington.

Matts Zuccarello, on the other hand, is out indefinitely.  

• 2 weeks later...

What the hell Washington? You had the Rangers on the ropes twice and couldn't finish them off? Get it together.

Or at least take Kreider's punk ass out. Every time I see that guy I want to punch him in the face. Actually, I can't stand pretty much anybody on that team except Lundqvist and McDonagh.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Maybe OV should start off by scoring more than ONE goal in a series before guaranteeing a win?

That would certainly help.

I mean, if anyone on the Lightning were to guarantee a win (I HOPE no one on there is that stupid...lol), it WOULDN'T be Stamkos, captain's C or no...it would probably be Tyler Johnson.

At any rate, Ovie has put himself out there now....can't take it back.

If his team wins, he will be glorified by his supporters, dubbed lucky by his detractors but he won't care because he will be going to the ECF.

If his team LOSES...ohhhh, boy....look out.

His supporters will need to find a bazillion reasons why it was someone else's fault (nevermind that Ovie opened his mouth and made a guarantee), and his detractors will have an absolute FIELD day with the guy....and Ovie WILL care because he won't be going to the ECF.

Oh, and he will probably get a super dose of the "Ovie Sucks" chant three times, as Rangers fans at MSG are apt to do the last few times NY and Wash have met in the post season, whenever the period clock ticks down to 8:00 left.

That's actually pretty clever and funny.

Getting a whole arena, on cue, as time ticks down from 8:05, 8:04, 8:03, 8:02, 8:01......8:00....."OVIE SUCKS! OVIE SUCKS! OVIE SUCKS!"

How about THAT for a 'great eight', eh?  :D

The most Godawful boring series of the year. Nearly unwatchable. Oh look, the Rangers take a low percentage shot, blocked by Holtby. Oh look, the Capitals down the ice, they get off a low percentage shot, blocked by the King. Just plain boring hockey. Too much skill on the two teams to play this bad of hockey. Every shift they could call a holding penalty on someone. I like defense as much as anyone but ugh.

The whole OV guarantee thing is all media hype, nothing more.     Asked after Sunday's loss whether his team could come back and win game 7 in MSG he says.

"We're going to come back and win the series," Ovechkin told reporters after the game. "We're going to play our game, and we're going to come back and we're going to play Montreal or Tampa."

That's hardly a gaurantee, and something probably EVERY player in the locker room said.  Honestly, what answer was expected?  "Well, we played our best game tonight and we lost, so I don't give us any chance in game 7"? Asked that question, his only answer would be to say he was confident they would win game 7. 

Hype for the sake of hype. Maybe the NHL should do something to make the games more exciting, then there would be something factual to actually talk about.

The most Godawful boring series of the year. Nearly unwatchable. Oh look, the Rangers take a low percentage shot, blocked by Holtby. Oh look, the Capitals down the ice, they get off a low percentage shot, blocked by the King. Just plain boring hockey. Too much skill on the two teams to play this bad of hockey. Every shift they could call a holding penalty on someone. I like defense as much as anyone but ugh.

I have an ongoing argument with a guy here at work.  He claims that it's the defensive "systems" being played.   I disagree.    I don't mind a defensive system at all.   Systems can be broken down, especially in a seven game series where you can adjust.   But when you take a defensive system, and add to that a total lack of enforcement of the rulebook for hooking/holding/interference, and this is what you get.   I must say, they league must have had a talk with the Refs after round one because at least they are calling SOME impedence penalties, but its still rampant.

That being said, I'd guess for game 7, you're going to have to high stick someone to get a call, and even then maybe only if you draw blood. 1-0 in overtime for someone.

I wonder what this loss will mean for the Capitals for next season and beyond.

They had a club that possibly could have contended for a Stanley Cup this year....but with yet another stop before even the ECF and with a TON of UFA's and RFA's on the team, one has to wonder how different this team will look come the 2015-16 season.

The thought had occurred to me that, despite how it sounds, this loss might actually be a blessing in disguise for the Caps.

How?

Well, for the most part, head coach Barry Trotz had inherited a group that had failed to do any more than it had this series.

Sure, he got them playing more responsible hockey, tougher hockey, while still keeping their offensive edge.

Still though, with all the expiring contracts, I am thinking perhaps now Trotz can get in the ear of the Washington GM and let him know the kind of players he'd like to add to the core in order to not only continue the kind of play he started with the previous group, but WIN playing his way.

Also nice for Washington that Braydon Holtby has come into his own and should be a regular top tier goaltender moving forward.

This part isn't as surprising to me, as I have seen Holtby grow slowly and steadily over the last several seasons....even while backstopping poor defensive Caps teams.

But now, Holtby has more of the NHL's attention.

At any rate, the Rangers move on to defend their Eastern Championship against the Tampa Bay Lightining (yay!), while the Capitals go answer some off season questions.

Archived