Babcock has narrowed it down to 3....Detroit, Philly and Buffalo...

jammer2

The Sabres, Sharks and Blues have a combined zero Stanley Cups between them. Same as us....how were we considered "winners" then?

I know you probably came in during the Lindros era....but you are aware we won a few Cups....back in the 70's.....ringing a bell???

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's odd...The Blues (still) have a coach.

Well Hitch said he needed some time away to reflect and see if he wanted to come back.

Maybe he decided or they are going to decide for him...something is up.

@jammer2

And according to a news source, Babcock specifically started talks with the sharks.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/report-sharks-speak-babcock-week

A source informed CSNCalifornia.com that Babcock, 52, initiated the upcoming discussions with the Sharks, and the Sharks were obviously receptive to the offer.

Kinda strange. Just last week, Sharks owner Hasso Plattner was talking to the media basically saying "We lose money, so we won't be spending a bunch".

Why would Babcock start talks with the Sharks instead of vice versa? I know he has a huge hard on for Vlasic and Marleau, but that is kinda out of left field.

And the owner has already come out and acknowledged the players hate him....

Blues owner: Just because players may ‘hate’ their coach, not necessarily a reason to fire the coach

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/13/blues-owner-just-because-players-may-hate-their-coach-not-necessarily-a-reason-to-fire-the-coach/

I'm guessing that Hextall was never really in the Babcock sweepstakes to begin with.  Despite my very long-winded posts about the convention of meeting in person vs. phone, it probably means that Hextall's interest is elsewhere.   Those guessing Dineen are probably right.  

I'm not sure whether or not I'm disappointed, to be honest.   Kind of numb with all of it, to be honest.

I work 4 on then 4 off one month of days then one month nights...i go to days next friday!!!

I work 4 on and 4 off too. 2 days followed by 2 nights followed by 4 days off.

Sometimes I get OT in-between those shifts or on my days off. Its a nice schedule.

I work 4 on and 4 off too. 2 days followed by 2 nights followed by 4 days off.

Sometimes I get OT in-between those shifts or on my days off. Its a nice schedule.

Wow that doesn't give you much time to adjust your sleep...i wouldn't like that.

Um....check out team #2....yeah, that is 2nd best winning percentage of all time.....and starting to catch the Habs..........sooooo...

If the Habs play ~.500 (82 pts)  Hockey and the Flyers play ~.600 (98pts), the Flyers will surpass them in just 8 years. 

Add the St. Louis Blues and San Jose Sharks to the list of teams willing to part with the necessary compensation to land the NHL's hottest free-agent coaching candidate.

Mike Babcock is said to have spoken with Blues general manager Doug Armstrong while taking in the World Championship in Prague, and will meet with the Sharks early this week before settling on a decision, according to MLive's Ansar Khan.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/766275

Now THAT would make sense! Babcock could help the Blues "get over the hump". The Red Wings are a team in decline, while the Blues are ready to ascend to a Stanley Cup next year.

The Sharks meanwhile, are ready to rebuild and start over. San Jose would be about as bad as going to Toronto.   :(

If the Blues are in the race, that's where I think Babcock will end up. If he doesn't leave Detroit now he will be fired next season in Detroit anyway. (Coaching shelf life as per usual.)  :)

Now THAT would make sense! Babcock could help the Blues "get over the hump". The Red Wings are a team in decline, while the Blues are ready to ascend to a Stanley Cup next year.

The Sharks meanwhile, are ready to rebuild and start over. San Jose would be about as bad as going to Toronto.   :(

If the Blues are in the race, that's where I think Babcock will end up. If he doesn't leave Detroit now he will be fired next season in Detroit anyway. (Coaching shelf life as per usual.)  :)

Completely agree with this. The Blues have tried a few RedWings in the past....Chris Osgood and Manny Legace...maybe another i'm forgetting... 

You know, I really have nothing against Hitch other than his choices in golf coaches.  But that in itself is enough to make me gleeful over the prospect.

The Blues will STILL find a way to screw it up, though.

You know, I really have nothing against Hitch other than his choices in golf coaches.  But that in itself is enough to make me gleeful over the prospect.

The Blues will STILL find a way to screw it up, though.

I just think in terms of fit, the Blues make sense for Babcock because he wants to win now. He could be the coach that helps lead them to their first ever Stanley Cup.

The other teams aren't really options at all:

- Toronto is entering rebuild number ten billion. They're going to be worse next year!

- Buffalo is starting from ground zero. They are years away from winning anything.

- Philadelphia has a mess to sort out. They always bounce back quickly, but there's major work to do.

- San Jose is about to blow up their roster and start over. They're entering a down cycle.

- Detroit is on the cusp of starting a rebuild and wants to make changes. (Including coaching.)

If they don't screw it up of course.  :)

- Philadelphia has a mess to sort out. They always bounce back quickly, but there's major work to do.

Well we know now this job is off the board.........odd how much Hak looks like Babcock....no???

I just think in terms of fit, the Blues make sense for Babcock because he wants to win now. He could be the coach that helps lead them to their first ever Stanley Cup.

The other teams aren't really options at all:

- Toronto is entering rebuild number ten billion. They're going to be worse next year!

- Buffalo is starting from ground zero. They are years away from winning anything.

- San Jose is about to blow up their roster and start over. They're entering a down cycle.

- Detroit is on the cusp of starting a rebuild and wants to make changes. (Including coaching.)

If they don't screw it up of course.  :)

Retool, not rebuild :P

They played 5-6 rookies on the roster this season and almost made the playoffs. Some rookies turned out better than expected. The whole point of the "rebuild/Retool" was to not trade away picks, and it has been going on for 3 years. Trading Clowe and Murray for multiple 2nd's, stuart for a 2nd, etc

The Tierney/Hertl combo was deadly in the last 12 games. Karlsson had an amazing rookie campaign. Mueller looked great compared to Irwin/Hannan and is likely a roster lock now.

Wilson already said he expects the upswing back this season and he felt the torch is being adequately passed to Couture/Vlasic/Pavelski from Thornton/Marleau. Sharks have a pretty young Roster bud. Average age is 27. The only old guys on the roster are Marleau/Thornton, and they have 2 years left with no intention to waive.

The Sharks owner got on the mic last week and shot Wilson a look when he mentioned we needed a defenseman or two, and from Wilson's comments, I actually expect them to make some moves this offseason. Of course the owner also implied he has no interest in paying a mint for a coach, which is why Babcock seeking out San Jose for talks instead of vice versa caught me by surprise. Babcock has long been praising and wishing he had specific players like Marleau/Burns/Vlasic.

Sharks need a goalie, defenseman and we are set to compete again. Everyone knows how bad the tandem of Niemi/Stalock was and how TMac was making strange lineup choices by the end there.

Karlsson/Thornton/Pavelski

Marleau/Couture/Wingels

Hertl/Tierney/Donskoi

Goodrow/Smith/Nieto

Torres/Brown LTIR

Vlasic/Burns

Dillon/Braun

Mueller/??????(UFA or Trade for Spurgeon)

Cam Talbot/Ramo(Trade with cap strapped Rangers or UFA)

Stalock

Sharks now have a glut of top 6 forward prospects. Goldobin, Lebanc, Chartier, Jevpalovs, and I can see Nieto or Wingels being dangled as trade bait for a top 4 Dman like Spurgeon or using one of our 2016 2nd rounders as a plus)

Also, we have 20 million in cap space. Which is, well, a TON of room to make moves.

Retool, not rebuild :P

They played 5-6 rookies on the roster this season and almost made the playoffs. Some rookies turned out better than expected. The whole point of the "rebuild/Retool" was to not trade away picks, and it has been going on for 3 years. Trading Clowe and Murray for multiple 2nd's, stuart for a 2nd, etc

The Tierney/Hertl combo was deadly in the last 12 games. Karlsson had an amazing rookie campaign. Mueller looked great compared to Irwin/Hannan and is likely a roster lock now.

Wilson already said he expects the upswing back this season and he felt the torch is being adequately passed to Couture/Vlasic/Pavelski from Thornton/Marleau. Sharks have a pretty young Roster bud. Average age is 27. The only old guys on the roster are Marleau/Thornton, and they have 2 years left with no intention to waive.

The Sharks owner got on the mic last week and shot Wilson a look when he mentioned we needed a defenseman or two, and from Wilson's comments, I actually expect them to make some moves this offseason. Of course the owner also implied he has no interest in paying a mint for a coach, which is why Babcock seeking out San Jose for talks instead of vice versa caught me by surprise. Babcock has long been praising and wishing he had specific players like Marleau/Burns/Vlasic.

Sharks need a goalie, defenseman and we are set to compete again. Everyone knows how bad the tandem of Niemi/Stalock was and how TMac was making strange lineup choices by the end there.

Karlsson/Thornton/Pavelski

Marleau/Couture/Wingels

Hertl/Tierney/Donskoi

Goodrow/Smith/Nieto

Torres/Brown LTIR

Vlasic/Burns

Dillon/Braun

Mueller/??????(UFA or Trade for Spurgeon)

Cam Talbot/Ramo(Trade with cap strapped Rangers or UFA)

Stalock

Sharks now have a glut of top 6 forward prospects. Goldobin, Lebanc, Chartier, Jevpalovs, and I can see Nieto or Wingels being dangled as trade bait for a top 4 Dman like Spurgeon or using one of our 2016 2nd rounders as a plus)

Also, we have 20 million in cap space. Which is, well, a TON of room to make moves.

What's the latest on Goldobin? Another year in the FEL?

What's the latest on Goldobin? Another year in the FEL?

I watched the Worchester playoffs. GOD is that kid stick thin. He was definitely having problems in the AHL sharks. needs another year in the AHL I think.

Archived