Contract talks begin for Del Zotto

hf101

@jammer2

He's definately young enough to have some upside left in him. Normally that might be good enough. But DZ has also shown that he can be a total effup. I'd like to think that he's learned his lesson and will continue to work hard...but I don't see why he can't prove it one more time before getting a bigger payday. If he's from the Tridel Del Zotto family (and it's not exactly a common name) he's really not playing for the money anyway.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Next year will be Del Zotto's 7th season.  After next year he will be a UFA.  He played in the league at 19.

Well then it sounds like he will either get a one year deal then or if he wants to give them a home team discount give them a bargin on the 2nd year or who knows they could trade him. He doesn't have any leverage.

I thought he was about to be UFA.

4M for 3Y might not be a bad option But it woukdwoukwould be my ceiling. I'm starting in the low 3ms.

I would be ok with a 1 year deal...

It shouldn't be.  The Flyers need to rebuild, not long-term contracts for D-men who have major question marks.

I get what you are saying Makinaw....I have the same reservations myself....but the other side of the coin is, this guy can run a pp, has a legit chance at 40+ pts if he was on the top pp....those kinda guys don't grow on trees. If the 37 year old Mark Streit goes down, who runs your top pp?  The top pp is far more important to the Flyers than any other team, this team simply cannot score 5 on 5 to save their lives, so you MUST have an emergency back up plan for the top pp qb....or the season is over when and if Streit goes down. Right now, Flyers have nobody else but MDZ who fits this role.....so that must be factored in as well.

I get what you are saying Makinaw....I have the same reservations myself....but the other side of the coin is, this guy can run a pp, has a legit chance at 40+ pts if he was on the top pp....those kinda guys don't grow on trees. If the 37 year old Mark Streit goes down, who runs your top pp?  The top pp is far more important to the Flyers than any other team, this team simply cannot score 5 on 5 to save their lives, so you MUST have an emergency back up plan for the top pp qb....or the season is over when and if Streit goes down. Right now, Flyers have nobody else but MDZ who fits this role.....so that must be factored in as well.

Hey for a few years, he'd be a fine option.  But if he's wanting 4-5 years, do you think it'd be wise?

You guys should nab THIS guy this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EMCt6GNLx4

Personally, I think 3 x 3.5 would be fair to both sides. If he maintains (or improves) his level of play then he gets the big payday at 27. With Streit not getting younger and the prospects probably 2-3 years from making a real impact the Flyers will need someone with MDZ's skills. And those skills don't come cheap.

Hey for a few years, he'd be a fine option.  But if he's wanting 4-5 years, do you think it'd be wise?

You guys should nab THIS guy this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EMCt6GNLx4

Yeah, I've seen that clip a few times, does not really impress me. He looks like he has ok speed, not overpowering speed (at least on this rush anyways). The big thing for me is guy at the blue line, some weak kinda wave at the puck, SUPER weak....if he tried that against a NHL player, he would have been leveled at the blue line. The whole team played some very weak defense on that goal. That is one of those junior goals that would never happen in the NHL IMHO.

MDZ had one decent year(along with a stretch in the pizza bin) out of three,not exactly star specs. I'd like to see him with another season under his Flyer's uniform to be convinced he has accepted the cure.

yeah, that would be prudent. Giving him more than 2 years at this point is a dangerous proposition.

but at this rate......so much for one of the kids making the team from camp. Signing Del Zotto puts 8 defensemen under contract next season.

Gotta wish they could dump Mcdud or Grossman. but Luke Schenn is the most likely to garner any sort of return if shipped.

Realistically, Streit could be moved at the deadline IF you have another PP option.

If he's got 2 years until he's FA, why not make him show you what he's capable of? If he earns it, then he gets the longer deal. I have no problem paying guys what they're worth. The Flyers problem is they pay guys on what they hope they're worth.

Or what they were worth in the past.

@brelic  I can't think of the last past his prime star the Flyers have added that actually worked out. Streit might qualify, but for the most part, the Flyers should stay FAR away from this crap.

@brelic I can't think of the last past his prime star the Flyers have added that actually worked out. Streit might qualify, but for the most part, the Flyers should stay FAR away from this crap.

Streit, Jagr, Pronger

@brelic  I can't think of the last past his prime star the Flyers have added that actually worked out. Streit might qualify, but for the most part, the Flyers should stay FAR away from this crap.

Pronger sans injury would have. Same with Forsberg.

Roenick had some good years with the flyers. Lead the team in scoring a few times, went to the conference finals.

Tony Amonte ... powerhouse for Chicago, practically useless in the O&B... Beezer...not that he stunk in Philly, he was just past his prime. So many others...

I thought Jagr was a nice additon, but damn...management should have seen the Pronger injuries coming from a mile away....the guy has played more than 2 full seasons of playoff hockey alone....way to much wear and tear to make that kind of investment.

Tony Amonte ... powerhouse for Chicago, practically useless in the O&B... Beezer...not that he stunk in Philly, he was just past his prime. So many others...

Lets not even talk about Verstink. Sucks for the Flyers, yet goes to the Hawks and looks serviceable....pfffft. Somebody else got the best Mike York...(LMAO!), cause it was certainly not us!!

Streit, Jagr, Pronger

Agreed on all 3. Even with the career-ending injury I say Pronger did "work out" for the Flyers because he brought the team exactly what it needed, at exactly the right time.

It would've been interesting to see how the Flyers matured as a team (mostly Richards Carter and Lupul) if Pronger hadn't gotten hurt and that team had stayed together a few more years under Lavy...kept Briere, kept Leino, KILLED Leighton and worked Bob into the mix better.

Lets not even talk about Verstink. Sucks for the Flyers, yet goes to the Hawks and looks serviceable

he did look serviceable - perfect word for it - for awhile but lately he's been scratched fairly often - healthy scratch. JQ may play him tonight supposedly to get "fresh legs" into the lineup - one story I read reported Boudreau may be doing the same with Fleishmann - who knows?

Archived