Hamilton to Flames for picks

Other teams must be happy that Boston has these picks. They can rely on the very good Boston scouts to make good picks so they can later trade their trash for them.

And the winners of the Kessel trade......Calgary and Dallas

I guess this is the start of full rebuilding in Beantown, with he and Lucic leaving. Can't believe they got a 14th, 45th and 52nd. Good deal for both teams.

You can't believe a 21 year old future #1, current #2 Dman got a 1st and two 2nd's?

The guy took over when Chara was injured and did amazing. At age 21, and Dmen usually peak at 27

This deal is highway Robbery.

Edit: and how is giving Hamilton away the start of the rebuild? He is the type you WANT to keep for a rebuild

You can't believe a 21 year old future #1, current #2 Dman got a 1st and two 2nd's?

The guy took over when Chara was injured and did amazing. At age 21, and Dmen usually peak at 27

This deal is highway Robbery.

Edit: and how is giving Hamilton away the start of the rebuild? He is the type you WANT to keep for a rebuild

1) They didn't give Hamilton away. They got 3 high picks for him. 2) I was referring to Lucic much more than Hamilton in talking about a rebuild.

1) They didn't give Hamilton away. They got 3 high picks for him. 2) I was referring to Lucic much more than Hamilton in talking about a rebuild.

Listening to the FAN590 out of Toronto (sports radio) and they are saying that Lucic is possibly heading to LA.

People pray to god they get a Douggie Hamilton with multiple high picks year after year instead of a bust.

When you finally get him, you don't trade him for more high picks

This deal is highway Robbery

It absolutely is. There was an article in the Boston Globe this morning, the Bruins had met with Hamilton's agent but apparently they were still far apart. I'm really surprised they didn't just qualify him but I guess they felt they would end up losing him as a UFA. I'm surprised they couldn't get more for him though.

I am in SHOCK that the Bruins traded Dougie for picks. First off, NO WAY will the 15th pick in this draft be better than Hamilton. He is a legit #1 d-man in 2 short years....WOW...they pull off highway robbery in the Lucic deal and SCREW THE POOCH on this Hamilton trade.....WTF is goin on there in Boston???   YOU DO NOT trade away a d-man that good for picks...especially a mid round 1st and a few 2nds...NOW WAY, NO HOW!!!!

I am in SHOCK that the Bruins traded Dougie for picks. First off, NO WAY will the 15th pick in this draft be better than Hamilton. He is a legit #1 d-man in 2 short years....WOW...they pull off highway robbery in the Lucic deal and SCREW THE POOCH on this Hamilton trade.....WTF is goin on there in Boston???   YOU DO NOT trade away a d-man that good for picks...especially a mid round 1st and a few 2nds...NOW WAY, NO HOW!!!!

Agreed. The only way this makes sense is if Boston is trying to move up to get Hanifin or Provorov. I'm sure they covet Hanifin, since he's a local boy.

I'm sure they covet Hanifin, since he's a local boy.

Why not find a way to pay Hamilton what he is worth and still select Hanfin?  Just plain ol' stupid to get rid of Hamilton like that....you make it work with the kid, I don't get this....teams maneuver every which way just to find a talent like Hamilton...and they move him??  UNREAL!!

Why not find a way to pay Hamilton what he is worth and still select Hanfin?  Just plain ol' stupid to get rid of Hamilton like that....you make it work with the kid, I don't get this....teams maneuver every which way just to find a talent like Hamilton...and they move him??  UNREAL!!

I don't get it either. With Chara obviously declining Boston can't afford to be giving away a guy like Hamilton.

Absolutely LOVE what the Flames are doing, their forwards other than Monahan and Hudler are average, well Johnny Hockey isn't bad but not as good as he seems to think he is.....

So they built from the back end out with an exciting group

Giordano would have won the Norris if he hadn't gotten hurt.

Wideman may be the most underrated offensive d-man in the game.

Hamilton is a future stud. Nah, he is a stud now.

Brodie moves the puck as well as anyone.

Russell is the forgotten man but moves the puck like a champ.

So five guys on the back end who move the puck, who pinch in and help the forwards. They need to improve the depth among the forwards but wow, I would put the overall depth of their defense against anyone in the game.

@yave1964  I agree. The Flames have done an EXCELLENT job at re-tooling their blueline corps. You just named 6 quality NHL d-men....which tells me the Flames are well on their way to build off last years playoff appearance and make a deeper run this time.

As per usual, I always wonder, why were the Flyers were not in on this, cause from the sounds of it, they could have been in a bidding war, due to the price for Hamilton being so low, with the Bruins in a rotten position due to Hamiltons contract demands. I'm sure the Bruins did their due diligence, but I just find it VERY hard to believe nobody offered more than #15 and a few 2nd rounders. That is very cheap for the kind of upside the Hamilton possesses.

I suspect the Bruins would have only have traded Hamilton to the Western Conference, so he could not burn them with stellar play in the Eastern Conf part of the playoffs.

Having Giordaiano to pair with Hamilton would be perfect, he would make a GREAT mentor, showing Hams the right way to do things at the NHL level. The presence of Brodie ASSURES the Flames of having a strong group of offensive studs. Wideman and Brodie might just be the very best 2nd pp unit in the entire league, should things plaly out that way. It's a hell of a lot easier to acquire goals than quality d-men...so the Flames were one of the rare teams to not put the cart in front of the horse. They have the defense and goaltending.....so goals, speed and more goals at the forward position is going to be sought after by the Flames....in spades.

To make things worse, with the 15th pick, the primary return for Hamilton, the Bruins drafted Zach Senyshyn....a RW with the Sault Ste.Marie Greyhonds of the OHL. According to the Hockey News Draft Preview, they went WAY off the board, THN had Zach rated  47th....there was a REAL good chance that Zach could have been waiting for them in the damn 2nd round.....real bad trade, then bad asset management after the deal went down. That is messed up!!

@jammer2@pilldoc

Watching the draft, Sweeney for the Bruins with a chip on his shoulder on the stage about the fans booing him, he looked like he was ready to punch someone. If you cannot handle being booed do not take the job.  And then interviewed after his third pick he still looked pissed like he was ready to choke someone out. Don't want booed? Don't trade 22 year old future star Dougie Hamilton as part of a 'rebuild.'

Archived