TJ Oshie now a Capital

pilldoc

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/t-j--oshie-traded-to-capitals-as-troy-brouwer-gets-the-blues-211745793.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

T.J. Oshie, American hero, is headed to Washington, D.C.

The St. Louis Blues traded the winger to the Washington Capitals on Thursday in exchange for right wing Troy Brouwer, goaltender Pheonix Copley and a third-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft. From the Caps:

“T.J. is an outstanding skater with a tremendous skill set,” said MacLellan. “He is a powerful player and has consistent track record of production throughout his career in the NHL. We feel that he complements our core group nicely and can help us get to the next level in achieving our ultimate goal. We also want to thank Troy for his contributions to our organization on and off the ice and wish him well in St. Louis.”

Oshie, 28, had 19 goals and 36 assists for the Blues last season in 72 games. He’s of course most famous for scoring in four of six shootout attempts in Team USA’s preliminary round win over Russia in the 2014 Sochi Olympics, which turned him into an overnight household name and remains the only thing worth a damn that Olympic team accomplished before sulking out of Russian sans medals.

Gives the Caps another potential scorer.

I like Brower, I like his game, he hits, skates well, is a presence in front of the net...he's not chopped liver, that said, i think this makes Washington better, I bet Trotz will be able to figure out how to maximize TJ's game ,  i think Hitch is too willing to sacrifice offense in talented players , I don't think Trotz does that as harshly.

@ruxpin

Another guy who disappears in the playoffs...that'll help the Caps. Oshies career high in postseason is....THREE points!  RJ Umberger has as many points in ONE playoff round against the Habs as Oshie has in his entire career...but Oshies shootout in a preliminary round which won his team absolutely nothing makes him a legend.

They can have him.

@ruxpin

Another guy who disappears in the playoffs...that'll help the Caps. Oshies career high in postseason is....THREE points! RJ Umberger has as many points in ONE playoff round against the Habs as Oshie has in his entire career...but Oshies shootout in a preliminary round which won his team absolutely nothing makes him a legend.

They can have him.

Yes.

I deleted part of my post because I remembered I was on the Caps board. But since none of the 12 caps fans are here:

Never fear: the Caps are the Blues of the East and are guaranteed to find a way to choke it away, no matter what talent they assemble or how good the coach is.

I like Oshie. I think since if his numbers are because his team disappears, but even that statement includes him.

He might get them a handful more points in the shootout and probably helps them 3x3. The Caps probably overpaid a bit but still not a bad pickup.

@ruxpin

The Caps never have a problem getting regular season points. They really don't need any more. What they need is guys who show up in the postseason. They haven't made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs since 1990. I don't see TJ Oshie being much of an addition when it comes to the Caps needs to improve their playoff chances. He won't hurt them if their goal is just more regular season goals. 

@ruxpin

The Caps never have a problem getting regular season points. They really don't need any more. What they need is guys who show up in the postseason. They haven't made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs since 1990. I don't see TJ Oshie being much of an addition when it comes to the Caps needs to improve their playoff chances. He won't hurt them if their goal is just more regular season goals. 

Well, they went to the finals against the Red Wings in 1998 (just like the Flyers, they shouldn't have bothered), but your statement is still valid.  I completely agree.

@flyercanuck @ruxpin

While I agree that Oshie probably won't be a big addition in the playoffs, I think he will help with playoff positioning. If he improves them in the regular season, it may lead to better playoff match-ups. What if they win the division and play a wild card team next year? That said, I think the Justin Williams signing compliments the addition of Oshie pretty well, because that guy is a clutch playoff performer. Oshie helps with positioning and Williams helps once they're in the playoffs.

One thing about Oshie though: Now that he's out of St. Louis, I'd like to see if there's any change in his postseason performance. Maybe the change of scenery will do him good.

@ScottM

Williams should help come postseason. Oshie may have left St. Lou, but out of the frying pan into the fire...was there a worse team to go to to get inspiration for the playoffs than the perennial underachieving Caps?

was there a worse team to go to to get inspiration for the playoffs than the perennial underachieving Caps?

Yeah, really.  I always think of the Blues as "Caps West" and the Caps as "Blues East."    They really are similarly self-immolating organizations.

@ScottM

Williams should help come postseason. Oshie may have left St. Lou, but out of the frying pan into the fire...was there a worse team to go to to get inspiration for the playoffs than the perennial underachieving Caps?

I'm not predicting that he will fare better in the playoffs, I'd just like to see what happens. The point about the Caps is true, though I think Williams improves the situation, thereby potentially helping guys that struggle in the playoffs. That said, I don't expect the team itself to boost him, but I just want to see if a new location will do the trick. Sometimes a guy just needs to get out of a certain place, and maybe St. Louis is that certain place for Oshie.

@ruxpin

Another guy who disappears in the playoffs...that'll help the Caps. Oshies career high in postseason is....THREE points!  RJ Umberger has as many points in ONE playoff round against the Habs as Oshie has in his entire career...but Oshies shootout in a preliminary round which won his team absolutely nothing makes him a legend.

They can have him.

I noticed a few years back that Oshie sucked in the playoffs. He could never be counted on, and being in the top 6, the Blues were forced to give a ton of ice time to a guy who was constantly cold come playoff time. As talented as the guy was, it was high time the Blues try and solve the problem why they could not make deep runs. Horrible scoring and unstable goaltending were the main culprits. They had to change things up, the only thing the Blues could count on is the forwards being ice cold when it mattered most. Troy will give maximum effort and he creates offense by having an amazing work ethic. I think the Blues could have had a bit more come back, but I do think the lack of playoff success hurt his value a bit. Despite all the immense talent, he never ever came close to averaging a point per game. Troy will be a real nice fit on the defense first Blues. Their penalty killing unit will get a real nice shot in the arm due to Brouwers very valuable defensive skill set. One of the strong parts of his game is cutting off the passing lanes on defense and driving the net hard on offense.

Good deal for the Caps. They get a good player and don't give up anything really valuable. Beats the heck out of trading Forsberg for Erat.

So Troy Brouwer was not a valuable part of the team? That sure is interesting. I know Oshie is probably a better playmaker and is more skilled on the puck, but Oshie also has had tons of health problems. Brouwer isn't exactly useless, either.

Oshie missed 31 games over the last three seasons, Brouwer missed 1.

Oshie scored 135 points over the last three seasons, Brouwer scored 119.

Oshie scored 47 goals over the last three seasons, Brouwer scored 65.

All in all, I'd say this was an attempt to get a player to play with Ovechkin, and you need a passer/powerforward (Oshie). Not sure if it will be that much of an upgrade over Brouwer, but we'll see.

So Troy Brouwer was not a valuable part of the team? That sure is interesting. I know Oshie is probably a better playmaker and is more skilled on the puck, but Oshie also has had tons of health problems. Brouwer isn't exactly useless, either.

Oshie missed 31 games over the last three seasons, Brouwer missed 1.

Oshie scored 135 points over the last three seasons, Brouwer scored 119.

Oshie scored 47 goals over the last three seasons, Brouwer scored 65.

All in all, I'd say this was an attempt to get a player to play with Ovechkin, and you need a passer/powerforward (Oshie). Not sure if it will be that much of an upgrade over Brouwer, but we'll see.

Think so?

Most cap fans I talked to have been trying to dump Brouwer all year lol

Think so?

Most cap fans I talked to have been trying to dump Brouwer all year lol

Why? Yes, he isn't the best top 6 guy. Oshie is a better, more aggressive forechecker. But Brouwer puts the puck in the net. He looked great with Burakovsky on the third line. They have to give to get. Oshie is a marginal upgrade on Brouwer. Goal production wise, this was a bad move. Offensive zone time wise, this was a good move.

Brouwer also won a Cup. Everyone seems to think that experience is really important in character role guys (LIKE BROUWER).

Why? Yes, he isn't the best top 6 guy. Oshie is a better, more aggressive forechecker. But Brouwer puts the puck in the net. He looked great with Burakovsky on the third line. They have to give to get. Oshie is a marginal upgrade on Brouwer. Goal production wise, this was a bad move. Offensive zone time wise, this was a good move.

Brouwer also won a Cup. Everyone seems to think that experience is really important in character role guys (LIKE BROUWER).

??

He barely played with Burakowski this season. His regular linemates seemed to be Kuznestov and Johansson, and those skilled kids made him look better than he is on the 2nd line.

The 3rd line was a line of Fehr, Flanked by Joel Ward and usually, Brooksie Laich, but sometimes Jason Chimera

but in fairness, i may be thinking of the wrong guy. When i think about it, it was probably Booksie they wanted to dump.

but in fairness, i may be thinking of the wrong guy. When i think about it, it was probably Booksie they wanted to dump

They want to dump him too.

But you won't find many Caps fans complaining about this trade:

MacLellan is not futzing about this offseason. I like the deal

BOOM goes the dynamite!

Dreams do come true!

I'm still in shock.

So ****ing glad Brouwer is gone. Really nice trade, surprised thats all it took to be honest.

BMac is KILLING it!!

So long Troy!! I think I'm loving this deal. Barely touched anything...

This is an insane trade

I need new pants

I can't believe this just happened. 

Oh man I am so excited. What a great acquisition at so low a price. And getting rid of Brouwer to boot! Oh happy day.

Ok hammock impressive deal. I do like Copley but to get a quality top 6 player and lose a bottom 6 guy in Brouwer is awesome.

I also need new pants.

Troy is a class act and from all accounts a great human being. He didn't deserve the flak he got here and played his guts out.

... and it goes on. From hfboards Caps forum. Not saying that Brouwer sucks, but the Caps clearly got the best player in this trade.

??

He barely played with Burakowski this season. His regular linemates seemed to be Kuznestov and Johansson, and those skilled kids made him look better than he is on the 2nd line.

The 3rd line was a line of Fehr, Flanked by Joel Ward and usually, Brooksie Laich, but sometimes Jason Chimera

but in fairness, i may be thinking of the wrong guy. When i think about it, it was probably Booksie they wanted to dump.

I think they would love to move Laich. He's paid like a second liner and plays like a fourth liner. 

I know Brouwer didn't spend a lot of time with Buro and Kuz, but when those three were together, they were very dynamic offensively. It's really the question of who was better for the line, Brouwer or Johansson. The answer is Oshie.

While Oshie will be better for the Caps than Brouwer, I will bet money that Brouwer has more goals, points, and games played next year with the Blues.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While Oshie will be better for the Caps than Brouwer, I will bet money that Brouwer has more goals, points, and games played next year with the Blues.

Possible of course, but as of right now, Oshie is slated to play with OV on the top line and on the top pp....if Oshie was ever going to have a career year, this should be the year.

Oshie before tonights preseason game had an on ice interview and they asked him, "What is it going to be like playing with #8?" TJ said, "Ovie has a huge shot, he scores a lot. I'll be in front of goal with my stick down." I think TJ is expecting to get a lot more goals. I just hope he can stay healthy.

Oshie before tonights preseason game had an on ice interview and they asked him, "What is it going to be like playing with #8?" TJ said, "Ovie has a huge shot, he scores a lot. I'll be in front of goal with my stick down." I think TJ is expecting to get a lot more goals. I just hope he can stay healthy.

He will help your team in the regular season - no doubt.  However, he is a prototypical player who will excels in a regular season and will disappear in the playoffs.   Everybody knows who impatient Hitch can be when the player doesn't meet his expectations.  But I have watched the Blues play over the last few years, and I can see how this guy can frustrate.  Perhaps this will change under Barry Trotz or in the new environment; we'll see.

Archived