Would We Go After These "Best FAs Left"

Howie58

Here is a thread from NHL.com.  I am not sure I'd want any of these folks but Matthias is a big body. Fehr has faceoff capacity.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=773566&navid=nhl:topheads

The forwards seemed to a lot of Florida Panthers alums.  The D don't seem too interesting.

Peace,

Howie

Unfortunately they are pretty much done once they sign MDZ unless they can trade someone away...Hexy pretty much said they ain't going over the cap which i agree with so what you see is what you get........unless Hexy works his Voodoo and deals some one...they have 4.4mill before they sign MDZ so that may be it... 

Here is a thread from NHL.com.  I am not sure I'd want any of these folks but Matthias is a big body. Fehr has faceoff capacity.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=773566&navid=nhl:topheads

The forwards seemed to a lot of Florida Panthers alums.  The D don't seem too interesting.

Peace,

Howie

Howie this is what it looks like.......................

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/philadelphia-flyers

When I see this list it makes me wonder how Homer stayed on as long as he did. MacDudd at 5 million forever. What was he thinking?   

I guess we make do with what we have for another year or two.  Maybe the Cap Gods throw us a bone and we are relieved of Vinny.  Miracles notwithstanding...we are really f....ed!  It is sad.

Howie

When I see this list it makes me wonder how Homer stayed on as long as he did. MacDudd at 5 million forever. What was he thinking?

I guess we make do with what we have for another year or two. Maybe the Cap Gods throw us a bone and we are relieved of Vinny. Miracles notwithstanding...we are really f....ed! It is sad.

Howie

Hexy did trade a guy who hasn't played in years with a broken down aging defenseman. Who knows what can happen?

Hexy did trade a guy who hasn't played in years with a broken down aging defenseman. Who knows what can happen?

Grossmann is all of 30 and his 68 games last year wasn't indicitive of his being "broken down" and Arizona gets to pay Pronger $525k on a $4+M cap hit.

Could be the stars align again, but let's not overstate, eh?

Grossmann is all of 30 and his 68 games last year wasn't indicitive of his being "broken down" and Arizona gets to pay Pronger $525k on a $4+M cap hit.

Could be the stars align again, but let's not overstate, eh?

Just because Grossmann was a #warriorclone didn't mean he was all that effective. He was slow in the first place, and played hurt. Just like the year before. Great for effort, not necessarily his actual play. I won't miss him at all. And if he's in that state at 30, which I admit I didn't know he was that "young", that doesn't bode well for his on ice future either.

Cap math or whatever, Pronger has not played in years. No overstatent there either.

I will not miss Grossmannnn either. I do respect the guy though, he was a tough SOB who was mentally strong enough to play through all the injuries and always seemed to make the team is not priority. He obviously had a weak all round skill set, but what he lacked in talent, he made up for in the hustle department. Hard to not respect the hell out a guy like that. I hated how slow and limited he was, but he was really the only effective porch clearer the Flyers had last year.

I wonder how Medvedev stacks up in that area. I've heard he is likes the physical aspect of playing defense, so he might just be a suitable replacement. Morin would fall into the same category also, but unless there is another d-man moved out, he will have a tough time cracking the top 7. I'm wondering if Medvedev will block a very talented youngster when he enters the second year of his 2 year deal. Hopefully, we don't regret him getting the 2nd year. I'm thinking it was totally necessary to give him a multi year deal, if the Flyers did not offer the 2nd year, I believe they would have lost out on Meds.

Just because Grossmann was a #warriorclone didn't mean he was all that effective. He was slow in the first place, and played hurt. Just like the year before. Great for effort, not necessarily his actual play. I won't miss him at all. And if he's in that state at 30, which I admit I didn't know he was that "young", that doesn't bode well for his on ice future either.

I don't miss Grossmann even a little bit, but that doesn't mean he's "aging and broken down" any more than any other player who is - as we all are - getting older.

Point being, it can be a "good thing" to be rid of the Swede without him needing to be "aging and broken down" (he played 78 games "the year before").

Cap math or whatever, Pronger has not played in years. No overstatent there either.

If they could pay VLC $525K on his cap number, he'd be more tradeable as well.

I will not miss Grossmannnn either. I do respect the guy though, he was a tough SOB who was mentally strong enough to play through all the injuries and always seemed to make the team is not priority. He obviously had a weak all round skill set, but what he lacked in talent, he made up for in the hustle department. Hard to not respect the hell out a guy like that. I hated how slow and limited he was, but he was really the only effective porch clearer the Flyers had last year.

I wonder how Medvedev stacks up in that area. I've heard he is likes the physical aspect of playing defense, so he might just be a suitable replacement. Morin would fall into the same category also, but unless there is another d-man moved out, he will have a tough time cracking the top 7. I'm wondering if Medvedev will block a very talented youngster when he enters the second year of his 2 year deal. Hopefully, we don't regret him getting the 2nd year. I'm thinking it was totally necessary to give him a multi year deal, if the Flyers did not offer the 2nd year, I believe they would have lost out on Meds.

I think that Medvedev is only signed for one year.

I think that Medvedev is only signed for one year.

Correct. Medvedev is on a one-year, 3 Million dollar deal.

I really doubt that Medvedev was brought in with the idea that he'd mentor Provorov. Provorov has been in NA for far longer than Medvedev. He speaks flawless English. It's not like this is a kid coming to play hockey in NA for the first time who needs someone to help translate things for him. Streit was already in place as a vet that could mentor a young guy. I think this was purely an attempt to bolster the blue line. The one year contract also means he can be moved at the deadline if he succeeds at the NA game and the Flyers don't see him in their future.

I really doubt that Medvedev was brought in with the idea that he'd mentor Provorov. Provorov has been in NA for far longer than Medvedev. He speaks flawless English. It's not like this is a kid coming to play hockey in NA for the first time who needs someone to help translate things for him. Streit was already in place as a vet that could mentor a young guy. I think this was purely an attempt to bolster the blue line. The one year contract also means he can be moved at the deadline if he succeeds at the NA game and the Flyers don't see him in their future.

I just said the same thing in a different thread.

Ah, my bad, thought I read it was a two year thing. The promising part....I don't think any d-man on the Flyers could have pulled off the finishing move that was posted in the other Medvedev thread...that was a thing of beauty, this guy is legit talented. A one year deal for a guy with that kinda talent is a no brainier.....regardless of age.

I don't miss Grossmann even a little bit, but that doesn't mean he's "aging and broken down" any more than any other player who is - as we all are - getting older.

Point being, it can be a "good thing" to be rid of the Swede without him needing to be "aging and broken down" (he played 78 games "the year before").

Just because you dress doesn't mean you're healthy. This goes double for the Flyers. Grossmann had knee and back issues, and was slow in the first place.

Just because you dress doesn't mean you're healthy. This goes double for the Flyers. Grossmann had knee and back issues, and was slow in the first place.

Injuries happen it's part of the game especially when you're physical...Nick's biggest problem is he had sloth issues and in today's NHL it's just not acceptable...look at both the Cups teams no sloths on either side...all their Dmen could skate and join the rush and get back in time...skating is just prerequisite nowadays...

Injuries happen it's part of the game especially when you're physical...Nick's biggest problem is he had sloth issues and in today's NHL it's just not acceptable...look at both the Cups teams no sloths on either side...all their Dmen could skate and join the rush and get back in time...skating is just prerequisite nowadays...

I was following the broken down remark.

I was following the broken down remark.

I know the point being is you just can't fix slow...one per blueline...Luke is enough...Gudas to isn't real fleet of foot from what I've read but his salary is easier to justify at 950K versus 3.5mill.

Luke may be gone by the trade deadline...Streit to may depending where they are in the race for the playoffs.

Luke may be gone by the trade deadline

I guess we're all hoping for a lot from the Flyers new HC - me too. I think LSchenn can potentially be the biggest beneficiary of playing for Hakstol. I hope from day 1 he bears down on him to play within himself, to play smart(er) hockey. Luke has no more "rookie-mistake / young D-man" grace and his mistakes are always the same: he tries to do too much whether it's taking out a guy with a big hit or over-handling the puck. 

I don't know if he can ever be a top pair guy and as a 3/4 guy the Flyers can do better - they may already have "better" in the pipeline. In any case this should be the sink-or-swim year for LSchenn and the Flyers. If he doesn't get better over the course of the season under Hakstol I hope Hextall trades him at the TD.

I guess we're all hoping for a lot from the Flyers new HC - me too. I think LSchenn can potentially be the biggest beneficiary of playing for Hakstol. I hope from day 1 he bears down on him to play within himself, to play smart(er) hockey. Luke has no more "rookie-mistake / young D-man" grace and his mistakes are always the same: he tries to do too much whether it's taking out a guy with a big hit or over-handling the puck. 

I don't know if he can ever be a top pair guy and as a 3/4 guy the Flyers can do better - they may already have "better" in the pipeline. In any case this should be the sink-or-swim year for LSchenn and the Flyers. If he doesn't get better over the course of the season under Hakstol I hope Hextall trades him at the TD.

I think Hak will have a great influence on him but despite all the effort the one thing that plagues Luke and i'm afraid i will always plague him is his speed and the system which Hak will deploy is predicated on speed from what i've read.

Now if Luke loses some weight (gets down to 215-220) and takes some speed skating classes over the summer he may have a chance but other than that i'm not thinking it will happen. But if anything he can teach him to play really well and look good for the next team of will trade for his services which will benefit the Flyers greatly.

And i could be wrong he comes out and plays lights out his best hockey to date and earns himself a spot on this team and a new contract. God knows if he doesn't have much competition.

Oh ya his lack of foot speed is a concern I agree. But is he truly slow, i.e. a bad skater, too top-heavy or is he just playing bad hockey? He labors on those first few strides but he's no GrossmanN. What I see when I'm cursing his name is him out of position b/c he joined a rush he shouldn't have or tried to clean somebody's clock and missed or - worst and most common - he fumbled the puck turned it over and now the other team is swarming. That's when his slowness hurts b/c he's definitely too slow to play catch-up. But don't you think if he'd play smarter hockey - i keep saying "play within himself" - he would mitigate his slowness quite a bit?

In any case I agree he needs to earn (in a big way) another contract from the Flyers. He should have a "wow look how far he's come" type of first half. Otherwise..adiós Luke!

Oh ya his lack of foot speed is a concern I agree. But is he truly slow, i.e. a bad skater, too top-heavy or is he just playing bad hockey? He labors on those first few strides but he's no GrossmanN. What I see when I'm cursing his name is him out of position b/c he joined a rush he shouldn't have or tried to clean somebody's clock and missed or - worst and most common - he fumbled the puck turned it over and now the other team is swarming. That's when his slowness hurts b/c he's definitely too slow to play catch-up. But don't you think if he'd play smarter hockey - i keep saying "play within himself" - he would mitigate his slowness quite a bit?

In any case I agree he needs to earn (in a big way) another contract from the Flyers. He should have a "wow look how far he's come" type of first half. Otherwise..adiós Luke!

Yes he is just slow but he is moving a lot of weight to...i wouldn't say it was just bad skating from watch i've notice and no he isn't GrossmanN slow. He does have a nice outlet pass that sometimes he doesn't get enough credit for he is pretty damn accurate when he does.

Yes his biggest problem is getting out of position to lay a hit on someone instead of staying in the play and playing defense...but i have seen him better at it but he still lapses at it and it usually ends up in the net when he does....one thing that would help is for him to play with a partner who recognized this and cover for him...the problem there under Chief is his partner seemed to be a revolving door.

The biggest thing going against him is they have Gudas who can do everything he does right now yet at a 3rd of the price...so he better bringing this camp and season or it may be his last in Philly.

A couple of posters have wondered out loud if Luke's playing weight is to high, and I have to agree. There is no need for this guy to be over 220. Hopefully Hak comes in and gets him in real shape. He needs to cut down a good 15 pounds or so, that would give him some pep to his step. He needs to go, but at least make it workable while he is here.

Archived