Hextall Pumps Breaks on Young D Development

radoran

Bill Meltzer @billmeltzer

Hextall said any of young D would have "knock our socks off" to open season in NHL. High ceilings make him want to "pull back even more."

Hextall said he wants to be "damn sure" their young Dmen are ready before any play in the NHL. Doesn't want players getting 7 min or scratch

-------

IMO, there is absolutely no need to rush any of these guys.

Especially given that they're still digging out from #homercoaster

And it has been proven that it is not easy to knock the socks off - but it can happen.

Hextall said any of young D would have "knock our socks off" to open season in NHL. High ceilings make him want to "pull back even more."

-------

And it has been proven that it is not easy to knock the socks off - but it can happen.

Well , you do have like 7 Dmen under contract already lol.

Essentially he is saying, nobody else is getting shipped.

A smart team puts 6 actual NHL defensemen on the roster, and makes any kid beat one of them for that spot.You want to foster a sense of entitlement in a kid? Clear a roster spot and hand minutes to him before he's proven he can play them.

@radoran

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Regardless of much of the Flyer fanbase's optimism for this upcoming season, the team is still in rough shape competitively and some flotsam and jetsam still need to be removed to give those young guys a true "clean slate".

If a prospect really does impress the hell out of management in some way, then maybe consider them for a spot, but for now, just go with the vets you have (Flyers are paying them big bucks still, after all), and like @JR Ewing noted, MAKE those young guys literally push a veteran out on his arse before handing them anything.

That's what teams like the Bolts and Wild seem to be doing and it seems to work.

For all the griping I do about a guy like Matt Carle or Keith Ballard on TB and Min respectively, a young D-man has to basically push that guy out in order to gain their spot.

Matt Carle hasn't been pushed out yet, but he definitely has been moved down the depth chart with the emergence of Hedman and some other young guys knocking at the door like Nesterov or Koekkoek that could very well spell the end for him if they continue to improve the way the team anticipates they can.

Over in Minnesota, Keith Ballard, when healthy, was given prime minutes, but now with the emergence of guys like Marco Scandella and Jared Spurgeon as regular "go to's", and young defenseman Matt Dumba showing he belongs with the big club, Ballard's contract was allowed to expire as he became expendable.

If that is Hextall's plan, then I say that he is doing the right thing.

Hextall's doing the right thing - make the young guys earn it and show they can keep it. At the same time, if the young guys are ready, is Ron ready to move some of those extra bodies on D? Right now, other than Streit, Del Zotto and probably Schultz, there's really nobody else on the team that's worth much. Luke Schenn might be worth something, but if he show up at camp 230 pounds again, all bets are off. Radko Gudas is nothing special either (other than a cheap contract that some team would be more than willing to grab). Brandon Manning isn't worth much, but why would another team want to trade for him when they can wait for the Flyers to send him down and pick him up off waivers.

I really think Hextall wants nothing more than two of the hallowed five to make the team. At the same time, I think he just doesn't have any takers to remove some of his trash from the club.

I'm fine if none of the defensive prospects make the team. I'm fine if Provorov earns a spot. If it's even close, I'd rather he play his 9 games and goes back to the Wheat Kings. There's no reason to rush anyone at this point of the Flyers rebuild.

Hextall said he wants to be "damn sure" their young Dmen are ready before any play in the NHL. Doesn't want players getting 7 min or scratch

In other words he doesn't want to be forced to move any the 6,7,8 d-men we all ready have on the roster.

Completely agree with this approach. I think Morin should spend at least the better part of next season in the AHL. Same goes for Ghost, since he basically lost all of last year. I could see Provorov making the team but it probably wouldn't hurt to have him spend another year in junior. Sanheim should spend the year in junior as well. Hagg is the only one I'd like to see in the NHL at some point, I think his game will translate well and I don't think much more time in the AHL will help him all that much. I wouldn't mind seeing Alt get some time with the Flyers as well.

Well , you do have like 7 Dmen under contract already lol.

Essentially he is saying, nobody else is getting shipped.

...while allowing for the possibility of an Ekblad type to totally kill it right away, however unlikely.

My like most here I am totally in favor of every single one of these kids getting a few (I SAID A FEW) games with the big team this year.

I don't think any of them get 82 or even 20 or probably even 10. But a few games here and there to show them the speed and intensity of the NHL game and to make it fresh and apparent that the competition. They'll be going up against in juniors or the AHL this year is a picnic and whatever they learn to do well against that rid raf, they'll have to learn to do 10 times faster and harder in a year or two's time.

We don't want excellent AHL d men. We don't want them learning to be good in the AHL. We need them learning the game conceptually and fundamentally and knowing that "good" on the phantoms ain't squat on the big club.

-------

No more rushing let them play a few games then send back to CHL,AHL and other places. Like to see Alt and Manning get a shot . Also hear that beside the big four there are a couple of down the road dark horses. Friedman,Wilcox and Pettersson.

@hf101

What's wrong with having 10 or 11 Dmen?

Nothing. Make it 11 so they can play our centers in a full squad charity football game. Just let Giroux play quarterback because he thoroughly enjoys going under center.

-------

I agree, but not completely. Giroux, Jake, and Simmonds could be pushing 30 by the time any of them are ready. That concerns me.

I agree, but not completely. Giroux, Jake, and Simmonds could be pushing 30 by the time any of them are ready. That concerns me.

If they're not ready, what's the point of playing them with Giroux, Jake and Simmonds?

Completely agree with this approach. I think Morin should spend at least the better part of next season in the AHL. Same goes for Ghost, since he basically lost all of last year. I could see Provorov making the team but it probably wouldn't hurt to have him spend another year in junior. Sanheim should spend the year in junior as well. Hagg is the only one I'd like to see in the NHL at some point, I think his game will translate well and I don't think much more time in the AHL will help him all that much. I wouldn't mind seeing Alt get some time with the Flyers as well.

I'm worried about Hagg.  He just doesn't seem to be playing with urgency every game.  Way too many inconsistencies.  And for a guy with guys like Morin, Sanheim, and Gostisbhere pushing him, you would think he would feel more urgent to get it done.

I'm worried about Hagg.  He just doesn't seem to be playing with urgency every game.  Way too many inconsistencies.  And for a guy with guys like Morin, Sanheim, and Gostisbhere pushing him, you would think he would feel more urgent to get it done.

I watch a lot of Phantoms games and I'm not worried about him. They give him big minutes playing in all situations and for a 19 year old playing pro hockey he's doing very well. He was probably the best two way defenseman on the Phantoms last year. He makes the occasional mistake yes, but overall I'd say he's still closer to being NHL ready than Morin, Sanheim, or Ghost.

If they're not ready, what's the point of playing them with Giroux, Jake and Simmonds?

I am not sure if you are smelling what I am cooking. I am not saying rush them I am saying if they aren't ready in time, that could be a problem. Our core, while not old, is in it's prime now.

I am not sure if you are smelling what I am cooking. I am not saying rush them I am saying if they aren't ready in time, that could be a problem. Our core, while not old, is in it's prime now.

Since when is 30 considered too old to compete?  At 30 these guys should still have about a 4 year window to be dangerous.

I hear that, but what's the difference? Either this core works w the young D or the young D forms the basis of a new core.

And as has been pointed out, 30 isn't the end of the world.

I think it will be a mix of both.

Archived