What Should We Expect for the Panthers?

ScottM

960.jpg

I find the Panthers to be very intriguing. They certainly have their share of aging players such as Jagr, Thornton, Mitchell, Savard, Campbell, and Luongo (he can definitely still play), but they have a lot of budding young stars in guys like Barkov, Bjugstad, Huberdeau, and last but definitely not least, Ekblad. The Panthers are a team that may see a very significant changing of the guard in a short period of time. I like the youngsters that they have, and Ekblad in particular looks very promising.

Here's the question for this thread: if guys like those I mentioned (and maybe Lawson Crouse) have to step up to leadership roles in the next couple of years, how do you think they'll fare? Will they be ready for more responsibilities?

i think they are for real, nearly ready to contend. Barkov, Bjudstad and Huberdeau lead a talented bunch of forward, Ekblad won the Calder and Luongo has found his happy place in Sunrise. A hard working team of kids with the right amount of vets. They were close to a playoff team last year and this season I think they are going to be better, fighting for one of the two wildcard spots and better than even money getting one. Ekblad could be the closest thing we have seen to Bobby Orr in the last thirty years, and i am really not kidding even if that offends some people. The kid makes the price of admission to a Panther game worth it all by himself. Not saying he is going to lead the league in scoring but not saying he wont either. He is that ridiculously good.

Eventually, the top pp will be Exblad, Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjudustad and Crowse. They are gonna post some insane numbers once they hit their primes. Fantasy wise, they will all be nice contributors next year (except Crowse), but in a few short years, those numbers are going to jump considerably. I intend on trying to draft a few of them, cause the points will start coming next year and only increase.

Eventually, the top pp will be Exblad, Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjudustad and Crowse. They are gonna post some insane numbers once they hit their primes. Fantasy wise, they will all be nice contributors next year (except Crowse), but in a few short years, those numbers are going to jump considerably. I intend on trying to draft a few of them, cause the points will start coming next year and only increase.

I own both Barkov and Bjugstad in my keeper league, so I hope you are right.

Bjugstad yes, Barkov no.

From what I have seen and expect of them anyways.

Yeah that's a fair assessment. Barkov is still a ? until he's shown more. His skating is still lousy from what I can tell

Bjugstad yes, Barkov no.

From what I have seen and expect of them anyways.

I am a HUGE fan of Bjugstad, (I watch too much big ten hockey) and his reach is simply insane. I think he has a wingspan that simply is beyond belief and can control the puck and hold a guy off with one arm at the same time. Just huge potential.

Barkov has had moments but hasn't really impressed me yet. he may not be a bust but he doesn't seem to be a top five pick in any estimation. Lots better than Nail Yakopov but that bar is set pretty low.

• 2 weeks later...

Expect Jagr to hit the 50 point mark... this time around he is actually surrounded by young players capable of producing offense. So now a lot of workload is carried off his back...

As for the rest of the team, Barkov is already a great two way forward, he just needs more confidence in shooting the puck.

Hubberdeau is developing into a better two way player.

Ekblad is...idk, his rookie season was good, but he was playing beside Brian Campbell I think...

Also, I believe the Panthers acquired Heatley.... who knows? He could bethe Panthers secret weapon and repeat 50 in 07

@JagerMeister

I've seen a lot of Ekblad. We've all seen enough Brian Campbell. He's not the reason Ekblad is really good.

Heatley basically walking on skates probably isn't getting anywhere near 20 let alone 50.

i'll rely on your observation on Ekblad, you have most likely seen more of him, I only started watching Panthers since Jagr joined...

• 4 weeks later...

The Panthers are an interesting team. If the kids can keep making progress, they should be a great team. They all need to take the next step in their development. I think they are very close to exploding. They will never be a sustained team like the Red Wings, but I see them as something like the Bruins have been recently. They were terrible, rebuilt, and were in the conversation as the best team in the league for about 5 years. I think this year is the year 1 or the year before year 1. They just need to put the puck in the net a little more often.

I believe the Panthers will be a lot like last years Islanders. The team looks ready to jump by leaps and bounds.

The top six forwards should be comprised of Huberdeau, Barkov, Jagr, Jussi Jokinen, Bjugstad and newly acquired Riley Smith from the Bruins. Unlike previous years, it appears the Panthers will have depth reaching into the bottom six, with Brandon Pirri, Dave Bolland, Vincent Trochek guaranteed to be on the team....throw in prospects Rocco Grimaldi and Lawson Crowse and you have unprecedented depth this team never had before.

There appears to be 5 returning d-men.... Aaron Exblad, Willie Mitchell, Brian Campbell, Dimitri Kulikov, Eric Gudbrandson....they should be joined by very promising rookie Michael Matheson, who has just finished his Boston College NCAA career.

Anyway you slice it, this team is much better than any recent Panther entry.

The Panthers should have enough depth, and common sense to put Lawson Crowse back to the OHL, Dale Tallon does not usually rush prospects. If Lawson does make it, he has a real nice shot at rookie of the year, playing with fellow young studs Bjugstad and Barkov.

The Riley Smith for Jimmy Hayes move kinda went under the radar, but it appears that both teams will profit. Hayes seems like a perfect fit for the Bruins. First off, he is a Boston native, and his 6'6 225 lb frame will be more than welcome for a Bruins team that moved one of their only large wingers Lucic over the summer. Hayes is one year older than Smith, but both can be deemed late bloomers.

The move also helped the Panthers reach the cap floor, by taking on the contract of Marc Savard, who by all accounts will never play again due to concussion issues. Smith should make a nice addition to the Panthers top 6, and if he somehow sneaks on the Panthers top pp unit, could be one of the fantasy surprises of 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to be attending the Philly/Panthers game on Oct 10th and can't wait.  The last time I was there it was Hitch's last game with the Flyers.  I am hoping to not see a repeat of that for the O&B's sake.

However the Panthers team intrigues me.  I can't wait to see Ekblad pay in person.  I hope they make the playoffs this year so the team doesn't relocate.  This way I can still watch games when I am in Miami/Sunrise. 

• 3 weeks later...

They need to score goals. That is the only way they will make the playoffs. They scored 206 goals, which was 13th in the East last year. I think that number goes up to 220, and if it exceeds 225, and Luongo plays well the whole season, the team makes the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually don't see much of a change in the Panthers record this season. I am thinking anywhere between 35-40 wins which if they are on the higher end of the wins they could get in the playoffs as a #8 seed. I have always liked the play of Jonathan Huberdeau. I really think he is going to improve with the likes of Jagr on the ice with him.

• 4 weeks later...

Jagr is looking to return tomorrow night. So far he has 10 points in nine games. I'd be surprised to see him keep up that pace over the full season, but suddenly, not only Dionne, but Hull looks threatened on the all-time goals list. When I started this thread, I didn't dream that Jagr would have such a strong influence on the team's stats, but, boy, has he!

Archived