Richards Charged...

JackStraw

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More info:  

Mike Richards, whose contract has been terminated by the Los Angeles Kings, is part of an ongoing investigation by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for an off-ice incident, a source told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

A spokesperson for the RCMP in Manitoba told ESPN that, as of Tuesday, no charges have been brought against Richards but declined to comment further.

The source said that Canadian Border Services is also involved in the investigation, but a spokesperson declined comment, citing Canadian privacy laws.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/story/_/id/13173411/canadian-mounted-police-investigation-involves-mike-richards-source

I have been following that one very closely.  I know that region, heavy woods, bears, and its incredible he was so stupid to leave the protection of the forest.

So what do you think?  Was Mike Richards aiding and abetting fugitives?

I have been following that one very closely.  I know that region, heavy woods, bears, and its incredible he was so stupid to leave the protection of the forest.

On a more serious note, yeah, it seemed kind of silly to leave the forest.

You know what else happened near the border on Friday?  Richard Matt (the NY escaped convict) was shot.   Coincidence?

He is an undercover agent for the Royal Mounted Canadien Policy.....after further investigation while tracking down fugitives for illegally herding sheep across the border, he spotted the escaped convict across the border.  Taking careful aim, Mr Back and to the Left, brought down the fugitive in a perfect shot to the abdomen.  Because he was moonlighting, this would be a breach of contract therefore he gave full credit to the NY officer.  Post shooting analysis revealed he had a BAC of 0.15.  More info to follow.......... ;)

brought down the fugitive in a perfect shot to the abdomen

And also hit him in the right hand, the back of the head, and struck the governor of Texas. All with one shot.  Had the Governor of Texas been carrying this would, of course, all have been prevented.

He must have brought some UPenn coeds to his lakeside Château since the drinking age is lower in Canada than the US.  Undercover of the night by the Stones can be heard off in the distance.

He must have brought some UPenn coeds to his lakeside Château since the drinking age is lower in Canada than the US.  Undercover of the night by the Stones can be heard off in the distance.

So jealous.

Another thought in Richards. NHLPA has 59 more days to appeal. So in the meantime, the Kings fill out a roster and use most of there cap space. Appeal hits and is upheld. Richards is now an LA King again, right? They are now over the cap.

They buyout window has passed. And they can't trade him.

See where I'm going.....holy balls, what a colossal mess this could be.

The again, like with Pronger, the league will probably just make it up as it goes long.

I'm going to go out there and speculate that the problem isn't with booze it's with prescription pain meds.

BINGO!!!! It's what i think as well...they are cheap in Mexico and that is what he may have been caught smuggling even a mule so to speak possibly. Steroids are also big bringing them from Mexico...so one of these two is what i'm guessing too...

Another thought in Richards. NHLPA has 59 more days to appeal. So in the meantime, the Kings fill out a roster and use most of there cap space. Appeal hits and is upheld. Richards is now an LA King again, right? They are now over the cap.

They buyout window has passed. And they can't trade him.

See where I'm going.....holy balls, what a colossal mess this could be.

The again, like with Pronger, the league will probably just make it up as it goes long.

Yes if it is appealed and Richie wins it could get messy for LA.

anyone know more about the story? All I found was this:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/story/_/id/13173411/royal-canadian-mounted-police-investigation-involves-mike-richards-source

Let the speculation begin!~!

edit: and the Kings "terminated his contract" for a "material breach" apparently related to this incident(s). I didn't know you could do that, terminate a guy's contract, regardless. I guess if an athlete is convicted of breaking the law...depending on what law...teams should have some recourse to cut ties. But this sounds like it just happened.

Like everybody else, I have no idea what Richards may or may not have done that led the Kings to seek to cancel his contract. It would have be serious, because from what I've been reading, based on past history, this sort of thing almost always falls in favor of the athlete. The seriousness of Richards supposed actions don't seem to be borne out in the form of criminal charges yet. If it was drugs, you'd think that most of the time, this would progress to the substance abuse program, not the termination of his contract.

I dunno... My gut feeling is that this is all quite convenient for the Kings, and that they'll take whatever chance they can get to try and step away from his contract. I could be completely wrong, but that's my initial reaction.

BINGO!!!! It's what i think as well...they are cheap in Mexico and that is what he may have been caught smuggling even a mule so to speak possibly. Steroids are also big bringing them from Mexico...so one of these two is what i'm guessing too...

I don't think the RCMP would be involved if it didn't have something to do with the Canadian border.

I don't think the RCMP would be involved if it didn't have something to do with the Canadian border.

I didn't see that mentioned i just woke before i headed to work and skimmed through all...but if he got said illegal stuff from Mexico and was transporting to Canada they would still...but all we have as of now is speculation...

My gut feeling is that this is all quite convenient for the Kings, and that they'll take whatever chance they can get to try and step away from his contract.

Yep it's either that - they're so fed up they'll try anything...put the hammer down on behavior they've already seen a million times ... OR ....whatever happened was something pretty serious, which will surprise the hell out of us all.

edit: where did the "Mexico" angle come from? Somebody speculating? I did see the ESPN story that said the RCMP is definitely involved.

Archived