Flyers win in Allentown - Thoughts

brelic

I thought Konecny looked solid last night. Scored a goal, made several nice plays, a ton of hustle and speed. In fact, he and Bardreau looked very good together.

Provorov looked ok. He had good moments early on, and then had shaky moments as the game went on, coughing up the puck and losing battles.

G, Jake and Raffl looked like a top line should. And Del Zotto seems to have picked up where he left off. 

Medvedev is definitely an upgrade over Grossmann. 

I know it's a preseason game with a mish-mash roster, but there were some positive signs for sure. 

Oh, apparently Ghost played 24:00+ over in Brooklyn (led all Flyers). Hagg was second with 23+. Morin down in the 16:00 range. 

I'm looking forward to seeing Sanheim tonight.

This stuck out...

"[Konecny] made something happen every time he was on the ice. "He has a lot of hockey sense and plays with a lot of jam," said Flyers new head coach Dave Hakstol, who made his pro-level coaching debut.

tumblr_mgvd2zpvbe1s0cs5fo1_500.gif

I thought the Vinny line played pretty well.

I think they played well as a line, too. But of the four lines, I would still rank them 4th in performance last night.

G/Jake/Raffl was tops. Then Konecny/Bardreau/Rosehill, then Bellemare/VV/White (although these 2 lines were pretty even), then Umby/VLC/Gagner

We sat at center ice and I was favorably impressed by all the newcomers save Gagner and Drewiskie (Phantom or even Reading).  Medvedev looked pretty polished - he was very concerned about playing his position and making short crisp passes.  We should've signed him a few years before before he becae a senior citizen.  Provorov and Konecny both loooked very impressive.  People are calling Provie's game "spotty" because of one bad turnover.  The current defensive corps on the big time makes that kind of mistake a couple times per game.  And they're vets.  Being sent out there with Drewiskie most of the night didn't help the kid's game.  Cole Bardreau may never play in the NHL but he sure tries hard.  He is really quick and gives his best shot, but doesn't appear to have any finish.  Gagner didn't stand out positively or negatively.  I would've though a former first rounder (6th overall) might have displayed more offensive skills.  But at least he didn't screw up.

I also thought Jake and G looked dominant against a mostly AHL opponent.  They seemed to be having a good time with the whole experience since they were joking around and laughing half the time.  I thought Del Zotto was tremendous in this game.  He was all over the ice.  Not afraid to pinch in and very very quick to get back up ice.  Manning seemed to want to prove he had some offensive game as he also strayed close to the net in the offensive zone.  I also think he was trying to play up to the hometown crowd in Allentown where he'll most likely end up this season.  This was probably the first game in the PPL Center where I didn't see Rosehill take a dumb penalty.

I was at the game in Brooklyn. Here are a few brief thoughts. Schenn looked like he was on a mission. He was fighting for the puck and bangin bodies. Overall, he had a pretty good game. Ghost looked great. I think ghost was probably the most visible player all night. He was solid and as the game wore on seemed to be gaining confidence and trying things. 

Leier and Aube-Kubel has pretty good games. Those guys seem to have chemistry and have a lot of promise. They setup a pretty goal with a curl and drag and quick cross ice pass. 

Morin is an imposing player. He is just huge. So huge that players don't seem to want to go near him and he didn't have much opportunity to mash bodies. However, his puck handling seems to need work and he wasn't very good at containing the puck or players at the corner boards. He wasn't terrible, but he seems to still be pretty rough. Maybe he just had a bit of a rough game, though... that was my first time seeing him. 

Overall, the Flyers lacked cohesion. Their passes were very frequently off. There wasn't a real structured attack. Their PP was a disaster. Their PK wasn't much better. It's early and these were mostly AHL guys, so I'm not making any hard assumptions on that, but it was a pretty sloppy effort overall last night. 

The goalies both played pretty well actually. They both made some pretty good saves. Labarbera was actually kinda impressive even though he let in more goals. The Isles were just given some pretty primo opportunities agains him. He made a few top notch saves though. Stollie let one in quickly after being put in, but he could hardly be blamed for that. After that, the Flyers were putting up more of a fight so he only had pretty light duty. 

We had a 3v3 OT session, even though it wasn't needed, for league testing. That was very interesting. It seemed the players were really put out of their comfort zone. They seemed to really have too much time and space to work with and almost didn't really know how to handle it. That was the case for both sides. But, as it wore on... it got more exciting. This is really gonna be a good showcase of skill this season. At one point, Matt Read's stick broke and it was a 3 on 2 basically. That was a shi t show for the flyers that they somehow made it out of. 

Last note... Barclay Center is not very good for ice hockey. There is quite a large area in the lower bowl that has obstructed view of the visitor's net. I've been in buildings with the corners largely obstructed, but not like this. Our seats weren't even listed as having obstructed view, but it was so obstructed that part of the net was even not visible. It was absolutely freezing in the arena as well. This might be because it was far less than full capacity, but I've also never been so cold at a hockey game. Some might view that as a good thing, though.. maybe the ice was good. It was too bright and felt cold, beyond actual temperature. Isles fans are weird too. So there's that. 

It seems somewhat hard to gauge since the Flyers and Isles played their stronger lineups in opposite games. I like what I read about Konecny. Looking forward to watching these games on Hockeystreams when I get some time.

After watching last nights game I think the Flyers should not try and win this season, but secure the future.  I would like to trade the Schenns & Read off the bat.  I think all 3 could be easy trades and net you a good haul of prospects and picks.  I'm wondering if you could package the Schenns and Read for Barzal and Ho-Sang.  Ho-Sang is a guy that has some major maturity problems but could be a very good hockey player.  Someone you could buy low since he was sent down on the first day of camp for showing up late, and has past attitude issues, a la E.Kane.  Other guys I would look at would be Ehlers & Connor in Winnipeg (Schenn connection), Domi & Duclair from Arizona, Virtanen & Shinkaruk in Vancouverm, and Mantha & Svechinkov in Detroit.

By the deadline I would move Streit, Shultz, Umberger & Vinny (if they improve their games), Gagner, Neuvirth, and kick tires to see what you can get for Raffl and Medvedev.  I really like Raffl, but I think if he has another good season you can get a kings ransom for him at the deadline.  And again, if you get enough for Medvedev you pull the trigger.  I'll also put Vandevelde, White, & Manning out there as well.

Point being I would like to open some roster spots for our young defense next season, and I would like to get some more NHL viable forwards that will be able to step up, and to make room for them and guys like Laughton, Cousins, Leire, & Konecky.

After watching last nights game I think the Flyers should not try and win this season, but secure the future.  I would like to trade the Schenns & Read off the bat.  I think all 3 could be easy trades and net you a good haul of prospects and picks.  I'm wondering if you could package the Schenns and Read for Barzal and Ho-Sang.  Ho-Sang is a guy that has some major maturity problems but could be a very good hockey player.  Someone you could buy low since he was sent down on the first day of camp for showing up late, and has past attitude issues, a la E.Kane.  Other guys I would look at would be Ehlers & Connor in Winnipeg (Schenn connection), Domi & Duclair from Arizona, Virtanen & Shinkaruk in Vancouverm, and Mantha & Svechinkov in Detroit.

By the deadline I would move Streit, Shultz, Umberger & Vinny (if they improve their games), Gagner, Neuvirth, and kick tires to see what you can get for Raffl and Medvedev.  I really like Raffl, but I think if he has another good season you can get a kings ransom for him at the deadline.  And again, if you get enough for Medvedev you pull the trigger.  I'll also put Vandevelde, White, & Manning out there as well.

Point being I would like to open some roster spots for our young defense next season, and I would like to get some more NHL viable forwards that will be able to step up, and to make room for them and guys like Laughton, Cousins, Leire, & Konecky.

Reasonable thought to build for the future, but, the Flyers still have a need for Read. When he is healthy, he is an incredibly versatile player, with a reasonable cap hit.  Looking at his skating last night, it is night and day better than last year. And, no way do i want Ho-Sang on the Flyers, ever. We need disciplined players. You don't see the Flyer rookies sleeping-in, rather than reporting for the privilege of possibly playing in the NHL.

you're missing the biggest trade pieces...Giroux and Voracek.

if you're willing to dump NHL players for prospects...don't keep these guys around and waste their best years playing with children and has beens.

this post smacks of the old "you can't eat half a **** sandwich" line of thinking to me...you want a full on rebuild ...around who then ?  the core of Voracek and Giroux is signed and in place and in their primes. I think that window would be wasted by bringing boys up to the bigs.

Reasonable thought to build for the future, but, the Flyers still have a need for Read. When he is healthy, he is an incredibly versatile player, with a reasonable cap hit.  Looking at his skating last night, it is night and day better than last year. And, no way do i want Ho-Sang on the Flyers, ever. We need disciplined players. You don't see the Flyer rookies sleeping-in, rather than reporting for the privilege of possibly playing in the NHL.

You're right on. I didn't mention anything about Read in my report, but his skating did look a lot better. In fact, I kinda took it for granted and basically forgot about last year. He looked much like the year before. Having said that... the line of Read, Coots and Simmonds didn't really account for much last night and they were our top line. I'm not sure they have great chemistry or if they were just rusty. Individually, I think they each played alright, but it just didn't amount to much except a bunch of penalties. 

Archived