Flyers win verses the Rangers

Lunatic

I am trying to avoid hyperbole. It was only a preseason game without a number of very talented veterans in the game on each side. It's outcome probably is not an accurate measure as to the success for either team this season. Having said that, it was great fun to see Medvedev's calm, solid, two way play. Provorov's skill set and excellent positioning  and the truly scintillating play of Ghost and Konechny. Ghost, Provorev and Konechny may not be "ready" for the NHL grind, but it has been a long time since the Flyers have had this many exciting players. When you add these four players to the roster with G and Jake I can't  imagine how exciting it would be to watch the Flyers.  

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lunatic:

I don't think it's hyperbole but the game was fun to watch and we have some talented youngsters.  Gagner had a smile on his face.  Umberger looks like he wants to contribute.  Simmonds is a menace around the net.  My only concern was Mason.  He looked a bit rusty to say the least.  The crossbar saved him on on; the others were relatively soft from what I saw.  

Hakstol does not look like a guy you want to PO.  He gives the appearance of being a "let God and the paramedics sort them out" dude.  I see this season as prep time but '16-'17 should be the start of elite status.  Meanwhile, it looks like the days of being stuck in our own zone with slow to nonexistent breakouts are over.  

Best,

Howie

Meanwhile, it looks like the days of being stuck in our own zone with slow to nonexistent breakouts are over.

That will be a breath of fresh air in itself. MDV and MDZ will be a nice puck moving duo if they stay together when the regular season starts.

I only seen the highlights so hard to get a great for it all but MDV loks to have a nice accurate shot from the point. Skates well to boot.

I guess it will be Mcdud and Gudas for the bottom pair they may complement each other nicely we'll.

Something in my gut tell me not to be shocked if both the Schenns are traded before the season starts

I am trying to avoid hyperbole. It was only a preseason game without a number of very talented veterans in the game on each side. It's outcome probably is not an accurate measure as to the success for either team this season. Having said that, it was great fun to see Medvedev's calm, solid, two way play. Provorov's skill set and excellent positioning  and the truly scintillating play of Ghost and Konechny. Ghost, Provorev and Konechny may not be "ready" for the NHL grind, but it has been a long time since the Flyers have had this many exciting players. When you add these four players to the roster with G and Jake I can't  imagine how exciting it would be to watch the Flyers.  

Indeed.  I attended this game tonight and I have a few comments.

Wow, Medvedev is a stud - he covers 2/3 of the blue line easily. Although he got beat a couple of times he didn't really let the Rangers get in a good shot, and up close he protected Mason well.  Hextall get this guy signed to an extension.

Gostisbehere had another strong game along with Konecky and Cousins.  I'm not sure what Cousins finished the game but at one point in the 3rd it was announced that he had won 56% of his faceoffs.

Simmonds had a couple of strong shifts then kinda disappeared for much of the game.

B Schenn had a solid game.  His penalty in the OT gave us a pretty good look at both 3 on 3 then 4 on 3 and when the penalty was over it was 4 on 4.  The play was kinda slow for 3 on 3 players have too much space and time if the opponent doesn't pressure them.  I'm sure it will improve, but for now it is a bit unorganized and uncomfortable for the players.

Collin McDonald also had a strong game with a lot of speed and won some puck battles along the boards.

The Flyers controlled a lot of the play throughout the game except for about 8 min in the 2nd period when it appeared as if Mason was just going through the motions.  He let in a couple of goals he normally stops.  His concentration improved after the game was tied at 2-2. 

One of the things I noticed in this game which I didn't on Monday was the speed the Flyers take the ice to start each shift.  And that is all on Hackstol, such an improvement.  It seemed as if the Flyers had a jump on the Rangers every line change.  Generally in preseason we see too many men on the ice penalties the Flyers didn't make any Bench mistakes. 

One other thing I got a chuckle out of as a couple of guys behind me brought their kids with them and the stated to each other that there is usually a lot of fights in pre-season.  I laughed as those days are long gone.  The Flyers hired a Collegiate coach there won't be many fights this year.

Lots of kids in attendance tonight having a blast. 

All in all a great time to be had at the game.

Occam:

It's good hearing from you; it was good to watch a Flyers game...even a meaningless pre-season one.

At some point the logjam breaks.  I wonder if they are viewed as a trade tandem?  

Howie

I know its really waaaay to early to call it but i'm hope MDV will turn into a good find for Hextall and his scouts. If he continues to play well he will be a nice stop gap till the kids arrive.

Plus he could give Hextall some option with the Dmen he wants to move on from like maybe Luke or Gudas (whom i have yet to see myself play for the Flyers) not say he will just throwing it out there.

As of right now the Flyers only have 4 Dmen under contract for 16-17 so MDV is playing for a contract so it could be a win win with him.

My gut tells me the could trade Luke before the season to make room to meep Manning. Who knows its good to have options.

And by the way itself good to hear from you as well.

Hextall get this guy signed to an extension.

I know right usually i'm apprehensive at signing guys so soon especially after just looking good in the preseason but something tells me the longer he waits with MDV the more he is going to demand. Guys with his skillset are not cheap regardless of his current age...he doesn't have a lot of milage from NHL play on his 33 year old body so that is an advatage for him.

We'll see keep it going.

The thing is when Mac Daddy came in to our team he also show'd alot of promise and also played like a "get this guy signed already" talent. Not saying MVD is like that but ya, MVD is definitely a player to be happy over for sure. Hextall has his good eye out on our team and is making astute decisions.

Snider must sleep good at night. Dreaming a young boys dream.

Let's win our first 3. Let's not be anything less than 7 and 3 for the first half of our 20 games. Let's get to the playoffs. 

Agree with most of what you guys are saying in the thread. 

To me, Konecny was the standout forward last night. That's two games in a row where he just makes things happen. Ghost was really electric as well. Both had some defensive miscues but that's normal.

Provorov was ok too. He didn't stand out, and I think looked more defensively comfortable than against the Isles. He does go out of position a lot, leaving his winger to cover for him. I don't think there's any way he makes the team this year. He's just not ready. Neither is Sanheim, who also just looked ok.

Did anyone else think Streit and Schultz were one of the worst pairings last night? They got pinned in their zone a lot and seemed weak together. 

Have not seen all of the first yet, but WOW.....dare I say, an *elite* slap shot by Medvedev, super impressed with both the velocity and placement on that rocket....this guy looks like the real deal, very mobile for such a big man, I echo the sentiments of whoever said for Hexy to start working on an extension....this guy is a keeper. Nice to see Sanheim getting some time on the power play.

It's early, but I'm starting to believe that Umbby's injuries affected his play last year. He looks a half a step quicker and is able to effectively forecheck, something we did not see last year cause by the time he got there, the puck was gone. Having Ummby chip in offensively and having him play harder on the puck, that is a definate step in the right direction. Assuming he is in the top 9, you want all those guys to be capable of a sustained forecheck......this makes me more tradeable also, should the Flyers choose to go in that direction.

Cousins had a nice 1st period. A few scoring chances and he did not get caught from behind on the odd man rush. He also seems a half a step quicker. He might be one of the first call ups should the Flyers have a center go down.

Is it just me, or do Medvedev and Provorov look like they have been playing together forever, or what?  That is just two talented guys that are playing on instinct and the end result is a polished cohesive tandem. It's early and all, but I'm hoping Meds can play with Prov next year, another reason to sign this guy to an extension.....the sooner the better, before he starts to up his price as he plays better and better.

Flyers second goal....outstanding work ethic and puck pursuit by Scott Laughton. He made that goal possible, he was doggedly chasing the puck from one side to the other, and he was so close to stealing the puck, he forced the puck to be moved earlier than the Rags wanted to move it....not once, but twice Laughts forced the play before Schenn cashed in. Not that the Rags announcers even acknowledge Scott's play, but it was first rate hustle....nice way for Laghts to start out a VERY important TC for him.

I only caught the final few minutes and the 3 on 3 but I hope BSCHENN looked better than he did when I was watching. He had 2 weak plays in a row that led to TOs then took the tripping minor as his final contribution.

Good to see the Flyers break out of their zone under control, that was refreshing even if it is pre-season.

Love that pass from Simmonds cross-ice to Ghost for the 5th goal...and and the PP looked good all in all. This may be a rebuilding year but the future looks bright.

Did anyone else think Streit and Schultz were one of the worst pairings last night? They got pinned in their zone a lot and seemed weak together. 

Even being the preseason, their play was markedly poor. If this continues it presents Hextall with an interesting set of problems.

Morning Everybody,

Hard to add to what has already been posted.  Watched most of the game, but I did miss the end of the 3rd and OT.  Medvedev had an absolute bomb of a shot from just inside the blue line on his goal.  As @hf101 mentioned, he covered the ice really well.  Konecny had another great game.  If this kid progress the way everyone hopes, he is gonna be a speciall player.  On one shift early on I like how he kept is feet moving to create a scoring chance for himelf.  Drafted at #23 he is gonna be a steal.  To me Ghost has bulked up just a bit and shows no ill effects from his knee injury from last year.

Granted it was preseason and i will take alot of this with a grain of salt, but it was refreshing to see the Flyers actually have some jump in their game. 

Hakstol does not look like a guy you want to PO. He gives the appearance of being a "let God and the paramedics sort them out" dude

Totally agree here.  For once, it will be refreshing to see a Flyers coach who will show some emotion.  I have no doubt Hakstol will hold this team accountable to everyone.

Finally.......

THANK GOD HOCKEY IS BACK!!!!

What a beautiful shot by Ghost for the 4th goal.....VERY NICE!!  This kid just drips with offensive flair, he might just be the most prolific Flyer d-man since Eric Desjardins and Mark Howe....it's been a long time since we had a legit offenisve threat back there!!  It's early, don't want to jinx him, but only a few elite top scorers are proficient at the down on one knee upper corner thingy....takes superior eye-hand coordination to pull that off. Kid is a pure natural scorer.

WAY to early to even ponder this....but who are the two young Flyer studs who eventually nail down a job on the top pp??  I'd say Sanheim, Provorov and Ghost are vying for the 2 spots there.....with MDZ also a possibility. A nice problem to have, and eventually....even the 2nd pp unit will have tremendous puck movement and control.

EDIT....and hey, from what I saw today, impossible to not put Medvedev into that converstation as well. In two short years, the Flyers could very well have *the* *very* *best* shots from the points in the whole NHL.....we have never been able to say that!!  #amazing.

I only caught the final few minutes and the 3 on 3 but I hope BSCHENN looked better than he did when I was watching. He had 2 weak plays in a row that led to TOs then took the tripping minor as his final contribution.

the part of the game i watched...about 10 minutes of the 3rd. Brayden Schenn played well, he was aggressive and appeared to be seeing the ice better than i have ever noticed from him.  he looked motivated to me,  maybe he was gassed by the OT.

the part of the game i watched i was surprised by how fast the Flyers looked.

it seemed as though there were always more Flyers around the puck than Rangers, and that hasn't been the case in 4 years.  I know lots of people were missing from both squads but it appears as though we will be a difficult team to play against.  this makes me happy.

Agree with most of the above. 

A couple of additional points.

• Prov - he has skill no doubt and paired with MDV (who will change the dynamics of the D this year) looked very composed.  He did have a few times where the speed of the game caught up to him but he's young and will learn.  I hope they don't keep him up this year.  Let him get some more experience this year and give him a serious look next year.
  • Sanheim - I wasn't as impressed with him as I thought I'd be.  A few times he looked lost.  He has the skill and will develop but he's not ready yet.
  • BSchenn - Still frustrated me as usual.  There were a few that said him and is brother are trade bait.  I agree and I hope Hexy agrees.  If you can package him up with his brother, that's even better.  Either of the two or combined can fetch at least one 1st rounder.  
  • Laughton - I think he looked good enough to replace BSchenn with just a little dip in scoring.  I think he is ready.
  • Konecny - He has the skill, knowledge and heart.  Still needs to put some meat on though.  Over the course of a 82 game season, I could see him wearing down.  Keith Jones was saying Konecny reminded him of Justin Williams or Simon Gagne.  Not a bad comparison and if he turns out to be similar to either, Hexy's trade up to get him will be genius.  
  • Ghost - I'd really like to see him on a wing.  In fact, with his skill, speed, vision and shot I'd like to see him on G & Jake's wing at some point.  (I know, I know.  Just thinking outside the box.)

I still think this year is a bubble playoff team but will be very important for cohesion and jelling as a team.  2016-2020 is a very big and exciting window for the Flyers.  Finally the organization is approaching the building of a 'team' the right way.  

He does go out of position a lot, leaving his winger to cover for him.

It is what Hakstol's system requires...he said in most of those instances he was more disappointed in the forwards who are suppose to rotate back to cover when the Dman gets up in the play. This is the new system more Dmen up in the action getting in on the offense not the conservation play from the Dmen we saw from Berube's system.

Jumping ahead quite a bit, I would love to see these pairings for the season:

MDZ/Medvedev

Ghost/Streit

Schultz/MacDud, Gudas or Manning

Trade Schenn. Forget MacDud at the airport, and all of a sudden, we've got a better blueline than last year.

@brelic

More on the plays of Dmen jumping in the attack from Hak...

Also, for the second straight night, the Flyers' defense was noticeably active in the offensive zone. Not only were they slipping down lower than expected during cycles to pressure the Rangers defensemen, the Flyers blueline was pinching with regularly in an attempt to regain possession in 50/50 situations. The tactics marked a major shift from Craig Berube's more conservative style.

After the game, Hakstol agreed that the newfound aggressiveness was no accident. Instead, it signifies a conscious shift in philosophy. He also noted the risk involved.

"We want to get a little more movement in the zone," Hakstol admitted. "In the second period, actually, we gave up four or five opportunities off the rush, and the majority of those were in outnumbered situations."

Rather than criticizing his defensemen for jumping into the play, however, Hakstol noted that the forwards were actually more to blame. He also stated confidently that the assertive play of the defensemen would continue.

"They were good pinches that, as forwards, we didn't cover and reload above quickly or well enough. So those are things that we have to work through, and this is the time of year where we want to work through those things. Encourage our defensemen to have a little bit more motion and movement in the offensive zone."

Archived