How many cities have you seen NHL games?

off_the_post

I was trying to think of how many cities I have seen an NHL hockey game.  Here goes: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Philadelphia, Raleigh, Miami, Tampa, Phoenix, LA. 

I certainly wont break any records but 9 cities is not too bad. I consider myself very fortunate.  I travel a bit for work and try to catch a game whenever possible either at the destination itself or I plan my flights to have a lay over in a connecting city. 

Unfortunately most travel comes in the late spring/summer so I would have had a lot more cities if it were not for teams missing the playoffs or just bad luck on the schedule (or relocating to Winnipeg). 

I am guessing my next new city will either be Dallas, Winnipeg or perhaps even Las Vegas if/when that ever happens. 

So has anybody ever made it to every city? 

Philadelphia (Spectrum and the Big Bank Building - which I am counting as four different arenas - Corestates, First Union, Wachovia and Wells Fargo)
East Rutherford (The old Brendan Byrne Arena)
Newark (The Rock)

Buffalo

New York (MSG)

Hope to add Brooklyn this year.

Tampa, Atlanta, Sunrise, Philly, Columbus, LA, and Anaheim. 

I've seen the arenas in Nashville, MSG, and Toronto, but there wasn't a game at the time. 

Oh, getting technical on me with "Sunrise" vs. Miami I see  ;)

I remember getting so excited one time when I had some training to attend in Atlanta until I remembered the team had just moved back to Winterpeg. 

Oh, getting technical on me with "Sunrise" vs. Miami I see  ;)

I remember getting so excited one time when I had some training to attend in Atlanta until I remembered the team had just moved back to Winterpeg. 

Actually, I wasn't :P ... but that reminds me that I did go to a game when they were in Miami too. lol 

If @off_the_post doesn't mind me adding to the question a little bit, which of the arenas you've been to was the most impressive?

I was too young to really remember the old Montreal Forum, so I am leaving it out.

Of those I've been to (Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, Quebec, Boston TDBankNorth, NY MSG), I'd say MSG (post-renovation) was the most impressive. 

Boston was a close second - it felt very quaint and claustrophobic, good qualities for a hockey rink, IMO.

Well the one I liked the most was at the Wells Fargo Center only because it is the only time I was able to cheer for the Flyers as the home team.  I also found it very easy to get to for somebody staying in a hotel in the city.  Each stadium I have liked for various reasons...well I never liked the trough urinals at the old maple leaf gardens lol.

I found Ottawa's arena too far from the city even though the transit system was decent.  Phoenix out in Glendale is too far out too.  At least with Phoenix there is a lot of shopping, restaurants, bars and such near by but then need a DD to get back to the hotel in the city.  I had a real memorable trip there one time with a Coyotes game one night followed by a Foo Fighters concert the next.  I love the area though as I can golf any time I am there.

LA was neat with the LA Live area all around it but I didn't like the drive in from Santa Monica where I was staying one year. Heck does anybody like LA traffic? However it was much easier to get to when I was there for a conference and staying much closer to the Staples Center.  It was a playoff game so the atmosphere was great.

I like Sunrise a lot but not for the atmosphere of the rink. The double tree hotel is decent and right next door has a lot of shopping nearby.  When I travel I have to get as much shopping in as possible living on a small island and all.  I also met Keagan Bradley watching the game last week so potential run ins like that is cool.  I had the pleasure of sitting in the red zone so had the free food and drinks which was AWESOME.  It was well worth it IMHO.

I really like the game atmosphere in Tampa with all the lighting generators or whatever they are.  My daughters love it there which is why I am probably so fond.  They are not big hockey fans but asked to go back to watch a game.  So we are actually going there next Thursday when the Avalanche are playing since we will just happen to be there for vacation.  I have never stayed close to the arena but parking has never been an issue.  Tampa also has a fun concert set up outside. They also have an Outback in the arena and I can get my favorite Alice Spring Quesadilla. 

I found Montreal to be fun too.  I like the city so much and if you are staying in the hotel in the city the arena is just right there so it is easy to have a few and walk around.  I've seen a few games there including watching in the Air Canada level or whatever it is with the free food and beer which was also cool.  However the best part of watching a game in Montreal is going to the "after game" shows since there are so many of these "establishments" nearby.    :cool[1]:

However, outside Philly I have to say the ACC is my favorite because of the original six nostalgia and it is very easy to get to from pretty much anywhere using the transit system (like Philly) especially when you throw in a visit to the hockey hall of fame and a pre game meal at the ol'spaghetti factory. BUT the games are too quiet with too many "suits" in the crowd especially in the lower more expensive seats.  I've had the pleasure of watching a game in a box there a number of times and that is really fun (i.e. stiff drinks).  Actually I was at the box next to the one Gretzky was in the game he attended for his hall of fame induction.

So in summary, I like watching hockey anywhere just don't stress me out trying to find a place to park! :D

I have only been to three cities: Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh.

I've always wanted to watch a game in DC.  I am there at the end of May pretty much every year for the past few years but alas they were never playing that late in the playoffs.  My buddy went there years ago and got picked to do some intermission race they do on the ice.  He was absolutely terrible yet he won.  Seems the other two wiped each other out...so slow and steady won the race.

Philly, Montreal, Dallas, Denver, Sunrise, Atlanta, Buffalo. I'll see a couple games in Nashville in February.

This one probably doesn't count. Saw a preseason game here in San Antonio that was billed as NHL but half the line ups were made up of AHLers.

How was Dallas?  I was meant to go to a game there once but my trip was cancelled.  Like I mentioned in my first post it may be the next city I go to.  

When the PGA and NHL schedules come out I try to "triangulate" some dates when both events are on (like when the Flyers are in Tampa again and the PGA is playing at Innisbrook in February).  I have a trip to DC in May and I was planning on going the long way via DFW to perhaps catch a round of the Colonial and a Stars or Caps game.  Obviously there is no guarantee the Stars or Caps will be playing that late in the playoffs. 

Well living in Northen BC it's hard to go to a lot of hockey games, I've only been to Vancouver and Calgary. Really wish I could go to a Caps game, or to a game in Montreal. I saw the Canadiens in Vancouver, but I'd really like to be at a home game in the beautiful city of Montreal.

Well living in Northen BC it's hard to go to a lot of hockey games, I've only been to Vancouver and Calgary. Really wish I could go to a Caps game, or to a game in Montreal. I saw the Canadiens in Vancouver, but I'd really like to be at a home game in the beautiful city of Montreal.

Not sure where in Northern BC you are...but I'm going to guess the scenery is pretty awesome.

Archived