Happy Days to return to Columbus

Samifan

Jarmo panicked here. The Blue Jackets have had the puck more often than not, are middle of the pack in both shots for and against. Right now, they're only shooting 5%, and their goalies only have .836%... It's short term bad luck that will correct itself in time, and there's nothing that Tortorella can do other than wait for the needle to come back into the black. He won't be a genius anymore than Richards has been incompetent.

I'm going to be in the minority here, but I think this move could pay off for Columbus.

The Blue Jackets are healthy, they have good players, and have large, physical players who can play the style of hockey that Tortorella preaches to a 'T'.

There should be no reason why Columbus is playing the kind of garbage hockey they have been....was it Todd Richards' fault?

Who knows...likely not. After all, he isn't the one going out on the ice NOT executing.

But, perhaps he simply lost the ears of the locker room.

Veteran players not 'rowing' in the same direction anymore....young players not knowing who to turn to for advice, and when they do, they get all sorts of answers depending on which vet they ask, and which coach they ask.

All speculation on my part of course, but one thing is certain:

At 0-7, at just under 2 goals per game offense, almost 5 goals per game given up (Yikes!), and skating around like they have absolutely NO clue what it takes to win a hockey game, the hiring of John Tortorella can't make things any worse, and in fact, has the potential to be a 'wake up' call for the vets to get their heads out of their arses (goaltender included), the young players to quit trying to turn to 'big brother' for help and just get out there and raise some hockey hell on the ice, and for the team to just generally play like the big, nasty, physical, ask-no-quarter-give-none team they are built to be.

Look, I would be at the front of the line telling people Tortorella hired by the Canucks was an awful, awful idea.

That team simply wasn't built around the kind of defense-first, ultra aggressive type team that a coach like Torts manages.

And the GM and ownership didn't back him up there by allowing him to mold the team, rather, they wanted him to manage what they had.

Fair enough and their prerogative. Oh, and yea, Torts didn't help his own cause by trying to assassinate an opposing coach, but that is for another thread entirely....

But Coach Tortorella...Columbus Blue Jackets....last place team....nowhere they can go but up?

Yea...this might actually work.

And the beauty of this?

The timing.

Still early in the season and if Torts has any mojo left in him, he has time to work it.

Even if the new coach does turn things around, there is a very good chance that he will wear on the team in the long run.

That is just the kind of shelf life a coach like him has.

But for the here and now, perhaps into the next season or two, I think he just might be the kind of kick in the arse this franchise and these players need, as I am really thinking the Jackets' collective troubles are with their confidence, state of minds, and approach to games.

Torts can help with that.....and he doesn't care WHO he ticks off in achieving the goal to ice a winner.

I'm not the least bit sold on this move by Columbus. The Jackets were already giving up 12% fewer chances in the home plate area. It's the goaltending: they're crapping the bed. Tortorella can't put on the pads and stop pucks, and he's not going to reduce chances against any more than they were already being limited. All this AND give up a 2nd round pick? Bad move, imo.

TLDR - Columbus won't continue to have a SH% half that of league average and they won't continue to have a team SV% 30 points below league average, and that's not coaching.

Torts might be the best available for these guys right now. He takes no crap, expects results every night and will call you out in the press if you do not. I would not want him to coach my team but he won in Tampa, set up a culture of expecting to win in New York and then bombed badly in Vancouver.

I think he is gonna make some of the players like Dubinsky and Atkinson excel, probably absolutely ruin guys like Johnson. But overall the team if they have any chance in the world to right the ship hired the right guy, at least short term.

@yave1964  It seems to me, the Jackets really REALLY needed the strict disciplinary role that Torts will provide. This team has talent, but no structure....he was a wise choice. Richards was doomed to fail, to green and to much of "players coach" for my liking. A good chance they take off now that Torts is running this ship.

Archived