Top In All-Star Voting for the Pacific? John Scott.

elmatus

24 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

At this point, the NHL should either scrap it altogether or do a 180 and call it the "Grinder's Game".

The "Grinder's Game" (a replacement for the ASG) would feature the least productive players in the NHL from East and West conferences. It would be a form of punishment (in the eyes of those players) by denying them a weekend off and forcing them to play in the game. (Failure to appear in the game once selected would result in their NHL contract being terminated and a minimum one year suspension before re-entry.) Nobody is going to miss these guys anyway, so you better believe they will show up to play!

The Grinder's Game would give playing time to players that usually have none. The smart ones would try hard and showcase their skills in the hopes of getting more playing time with their club team. The dumb ones will pull a no-show and get suspended, effectively ending their NHL career.

The 3-stars of the game would be given a large monetary reward (something that will greatly benefit these low paid players). Example:

• 1st star: 1 million.
  • 2nd star: 500 grand.
  • 3rd star: 250 grand.

What do you think?  :biggrin:

Try and sell that to .....anyone. Cept RJs parents, and Vinnies...they'll be there.

45 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Try and sell that to .....anyone. Cept RJs parents, and Vinnies...they'll be there.

I dunno. Maybe if we put actual careers at stake it would be intriguing (in a survivor kind of way)!

The five worst performing players in the game get cut? ie: NHL contract terminated immediately following the game.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I get how the game would have some importance...for the bottom feeders....but who wants to actually watch it?

Who wants to watch it now? :cool[1]:

(My "Grinder's Game" was meant to be silly, although...... I'm starting to warm up to the idea.....) :lol:

On 12/3/2015 at 8:28 PM, MadDevil said:

The NHL will find a way to keep him out even if he wins the vote.

It's three on three.  I'm not sure Scott can count that high.

Let's just call it the "Mid Season Pond Hockey Tournament" or the "NHL Some Stars" game.  The league can't even say its the best players because all of the teams have to have a participant(Sorry 'yotes, you'll be represented by John Scott). 

There used to be a day when it was an honor to say you were a X time all star. Now it doesn't even matter because you may not be even close to the best players, but you play on a team that sucks so you get to go. Yipee.   

• 2 weeks later...

That's lame. Even if it was a joke vote, he still should have been there. It's a 3-on-3 tournament where half the players don't want to be there and they're all going at half speed, but we can't have that selfish John Scott in this prestigious event.

The NHL ends up looking like the WWE. Fans, you want this? Tough, you're going to get what we think you should want instead!

Whether or not the NHL has a loophole in the voting process they knew it last year and didn't do anything to fix it.  They need to honor the fans vote result.  Scott should be invited to the All Star Game with his family as the fans vote for autographs and the festivities, even if he doesn't play.

On 2016-01-15 at 6:46 PM, MadDevil said:

The NHL ends up looking like the WWE. Fans, you want this? Tough, you're going to get what we think you should want instead!

That's EXACTLY what the NHL did here. The message is: "We'll pretend to let you have a voice in the selection of players for the ASG, but if we don't like your choices, we'll just overrule you anyway."

So in the end, fans don't have a voice. They are told who to select.

On 2016-01-16 at 11:52 PM, hf101 said:

Whether or not the NHL has a loophole in the voting process they knew it last year and didn't do anything to fix it.  They need to honor the fans vote result.  Scott should be invited to the All Star Game with his family as the fans vote for autographs and the festivities, even if he doesn't play.

I'd like to see him try to skate around and take people's heads off with bone crushing hits. Maybe he could get into a fight and get a game misconduct. It would have given me a reason to watch. Thanks to Buttman, I no longer have a reason. Same old garbage again as usual...  :(

On 2016-01-15 at 6:09 PM, AJgoal said:

Bob McKenzieVerified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 1h1 hour ago

John Scott was previously asked by both NHL and Arizona Coyotes to bow out of NHL All-Star Game. He refused. Trade likely takes care of that

NHL "mafia" at work again...

Godfather (Buttman): "You listen to what we tell ya and you gonna go far in this business."

Scott: "..."

Godfather (Buttman): "You don't listen... and we make you disappear."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2608264-everyone-got-what-they-deserved-in-john-scott-all-star-fiasco-except-john-scott

Personally I think this will leave a black mark on the League and the All Star game for years to come.  Regardless of whether if Scott deserved to be in the All Star game or not is a mute point.  The fact remains that the NHL allowed the fans to vote and the fans have spoken.  IMO, the All Star game this year is a complete joke.  Oh there will be some interest generated from this convoluted idea, but in the end it Bettman (Buttman) has made a complete mockery of this once great event.  You know the old saying...you reap what you sow.  Well as I mentioned above, the NHL will have a black eye for years to come. 

"Originally, when John started getting some votes, I think everybody was happy for him. As it went along and he kept getting more votes, then it just became sort of a running...ah, ah...it wasn't a distraction at all," Maloney said. 

"A running joke" is probably what Maloney wanted to say.

That's what Scott was all along, the butt of a joke—only it seems he started to believe it had the best of intentions toward the end.

Scott would not return messages to his cell phone Friday night. The system failed Scott in this case, and at the head of the blame list is:

First and, by far, foremost: the NHL itself. It is the entity that put a system in place whereby fans could vote in anyone—anyone at all.

Seriously, how dumb do you have to be to incorporate a voting system that allows anyone to be elected? Sure, this is a democracy, and sure, it's only sports. But, actually, sports is not a democracy. It is a meritocracy. There has to be a benchmark for inclusion on the ballot. Otherwise, it's not a game for the best of the best. In the Scott situation, it became a circus sideshow.

Don't allow guys like Scott to be eligible for the vote, only to disenfranchise the voters later. You can't have it both ways. It made a farce not only of Scott, but also the process itself. And the league rightly wears the dunce cap over this one—big-time.

I understand some may be upset with Scott. After all he should have done the right thing and graciously bowed out, but hey...he WAS VOTED IN.  He deserves his 15 minutes in the spotlight. Right?  I'm sure Scott is a great guy and great personality in the locker room but this is a cruel joke and the person who will pay the price will be Scott himself.

"But on Friday, three days after being placed on waivers by the Coyotes for the third time this season, Scott was sent to the Habs in a three-way deal that ultimately sent Stefan Elliott to Nashville and Jarred Tinordi to Arizona. The Canadiens announced Scott would be sent to their AHL affiliate, the St. John's IceCaps. Subsequent reports, including one from TVA's Renaud Lavoie, said Scott would "never" play for Montreal.

Imagine the class clown getting set up with the best-looking person from the opposite sex, thinking it was real, then having it yanked away by laughing schoolmates. That's probably a little how Scott felt Friday."

Anyway the league is gonna get what they deserve for this one and I have ZERO sympathy.  The only person I feel bad for is Scott himself.  He certainly did not ask for this.

Aren't all allstar games a joke? (maybe other than MLB whose winner gets homefield in postseason...which in itself is a joke)

IMO this is just hockey fans stating the fact...the game doesn't matter, and if you're going to let fans vote in the allstars, this is what you get. 

Do NFL fans, or players, take the Pro Bowl seriously? Don't they put forth even less effort than the NHLers? 

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

usually i'm not a huge fan of the bleacher report blogs, but this guy makes great points.

the league should be ashamed of itself.

Agree...I usually take these blogs with a grain of salt....but as you say this guy makes some great points. Hence the reason I shared it.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Aren't all allstar games a joke? (maybe other than MLB whose winner gets homefield in postseason...which in itself is a joke)

IMO this is just hockey fans stating the fact...the game doesn't matter, and if you're going to let fans vote in the allstars, this is what you get. 

Do NFL fans, or players, take the Pro Bowl seriously? Don't they put forth even less effort than the NHLers? 

Agree..the NFL is even more laid back.  It is even more of a party atmosphere. Simply no one wants to get hurt.  Can you blame them? The more I get older..the more I realize I could careless about any all star game in any sport.  Though I do enjoy the skills competition. It is truly amazing what these players can do with a puck.

I like Ron MacLean's take on this. http://www.hometownhockey.com/news/john-scott/ - essentially what the guy in BR said. Regardless of his performance on the ice, John Scott got voted in, he deserved to be there, period. I disagree wholeheartedly with Cherry, who said basically that the fans were responsible for uprooting four families, and giving Scott a salary cut (not true, based on Hockeyscap he has a one-way deal). The fans didn't force the league, in the guise of the Habs and the Coyotes, to find the most heavyhanded way they could of ensuring that Scott didn't get to play in the game. The league could have just rolled with the results, put a good face on, let Scott play, and then changed their system next year to prevent it from happening again. Instead, they look like a bunch of jackasses who can't let a guy who they allowed the fans to choose participate in a game that they allowed him to be eligible for. Shameful.

On 2016-01-17 at 9:14 AM, BluPuk said:

Heavy handed or what? Don Cherry had quite a rant on HNIC about this. The NHL has not done themselves any good with these moves.

I think Buttman has his entire hand up Cherry's keister these days, to the point that Cherry is just a promotional puppet for the league now. :(

The old Cherry would have said "It's about time they got a good hockey boy with character and toughness in there I tell ya". I seem to remember him saluting the choice of Dale Hunter (commish's pick) from years gone by when that happened. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2016 at 3:03 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

I dunno. Maybe if we put actual careers at stake it would be intriguing (in a survivor kind of way)!

The five worst performing players in the game get cut? ie: NHL contract terminated immediately following the game.  :ph34r:

Good luck getting that past the Players Union.

All sports ASG's are the same dog and pony show, they aren't for you die hards obsessed with the season and extremely niche statistics like number of sticks broken on shot blocks.

5 hours ago, NRH said:

Good luck getting that past the Players Union.

All sports ASG's are the same dog and pony show, they aren't for you die hards obsessed with the season and extremely niche statistics like number of sticks broken on shot blocks.

Personally, my go-to stat is number of feet broken on shot blocks. ;)

Archived