Drive to Mediocrity

flyer4ever

It's going to be a process.  Hextall did well to move VLC and Luke Schenn this season.  I was hoping Gagner was going to be something they could flip at the deadline for like a 3rd round draft pick but he hasn't panned out.  The problem is they have some dead weight, immovable contracts so there is only so much Hextall can do right now. 

Regardless of what happens the rest of the season I am encouraged by 3 things.  Number one obviously being Ghost.  The kid is lighting it up offensively and will keep getting better defensively.  The second is Brayden Schenn.  While he's not going to live up to the Mike Richards in his prime hype he has become a more consistent secondary scorer and has pretty much adapted to his role on the wing.  Next year assuming he is back on the 2nd line with Couturier and possibly an upgrade on the other wing and still on the top PP unit I could see him being a 30 G, 65-70 Pts guy.  Lastly I am encouraged by Nick Cousins.  I know he hasn't played much with the big club but he was a PPG producer this year for the Phantoms and has gotten off to a decent start.  I think he is a guy that can provide way more offensive upside in a 3rd line role, 2nd PP unit that what they have rolled with most of the year with the likes of Raffl, Read, and Gagner.  

7 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

When oh when is the GM going to dismantle this below average lineup and start building something that excites us? 

Well they have 9 days left till the deadline so i think it is approaching that time. 4 more games between now and then. I think they will be in sell mode for sure.

9 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Road loss in a shootout. The lets make the playoffs chant will be starting up again. When oh when is the GM going to dismantle this below average lineup and start building something that excites us? 

i would not expect any building until the offseason.  If we are lucky, Hexy will be able unload a little more dead weight at the deadline.  Just remember that Hexy is going to build with the kids in the system, so this is going to be a process.  I'm sure he will fill in the gaps with free agents and trades, but I would not expect anything major until more of his players are in place.  Possible that Proverov and Konecny are up next year.  If the other kids pan out like Ghost, we have a lot to be excited about.

Statistically, we have a low shot at making the playoffs, and I don't care too much one way or the other.  I agree with Adamflyers that there isn't much to flip on this roster given talent or injuries.  So we slither along with a club that is offensively challenged but endowed with enough competent goaltending and Hakstol's discipline (why Gudas bugs the bleep out of me) to snag wins.  We are in a slower mode than hoped. A few years back I might have seen 16-17 as the turnaround year...it looks more like 17-18 before the big leap forward.  But we are building on a strong foundation of youngins rather than a mix-and-match of other teams' first rounders and leftovers. That gives me hope.

Howie

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I think Streit gets moved and maybe not much more.

I do think the Flyers will be able to move Gagner for a 5th or 6th rounder. Some teams might deem him worth the gamble, if for nothing else just to have a body ready to step into a playoff series that has NHL experience....and GM's like to make sure there are 2-3 these types at least, just at forward, so I it is possible if a certain team does not have adequate depth.

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

I do think the Flyers will be able to move Gagner for a 5th or 6th rounder. Some teams might deem him worth the gamble, if for nothing else just to have a body ready to step into a playoff series that has NHL experience....and GM's like to make sure there are 2-3 these types at least, just at forward, so I it is possible if a certain team does not have adequate depth.

Couldn't teams have got Sam on the waiver wire for "free"?

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, but perhaps their injury situation is not the same at the deadline as it was back when Gagner cleared waivers?  I do agree the whole thing is iffy, 50/50 at best to move him.

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah but wasn't he waived coming off injury...besides the longer you wait the less of his salary you're on the hook for.

15 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

The Flyers were mediocre? Wow, I was unaware.

:ph34r:

No **** right?

Folks, this team has been mediocre from the start of training camp.   Not gonna change either.   

Get over it and look to the future BC that is what it is about.   Progress this year and next year....   We are not contending for a while and instead of whining about the current state enjoy the rebuild.   There is a lot to like if you don't fool yourself into believing this is a good team.   

12 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

No **** right?

Folks, this team has been mediocre from the start of training camp.   Not gonna change either.   

Get over it and look to the future BC that is what it is about.   Progress this year and next year....   We are not contending for a while and instead of whining about the current state enjoy the rebuild.   There is a lot to like if you don't fool yourself into believing this is a good team.   

I agree and at the same time i give Hak props his 1st year and taking this team and it's collection of misfit toys to above 500. 

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but wasn't he waived coming off injury...besides the longer you wait the less of his salary you're on the hook for.

I should have been more clear. I was talking about a team looking to potentially pick up Gagner for a draft pick. Sometimes teams let a guy pass through waivers, but then a few weeks later they experience injury unforeseen injury problems, making them interested now, when they were not earlier.

There are a lot of *if's* attached.....but if, say the top 12-14 forwards available at the trade deadline get moved, then GM's are left to dumpster dive to fill in potential depth positions.....AND, factor in that GM's tend to go mad trying to counter any potential weakness their club has at the deadline....sometimes it's to the extreme...which just might put Gagner in play. One more thing to ponder. Of all the forwards available for trade this year....not one of them has ever scored 5 goals in a game or had a 8 pt game. If you are beset by injuries in a playoff series, maybe it gives the team a bit more confidence that he has taken over games before, lucky or not...maybe this knowledge puts him ahead of others in the org....or convinces a GM to pay a 6th rounder to acquire him.

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Absolutely OR!

Next year once they jettison some junk off the roster and retool a little...like adding Provorov and Cousins and who knows what else i would expect a playoff push.

I think i'd just go ahead and buy RJ out and that would be a good start. Find a LW for the 1st line priority #1!!!!

24 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I should have been more clear. I was talking about a team looking to potentially pick up Gagner for a draft pick. Sometimes teams let a guy pass through waivers, but then a few weeks later they experience injury unforeseen injury problems, making them interested now, when they were not earlier.

There are a lot of *if's* attached.....but if, say the top 12-14 forwards available at the trade deadline get moved, then GM's are left to dumpster dive to fill in potential depth positions.....AND, factor in that GM's tend to go mad trying to counter any potential weakness their club has at the deadline....sometimes it's to the extreme...which just might put Gagner in play. One more thing to ponder. Of all the forwards available for trade this year....not one of them has ever scored 5 goals in a game or had a 8 pt game. If you are beset by injuries in a playoff series, maybe it gives the team a bit more confidence that he has taken over games before, lucky or not...maybe this knowledge puts him ahead of others in the org....or convinces a GM to pay a 6th rounder to acquire him.

I could see the Blues adding Gagner for like a 3rd or 4th...i'd be happy with that.

embarrassing...really. that's all this is. The entire team should be ashamed of themselves tonight

They blew a 2 goal lead to an AHL team

and some of you guys actually thought that this team would make the playoffs?

We are so far from that

Archived