2016 Draft Lottery

BluPuk

OK, I'm having a problem figuring this out (again). This year, the top 3 picks will be decided by lottery draws, not just the first pick. As I understand it, the draw will be done by using 14 numbered balls numbered 1 to 14 (just like last year) and each draw actually consists of drawing 4 numbered balls per draw, giving 1001 possible number combinations (no duplicate numbers). One of those combinations has been eliminated already to keep the possibilities to an even 1000. So, each team is assigned a random group of those number of combinations - for example the team finishing dead last gets  200 random combinations (no idea how they determine who gets what combinations) or 20% of the total number of combinations. The team finishing 29th gets assigned 135 combinations or 13.5% of the total and so on down to the 17th place team who get 10 combinations, or 1% of the total.

Now, let's say for the first draw, they pull one of Winnipeg's combinations (or fill in your team if you are in the draws). This is where I get lost. Starting this year, they now have to put those four balls back in the shaker and draw four more balls, BUT now what if the numbers they draw belong to the team who's numbers they just drew?? OK, they draw again, right? So, they get another combination that belongs to that same team again! How do they avoid spending the next six months drawing numbers? If they manage to get a second number combination, now they have to draw the third one and the odds are even higher of getting a combo they can't use. Am I missing something here?

It's not that I don't trust the NHL....

46 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

OK, I'm having a problem figuring this out (again). This year, the top 3 picks will be decided by lottery draws, not just the first pick. As I understand it, the draw will be done by using 14 numbered balls numbered 1 to 14 (just like last year) and each draw actually consists of drawing 4 numbered balls per draw, giving 1001 possible number combinations (no duplicate numbers). One of those combinations has been eliminated already to keep the possibilities to an even 1000. So, each team is assigned a random group of those number of combinations - for example the team finishing dead last gets  200 random combinations (no idea how they determine who gets what combinations) or 20% of the total number of combinations. The team finishing 29th gets assigned 135 combinations or 13.5% of the total and so on down to the 17th place team who get 10 combinations, or 1% of the total.

Now, let's say for the first draw, they pull one of Winnipeg's combinations (or fill in your team if you are in the draws). This is where I get lost. Starting this year, they now have to put those four balls back in the shaker and draw four more balls, BUT now what if the numbers they draw belong to the team who's numbers they just drew?? OK, they draw again, right? So, they get another combination that belongs to that same team again! How do they avoid spending the next six months drawing numbers? If they manage to get a second number combination, now they have to draw the third one and the odds are even higher of getting a combo they can't use. Am I missing something here?

Reported!

3 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Half the balls just have this on them  :pens

Yeah, I don't understand. Assign whole number percentages. Take 100 balls. Put the logo of the teams in the lottery on the number of balls corresponding to their percentage (For traded picks, change the color of the ball itself or something). Draw one ball. Eliminate all the balls matching that one, and assign the first pick to the team whose logo is on the ball. Repeat for the 2nd and third picks. Easy peasy.

• 1 month later...

SOOOO, the Leafs win the lottery and will have the choice between Liane and Matthews. A much tougher choice than many anticipated this time last year. LOVE the fact Oilers got knocked out of the top 3 = justice. Like Elliot Friendman just said, does this change the way the Leafs approach UFA period now? Does being patient go out the window and you start building the guys who will be playing with Nylander, Marner and Matthews/Liane....interesting stuff.

Also...will be interesting to watch the Leafs and Flyers the next 5 years or so...the Flyers went with defense (in much worse draft positions) and the Leafs went offense. I guess it comes down to how important you view the transition game....I think it's VERY important. Can't score if you  can't get the puck up the ice. Bottom line though...the Leafs are about to become a powerhouse in this league...like it or not....and que the most dysfunctional fan base in all of sports as they start to blow steam....

On 3/4/2016 at 4:26 PM, AJgoal said:

Yeah, I don't understand. Assign whole number percentages. Take 100 balls. Put the logo of the teams in the lottery on the number of balls corresponding to their percentage (For traded picks, change the color of the ball itself or something). Draw one ball. Eliminate all the balls matching that one, and assign the first pick to the team whose logo is on the ball. Repeat for the 2nd and third picks. Easy peasy.

agree they make it TOO effin complicated

So in case anyone cares here is the final draft order for non-playoff teams....

1. Toronto
  2. Winnipeg
  3. Columbus
  4. Edmonton
  5. Vancouver
  6. Calgary
  7. Arizona
  8. Buffalo
  9. Montreal
  10. Colorado
  11. New Jersey
  12. Ottawa
  13. Carolina
  14. Boston

On 3/4/2016 at 2:29 PM, flyercanuck said:

Half the balls just have this on them  :pens

And here I've always thought the Penguins didn't have any balls.....:D

Seems almost criminal that the Jets were half decent/respectable and now get Laine....such is life with the lottery, huh...Columbus must feel robbed....Oilers can't cry EVER again...

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Seems almost criminal that the Jets were half decent/respectable and now get Laine....such is life with the lottery, huh...Columbus must feel robbed....Oilers can't cry EVER again...

In fairness, it's everybody other than the Oilers who have been crying.

54 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

In fairness, it's everybody other than the Oilers who have been crying.

True enough, it would pretty bold for them to complain about anything draft related at this point.

21 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Winnipeg was the 6th worst team in the league.  That's not decent or respectable. 35-39-8 for 78 points.  They finished 9 points below the lowest playoff team (Minnesota - 87 pts)

On 5/2/2016 at 8:01 PM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Winnipeg was the 6th worst team in the league.  That's not decent or respectable. 35-39-8 for 78 points.  They finished 9 points below the lowest playoff team (Minnesota - 87 pts)

I know they finished dreadful....but they played some good hockey at the start of the year. I was talking more about talent base than actual points anyways. This high pick is going to add to an already decent stable of young talent. If they hit on Kyle Connor, Joel Armia (not sold on him), Josh Morrissey, Marko Dano and Nic Petan....plus this #2 overall coming, Patrick Laine, he could make Winnipeg legit cup contenders. That makes 6 really highly thought of prospects, and that is not counting Scheiffle getting better, Ehlers getting better. In 3 years, they will be scary good.

Archived