VandeVelde suspended two games

Being that his elbow made contact with the head according to their view, they are punishing the action, though Vandy's intent was not to injure Jonathan, and after the game Jonathan even texted Vandy to not worry about it he was ok.

It also kinda solves a personel problem without any locker room/emotional issues.

Kinda like getting laid off from one job during the same week your being onboarded to a new job.   Uhh I was leaving anyways fellas, thanks and take care.

AIA(another interesting article)

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/3/18/11256980/philadelphia-flyers-penalty-kill-nhl-stats-analysis

Gudas used up all the get-out-of-suspension-free cards...oh well...

...he was the guy i wanted to scratch for Jake anyways so now i get my wish...and if everything goes well he could stay out the lineup barring another injury!

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

...he was the guy i wanted to scratch for Jake anyways so now i get my wish...and if everything goes well he could stay out the lineup barring another injury!

I was about to post the same comment. Great minds think alike! :drool:

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm okay with this. Simply a stupid, unnecessary play on VV's part.   Simply stupid.  

It doesn't help that it was on Toews, either.  Sit down, Chris. 

Agree 100%. Now, why are other players Subban/Rinaldo given free rides for injury causing head shots? How many previous times has VV been suspended for illegal hits? I can find none. So, first offense, pretty much yes. Injury on play, nope. Consistency from the Safety committee, NOT>A>CHANCE. I don't know why people ever think of conspiracy..............:mad:

I usually don't jump on the "league against the Flyers" bandwagon....BUT....the fact Subban didn't even get a penalty for his hit on Giroux makes the league/player safety seem absolutely silly!!!

This is where I would have NO PROBLEM with our GM or even coach calling out the league publicly on this one specifically sighting the fact that PK took out our #1 player and capt. for 3 games on an elbow and got NOTHING. Granted I agree it was a suspendable hit and stupid move by VV but 1st offense, no injury, etc etc....AND the fact that Subban got nothing! Not even a 2 min minor.....

UNREAL. JOKE.

2 hours ago, flyerrod said:

Agree 100%. Now, why are other players Subban/Rinaldo given free rides for injury causing head shots? How many previous times has VV been suspended for illegal hits? I can find none. So, first offense, pretty much yes. Injury on play, nope. Consistency from the Safety committee, NOT>A>CHANCE. I don't know why people ever think of conspiracy..............:mad:

I can't answer the consistency complaint.  There is no answer, because there is no consistency.   I don't buy, and never will, the conspiracy thing.  Every team's fans think that.   But I'm not sure the universe can exist with consistency from the NHL.  There's a physical law or something.

This is a b.s. suspension. Seriously, two games (!) for that? I can't believe he even had a hearing. Tons of stuff happens every game that's way more vicious and it never gets a second look....all the chops across the wrists and ankles, which guys do all the time hurt a helluva lot more than that silly little elbow jab.

Slo-motion makes it look so much worse than it really is. I'm not saying it was nothing; Toews certainly feels it but he barely misses a stride let alone his next shift.

Obviously the league has a bias against guys with 2 Vs in their name. been saying it for years...

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I just don't think the Subban thing is the same.  At all. 

I wouldn't say "at all," but I would say that these aren't the same thing. The VV hit was MUCH more clear cut than the Subban hit. Even the announcer says that it is hard to tell if he hit the head of Giroux.

let me say for the record that I think he DID catch G's head SOME. He also got some chest/shoulder. And G also seemed to be selling it some.

Contrast this to VV's hit. Toews' head is the only part of his body that moves. Toews couldn't see the hit coming, so there wasn't salesmanship on the head turning.

but here is what I don't like: it seems to me that the disparity is related to the star status of the player being evaluated. I remember in the playoffs about 5 years ago, Shea Weber put what was an illegal hit on Zetterberg. ANYONE who wasn't a star player would have been sitting for at least one playoff game, maybe two. They didn't suspend Weber. They FINED him! And to show just how STRONGLY they objected to the illegal hit, they fined him the maximum you can without a suspension...but their precious star was playing in the next game, just like usual. God forbid if the NHL were to lose revenue over calling a spade a spade!

The Subban hit is consistent with this, and so is the VV hit. Whoever posted that it didn't help that this hit was on Toews was right on. But I think if it's a star player, and there is no question about the infraction, they get suspended. But if there is/are questions, the star player gets a benefit of the doubt that a secondary player does not. And that's just plain wrong. It's business, but it's wrong.

One game would have been more appropriate.  Vandevelde has never been suspended before, a fine would have been acceptable. even one game.  Toews wasn't hurt.

I think the comment about Vandevelde approaching Toews from his blind side is an overstatement.   Toews looked directly at him as he turned the corner moving to the boards to get the puck on the pass.  Granted Vandevelde needed to speed up to make the hit...but ah that is all apart of hockey.  The call on the ice should have been 2 or maybe even 4 minutes for elbowing.  Then the league could have followed up with a fine, or a one game suspension.  But no ... as @SpikeDDS and others have stated this is a 4th line player hitting a star of the league. 

I'm curious to see going forward if others who elbow someone in the head will get the same suspension, I kinda doubt it.

14 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

e VV hit was MUCH more clear cut than the Subban hit.

Sure this isn't an elbow but to me even worse a cross check to the head with no suspension........

And yet Zac gets a suspension for this....

...so yes consistency on protecting this guys would be nice....

7 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The call on the ice should have been 2 or maybe even 4 minutes for elbowing.

And yet no penalty or call at all on this BS!!!!

...and sure these are different hits but which is it are we protecting these guys or not????

Archived