Flyers sign Alex Lyon

sekkes85

49 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm wondering if the signing means that the Flyers expect to lose Stolarz in the expansion draft.......

No. I just think they are just tired of signing the Labarbera and Zepp types. Let's get more than one solid goalie prospect so they don't have to rely on only one goalie that being Stolarz.

The other guys in the pipeline are a ways away from the AHL. The closest is Merrick Madsen but he will just be a junior NEXT year so that is two more year before he will even be a Phantom.

Plus now Lyon can/could be a goalie for the playoffs. In case of emergency of course. Because then you would be down Mase, Neuvy and Stoalrz.

8 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm wondering if the signing means that the Flyers expect to lose Stolarz in the expansion draft.......

I think it means goalies are such a crapshoot the more prospects you have the better odds of ONE panning out.

10 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Stolarz can't be lost in the expansion draft he hasn't even "played" one NHL game yet.  

The Flyers have to have goalies in their system.  At least 2 in Reading, and 2 in Allentown.  He'll be given an opportunity to play with the Phantoms next season.

As quoted from BroadStreetHockey... 

Lyon is a 23-year old American goaltender who has spent the last three years playing for the Yale Bulldogs of the ECAC. Over the past two seasons, he has been one of the top netminders in collegiate hockey, posting a 15-7-4 record with a 0.938 save percentage in his sophomore season and an 19-8-4 record with a 0.936 save percentage in his just-concluded junior year.

The Yale goalie was named a finalist for the Mike Richter Award (given to the best netminder in college) in both his sophomore and junior seasons, and was a top-10 finalist for the Hobey Baker Award given to the best overall player in college hockey this year.

There's little risk in signing a player who showed collegiate promise to an entry-level deal, and Lyon joins a goalie pipeline in Philadelphia that currently includes Anthony Stolarz, Felix Sandstrom, Matej Tomek and Ivan Fedotov. 

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Stolarz can't be lost in the expansion draft he hasn't even "played" one NHL game yet.  

The Flyers have to have goalies in their system.  At least 2 in Reading, and 2 in Allentown.  He'll be given an opportunity to play with the Phantoms next season.

As quoted from BroadStreetHockey... 

And he could win the starting job. He is older than Stolarz. This should be a healthy competition between the  seems like Phantoms have a damn good starting tandem whomever wins.

Best goalie prospects i can remember having at the same time.

Sounds like a great signing.  Was reading that teams like Chicago, LA, Edm, and Ottawa.  Found this brief description of him:

"Very technique-oriented goalie that combines quick reflexes with sound positional play. Superior core and lower-body strength exhibited through quick cross-crease pushes and smooth lateral movement. Quick glove hand that doesn't get beat very often. Isn't very scrambly and accurately predicts where the puck is going to hit him and where it will be redirected to if he doesn't hold onto it. Analyzes odd-man situations well and is always a step ahead. "

Lyon’s deal is 2 years @ 925K/year from what I read.  Very nice deal.  Way to go Hexy!

Flyers Goalie Depth as of now (for next season)

Flyers: Mason / Neuvirth

Phantoms: Stolarz / Lyon / (they fight it out for the #1 spot)

Reading: Sandstrom if he decides to come over (but I think he is still unsigned?)

Madsen, Fedotov, Tomek  are unsigned I think.

Madsen vs Lyon ... some nice Ivy League chirpen should be expected here ;)

Safe to say LaBarbara is gone. I like this move a lot. It also relieves a ton of pressure to take a goalie at the draft. If a good one comes our way, no issues grabbing him, but now our hand isn’t forced just because we need the depth.  It's another brilliant move by Hextall for sure. Stock up on goalies and develop them. Keep the best one and then sell the others for skaters.

I don't believe the expansion draft eligible is 2 years at the NHL its 2 years of professional hockey. I could be mistaken. Either way it is good to stock up as many goalie prospects as possible since it is such a crap shoot and the most important position.  If more than 1 pans out then you have yourself a nice trade piece to strengthen other areas.

2 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

I don't believe the expansion draft eligible is 2 years at the NHL its 2 years of professional hockey. I could be mistaken. Either way it is good to stock up as many goalie prospects as possible since it is such a crap shoot and the most important position.  If more than 1 pans out then you have yourself a nice trade piece to strengthen other areas.

This is believed to be correct. Since Stolarz played on the Phantoms last year, next season would be his third as a pro. Therefore, if the speculation is correct and teams will only be able to protect one goalie, the Flyers will need to make a decision between Stolarz and Mason.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And he could win the starting job. He is older than Stolarz. This should be a healthy competition between the  seems like Phantoms have a damn good starting tandem whomever wins.

Best goalie prospects i can remember having at the same time.

What are these "goalie prospects" you speak of?

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around defensive prospects.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around defensive prospects.

I'm still trying to figure out what these "second round" draft picks are.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I'm still trying to figure out what these "second round" draft picks are.

Pretty sure those are optional, no team ever really *needs* them.

I remember we drafted Dov Gromet Morris out of Harvard....knocked around the AHL....wonder if the Ivy League is a good training ground. But it's wise to bring in people.  At some point we have to hit.  Agreed that more Zepps and LaBarberras are not helping us.

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Dov Gromet Morris

What a throwback name.

To be fair you have never seen him (DGM) with a scouting report like Alex's. But at the end of the day he will have to earn it regardless of what a scouting report says about him. 

This guy with the reinforcements they have got this year with Willcox, Sanheim, Aube Kubel, Lindblom and Fazleev and now Lyons to tandem with Stolarz anything less than the playoffs next year has to be a HUGE disappointment. Now all they need is some coach to replace the ones they have now to coach them up, Gordon and Cote ain't it.

Baby steps. I still think they sign another free agent or two to go along with the group with the Phantoms still.

Goalie Alex Lyon, whom the Flyers signed out of Yale on Tuesday, is on the roster, Hextall confirmed.

Hextall says it’s a two-year contract with the 23-year-old — the first being this season, essentially making the deal for one year.

“There were a few teams after him,” Hextall said. “There were two teams that were willing to burn the year and it came down to whether they were willing to burn the year. Do we want to get the player? Yes. Do we want to burn the year? Not particularly, but we're willing to do it to get the player.”

Ray Emery is with the team for the rest of the regular season, giving the Flyers four goalies on their current roster.

“Quite frankly, we could never have enough goalies,” Hextall said. “Don't get me wrong, I don't like having five around, but I lost count when I started using my second hand. We better clear this out a little bit.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/sooner-anticipated-goalie-michal-neuvirth-returns-flyers-meniscus

Archived