Ghost : The incredible final totals

jammer2

What an incredible rookie season Ghost honoured us with. The amazing totals for the pride of Pebroke Pines, Florida are as follows....

1)64 Games - 17 Goals - 29 Assists - 46 points

2)82 game pace ...numbers rounded up...Goals 22 (0.265 per game) Assists 37 (0.453 per game) Points 59 (0.718 per game)

3)15 of 17 Goals either tied the game or won the game (WICKED stat!)

4)Age....turns 23 on April 20 during the 1st round of the playoffs

5)5 Game winning Goals

6)Of the 5 Game winning Goals, 4 of those came in Overtime..this ties Scott Niedermeyers all time rookie record.

7)Ghost's average of 0.26 goals per game is the 3rd best rookie average of all time for the NHL, the two in front of him...Brian Leetch and Mark Howe.

8)Logged a ton of ice time for a rookie, averaging 20.05 minutes per game

9)The last time a rookie D-man averaged 0.718 points per game was way back in the 92-93 season.

10)Artmiri Panarin, the guy most think has the edge on Ghost for rookie of the year turns 25 in October, a FULL year and half older than Ghost.

11)NCAA Frozen 4 MVP

12)Ghost averages 3.6 scoring chances per game, the exact same totals as NHL veterans Klingberg, Tyson Barrie and John Carlson.

13)Ghost tied the ALL TIME Flyers record for defensemen Power Play goals with 8...players he tied...Mark Howe and Eric Desjardins both with 8 also.

14)Shayne averaged 0.453 assists per game, over 82 games he would have been just 23 short of Gary Gally's Flyers record of 60 for a single season....Galley did it in his 7th season.

15)Ghost had 17 goals on the year....just 7 short of Mark Howe's all time Flyer record of 24 in a single season.

16)1st EVER Flyer rookie to record multiple Game Winning Overtime goals in a single season.

17)Ghost's 15 game rookie defensemen point scoring streak shattered the ALL TIME NHL record previously held by Barry Beck at 11 games.

18)Ghost was just 5 games short of the ALL TIME NHL record for rookies, held by Paul Stasney at 19 games.

19)The Flyers all time record for Game Winning Goals is 12 in a single season, held by Jeff Carter and Brian Propp, Ghost missed by 7 goals, but both Propp and Carter did it as established veterans.

20)Youngest ever winner of Flyer awards the Barry Ashbee trophy as Flyers top defensemen and also the Gene Hart Memorial Award.

21)Very respectable shooting percentage of 11.2% on the season.

22)Corsi For stat...16.

23)On a team that struggled mightily in regards to even strength goals, Ghost potted 9 of those, almost double digits for the rook.

24)15 Even Strength assist.

25)Ghost averaged 19.2 successful plays per game, almost 1 per minute since he averaged 20.05 Time on ice per game, this lead all Flyer d-men, Streit had 17.2 per game, a full 2 plays a game behind Ghost.

26)Ghost's 19.2 successful plays per game is 4 more than any other Flyer d-men averaged.

27)Ghost finished among the top 10 in the NHL in controlled carry outs from the defensive zone....this kid lugs the puck (successfully) more than 99% of the league...this will only get better.

28)Top 15 in the NHL in controlled offensive zone entries.

29)27 Total hits on the season...not bad for 165 pound kid.

30)58 total shot blocks on the season, willing to sacrafice his body to prevent goals.

31)Lowest dump in rate of any Flyer regular....very smart.

32)Flyers scored 36 power play goals while Ghost was on the ice.

33)Flyers scored 85 goals while Ghost was on the ice.

34)28 Take Aways on the season.

35)22 power play points for Ghost, in 64 games!!!

Just some stunning numbers folks....we saw something very special this year, with MUCH more to come in the future.

The Windsor Warriors are THRILLED to announce that Ghost will be one of their 5 keepers.....LOL!

Officially, Ghost finished 12th in defensemen scoring, but...it should be mentioned, all 11 d-men in front of him played 18 to 20 more games than him.

Another favourable stat for Ghost, of all the 11 d-men who scored more pts than him, only one was younger than him, that being  John Klingberg....he is 4 months younger than Ghost....everyone else is at least 2 years older than Shayne. This is not even factoring in all the missed games, which makes it that much more incredible.

Here is the *real* meat and potatoes of the D-man stats for 2016....

Points per game average....

1)Eric Karlsson 1.00pts per game

2)Brent Burns 0.91 pts per game

3)Ghost 0.76 pts per game

4)P.K Subban 0.75 pts per game

Goals per game

1)Brent Burns 0.33 Goals per game

2)Oliver Ekman-Larsson 0.28 Goals per game

3)Ghost 0.27 Goals per game

4)Giordano 0.26 Goals per game

Numbers 1, 2 and 4 SIGNIFICANTLY older than Ghost.....friggin awesome.

Another real kicker....these guys have come close to peaking and all of them are significantly better than their defensive partners on the top pp....Ghost will *probably* be playing on the top pp with Provorov next season AND he is every bit as talented as Ghost....SO...there is a real chance these numbers grow by leaps and bounds.....not only because he will have one more year experience, but also because Provs is so very talented in his own right....you can't cheat towards the point for BOTH d-men...they will have to pick one of them, or leave Giroux or Voracek wide open on the opposite walls.....wicked.

As I posted up above, Ghost would have had 59 pts in his rookie year if he had played 82 games and maintained his pace of 0.718 pts per game....I think he would have actually gotten more, somewhere around 62ish....anyways, this is the company he would have been in if he played a full rookie year....

Most points, rookie year for NHL d-men

1)Larry Murphy - 76 pts

2)Brian Leetch - 71 pts

3)Gary Suter - 68 pts

4)Phil Housley - 66 pts

5)Ray Bourque - 65 pts

6)Chris Chelois - 64 pts

7)Barry Beck - 60 pts

8)Reed Larson - 60 pts

9)Nicklas Lidstrom - 60 pts

10)Ghost - on pace for 59 pts

Sergi Zubov had 31 pts in his rookie year, but he only played in 49 games....just to reinforce the fact it was not lucky, Sergi promptly set the league on fire in his 2nd year...scoring a WHOPPING 89 pts in only 78 games. That guy was a super elite scoring machine. Could we see the same kinda jump up in stats from Ghost in his 2nd year?  I'm certainly not counting him out......especially if Provs is his partner on the top pp.

That my friends is some lofty neighbors to have!!  Just goes to show, how very special this kid is. I would say he is faster than everyone on that list besides Leetch and Bourque.....when Shayne turns on the jets, he is basically uncatchable.

Also....there are only 3 Flyer rookie defensemen who have scored multiple goals in a game during their rookie season...

1)Joni (pickmynose) Pitkanen

2)Jim Vandermeer

3)Ghost

I got this info from a Flyer fan site....but I'm wondering if it is 100% accurate, I could have sworn that Andy Delmore pulled off the feat also....maybe it was his second year....but I thought it was his rookie year....

28 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

As I posted up above, Ghost would have had 59 pts in his rookie year if he had played 82 games and maintained his pace of 0.718 pts per game....I think he would have actually gotten more, somewhere around 62ish....anyways, this is the company he would have been in if he played a full rookie year....

1)Larry Murphy - 76 pts

2)Brian Leetch - 71 pts

3)Gary Suter - 68 pts

4)Phil Housley - 66 pts

5)Ray Bourque - 65 pts

6)Chris Chelois - 64 pts

7)Barry Beck - 60 pts

8)Reed Larson - 60 pts

9)Nicklas Lidstrom - 60 pts

10)Ghost - on pace for 59 pts

Sergi Zubov had 31 pts in his rookie year, but he only played in 49 games....just to reinforce the fact it was not lucky, Sergi promptly set the league on fire in his 2nd year...scoring a WHOPPING 89 pts in only 78 games. That guy was a super elite scoring machine. Could we see the same kinda jump up in stats from Ghost in his 2nd year?  I'm certainly not counting him out......especially if Provs is his partner on the top pp.

That my friends is some lofty neighbors to have!!  Just goes to show, how very special this kid is. I would say he is faster than everyone on that list besides Leetch and Bourque.....when Shayne turns on the jets, he is basically uncatchable.

Also....there are only 3 Flyer rookie defensemen who have scored multiple goals in a game during their rookie season...

1)Joni (pickmynose) Pitkanen

2)Jim Vandermeer

3)Ghost

I got this info from a Flyer fan site....but I'm wondering if it is 100% accurate, I could have sworn that Andy Delmore pulled off the feat also....maybe it was his second year....but I thought it was his rookie year....

Good stuff indeed!

Delmore scored like 4 goals against the Pens but it was in the playoffs. That might factor in. 

All time NHL rookie defensemen goal totals.....

1) Mark Howe - 24 goals in 74 games

2) Brian Leetch - 23 goals in 68 games

3)Barry Beck - 22 goals in 75 games

4)Dion Phaneuf - 20 goals in 82 games

5)Shayne Gostisbehere - 17 goals in 64 games

10 hours ago, jammer2 said:

And what is most impressive about doing it is the era in which he did it. No way Larry Murphy would get 76 points in this era...no way. So bravo Ghost.

Someone on NHL Network said that he wasn't deserving of the rookie of the year, but was clearly the most valuable rookie. (Someone else there earlier said that in 2 or 3 years Connor McDavid would be the best player in the world!)

Seems to me that his impact on the team (no way we get even close to the playoffs without him) should be a huge consideration in deciding the rookie of the year/Calder.

Panarin will probably win the Calder, but how much of his success was dependent upon playing alongside of Patrick Kane? Whereas Ghost actually was the one having the impact on his teammates, IMO. Take Kane off the ice, and Panarin's numbers almost certainly go way down.

His maturity and growth this season were just absolutely incredible and almost defied logic.  And I don't mean just numbers. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that he opened a new chapter in Flyers history.  And he is only 22.... 

20 hours ago, AndyS said:

Someone on NHL Network said that he wasn't deserving of the rookie of the year, but was clearly the most valuable rookie. (Someone else there earlier said that in 2 or 3 years Connor McDavid would be the best player in the world!)

Seems to me that his impact on the team (no way we get even close to the playoffs without him) should be a huge consideration in deciding the rookie of the year/Calder.

Panarin will probably win the Calder, but how much of his success was dependent upon playing alongside of Patrick Kane? Whereas Ghost actually was the one having the impact on his teammates, IMO. Take Kane off the ice, and Panarin's numbers almost certainly go way down.

A very similar argument could be made for Giroux and Voracek being huge contributors to Ghost's success. Ghost and G found almost immediate chemistry and it paid off.

I am not trying to take anything away from Ghost, but he didn't succeed in a vacuum. He had some very talented linemates with which he found instant chemistry and it jumpstarted his NHL development.

Elliotte Friedman posted this a few days ago:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-picking-nhl-award-winners/

---

CALDER TROPHY

IT CAME DOWN TO: Shayne Gostisbehere, Connor McDavid and Artemi Panarin. The hardest vote for sure.

Really, really curious to see where McDavid finishes. I’ve only spoken to a few voters but they were serious about making him their choice. I get the logic. Of all the rookies, he’s the best. Pure talent, skill -- whatever. It’s McDavid. Only Kane and Benn had a higher points per game total. For me, the biggest question is consistency. In 2012, one of the reasons I voted Gabriel Landeskog over Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was games played. To appear in 82 games as an 18- or 19-year-old is impressive. McDavid is a generational talent and I wrestled with my voting history.

Gostisbehere was limited to 64 games but also had a huge impact: third in goals by defencemen, third in game-winners, first in overtime winners. His situation is a little different than McDavid’s. Should he be penalized by Ron Hextall’s patience? If he starts the season in Philadelphia, he’s on pace to play 78-80 games.

As for Panarin, people rip him for being 24 and playing with Patrick Kane. Every year I report on European players signing with NHL teams as free agents. Every year people ask, “Why do you pay attention to these guys? They’re garbage.” Making the transition is not easy. A top-10 scoring season is a tremendous accomplishment by any first-year player. As for lining up next to Kane, maybe a stiff could get 40 points but not 77.

Friedman also had this to say:

18. Looking at Gostisbehere, I can’t help but thinking of an old conversation with Keith Yandle. He talked about realizing Mike Babcock “game-planned” for him when he first faced the Red Wings in a playoff series. That’s when he realized how hard it is to win. Gostisbehere will face the possible coach of the year in Barry Trotz who has a long history of making it hard for opposing stars to score. Huge challenge for the defenceman.

On 4/11/2016 at 6:52 PM, jammer2 said:

What an incredible rookie season Ghost honoured us with. The amazing totals for the pride of Pebroke Pines, Florida are as follows....

1)64 Games - 17 Goals - 29 Assists - 46 points

2)82 game pace ...numbers rounded up...Goals 22 (0.265 per game) Assists 37 (0.453 per game) Points 59 (0.718 per game)

3)15 of 17 Goals either tied the game or won the game (WICKED stat!)

4)Age....turns 23 on April 20 during the 1st round of the playoffs

5)5 Game winning Goals

6)Of the 5 Game winning Goals, 4 of those came in Overtime..this ties Scott Niedermeyers all time rookie record.

7)Ghost's average of 0.26 goals per game is the 3rd best rookie average of all time for the NHL, the two in front of him...Brian Leetch and Mark Howe.

8)Logged a ton of ice time for a rookie, averaging 20.05 minutes per game

9)The last time a rookie D-man averaged 0.718 points per game was way back in the 92-93 season.

10)Artmiri Panarin, the guy most think has the edge on Ghost for rookie of the year turns 25 in October, a FULL year and half older than Ghost.

11)NCAA Frozen 4 MVP

12)Ghost averages 3.6 scoring chances per game, the exact same totals as NHL veterans Klingberg, Tyson Barrie and John Carlson.

13)Ghost tied the ALL TIME Flyers record for defensemen Power Play goals with 8...players he tied...Mark Howe and Eric Desjardins both with 8 also.

14)Shayne averaged 0.453 assists per game, over 82 games he would have been just 23 short of Gary Gally's Flyers record of 60 for a single season....Galley did it in his 7th season.

15)Ghost had 17 goals on the year....just 7 short of Mark Howe's all time Flyer record of 24 in a single season.

16)1st EVER Flyer rookie to record multiple Game Winning Overtime goals in a single season.

17)Ghost's 15 game rookie defensemen point scoring streak shattered the ALL TIME NHL record previously held by Barry Beck at 11 games.

18)Ghost was just 5 games short of the ALL TIME NHL record for rookies, held by Paul Stasney at 19 games.

19)The Flyers all time record for Game Winning Goals is 12 in a single season, held by Jeff Carter and Brian Propp, Ghost missed by 7 goals, but both Propp and Carter did it as established veterans.

20)Youngest ever winner of Flyer awards the Barry Ashbee trophy as Flyers top defensemen and also the Gene Hart Memorial Award.

21)Very respectable shooting percentage of 11.2% on the season.

22)Corsi For stat...16.

23)On a team that struggled mightily in regards to even strength goals, Ghost potted 9 of those, almost double digits for the rook.

24)15 Even Strength assist.

25)Ghost averaged 19.2 successful plays per game, almost 1 per minute since he averaged 20.05 Time on ice per game, this lead all Flyer d-men, Streit had 17.2 per game, a full 2 plays a game behind Ghost.

26)Ghost's 19.2 successful plays per game is 4 more than any other Flyer d-men averaged.

27)Ghost finished among the top 10 in the NHL in controlled carry outs from the defensive zone....this kid lugs the puck (successfully) more than 99% of the league...this will only get better.

28)Top 15 in the NHL in controlled offensive zone entries.

29)27 Total hits on the season...not bad for 165 pound kid.

30)58 total shot blocks on the season, willing to sacrafice his body to prevent goals.

31)Lowest dump in rate of any Flyer regular....very smart.

32)Flyers scored 36 power play goals while Ghost was on the ice.

33)Flyers scored 85 goals while Ghost was on the ice.

34)28 Take Aways on the season.

35)22 power play points for Ghost, in 64 games!!!

Just some stunning numbers folks....we saw something very special this year, with MUCH more to come in the future.

The Windsor Warriors are THRILLED to announce that Ghost will be one of their 5 keepers.....LOL!

#3 is absolutely amazing.  That's what should get him the Calder

5 hours ago, brelic said:

Friedman also had this to say:

18. Looking at Gostisbehere, I can’t help but thinking of an old conversation with Keith Yandle. He talked about realizing Mike Babcock “game-planned” for him when he first faced the Red Wings in a playoff series. That’s when he realized how hard it is to win. Gostisbehere will face the possible coach of the year in Barry Trotz who has a long history of making it hard for opposing stars to score. Huge challenge for the defenceman.

The more attention the Caps pay to Ghost, the more open ice for our forwards.

Picky our poison.

20 minutes ago, AndyS said:

The more attention the Caps pay to Ghost, the more open ice for our forwards.

Picky our poison.

In theory i would normaly agree. But let's be honest there in no one who is remotely a thread from the backend once you take Ghost out the equation....hell his partner is to busy backwards skating towards Mason than towards Holtby. Streit is no longer a threat at all hell it seems he is even scared to fire it from the point anymore because he is more concerned about him and Schultz getting burned once his misses wide and the play goes the other way.

Also has anyone ever seen Streit break up a two on one the other way??? I mean even get a stick on the pass or anything?? I know i haven't it's a goal every time if Mase doesn't do it himself. Seriously anyone got a clip or gif of Streit breaking one up??? I'd love to see it.

43 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Streit is no longer a threat at all hell it seems he is even scared to fire it from the point anymore because he is more concerned about him and Schultz getting burned once his misses wide and the play goes the other way.

what ?

sometimes i wonder if we watch the same games...Striet has been fine.  He has been skating well, pinching well, he's been putting pucks on the net for Simmonds to deflect.  His shots may be down but when he lets loose it's effective. Now you want to talk about McDud suddenly looking low functioning in the offensive zone...we'll we can talk about that.

40 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

sometimes i wonder if we watch the same games...Striet has been fine.  He has been skating well, pinching well, he's been putting pucks on the net for Simmonds to deflect.  His shots may be down but when he lets loose it's effective.

Streit's 14 points and 3 goals in 46 games (.3 ppg) since coming back isn't getting anyone worried.

10 games without a shot at all, 14 more with just one shot.

That's 60% of his post-injury time with one shot or less.

And while he did set up Simmonds in the past two games against Tronno and a Pens team sitting Crosby and Letang, those are the only two post-injury assists on a Simmonds goal.

Like Timonen, his innate positioning awareness makes him less of a defensive liability on the ice, but he's no where near the offensive guy he was pre-injury (3 goals, 6 assists in 16 games (.56 ppg) and only six games (37%) with one shot or less - two of the zero-shot games were the two immediately before he went on IR and he only had one before that).

I've spent time at a couple of games specifically watching him and he does look a step slower than we're used to.

40 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Now you want to talk about McDud suddenly looking low functioning in the offensive zone...we'll we can talk about that.

"Suddenly"? :hocky:

@radoran@OccamsRazor

I wonder if he (Striet) retires at the end of this season.

I said," fine" but he doesn't look "good" either,  I know he's making bank and if i cared more i'd look to see how his contract was structured, maybe he isn't making enough money to make the effort to prepare to play worth while.  I've never had a pubic plate detachment nor been a pro athlete but those two things seem pretty incongruous to me. He might be a guy that says the heck with it if his contract was front loaded and he's due to make a lot less $ in the last year of his deal.

That wouldn't be a "great" thing but it would speed up the youth infusion, maybe. 

RE McDud. i wonder if he's actually French with the way he skates backwards and blows kisses to rushing forwards...

Archived