NHL Playoffs: Eastern Conference Semi-Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Metro (#1) Washington Capitals

TropicalFruitGirl26

NHL Playoffs: Eastern Conference Semi-Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Metro (#1) Washington Capitals  

21 members have voted

1. 1. NHL Playoffs: Eastern Conference Semi-Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Metro (#1) Washington Capitals

• Capitals in 4 (Sweep)
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7
    • Penguins in 4 (sweep)
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

7 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

My hats just it though... The replay is quite clear those two things didn't happen.  The league even shows in the replay primary contact is chest and he only leaves his feet as a result of impact not to initiate it.  But the DiPShits throw a suspension anyway to shut up whining Trotz with absolutely ZERO grounds for it.  The .03 seconds barely even justifies the two minute penalty let alone a suspension.  Total and absolute bullshat!

I have to disagree because from what I saw his skates did leave the ice and his shoulder definitely went into his chin and jaw. All the reports I am seeing say that exact same thing.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Holtbeast said:

I have to disagree because from what I saw his skates did leave the ice and his shoulder definitely went into his chin and jaw. All the reports I am seeing say that exact same thing.

The problem is with the DiPShits video explanation. 

https://www.nhl.com/video/kris-letang-suspended-1-game/t-277440360/c-43830303

In that they specifically state that it is not "charging"(leaving your feet) as he came off as a result of the hit, not as part of the hit.  And it was not a "hit to the head", as the primary point of contact is the chest, but the head is also hit because he hits him full on.    In essence, as Polaris has stated, if this hit happens .1 seconds earlier( or some fractional amount that the NHL doesn't say), in the NHL's view there is no penalty or suspension, regardless of the contact made.

The DiPShits explanation also leaves the whole late thing muddled, first he says that he is not eligible to be hit because "Johanson had already passed the puck, andplayers without possession of the puck are never eligible to be checked". WHAT!  Oh wait, then he qualifies,  "However, the interference rule allows for a brief window during which a player who initiates a hit while his opponent is in possession of the puck may legally finish a check, this was not the case". That is clear as mud.  What is the window. And in the leadup, he already stated that Letang was already stepping up to engage Johanson before he passed, so does that constitute initiating. 

Look, don't get me wrong, I'm okay with the suspension, but the league has to be clear on a few things for me and for everyone:

1) What is late, if .6 seconds is the rule, then they need to tell the refs this and enforce it because the are sooooo many hits that are beyond that its funny.  Watch an Isles game, that fourth line should be in the box the whole game, the puck thing is secondary.  So a late hit is not a late hit as long as you don't make "significant contact" to the head.  Got it.

2) And what do you mean by initiating a check?  In this case Letang is clearly pulling up to engage Johanson prior to the pass, they even said so, so where or how do you determine the initiating of the check.  

As long as they keep up with explanations that are not clear, there will continue to confusion and disagreement between us fans. 

And I would love to know if after these hits, whether Hickey was trying to buy a call/suspension last night on the OT winner.   Wouldn't that be rich.

I definitely agree things are not clear at all when it comes to the rules the NHL try to constitute these infractions by. They are also not held to the same standards from player to player or hit to hit night in and night out. This is what makes the fans confused and even more enraged about the whole process.

As for last nights OT hit from Boyle on Hickey. It sure looks like Hickey was trying to playing it up and get Boyle sent to the box. I don't think his act is going to work though, but you never know with the NHL and the way they handle fines and suspensions.

I didn't read through the thread, so I hope I'm ;not repeating a topic already talked about....but here goes...Pens fans....settle a argument at work....I work with a Pens fan, he thinks if Fleury was healthy at the start of the playoffs, he would have been the go to guy from the start. I think that the potential looming expansion draft caused the Pens to find out if Murray had "it" in the playoffs. Matt would have been the guy no matter how MAF was feeling.

It's one thing to acknowledge a very nice skill set....but A) if he was to be the goalie of the future, experience in the playoffs will be of paramount importance for Matt and B)see how Matt handles the pressure. I think the salary cap savings will be impossible to ignore, plus, Matt has proven to be quite the young talent....he has poise, that all important factor...grace under pressure if you will.

This OT period is SO important to OV and his legacy....he cannot lose this series to the Pens....Crosby already has a cup.....so, OV really must take his team on his back and not let this sucker go 3-1....that is just to much to climb back from

Hugh win for the Pens.  Pretty good game to watch(better when your team wins) with a lot of excitement. I was really worried with the pressure the Caps were putting on the young defense, but in the end, Murray held the fort long enough.    

ya Murray was super when he needed to be - this game was so close, easily could've gone the Caps' way. They looked much better than last game when Pitt was all over the loose pucks, all over the puck-carrier. They smothered the Caps attack but tonight was a different story.

I can't see them taking the next 3 in a row but I won't be surprised if it goes 7.

The Caps have puts there backs against the wall. I think once again tonight they outplayed the Penguins but not as much like the other evening. I will not completely give up until the final horn blows and the Penguins win there 4th game of the series. It is a damn shame they have come up against what seems to be this unstoppable goalie in this series because I feel they outplayed the Penguins in 3 out of the 4 games except for Murray. Now it is time for the Capitals to take it one game at a time, but having to win 3 in a row and 1 in Pittsburgh is one tough task. Damn shame because they had a great year.

1 minute ago, canoli said:

ya Murray was super when he needed to be - this game was so close, easily could've gone the Caps' way. They looked much better than last game when Pitt was all over the loose pucks, all over the puck-carrier. They smothered the Caps attack but tonight was a different story.

I can't see them taking the next 3 in a row but I won't be surprised if it goes 7.

I will be ecstatic if it goes to game 7.

34 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I didn't read through the thread, so I hope I'm ;not repeating a topic already talked about....but here goes...Pens fans....settle a argument at work....I work with a Pens fan, he thinks if Fleury was healthy at the start of the playoffs, he would have been the go to guy from the start. I think that the potential looming expansion draft caused the Pens to find out if Murray had "it" in the playoffs. Matt would have been the guy no matter how MAF was feeling.

It's one thing to acknowledge a very nice skill set....but A) if he was to be the goalie of the future, experience in the playoffs will be of paramount importance for Matt and B)see how Matt handles the pressure. I think the salary cap savings will be impossible to ignore, plus, Matt has proven to be quite the young talent....he has poise, that all important factor...grace under pressure if you will.

The Pens brought up Murray at the end of the season because of how well he's played in the AHL and I think they wanted him up for the experience backing up Fleury if something went wrong(Zatkoff is awful). When Fleury went down, Murray stepped in pretty flawlessly.  I think if Fleury had been ready prior to the start of the playoffs, he'd still be their guy. But the way Murray is playing, its now his job until something bad happens. 

As for expansion, there is no doubt that they have to protect Murray as the goalie of the future.  Not sure if they'd do it in the off season, but I could see them moving Fleury if they can find someone to take him. 

@jammer2 I think if Fleury were healthy to start the playoffs he would have started.  Murray is in now because he's been exceptional.

@Holtbeast. The only game your Caps outplayed the Pens was game 3.  Game 1 was won by the Caps on two soft goals Murray wishes he had back.  Game 3 was the only game theCaps were the better team.  I know you don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. Murray stole game 3.  But he gave you game 1...

Dear NHL Department of Player Safety:

Thank you for the much needed maintenance day.

Warmest regards,

Kris Letang

Defense

Pittsburgh Penguins

66 Mario Lemieux Place

Pittsburgh, PA  15219

3 hours ago, Digityman said:

Maybe it's been said somewhere else, but if the Caps lose this series there are going to be big changes in Washington... as there should be. 

Choke

Away

Season

9 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

@jammer2 I think if Fleury were healthy to start the playoffs he would have started.  Murray is in now because he's been exceptional.

@Holtbeast. The only game your Caps outplayed the Pens was game 3.  Game 1 was won by the Caps on two soft goals Murray wishes he had back.  Game 3 was the only game theCaps were the better team.  I know you don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. Murray stole game 3.  But he gave you game 1...

All I can say is I disagree. I am also not and will never give up on my team. Yes we have never won The Cup and yes the Caps have over there career played poorly in the post season even though I have only seen part of that. They have however provided me with some really enjoyable and great seasons of fun hockey to watch and even occasionally attend a game here and there. Of course I would love to see them hoist the Stanley Cup, but this season they have provided me with many enjoyable moments including one I probably will never see again in a Caps uniform a 500 goal scorer. So even if they lose on Saturday or if they lose in game 6 or 7 I will say Congrats to the Capitals for a great season and look forward to another great season ahead next year.

Every year there is only 1 team that gets to lift that great Cup. Does that mean that every other team in the league chokes every year because they didn't win it? We'd have quite a few choking teams every season.

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Mr Trotz you have a fox in the henhouse!  You put your faith in the wrong guy.  Mr Mike Weber is a game killer.  He is the Ryan Fitzpatrick of the NHL.  He found a way to try and clear the puck and instead put a perfect pass to the opposing team and the puck is in the back of the net and now its 3-1 Pittsburgh.  I do believe that Washington is very capable of overcoming this.  Right now it looks daunting.  But they simply must go one at a time and they are good enough to do it.  But Weber should benched.  He was not given a ton of minutes but OT when you are looking down a barrel of a 3-1 deficit is no time to put him in there.  He jut does not think.  He has killed the Sabres many times when they were in contention.  I am sure Ryan Miller would agree but would never say.  He has toughness and grit but he just does not make the right choices with the puck.  He should have cleared the puck towards center ice and not to the side from where he was positioned.  That guy drives me nuts

Hey, I thought Weber played a heck of a game.  I mean really, look at that one handed pass he made for the game winner.  :lol:

But really, blaming Weber because of the last goal, though a little deserved, is harsh.  If he doesn't flick that away, Crosby is right there, that's what Weber saw.  Not his fault that someone left Hornqvist alone in the left circle.   And what is wrong with both teams Power Plays, they're awful.  Two days off, I expect a lot of practice 5 v 4 those two days. 

Holtbeast, quick question as I haven't seen many a Caps game this season.  Does Holtby have a 5hole problem?  All three goals last night were between the legs.

And yes, the Pens lead the series 3-1, but this is NOT over. As I said, neither teams PP is clicking.  If the Caps get going on the PP, could be a different story altogether.(then again, if the Pens do it could too) 

I don't know if it is entirely Weber's fault, but he was a major part of it. It was sure a defensive let down.

As for Holtby having a 5 Hole problem I usually don't see it a major issue.

I agree the series is not over yet. The Caps need to continue the pressure and take this one game at a time. If they can get it back it game 7 it is a whole new ballgame.

17 minutes ago, Holtbeast said:

All I can say is I disagree. I am also not and will never give up on my team. Yes we have never won The Cup and yes the Caps have over there career played poorly in the post season even though I have only seen part of that. They have however provided me with some really enjoyable and great seasons of fun hockey to watch and even occasionally attend a game here and there. Of course I would love to see them hoist the Stanley Cup, but this season they have provided me with many enjoyable moments including one I probably will never see again in a Caps uniform a 500 goal scorer. So even if they lose on Saturday or if they lose in game 6 or 7 I will say Congrats to the Capitals for a great season and look forward to another great season ahead next year.

Every year there is only 1 team that gets to lift that great Cup. Does that mean that every other team in the league chokes every year because they didn't win it? We'd have quite a few choking teams every season.

Don't take anything personal on here (not that you are). For the most part we're all pretty good at giving and taking jabs at each other...you seem to fit in quite well.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Don't take anything personal on here (not that you are). For the most part we're all pretty good at giving and taking jabs at each other...you seem to fit in quite well.

Oh no, it is just a game. Everyone has there opinions and I can respect them. I can also disagree with them as well and have my own opinions. That is what I really like about this site in the short time I have been here. I can say what I believe and someone can disagree and then we can move on. This is a great forum with a great group of hockey fans.

11 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

The Flower gets traded to Calgary after the season.........you heard it here first....

Archived