Matthews REALLY Debuts!

SpikeDDS

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

incredible performance but in true Leafs fashion they lose in OT - and that OT goal was on Matthews...

It's pretty difficult to blame anyone for a goal in a 3 v 3 situation. The pace is so much faster than normal that players are going to sneak by. I think we can cut the rookie some slack.

Just now, Haliax said:

It's pretty difficult to blame anyone for a goal in a 3 v 3 situation. The pace is so much faster than normal that players are going to sneak by. I think we can cut the rookie some slack.

Agreed.

Besides, there is this one guy, called a "goaltender".

HE'S supposed to stop shots, no? That's what I hear anyways....

Seriously, Frederik Andersen did not look good all game and that OT goal was just the capper.

24 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

incredible performance but in true Leafs fashion they lose in OT - and that OT goal was on Matthews...

Inexperience. I don't think they play a 3v3 OT in the Swiss League, do they? It is a completely different game, and he's gotta learn what his responsibilities are.

13 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

This is the leafs we are talking about! No Praise!

This needs to be stressed. He had ZERO assists. And he is playing against Dion Phaneuf

lol

No assists? Selfish. :5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss:

3 hours ago, Haliax said:

it is the Leafs - you have to give 'em **** somehow :toast:

5 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Agreed.

Besides, there is this one guy, called a "goaltender".

HE'S supposed to stop shots, no? That's what I hear anyways....

Seriously, Frederik Andersen did not look good all game and that OT goal was just the capper.

Neither Anders(o/e)n looked good.

Got a little confusing because the Leafs' radio guys didn't always say who was shooting, so hearing "Anders(o/e)n makes a save, another save!" got REALLY confusing.

43 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Got a little confusing because the Leafs' radio guys didn't always say who was shooting, so hearing "Anders(o/e)n makes a save, another save!" got REALLY confusing.

Fortunately, that didn't happen a whole lot.

I feel bad for my wife. She's a Leaf's fan, and she liked Reimer. I like Reimer. I think they'd have been fine if they stuck with him and built up the defense in front of him, rather than chase Bernier and now Andersen.

6 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

He has been the talk of sports radio all morning (with some jokes thrown in about the Leafs STILL losing the game of course...heh)

That's my only beef. This was a very winnable game against a team that I think will finish LAST in the division. 

On 10/13/2016 at 7:46 AM, BluPuk said:

Unbelieveable. I thought we (Leafs) dominated just about the entire game. Marner was good, Nylander was good Brown was good, almost everybody was good.

Just imagine what we could do if we had a goaltender.....:5722cdef07055_notfair:

Want Fleury?

17 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

That's my only beef. This was a very winnable game against a team that I think will finish LAST in the division. 

Well look at the bright side at least they received the losers point.

37 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

Not sure what your goal was in posting that OR, I'm disappointed in you, but you do realise that the Leafs losing doesn't make your team any better? :eyeroll:

Huh why be disappointed? He had a chance to win it and missed and the other guy didn't that's all nothing more.

Hasn't had a goal since his 1st game. Just saying.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

OOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooocccccccccccccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

:hocky:

This is what I hate about 3-on-3 overtime and why I think it's such a ****** gimmick. A player makes an honest attempt to score on a break and the punishment for doing so is that the play goes the other way and morphs into an unstoppable 2-on-1. It's just shameless game manipulation by the NHL to turn the product into a live video game for people with ADHD. 

I guess players should now decline breakaways during 3-on-3 and wait until they get a 2-on-1. The odds of scoring are so much better with a 2-on-1. I guess a breakaway isn't worth the risk any more. 

I realize this immediate attack-counterattack does happen during regular play, but it's guaranteed to happen in 3-on-3 play. It's manufactured and fake in my opinion.  :confused[1]: 

12 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

This is what I hate about 3-on-3 overtime and why I think it's such a ****** gimmick. A player makes an honest attempt to score on a break and the punishment for doing so is that the play goes the other way and morphs into an unstoppable 2-on-1. It's just shameless game manipulation by the NHL to turn the product into a live video game for people with ADHD. 

I guess players should now decline breakaways during 3-on-3 and wait until they get a 2-on-1. The odds of scoring are so much better with a 2-on-1. I guess a breakaway isn't worth the risk any more. 

I realize this immediate attack-counterattack does happen during regular play, but it's guaranteed to happen in 3-on-3 play. It's manufactured and fake in my opinion.  :confused[1]: 

Hey man, don't take it so personally. Yes, it's a gimmick...it beats the shootout (barely) And it'll inevitably happen the other way sometime this season. 

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hey man, don't take it so personally. Yes, it's a gimmick...it beats the shootout (barely) And it'll inevitably happen the other way sometime this season. 

(Sigh.)    :5726b5faa5ef9_lookssad:   (Inserts meds.)   :ahappy:

You're right. I'm feeling much better.  

I'm just curious if players will alter their strategy. The odds of scoring on a breakaway are only ~35-40% maybe. If the player knows that a failed breakaway will cost his team a 2-on-1 the other way, the smart play is to hold back and wait for backup. If you don't have a 2-on-1 during 3-on-3 play, abort the breakaway attempt and defend. Or perhaps the player on a breakaway should cut in from the side, snipe a shot on goal from ~25 feet out and immediately circle back. If you get caught behind the goal line you're toast. You can't do a full breakaway attempt during 3-on-3. It's too risky. 

Archived