Why Can"t this team

Jam1986

Come out on fire from first puck drop? This is been a problem for years. Is it the coaches fault or the players? Will  the 2 kids stay?  Please tell G cover his guy. Will Hextall shake up this team? Forgive me for prolonging .

1 hour ago, Jam1986 said:

Come out on fire from first puck drop? This is been a problem for years. Is it the coaches fault or the players? Will  the 2 kids stay?  Please tell G cover his guy. Will Hextall shake up this team? Forgive me for prolonging .

If by kids you mean, Provorov and Konecny, it's 10 games, they can't be sent back now..  

G is tied for the league lead in points.  Pretty sure he's not the problem.  

They've actually played better to start the last 2 games(finally scored 1st goal in each game).

Want to point a finger?  Look at the goalies, they are terrible right now.  Flyers have the 2nd lowest save percentage(was lowest before last night) and the 3rd lowest GAA.  They have to be better.  Simple as that.  Every mistake ends up in the net; need to step up and make some saves.   

I'm honestly wondering if the issue isn't the goalie coach to a degree?  IIRC, both goalies have regressed since Jeff Reese left during last season.  

30 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Gazoo....they can still be sent down, it's just that it will still count as a year of pro service off their ELC.

Thanks, bud...I thought it was 9 or nothing.  Obviously, doesn't make sense to send them down regardless.

2 hours ago, Jam1986 said:

2 kids have to stay at this point.  Last night was game 10.  They cannot go anywhere now.  

I have no idea why they don't ever start fired up.  They start every game like they've just woken up.

What I will say is that there have been a lot of back to back games and one night rest games for them and odd travelling conditions.  Usually back to back games are either home and homes or mixed games against the NY/NJ teams, Devils or Pens.  Not that Montreal and Carolina are THAT much farther, but when you're boarding a plane after a game and not getting to bed until 2 or 3, it can take a toll.  

It's an explanation, but not an excuse.  This team has long had slow starts to the season.  Their record is I think better than the first 10 games in a few years, but they somehow don't look as good.  I like how much they are scoring, but the defensive miscues and the goalies softness are concerning me.  

Mason's been mostly strong and has had to relieve Neuvy too much, but Neuvy's now had to relieve Mase and frankly even though he didn't have a good game last night, at least he played all of it (however weak that team may be).

THe bright side is that they've been "in" every game so far.  Even the Chicago game was tied close to the end (at which point the Flyers promptly fell apart).  But it's not like they're not competing.

The defensive miscues have just been so much more frequent than we're used to and when they occur, they have been utterly catastrophic almost 100% of the time... which is also rare.  Usually they recover and have a close call and it doesn't always result in a goal.  This year, every nearly miscue has resulted in a goal.  

Everyone has screw ups, they don't all end up in the net.  We're seeing more than we're used to and they're all ending up in the net.  

58 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

Thanks, bud...I thought it was 9 or nothing.  Obviously, doesn't make sense to send them down regardless.

They'd have to start having real problems for this to make sense and frankly I think at this point, they need to stay here to learn from the mistakes they're making.  

They are both playing very well for the most part.  Provo's screw ups have almost all resulted in goals though and that's not okay.  

I don't think sending him back down and blowing the year on his ELC helps him not make these mistakes any faster.

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

They cannot go anywhere now.  

Again, not true, it just has contract implications. Staying past 9 games burns a year off their ELC. Playing 40 or more games makes them a free agent sooner. 

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Again, not true, it just has contract implications. Staying past 9 games burns a year off their ELC. Playing 40 or more games makes them a free agent sooner. 

Fair enough, but it's essentially ALL BUT TRUE.  They're not going to send them to Juniors now. Both are playing well, both have kinks to work out adjusting to the pro game.  That's not going to happen in Juniors. 

They'll be staying for better or worse and eventually it will be for better.

Just now, King Knut said:

Fair enough, but it's essentially ALL BUT TRUE.  They're not going to send them to Juniors now. Both are playing well, both have kinks to work out adjusting to the pro game.  That's not going to happen in Juniors. 

Ok, sure. Plus, Hextall has said that if they make the team they are here for the year, right? My apologies.

54 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Konecny is playing well. Provorov isn't. He's been ok. I'm not saying they should send him back, but he's been a HUGE defensive liability, and his decision-making and puck pursuit don't seem NHL-ready.

He'll learn, but he's much more raw that I thought he would be. 

5 hours ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

I'm honestly wondering if the issue isn't the goalie coach to a degree?  IIRC, both goalies have regressed since Jeff Reese left during last season.  

It's 10 games, the goalies he has currently in Dallas have regressed by that logic too. This love affair with Jeff Reese is obnoxious, the guy had his chance with 11 different goalies in 6 seasons, any regression is due to 3 rookies, 2 of them on defense, Del Zotto hurt, Gudas suspended for 6 games and both goalies who have historically been inconsistent in both the places they came from and under Reese.

First 10 games last year for Mason?

kbZhE67.png 

This year?

hWYQ0b6.png

Neuvirth?

Last?

9V0G8Ge.png

This

5XhoCa6.png

They look like the same goalies.

49 minutes ago, brelic said:

Konecny is playing well. Provorov isn't. He's been ok. I'm not saying they should send him back, but he's been a HUGE defensive liability, and his decision-making and puck pursuit don't seem NHL-ready.

uh oh. someone's gonna come in your direction bearing sarcastic GIFs!

While I agree, I also think that Provo has played well.  He's both good and terrible right now.  The terrible tends to be miscues that get better with time as you say.  

He almost seems nervous and jittery out there which I can't blame him for, but dude... you already made the team.  Listen to the coach.  Time to start winning games.  They count now and you have responsibilities.  Head up.  Keep it in the game.  Fundamentals... yadda yadda

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Konecny is also playing with some top notch NHL forwards...Provorov is playing with a bunch of bums at his position and a couple of sieves in net.

39 minutes ago, NRH said:

It's 10 games, the goalies he has currently in Dallas have regressed by that logic too. This love affair with Jeff Reese is obnoxious, the guy had his chance with 11 different goalies in 6 seasons, any regression is due to 3 rookies, 2 of them on defense, Del Zotto hurt, Gudas suspended for 6 games and both goalies who have historically been inconsistent in both the places they came from and under Reese.

kbZhE67.png

This year?

hWYQ0b6.png

Neuvirth?

Last?

9V0G8Ge.png

This

5XhoCa6.png

Trade ya Andersen and Enroth for those two. :hocky:

1 hour ago, NRH said:

kbZhE67.png

This year?

hWYQ0b6.png

Neuvirth?

Last?

9V0G8Ge.png

This

5XhoCa6.png

Love affair, huh?   :eyeroll:

So it's your position that the second to last Save Percentage is due stritcly to the poor defense, injuries/suspensions and young players?  It has NOTHING to do with the fact that both goalies have played horrible for most of this year?  

Mason's Save Percentage this year:  .878.  Last season's--.918  

Neuvy's Save Percentage this year:  .861.  Last season's: .924

There's more to it than just a "it's 10 games" excuse, IMO.  They've played like crap.  And like most teams/players, when they play like crap, I tend to look at coaching.  Especially when they both appear to be very fundamentally flawed at times.  Off the post, not playing angles, not tracking pucks/puck movement/etc

I'm as sick as any Flyers fan of hearing about goal tending, goal tending issues, and I'm certainly not blaming everything that's happened on the goalies.  I'm also not saying it won't improve, but of all the issues with this team--right now--the biggest one is goal tending.  

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

While I agree with your post, anything is possible.  Edmonton kept Leon Draisaitl for 37 games (in 2014-15) before sending him back to his Junior team.  Almost half the season before being sent back, you'd think it had to be a huge blow to his confidence.  But it wasn't.

I trust Hexy's judgement to do the best thing for these players.

I feel like because of this team's inexperience and knack of turning the puck over at bad times, that they're not going out there with any prolonged aggressive attack. Add to that, that the goaltending has been subpar. I think that makes their offense timid, and makes their centers and wings more worried about backchecking than attacking and putting the puck in the net. They always are thinking they have to help their D.

11 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I feel like because of this team's inexperience and knack of turning the puck over at bad times, that they're not going out there with any prolonged aggressive attack. Add to that, that the goaltending has been subpar. I think that makes their offense timid, and makes their centers and wings more worried about backchecking than attacking and putting the puck in the net. They always are thinking they have to help their D.

Except the Flyers are tied for 1st in Goals For after 10 games. That doesn't sound like "timid" to me...maybe they need more balance. Or just better goal tending. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

On 10/31/2016 at 9:28 AM, DaGreatGazoo said:

If by kids you mean, Provorov and Konecny, it's 10 games, they can't be sent back now..  

G is tied for the league lead in points.  Pretty sure he's not the problem.  

They've actually played better to start the last 2 games(finally scored 1st goal in each game).

Want to point a finger?  Look at the goalies, they are terrible right now.  Flyers have the 2nd lowest save percentage(was lowest before last night) and the 3rd lowest GAA.  They have to be better.  Simple as that.  Every mistake ends up in the net; need to step up and make some saves.   

G is tied for the lead in points, Simmer in goals, Jake just behind them.

The problem?  they all have Ovechkin like +/- mostly because so many of their points are coming on the PP and the whole team is just giving up so damn many goals.

We all wanted more goals to come and so they are (for the time being and god willing it stays).  The next step is cleaning up their back end (STOP, don't say it) and being more responsible defensively.  

Another concern I have is exactly what I feared, the 2nd line has maintained it's advanced metrics, but has dropped off in goals scored and I think it's because the skill from that 2nd line is now on the first.  

Since moving Konex to the top line, the top line has scored more and G is back on track like gangbusters, but the team is winning less and the 2nd line is snake bitten.

Not sure it's a winning move yet.  

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

G is tied for the lead in points, Simmer in goals, Jake just behind them.

The problem?  they all have Ovechkin like +/- mostly because so many of their points are coming on the PP and the whole team is just giving up so damn many goals.

We all wanted more goals to come and so they are (for the time being and god willing it stays).  The next step is cleaning up their back end (STOP, don't say it) and being more responsible defensively.  

Another concern I have is exactly what I feared, the 2nd line has maintained it's advanced metrics, but has dropped off in goals scored and I think it's because the skill from that 2nd line is now on the first.  

Since moving Konex to the top line, the top line has scored more and G is back on track like gangbusters, but the team is winning less and the 2nd line is snake bitten.

Not sure it's a winning move yet.  

Here's my concern;  they take 20 games to get the D/Goaltending in order.  Suddenly, the puck stops going in the net and we have a reply of large parts of last year.

The top 6 should be 10-28-17, 11,14,93.  Set that and forget it for 10 games...let's see what happens.  If they do, I don't think my lack of scoring prediction comes true.  There's enough talent/balance there to score some goals.

If Hak continues to change every line, every game, who knows what happens.

He/they really need to figure out the bottom 6.  Other than Read, they are getting next to zero in production from there.  Would be great to get some balance moving deeper into the season.

7 minutes ago, canoli said:

Paging Matt Read. Blazing first 5 or 6 games then a blank. I know he's getting shuttled around a bit but...I'm not sure that explains it all.

Same for Couturier. He was solid in the first few games and then disappeared.

Archived