Game #14 - Red Wings (3) at Flyers (2) - Nov 8, 2016 @ 7:00 ET

brelic

Team stats

Team GP W L OTL PTS GF GA PP (Rank) PK (Rank) Last 10 Streak
Flyers 13 6 6 1 13 47 48 27.4% (4th) 77.5% (24th) 5-5-0 Lost 1
Red Wings 13 6 6 1 13 35 35 19.1% (14th) 80.5% (19th) 5-4-1 Lost 2

Game preview

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-11816-vs-DET/45/80507

Projected lineups

FLYERS

24 Matt Read - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
11 Travis Konecny - 14 Sean Couturier - 92 Jakub Voracek
12 Michael Raffl - 10 Brayden Schenn - 22 Dale Weise
76 Chris VandeVelde - 76 P-E Bellemare - 13 Roman Lyubimov

15 Michael Del Zotto - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas
9 Ivan Provorov - 32 Mark Streit

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Nick Schultz (healthy),Nick Cousins (healthy), Andrew MacDonald (lower body), Boyd Gordon (LTIR, upper body), Scott Laughton (could be activated from LTIR).

RED WINGS

71 Dylan Larkin - 51 Frans Nielsen - 59 Tyler Bertuzzi
21 Tomas Tatar - 40 Henrik Zetterberg - 8 Justin Abdelkader
72 Andreas Athanasiou - 43 Darren Helm - 14 Gustav Nyquist
15 Riley Sheahan - 41 Luke Glendening - 29 Steve Ott

65 Danny DeKeyser - 55 Niklas Kronwall
52 Jonathan Ericsson - 25 Mike Green
2 Brendan Smith - 53 Alexey Marchenko

35 Jimmy Howard / 34 Petr Mrazek

Scratches: Ryan Sproul (healthy), Drew Miller (healthy), Xavier Ouellet (healthy), Thomas Vanek (LTIR, lower body), Tomas Jurco (back), Joe Vitale (LTIR, concussion), Johan Franzén (LTIR, post-concussion syndrome).

Yes.  Hoping we don't need to see Neuvy tonight.  And not because he hasn't been playing well (although a win is a win, he hasn't) but more because I'm hoping Mason is more lights out than he has been.   

Well than either has been.

8 minutes ago, intheslot said:

This team needs to play some shut down hockey.

Agreed. But I'm not sure they know how to do that. I haven't watched very many of their games, but from what I've seen there's lots of panic in their game, especially in their own end. 

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

there's lots of panic in their game, especially in their own end. 

started again tonight already - 3 bad TOs in front of Mason, 1 of them turns into a goal. In the O zone and on the PP the Flyers have poise and focus but defensively they're nowhere.

Just now, Howie58 said:

Mase was OK....not great but at least competent.  His teammates didn't look too impressive in the SO.  

Disagree on Mason.  I thought the first goal was soft and he went down way too soon on the second.  He probably could have stayed up because Andreas Alphabetsoup skated too far in and took away his own angle.  Once Mason went down the whole top of the net was open.

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Alaska:

I have to agree on the first goal; second was a great shot to the corner.  "Competent" from a Flyers goalie these days is almost golden given the crud we've seen to date.  

In any event, 2 goals is far better than 5 and Mason was sharp other times.  He looked better than he has.  Improvement is all I'm asking.  

• brelic changed the title to Game #14 - Red Wings (3) at Flyers (2) - Nov 8, 2016 @ 7:00 ET

Anyone wish the flyers would grab a guy like Athanasiou?  I know nothing about him but I can see that he has a ton of skill and speed.  I heard blashill hasn't been thrilled with him so far this season, but I would still like a threat like that on the third line and in the shootout.  He could replace read, Laughton, raffel, cousins, weise, or vandevelde.  Do any of those guys offer more than him?

42 minutes ago, icehole said:

Anyone wish the flyers would grab a guy like Athanasiou?  I know nothing about him but I can see that he has a ton of skill and speed.  I heard blashill hasn't been thrilled with him so far this season, but I would still like a threat like that on the third line and in the shootout.  He could replace read, Laughton, raffel, cousins, weise, or vandevelde.  Do any of those guys offer more than him?

We did much better by snatching Gostisbehere in the same draft. 

1 hour ago, icehole said:

I love his game, from what I've seen. But players like this don't usually get moved unless a team is giving up on him, in which case I don't necessarily want him. It's tough to break into that DET system. Gotta pay your dues.

@brelic @podein25

I'm not saying he should have been taken over ghost or they should try to trade for him.  I just can't remember a player that the flyers ever drafted late that has straight up raw skill and speed.

He's a third liner that was drafted 110 overall so he must have some weakness in his game.  He probably wont show up consistently either. I just like having a threat like that with little invested.  If Detroit had read, Raff, Laughton, cousins, weise, or Vandevelde on their third line, they probably lose that game in regulation or maybe in the shootout.

@icehole

the wings have a system though, they value certain skill sets more heavily than some other teams and their track record has been pretty good with it over the years.  They really value creativity with the puck, hand eye coordination and speed.

The figure they can mold the player into the other role but if they are all ++ with the puck that's a win in the bottom 6.

Sometimes they run into trouble by taking guys with high skill but weak motors, but for the most part if a guy winds up with the winged wheel on his sweater he will have a lot of skill.

1 hour ago, icehole said:

@brelic @podein25

I'm not saying he should have been taken over ghost or they should try to trade for him.  I just can't remember a player that the flyers ever drafted late that has straight up raw skill and speed.

He's a third liner that was drafted 110 overall so he must have some weakness in his game.  He probably wont show up consistently either. I just like having a threat like that with little invested.  If Detroit had read, Raff, Laughton, cousins, weise, or Vandevelde on their third line, they probably lose that game in regulation or maybe in the shootout.

I just named one. In the same draft. 3rd rounder. :)

@mojo1917

I think we can agree that the redwings system is a pretty good system, so shouldn't we take some pointers from them?  They have had history with guys that might not have all the heart that you want to see, but they even that out with the zetterbergs, Datsyuks, and lindstroms.  Seems like they might be running out of those types of players though.

The flyers have some level headed guys on the team.  I don't think it would be so bad to add a hot-head if he has great speed and skill.

Archived