Schenn as 2C.... again.

brelic

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20161201_Flyers_move_Schenn_to_second-line_center.html

Maybe this will work, maybe this won't. Who knows with Hakstol's incessant line juggling. 

One thing's for sure, though. Couturier is not a 2C. He has 8pts in 20 games, and does not really make the players around him better. He doesn't lead and control the play - it was usually Jake and TK controlling the play on that line. And for 19-year old TK to show way more in 20 career games than Couturier has in 370 says a lot. Coots is great at what he does, and a defense-focused 3C role suits him well. 

Not that Schenn is much better. He doesn't really control the play or make those around him better, so he is probably also miscast as a 2C. Probably miscast as a C period. 

Cousins didn't show much - he had flashes, but still very green and probably playing above his skill level. 

What to do? 

To me, Schenn is a top 6 winger, yet Hak seems to be putting everywhere but there. And Raffl is NOT a top line winger. 

Still a lot of questions about this team and the various pieces. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, brelic said:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20161201_Flyers_move_Schenn_to_second-line_center.html

Maybe this will work, maybe this won't. Who knows with Hakstol's incessant line juggling. 

One thing's for sure, though. Couturier is not a 2C. He has 8pts in 20 games, and does not really make the players around him better. He doesn't lead and control the play - it was usually Jake and TK controlling the play on that line. And for 19-year old TK to show way more in 20 career games than Couturier has in 370 says a lot. Coots is great at what he does, and a defense-focused 3C role suits him well. 

Not that Schenn is much better. He doesn't really control the play or make those around him better, so he is probably also miscast as a 2C. Probably miscast as a C period. 

Cousins didn't show much - he had flashes, but still very green and probably playing above his skill level. 

What to do? 

To me, Schenn is a top 6 winger, yet Hak seems to be putting everywhere but there. And Raffl is NOT a top line winger. 

You know who would look great between Konecny and Voracek? A shooter like Carter. I know we got Voracek for Carter

I really don't understand it.  There are already a glut of Centers and I thought he (Schenn) finally adjusted to life on the wing last season and had made the jump.  The one thing Hak did do last year is give Schenn a role and let him stay there for awhile.  Now he is reverting to the ways of Berube who is moving him all over the place.  Guys like a Read or Raffl that is fine.  But a player like Schenn should have a defined role.  

41 minutes ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

I really don't understand it.  There are already a glut of Centers and I thought he (Schenn) finally adjusted to life on the wing last season and had made the jump.  The one thing Hak did do last year is give Schenn a role and let him stay there for awhile.  Now he is reverting to the ways of Berube who is moving him all over the place.  Guys like a Read or Raffl that is fine.  But a player like Schenn should have a defined role.  

agree but maybe Hak is trying to spark Schenn.  Let's be honest Schenn has not been good this season.  Not good at all...

5 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

agree but maybe Hak is trying to spark Schenn.  Let's be honest Schenn has not been good this season.  Not good at all...

Well, to be fair, I think the only forwards who have been really good are Voracek, Simmonds, and TK. Giroux and Schenn have good point totals, but are getting the majority on the PP. The bottom 6 have gone back to what they were last year despite the changes.

Just now, AJgoal said:

Well, to be fair, I think the only forwards who have been really good are Voracek, Simmonds, and TK. Giroux and Schenn have good point totals, but are getting the majority on the PP. The bottom 6 have gone back to what they were last year despite the changes.

I dont think I am being unfair... Schenn needs to be better.   Was hoping he continued his play of last year but he has not been very good for the Flyers.   Same for G...

His goals are way down from last season (but his assists are way up?). At the same time, he's played on every line, I think. He's been bounced between wing and center. Yet he's still fourth on the team in points overall and pacing for a similar point total to last season even with his decreased goal scoring. I tend to notice Schenn in a good way on just about every shift in the offensive zone. But he's supposed to be scoring goals, and he's not. That's the big problem with his game right now IMO.

The biggest thing hurting him is that his shots aren't going in. His shooting percentage is down significantly over his career average - first time it's ever been in single digits, and 3.5 points lower than his previous low. If he hits his career average, he's looking at a 20 goal, 60 point season - similar overall point total to last year, though goals are still down. If he scores consistent with last year (career high shooting %), his goal total would be in line with last year. Obviously it's not that simple, I can't tell you why his shot percentage is down (It's kind of similar to Read last year and the year before, actually). The obvious answer is that he's taking more perimeter shots, but I can't say that's seemed to be the case when I've watched. He's not shooting more, either (almost exactly on last year's per game average), so it's not a case of volume driving the percentage down.

The good news is that though you'd like to see steady improvement, or at least consistency year to year which you aren't getting from him this year, shooting percentage tends to revert to the mean over a player's career. So even if Schenn's goal total is down significantly this year, it should rebound next year. But unless he starts taking significantly more shots, he's unlikely to go above 25-27 goals on a regular basis.

Of course, that means that while Simmonds is on pace for 38 this season, he probably won't come close to that next, because his shooting percentage is running 5 points higher than his career average...

And Chris Vandevelde's shooting percentage is unsustainably high.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You know who would look great between Konecny and Voracek? A shooter like Carter. I know we got Voracek for Carter

Carter was a coke head who cared about more about partying than playing hockey. That trade out of Philly saved his career. I was never a fan of his, but who knows what would have happened to him if Philly held onto him

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not to change the subject but it looks like Clod got engaged....

Via ryannehaileyb/instagram

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/claude-giroux-engaged-girlfriend-fiance/

Ok nice job. Now i hope he can now finally score his 2nd 5 on 5 goal of the season...fingers crossed....

****...his career is over now!

I think schenn at 2c is the best thing for now.  Cousins goes to 3C.  When couturier comes back, he goes to 3C, cousins goes to 2C and schenn, goes back to wing.

Schenn hasn't played well but he doesn't get much of a leash either.  As soon as he doesn't play well, he's in the bottom 6.  Meanwhile, raffle gets 1st line time and certain guys never get scratched.  Couturier hasn't moved off the second line in 20 games even though he hasn't done squat.

20 minutes ago, peter puck said:

Put the "good" Schenn wherever you want in the lineup. This team is still needs a bonafide first line left winger. 

Please define "Bona fide first line left wing."

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not to change the subject but it looks like Clod got engaged....

Via ryannehaileyb/instagram

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/claude-giroux-engaged-girlfriend-fiance/

Ok nice job. Now i hope he can now finally score his 2nd 5 on 5 goal of the season...fingers crossed....

That loud scream you heard was gay policemen everywhere, knowing their shot is gone....

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Please define "Bona fide first line left wing."

I don't know about anyone else, but for me...that is someone who can cycle the puck, be in the right place at the right time to receive and give passes (ie vision), someone who can pick a corner in his sleep and hopefully, create offense without leaning on others to do it for him.  Part of that is having elite speed that can create natural mismatches and make it almost impossible to cover them fully. Putting LW and RW aside, I just described Travis K, B.Schenn....not so much.

Schenn needs to recreate himself on offense, although I think that train has left the station. He is what he is. That one timer never became a lethal weapon. He is just not elite at that skill. When he does hit the net, seems like nobody can tip them. I have said it before, players who do not have elite speed should NEVER go in the top 10 of a draft, and those that pick them get what they deserve. Sure Dave Anderechuck sp, had a very nice career, but that was a different era.

I believe Schenn is a classic tweener. Not enough speed or creativity for the top 6, not enough grit or tenacity for the bottom six. Any 1st or 2nd line he is on will be weighed down by his lack of creativity, his lack of vision. Just my take.

5 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Carter was a coke head who cared about more about partying than playing hockey. That trade out of Philly saved his career. I was never a fan of his, but who knows what would have happened to him if Philly held onto him

This is so wrong, I don't even know where to begin. I used to work with Jeff's mom in London and Jeff used to be around work all the time that I can tell with certainty he certainly wasn't a coke head. I've worked with coke heads in the IT industry and knowing how they behave and act, Carter wasn't a coke head. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a pot head, but definitely not coke. I feel for the guy because he was a 24 year old making nearly six million bucks a year and loved to screw chicks and drink beer. He also kept himself in ridiculous shape and wasn't like Richards, who showed up to camp numerous times not in shape (it followed him to Los Angeles as well). He was moved because Flyers management knew if they moved Richards, Carter would be upset and wouldn't want to be around.

8 hours ago, brelic said:

What to do? 

That's why I'm hoping that when draft time rolls around, they get a shot at drafting Michael Rasmussen from Tri Cities in the WHL. He'll fill that goal scoring center role. Big like Couturier, but a much, much, much better skater. That allows Coots to be moved back to the 3rd line and really let him be the second coming of Keith Primeau.

21 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

This is so wrong, I don't even know where to begin. I used to work with Jeff's mom in London and Jeff used to be around work all the time that I can tell with certainty he certainly wasn't a coke head. I've worked with coke heads in the IT industry and knowing how they behave and act, Carter wasn't a coke head. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a pot head, but definitely not coke. I feel for the guy because he was a 24 year old making nearly six million bucks a year and loved to screw chicks and drink beer. He also kept himself in ridiculous shape and wasn't like Richards, who showed up to camp numerous times not in shape (it followed him to Los Angeles as well). He was moved because Flyers management knew if they moved Richards, Carter would be upset and wouldn't want to be around.

Yeah, I always figured Carter's weaknesses were mainly broads, booze and frosted tips

32 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's why I'm hoping that when draft time rolls around, they get a shot at drafting Michael Rasmussen from Tri Cities in the WHL. He'll fill that goal scoring center role. Big like Couturier, but a much, much, much better skater. That allows Coots to be moved back to the 3rd line and really let him be the second coming of Keith Primeau.

I thought that is why we drafted Rubtsov?

Archived