Sestito - Can we just get these bums out of the NHL?

hf101

I'm not sure what was the point of the Sestito call up last night, but he's probably looking at a suspension that hospitalized Toby Enstrom of the Jets for possible facial fractures.  

Sestito has to let up there. Enstrom turns towards the boards at the last second which doesn't help but in today's NHL (which I agree with) that's on Sestito to not make that hit.

Well I'm not here to justify Sestito's hit.  That is just a dangerous hockey play and he needs to be aware that the player he's lining up may change directions and let up when he turns his back to the boards prior to the hit.  It is on the onus of the hitter to control that situation.

HF, as for you comment on why the Pens would call up Sestito, Its a sad state that a team feels the need to do this. The Pens don't carry a Thorburn on their team on a night to night basis. With all the talk of retribution for the Wheeler hit, they brought him up probably just for this game.  

Remember, in that last game, Byfuglin also rattled Shultz's brain(missed several games due to concussion) with a hit right in the numbers after he had to change direction for the hit because Shultz pulled up. Funny, I didn't see a tread, call for suspension or even a penalty for that. So it must have been okay for Buff to come in with his hands up into Shultz's back and drive him into the boards so that his head bounces off the glass because he has no protection.  Just a hockey play. 

And Lowry took out Maatta out with a late hit when he didn't have the puck, but that was probably just an accident.  Oh yeah, he's still out and may miss the rest of the regular season. 

In general the Jet's ran anyone they could that game, whether they possessed the puck or not, and I guess they were all legal because there were no penalties. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

So the Jet's talked about revenge for a hit that caused Wheller to miss zero shifts in a game where the Pens lost two of their top 4 defenders for several games on questionable hits.  So they expected more of the same and called up Sestito. 

Was I glad the Pens brought up Sestito? No.  And I hope to never see him again. 

i'm glad he's not on the Flyers anymore, otherwise this thread wouldn't be about Tom Sestisto: it would be about what a terrible thug-run organization the Flyers and city of Philadelphia are and the pundits would rant about it for the next 60 years, or however long it's been since people threw snowballs at that ratty-ass Santa Claus at an Eagles game.

but i didn't like Sestito when he was a Flyer either.

4 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Well I'm not here to justify Sestito's hit.  That is just a dangerous hockey play and he needs to be aware that the player he's lining up may change directions and let up when he turns his back to the boards prior to the hit.  It is on the onus of the hitter to control that situation.

HF, as for you comment on why the Pens would call up Sestito, Its a sad state that a team feels the need to do this. The Pens don't carry a Thorburn on their team on a night to night basis. With all the talk of retribution for the Wheeler hit, they brought him up probably just for this game.  

Remember, in that last game, Byfuglin also rattled Shultz's brain(missed several games due to concussion) with a hit right in the numbers after he had to change direction for the hit because Shultz pulled up. Funny, I didn't see a tread, call for suspension or even a penalty for that. So it must have been okay for Buff to come in with his hands up into Shultz's back and drive him into the boards so that his head bounces off the glass because he has no protection.  Just a hockey play. 

And Lowry took out Maatta out with a late hit when he didn't have the puck, but that was probably just an accident.  Oh yeah, he's still out and may miss the rest of the regular season. 

In general the Jet's ran anyone they could that game, whether they possessed the puck or not, and I guess they were all legal because there were no penalties. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

So the Jet's talked about revenge for a hit that caused Wheller to miss zero shifts in a game where the Pens lost two of their top 4 defenders for several games on questionable hits.  So they expected more of the same and called up Sestito. 

Was I glad the Pens brought up Sestito? No.  And I hope to never see him again. 

The difference between Byfuglien and Sestito though are Buff can actually play hockey quite well...though he does play dirty the odd time (like, say, Malkin for example).

Sestito on the other hand is brought up for one reason only...what he did last night. He had a 2 second shift before taking his first 5 minute penalty...finished the game with 62 seconds of icetime, zero shots and 20 pims. 

59 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The difference between Byfuglien and Sestito though are Buff can actually play hockey quite well...though he does play dirty the odd time (like, say, Malkin for example).

Sestito on the other hand is brought up for one reason only...what he did last night. He had a 2 second shift before taking his first 5 minute penalty...finished the game with 62 seconds of icetime, zero shots and 20 pims. 

And what is the difference between Byfuglien and Malkin?  Because I didn't see immediate threads about Byfuglien's hit pop up on Hockey Sites on the internet, or calls for him to be suspended.  That's what tires us Pens fans. It actually happens both ways, REALLY. But we're told that we're either whiners for complaining about our soft team can't take hits, or that we can't complain because we had name dirty Penguin in this space    on our team years ago which is just karma for what they did.  Man we have a lot of bad karma built up:VeryCool:

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I think we all agree why Sestito was called up (see: prior Jets/Pens games). I hate that part of the NHL...the old "let the players police themselves" mantra. But it still goes on though a lot less than it used to.

Sestito did his job when he fought Thorburn...I guess for retribution for the hits on Maatta and Schultz last time the teams played. Malkin dropped them with Wheeler to settle their score (no one mentioned his Gordie Howe hat trick!).  I don't think the Pens called up Sestito to run Enstrom but that's a risk you take when you use a guy like Sestito to settle scores. 

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

i'm glad he's not on the Flyers anymore, otherwise this thread wouldn't be about Tom Sestisto: it would be about what a terrible thug-run organization the Flyers and city of Philadelphia are and the pundits would rant about it for the next 60 years, or however long it's been since people threw snowballs at that ratty-ass Santa Claus at an Eagles game.

but i didn't like Sestito when he was a Flyer either.

You guys threw snowballs at Santa? WTF man? That ain't cool. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

I don't care if it makes me a rube, I thoroughly enjoyed the game and Sestito was a big part of it. I love grudge matches. It is Hockey damnit, not baseball. Give me a good old fashioned game where two teams do not like each other and it gets ugly any day of the week.

3 hours ago, nossagog said:

I agree. Sestito needs to be suspended.  Enstrom doesn't help himself out but pulling up and turning his back 3 feet from the boards.  I do think there was time for Sestito to pull up a bit.  Not a justification for the hit just pointing out, in my opinion, players still need to be mindful of their body position. 

2 hours ago, nossagog said:

And what is the difference between Byfuglien and Malkin?  Because I didn't see immediate threads about Byfuglien's hit pop up on Hockey Sites on the internet, or calls for him to be suspended.  That's what tires us Pens fans. It actually happens both ways, REALLY. But we're told that we're either whiners for complaining about our soft team can't take hits, or that we can't complain because we had name dirty Penguin in this space    on our team years ago which is just karma for what they did.  Man we have a lot of bad karma built up:VeryCool:

Byfuglien and Malkin can both play hockey. Both can play dirty. 

Byfuglien plays on the Jets...we don't have many Jets fans on here for one, and they aren't quite good enough for rivals to hate them for two. 

Malkin and the Pens on the other hand...

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Byfuglien and Malkin can both play hockey. Both can play dirty. 

Byfuglien plays on the Jets...we don't have many Jets fans on here for one, and they aren't quite good enough for rivals to hate them for two. 

Malkin and the Pens on the other hand...

Ahhhhhh, now I get it. 

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Shifting the balance of power in the East, Sestito has been suspended four games.

It always works out for the Pens...now Sestitio will be fresh and well rested for the playoffs!  :hehe:

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It always works out for the Pens...now Sestitio will be fresh and well rested for the playoffs!  :hehe:

We are f'd now for sure... :bonkingheadonwall:

4 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Could this be the end of the line for Sestito?

Sadly, no.  He was brought up to add muscle for the return game with the Jets.   He made a stupid play in the game and will pay the price of that.  But if they have to deal with what they feel is going to be an overly physical game, he'll be here again. 

My belief in the purity of hockey died a little in saying that. 

Archived