Bernier or Elliot

jkgrossman

Bernier or Elliot??  

29 members have voted

1. 1. "IF" the choice came down for the Flyers to sign either Brian Elliot or Jonathan Bernier, whom do you prefer the Flyers sign?

• Brian Elliot
    • Jonathan Bernier

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted Bernier, only because I think the Blues and Flames were so good defensively, they hid a lot of Elliot's deficiencies, but he has never played enough games to make me think he can be a good #1 next season. I think Bernier has a little more upside, and I mean a LITTLE.

Is there a third choice?

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Is there a third choice?

MILLER  MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER

:VeryCool:

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

NOOOOOOOO...he can go save BUFFALLOOOOOOOOOOO.

I guess Bernier.  Nah, Elliot.  Well maybe, ....Bernier.  I dunno, Elliot?... hmmm.  Bernier is younger -- ok Bernier.  

Maybe neither want to play here.

Agreed that I am not real happy with either Bernier or Elliott. Kincaid resigned with NJ.  Pickins are slim. I really, really wish they'd have found some Finnish prospect from Turku  and offered next to nothing to come over.  I'd prefer upside surprise than the kind of mid career offerings where it could go downhill quickly....shades of Jeff Hackett wtih vertigo. The salary hit won't be bad. I just don't like the two. 

To be honest, I don't care. Just as long as the contract this UFA goalie signs is short-term. We could have Carey Price in net for us right now and it won't make a difference.

you know what is funny ...a couple of years ago, there were many on this board who were all for trying to acquire Bernier.  Its amazing what has happened in a few short years .....

I produce some quotes from members here a few years ago....their identities remain hidden to protect the innocent :)

I really like Coots but if you are moving him straight up for Bernier, I would make that deal. 2 reasons, 1) Another goalie on the roster GAURANDAMNTEES!! that Bryz is GONE!! Cooter is going to be a really good player in the NHL but so is Bernier. 2) Bernier knows he is going to a team that he has an honest chance to be a number one goalie so I think he will not want to break the bank and I am fairly confident in Laughton's brief stint with the Flyers that he will be able to fill the role that Cooter plays here. I honestly think it would be a good move for both teams along the lines of the JVR/Schenn trade. Both teams benefit and the players too. I am not willing to pile draft picks or more than Cooter for this but we all know that you have to give to get.

Couturier is a solid player. He is young and has the potential to be a solid center. Bernier is a solid player. He is young and has the potential to be a solid #1 goalie.

Coots for Bernier straight up? No way no how! We need something coming back or that deal isn't happening. Coots has too much promise and skill be to be traded away. I would like a trade for Bernier but not at that price. If that's what LA is asking nobody will buy and then you just sign him to an offer sheet and give up a 2nd rounder.

Bernier is going to be a stud.

I will drive Couturier to California and pick up Bernier and drive him back.

Yes, I have seen him play quite a few times. Not too long ago the Kings front office actually had him (Bernier) rated ahead of Quick. (Obviously winning the Cup changed that.)

imo, bernier is more likely to develop (quickly) into a worldbeater than mason is likely to keep his head on straight through adversity and regain his rookie form permanently. bernier is worth a high price.

Bernier reminds me of Bob, super quick, good solid positioning and outstanding athleticism

Just my thoughts, but I'm still concerned about Bernier being bombarded by Lavi's run and gun style. Our d is just not as mobile or smart as the crew Bernier is leaving. That makes the risk a bit higher from a Flyers persective, but should not preclude them from entering the fray. All the scouts who have been drooling over this kid for years can't be wrong.

Bernier is worth more than Schenn or Couturier. It's just easier to find top six forwards than elite goalies. IF Bernier lives up to expectations, he will be an extremely valuable asset. If Schenn or Couturier become all stars.

If the asking price is Couturier, I'd counter with Laughton or Cousins, LAs choice. If Bernier really is supposed to be "the" goalie, I guess I'd be okay with overpaying a little. If Couturier is a requirement though, LA better throw something useful in. Couturier for Bernier straight up seems really high.

Latest rumors on twitter say that the Flyers are now the favorite to land Bernier and Couts is not included in he offer. Looks to be Read and a pick likely.

Sounds reasonable. I can't imagine LA fielding offers a whole lot better than that for a back up goalie that they have to trade in two weeks.

Getting Bernier would be good for the Flyers, it would be nice to get him this year so he could play and then they could buyout Bryzgalov this coming summer. That way they'd have a young goalie to go with the young group of players going forward

Didn't Elliot almost single-handedly destroy Calgary's playoffs this year ?

That's the guy right ? 

He of the Leightonesque...Mason on a bad "feels day" soul crushing soft goal ?

this is the guy we're "leaning" towards ?

yay.

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Didn't Elliot almost single-handedly destroy Calgary's playoffs this year ?

That's the guy right ? 

He of the Leightonesque...Mason on a bad "feels day" soul crushing soft goal ?

this is the guy we're "leaning" towards ?

yay.

That is the guy!   I know this is not official but Elliot really kind of puts a damper on the success of the draft.   I am sorry but Hextall misplayed this entire goalie situation.   I much rather have Mason at 4+M for 2 years than what Elliot is getting for 3 in the reported deal.  Elliot is not that good and he was absolutely horrendous in the playoffs for Calgary.   

In my opinion this team went from a bubble team (again) this year to being out of the playoffs.   Neuvy WILL get hurt at some point and even if he remains healthy there is not a lot to like after last season.   Then we have Elliot who is simply not that good of a goalie...  bet hey, I guess he is a "veteran."

@murraycraven

I have been a fan of Neuvirth since his days in Hershey. I am hoping his spotty play last year was not a data point on the trend line but an outlier. 

The knock on Neuvy has always been his fragility, not his ability. If he's able to play he's pretty decent, however, he is not reliable.  

So, as an optimist, I am hoping that Neuvirth is the 1a and has a nice year and Elliot fills in capably when the inevitable knee/groin/hip injury occurs. 

...it could happen.

Just now, mojo1917 said:

@murraycraven

I have been a fan of Neuvirth since his days in Hershey. I am hoping his spotty play last year was not a data point on the trend line but an outlier. 

The knock on Neuvy has always been his fragility, not his ability. If he's able to play he's pretty decent, however, he is not reliable.  

So, as an optimist, I am hoping that Neuvirth is the 1a and has a nice year and Elliot fills in capably when the inevitable knee/groin/hip injury occurs. 

...it could happen.

agree on all counts mojo...

being a realist I expect Neuvy's leg or arm to fall off at some point during a game.   the guy just can't manage to stay healthy which is a big concern.  I am not going to sweat the goalie situation until and official announcement is made.   One thing with Hextall is that he keeps things on the down low.   For all we know it could be someone other than Elliot.   

If it is Elliot than I really hope Neuvy steps up and plays healthy.   I never question his talent, but again, he is as fragile as an egg.

Archived