Flyers interested in Markov?

brelic

From Eklund's site, but the source is TSN.

Markov and...Philly?
Andrei Markov is talking contract with one team right now. The Philadelphia Flyers. 
Source: Tony Marinaro, TSN690

If that's true, that might be an indication that Hextall is not sold on two rookies on defense, and this could be insurance. Actually, it's not just insurance.... if they sign Markov, they are definitely not having more than one rookie defenseman.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

If that's true, that might be an indication that Hextall is not sold on two rookies on defense, and this could be insurance. Actually, it's not just insurance.... if they sign Markov, they are definitely not having more than one rookie defenseman.

right there you have it .... Eklund....enough said.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

But it's not Eklund. The original source is TSN.

yup ...my bad ..I realized it after I hit enter .... sorry Brelic

EDIT ... regardless ... no reason for Markov to be here IMO...

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

yup ...my bad ..I realized it after I hit enter .... sorry Brelic

EDIT ... regardless ... no reason for Markov to be here IMO...

I agree, no reason for Markov... unless Hextall doesn't trust two rooks, right?

Or, and this would be a dream come true.... Hextall has a taker for MacDud :)

17 minutes ago, brelic said:

They have too many prospects if they're only going to play one at a time.  Someone deserving won't come up until they're 37 years old.

I wrote--aggressively--in the Weal thread that this makes zero sense.  If it actually happened, I have no idea what Hextall is doing.  Even if it's short term I'd be ticked like I was the day Holmgren signed VLC--it's that stupid.   

14 minutes ago, brelic said:

But it's not Eklund. The original source is TSN.

So, there you have it:  it's crap.

Look, TSN is not what it used to be.  It's Maple Leaf soap opera and very little else.

9 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

one could only hope! :) 

3vcy3d.jpg

The biggest hope we have of losing McDud is if we can get him to start walking in front of terrorist driven cabs.........too soon?

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And just WTF is Tony Marinaro anyway???

Never even heard of him.....the sauce king or something.

I thought it was the name of a hoagie. Today's lunch special a Tony Marinaro, chips and a drink $7.99

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok now i guess see Tony MArinaro is a Montreal radio host.......surely an't take his word.... 

Well, the original rumor came from a Montreal radio host, not sure why we view one as less connected than another?

I read a Meltzer's article (can.t get it from work), and he was saying it would only work if the Flyers got rid of Mcdud and Read to make the room for Markov's $$ demands.

He was saying the he would be paired with Provorov; and the he would essentially be an upgrade to Mcdud and Manning. But he also said that it was not a necessity for the Flyers to sign him...

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And just WTF is Tony Marinaro anyway???

Never even heard of him.....the sauce king or something.

That's a great question!   Never heard of him, either.

21 hours ago, ruxpin said:

They have too many prospects if they're only going to play one at a time.  Someone deserving won't come up until they're 37 years old.

I wrote--aggressively--in the Weal thread that this makes zero sense.  If it actually happened, I have no idea what Hextall is doing.  Even if it's short term I'd be ticked like I was the day Holmgren signed VLC--it's that stupid.   

Exactly......signing Markov would be a full 360 degree turn in relation to all if Hexy's other moves. You don't bring in a Justin Williams type to block a kid like Lindblom, Weal, Patrick etc, etc.....the same applies for defense. The VERY LAST thing Hexy should be doing is bringing in a older veteran dman for a multiple year deal...makes no sense AT ALL!!

First off, whoever is writing these reports must not watch hockey, cause Markov is most certainly injury prone. He goes out once every couple months now. The story I read on Broad Street made him sound like a damn ironman....LOL!!

Secondly, if the kid coming up is Sanhiem or Myers, they will automatically skate better than Markov, and probably match his pts totals once you add in the inevitable litany of Markovian of injuries. 

Gotta agree rux, signing Markov would take me right back to Homer and his "shiny new toy" theories....AND I would be pissed beyond words!! 

22 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The perfect (yet *almost* realistic) version of the Flyers acquiring Markov. 

A)Montreal signs Markov for an hour, enough time to trade him to the Flyers. A one year deal for 5 million. 

B) Montreal sends Markov and a 4th to Philly for McDonald, Abe Kubel and a 3rd round pick. 

In this scenario, Montreal, realizing they are super thin on defense, make a move for the much younger and slightly better skating McDonald. They shed the injury prone Markov, get younger and have a stay at home defensemen to add to their stable. They also get a French Canadian who has the potential to score (important piece of the puzzle...LOL) and a favourable switch of draft picks. McDonald is paired with either Weber or Petry, both right hand shots and everyone lives happily ever after!!  

The Habs add a veteran d man, save a half million dollars of cap which they use to help resign Galanychuk. 

9 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The perfect (yet *almost* realistic) version of the Flyers acquiring Markov. 

A)Montreal signs Markov for an hour, enough time to trade him to the Flyers. A one year deal for 5 million. 

B) Montreal sends Markov and a 4th to Philly for McDonald, Abe Kubel and a 3rd round pick. 

In this scenario, Montreal, realizing they are super thin on defense, make a move for the much younger and slightly better skating McDonald. They shed the injury prone Markov, get younger and have a stay at home defensemen to add to their stable. They also get a French Canadian who has the potential to score (important piece of the puzzle...LOL) and a favourable switch of draft picks. McDonald is paired with either Weber or Petry, both right hand shots and everyone lives happily ever after!!  

The Habs add a veteran d man, save a half million dollars of cap which they use to help resign Galanychuk. 

McDonald, a prospect, and a 3rd for Markov and a lesser pick? 

I just vomited in my mouth. 

Sorry, but I don't value Markov as high as many here seem to.  Plus, I think the sad reality is that someone on the Flyers - - I haven't figured out whether it's Hextall or Hakstol or both - - seems to value McDonald more than he's worth. 

I don't see this happening but I wouldn't want it to. The mechanics do sound a bit more realistic than anything else I've heard, but to me that sounds like overpayment.  

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

McDonald, a prospect, and a 3rd for Markov and a lesser pick? 

I just vomited in my mouth. 

Sorry, but I don't value Markov as high as many here seem to.  Plus, I think the sad reality is that someone on the Flyers - - I haven't figured out whether it's Hextall or Hakstol or both - - seems to value McDonald more than he's worth. 

I don't see this happening but I wouldn't want it to. The mechanics do sound a bit more realistic than anything else I've heard, but to me that sounds like overpayment.  

This potential deal would basically have the same moving parts as the Leherta deal with the Blues. Markov basically becomes a means to an end. The end being getting out from under another 3 years of McDonald messing up our blueline. To get Montreal to take this deal, a favourable pick swap, a young Frenchie forward would probably be the minimum amount of sweetening the pot needed to pull off this sucker. One painful year of Markov and then 2 spots open up on defense, allowing more youngsters to graduate to the NHL. 

On 7/4/2017 at 7:43 AM, brelic said:

Supposedly Markov really wants to come to Philly but the Flyers aren't interested.  

I think it's fair to say that they probably ARE interested, but there's literally no way to fit him in on the roster OR under the cap unless they can jettison MacDonald.

And this makes this the first time in a while I'm ticked at MacDonald again.  Markov is exactly what the Flyers need. a guy who can play defense responsibly and set a good example to all the youth.   They just don't have room for him... specifically because of MacDonald.

If hextall could figure out a way to rid himself of that meddlesom Mac, I'd be all for this signing.  As it is, that just ain't gonna happen and it's a bummer.  

Archived