Players who you do not like

yave1964

I figured I would start a little bit different topic, give everyone a place to talk about players who they do not like. I am not talking about Crosby if you are a Flyer fan or Claude Freaking Lemieux as a Wings fan, not the obvious neccesarilly but just who do you dislike, either current or retired. 

MY STARTING LINEUP:

RYAN CLOWE Image result for ryan clowe bitching I once saw him score a goal and chirp the ref for something that happened earlier in the play. He always wore a scowl and took every opportunity to whine to officials that he could. I simply could not stand watching him play.

KYLE TURRIS He whined his way out of Arizona and fought with Gretzky over how much he thought he was worth back when he was scoring 20 points a year, then he just more or less did the same in Ottawa forcing a trade to Nashville. Self centered little punk.

DERICK BRASSARD More or less the same argument as the one against Turris, while in Columbus he and Hitchcock simply hated each other, he was a healthy scratch for not playing defense and through his agent demanded a trade and kept telling the press that he was refusing to talk to them anymore. Never liked him since then.

JIMMY VESEY it is one thing to not sign your ELC so that you can become an UFA and go after more money/term it is another to be an ass about it like Vesey was. His game has lots of holes and I gleefully root against him.

MARC STAAL For the life of me I have never understood why this man gets his name in print, I have a friend who is a Ranger fan who loves him says that Staal and Girardi are the thinking mans players, that anyone can love the 70 point a year guys but it takes a subtle appreciation of the game to get guys like Staal and Girardi. I give him Girardi but Staal IMHO has always ridden his brothers coattails and playing in New York has developed an unearned rep. A completely useless worthless player.

JONATHAN ERICSSON I was not going to list any Wings but Ericsson had to make my list. 10 years on the blueline, huge and slow, has a hard shot but no idea where the puck is going, career high is 3 goals and 15 points. Blows assignments constantly and for someone as big as he is does a poor job of moving guys out of in front of the net. Just an awful player, I cringe when he is on the ice.

MIKE SMITH I saved my goalie for last, he is WAAAYYYYYY up on my list, he has played for some really lousy teams who give up 40 shots a night regularly, his go to move when the other team is buzzing drives me nuts, regularly when the other team is firing a ton of shots his way he waits for either the puck or an opponent to touch him and he falls to the ice and flops like a fish  to draw a whistle or his helmet comes off or pops up again to draw the whistle. I have never in my life witnessed any other goalie who flops like he does to stop play in his own end, and you cannot call a delay of game penalty because he does really get hurt a fair amount as well so if you can a penalty and he is really hurt you might get yourself in trouble. The biggest flopper in the game today or in my recent memory at any position. I know Brodeur had a well deserved rep for doing this but NOBODY beats Smith at flailing helplessly on the ice in faux pain and agony to slow the game down.

So that is my list, players who I either cannot stand or root against or both, Smith is probably my least favorite now and Clowe high on the list of retirees which is why I put him here. Anyone else?

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, Bluezz said:

Marchand, Drew Doughty, Dan Carrillo, ovechkin.   I fell they play dirty which are the guys I don't like. Many other forsure but just off top of my head

Good grouping. Welcome to the forum!

My list in no particular order....just naming them as each of my gears grind.... :biggrin:

1--Pittsburgh's Ryan Reaves.

Bully. Pure n simple. I understand his role is an enforcer (such as they are nowadays), but seems to me, this jerk ACTIVELY goes around trying to start stuff with guys whom he KNOWS aren't the fighting type or who are relative newcomers to the league.

Sure, he DOES fight big boys too, but usually only after said big boy goes and finds HIM.

Most of Reaves' shifts go something like this.... "Get out on the ice, identify an actual hockey player, hit him...if he doesn't have the puck, hit him or otherwise make physical contact just not be obvious about it to the refs....talk crap to that same player or one of his other actual hockey player linemates.....go look around for a rookie or second year player, try to destroy his confidence on the ice too, try to bait him into fight....hope the other team's big man doesn't come looking for him......DOH.....here he comes, Ok..guess I gotta fight him now...wish I didn't have to......"

Finding and playing the puck is a COMPLETE afterthought to this knuckledragger.... Jerk. :bigteeth:

2--Boston's Brad Marchand.

I will be the first to admit, the guy CAN play hockey. If only he had always played hockey right from the beginning instead of delving into the over the top BS he is known for on the ice (cheap shots, unnecessary chirping, acting all indignant when another player wants to separate his head from his body when he KNOWS he deserves it), his career numbers might be right up there with the elite in NHL history.

Well, these days he seems to be playing more NHL hockey rather than Rat hockey (probably because Lucic isn't there anymore to cover his rodent ass and Zdeno probably set him aside and told him he is getting too old to have to rescue him all the time), but every once in a while, he does revert to his scum bag ways.

3--Edmonton's Milan Lucic

This goes back to his Boston days and what I talked about with Marchand. The little ratface would do something cowardly, and Lucic would always be there to protect him. Disgusting.

On top of that, Lucic kinda falls into the realm of "bully" as well....although, UNLIKE Reaves, Lucic doesn't seem to care who he goes after, or who comes looking for him.

But there are times when I swear this guy thinks he is the baddest man on the planet, and goes out on hockey shifts simply to prove that.

I understand the guy OFF the ice is not as abrasive......good for him on that at least.  Otherwise, I could see this jerk after retiring from hockey trying his hand at MMA or something (because you know, he IS the baddest man on the planet), then promptly having his head handed to him..............   hmmm, I actually said that like that would be a BAD thing.... :lipsaresealed:

4--Anaheim's Corey Perry.

Fantastic hockey player, intimidating power forward, can and will do anything he needs to do to get his team a goal.

But Jesus H. Christ what a %$#@ing whiner when it comes to other players even breathing his way!!

Perry is an intense guy on the ice. He plays hockey, he can score, he hits, and understands lots of the psychology on the ice. But when the tables are turned and the opposition gives him a taste of his own medicine (a hard fought net front garbage goal, a booming hit, or sneaky drawing of a penalty on him), he IMMEDIATELY seeks out a ref to piss, moan, whine, and complain about something that was wrong with the other guy's play.

I guess he DOESN'T think ganders deserve the same thing as geese......   oh, and those CONSTANT little cross checks, swats, shoves to the ice, and trying to hold down players so they can't outskate him (all done behind a refs back) don't win him any points with me either.

I understand LOTS of players do that sort of stuff, but he makes it part of his regular repertoire, then fish eyes all around to make sure he wasn't caught.

5--NY Rangers' Kevin Shattenkirk.

This is a relatively new one for me and I honestly didn't know I really didn't like him till this season. Why?

Not because he is a goon, a ratface or a constant complainer....but because I think he is vastly over $#@^ing rated. 

Seriously.

He is a good enough hockey player and defenseman....but everyone seems to make such a big damned deal about this guy, and I can't see why.

If he was so good, why couldn't teams like Colorado, St. Louis, and Washington build around this guy? Did they really even WANT to? Probably not at the price ShatTheBed thinks he is worth.

And when the Rangers this year started out poorly, he himself didn't do a whole lot to help the situation there...and now that the Rangers have things going in the right direction (due to LOTS of factors), I keep hearing his name being bandied about as one of the guys 'rescuing' the Rangers season.

WTH???

ShatTheBed is doing now in NY what he has always done with other teams...... he is a good enough player, NOT elite in my opinion, but also piggybacking on the hard work of his team as a whole, but because his name seems to be better known, he seems to "rise to the occasion".

I'd take Ryan McDonagh or Brady Skjei as defensemen on the Rangers before I'd take this overhyped mantle piece.....

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Micheal Ferland: 

Image result for michael ferland

The guy's a cheapshot artist and annoying pest. 

But he lays off the Sedin brothers because they're 

his mom's favorite players and she told him to. 

Consistency, man! 

Adam Graves: 

Image result for fight adam graves

For breaking Lemieux's hand in the playoffs! Infamy! 

A dirty way to try to win. But the Rangers still lost. Glorious!

I confess, without blushing or sheepishness, 

that I'm loving imagining Luongo landing a clean one 

right on Graves' mug. 

@Bluezz : 

that's a good call about Ovechkin -- 

nullnullImage result for ovechkin

[anyone feeling uncomfortable there? 

Sydney, Alex, 

wanna share anything with the group?]  

-- he'll go out of his way to lay hits on players even if 

it takes him way out of position for his team. 

Kris Letang. He constantly tries to turn Hockey into soccer with his flamboyant diving.

Evander Kane. Cheapens the game by his on and off ice activities.

All time most hated would go to the ultimate cheap shot artists Tie Domi and Darius Kasparitus. At least Domi would occasionally fight so he finishes behind the only guy in Hockey who turned "turtling" into an Olympic sport.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Thread  Bump5.gif.af37011cb7c71f8a564a82d427c50955.gif

I know this thread is from last season, but with the new one now in full swing, new members on board the site, I figured we could have some changes in opinion, NEW players to "hate" (or strongly 'dislike' for those who feel 'hate' is too strong a word) and hear from the some of the newer people as well on the subject.

I will throw in another name to my list posted from last year (and I still stand by that list BTW)...

Tom "Don't Wanna Learn" Wilson.

Do I REALLY need to get into why?

Guy is a skating disaster waiting to happen on just about any shift.  He really doesn't seem to care what his actions cost another player....or even his own team.

Can he play hockey? Absolutely. But just like Marchand, just seems to have a penchant for doing things the unsavory way.

I don't like to feel good about seeing players hurt, but imagine my surprise when I took a bit of delight in seeing someone (cant recall who) take a run at Wilson and have HIM down for the count.....

Yea, he is that obnoxious on the ice...

• Like 1

Agreed @TropicalFruitGirl26 Tom Wilson is pure punk and he doesn't need to be, he has hockey playing ability. 

Evgeni Malkin, he'll hit you with his elbows and late in the corner or with his gloves on, he's got tremendous ability but at times a .02$ brain.

Jimmy Vesey...good call @yave1964  hey I didn't see anyone say James Neal , he's still a dirty douche.

I like Doughty''s goon game for some reason, not sure why he's got some Duncan Keith dirty to his game...I guess I don't see him enough to really work up a good hate for him.

• Like 1

My 2018-19 starting lineup of players who for this season I just cannot stand

Goalie  As always Mike Smith. Biggest flopper in the game at any position, when the other team is applying too much pressure he feigns injury to get a whistle. No use whatsoever for him.

Defense pairing Dougie Hamilton mostly because I think after a certain age, somewhere around seven you should stop going by Dougie and go by Doug. His defense partner for this year I will go with Jacob Trouba because never before has someone expected to be paid so much while actually doing so little. 

My forwards are Getzlaf for whining about every call on the ice, Justin Williams for leading that ridiculous end to end glass smacking charge on the rare occasion when the Hurricanes win a game and Stay Puff Nylander who held out for two months and is a non factor so far r since his return. I call him stay puff because he may be the softest player in the game.

• Like 2

Evander Kane.   Douchebag extraordinaire

Steve Downie -- hated the dude.  Is he even still playing?

Zac Rinaldo -- Why?  Someone put a sociopath on skates.

Neuvirth -- He's just stealing at this point.

James Neal -- I don't like the way he plays the game.

Tom Wilson -- hold his beer, James Neal.  

That's it for now.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:
  • Alexei Yashin  (selfish, contract breaking whiner)
  • Evander Kane (punk)
  • Sean Avery  (punk)
  • Brett Hull (Canadian turncoat)
  • Gary Suter (cheap shot artist)

etc......  I'm sure there are lots more.  :) 

Phil Kessel! 

(How could I forget him?)  The whining, sulking star who wanted to be paid like a star but didn't want to actually play like one or be one.  :) 

2020 update;

Alex Killorn, he's like Malkin-lite or Diet Corey Perry.  He's a sneaky good player but also a sneaky douche. He's been a killer vs my favorite team so that doesn't help.  Whenever there's some douche-baggery going on after the whistle he's often "around".

Good call on Phil Kessel @WordsOfWisdom he's overrated by everyone but the Cinnabon vendor, wears out his welcome at an increased pace at each new stop. His sister is better than him. 

Mark Boroweiki - knuckle dragging poorman's Niklas Kronwall-annabe but without much hockey skill. He'll hit you late and with his elbows and he'll aim for your head. His redeeming quality is he will answer for his scummy behavior- but it is not enough. 

also  Kevin Shattenkirk and all New York Islanders except Matthew Barzal

• Like 1

My nominee is Ulf Samuelson.

I've told this story on this site before.  

It was a Rangers pre-season practice game the first season after Ulfie got traded to New York.

Shane Willis was a young kid trying to land a gig.  He made a play, and had his face to the glass.  Ulfie saw he was defenseless and ran him.  At full tilt, rammed his elbow into the kid's head and watched the teeth and blood spew onto the ice.   Cost Willis some nights in the hospital and a few years in his pursuit of a pro career.

There was no need for the cruelty.  Ulfie was guaranteed a job.  Willis was not a threat.  

It was just meanness.  

• Good Post 1

• 4 months later...