Sanheim sent to Phantoms, Alt recallled

AJgoal

4 hours ago, elmatus said:

None of those guys should be 7ths anyway. They're all more talented than that. It makes no sense to bring any of them up, just to have them play 3-4 mins a night. Keep them in the minors if that's going to be their plight. At least they'll get ice time there.

Exactly 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanheim playing down in the AHL will make him a better player, it should of been Morin and Haag, who made the team, but I don't mind Morin being played in the AHL some more to mature his game to be able to slip into the next level.

In the pros you have to learn: Speed, timing, accuracy, urgency, commitment, higher situational awareness, pacing, high level consistency and allot more....and then being able to put it all together and produce - defensively and offensively.

That's a tall order and some young players haven't been focusing on all those things or have committed to growing their game more. They still have to learn some of these building blocks. That's why development camp is so crucial for these prospects to take it all in.

I don't feel Sanheim was fully ready and needed to touch on a few more of those skill sets. When he's playing at a high level in all those aspects then he's ready for a call up.

He has to get at least a solid B in those categories so that he can work on his ceiling when he's called up to play in the NHL. Why would you want to short change yourself just to finish your build sooner.

We have to make our PICKS COUNT! That means development as part of the process.

If Sanheim wants to stunt his growth in the AHL and he doesn't improve, then you bring your boiled egg up and see if he can make it without cracking.

It's allot harder to develop your game as a youngster in the AHL. You have to have a special commitment. Like we see in Provorov..(He gets it!) and it seems like Konecny is on that same path. Ghost was doing it. Haag (The meteorite)decided to step up his game in the minors and focus for a year. Laughton took notes and put in the work.

Morin still could use some more note taking as well as Sanheim.

Respect the craft, put in more time and practice with purpose, not just go through the motion.

I was for Coots to stay and develop his game more in the minors. But they brought him up a little too early, but Coots is one of those special players (Mental toughness) that didn't give up on himself and neither did I. He had to hurdle through allot of obstacles 

to get to where he is at. Not any NHL player can do what he's done in such a gap of suspended years of not putting him in, in an offensively minded role.

I see Sanheim as such a player as well. As much as Hexy preaches patience, I think the romanticizing of having all those rookies in pre season took the better hold of the organization and fans. Hexy's word still hold true.

"We look at how they play in the preseason and get caught up in the moment of time of watching a flash in the pan. And these are only a handful of games against non top players and a shortened time window that doesn't expose the rigors of a season and the true competition of world class players on stage on a nightly basis.".....Legion of Doom  

On 1/29/2018 at 9:44 PM, LegionOfDoom said:

Sanheim playing down in the AHL will make him a better player, it should of been Morin and Haag, who made the team, but I don't mind Morin being played in the AHL some more to mature his game to be able to slip into the next level.

In the pros you have to learn: Speed, timing, accuracy, urgency, commitment, higher situational awareness, pacing, high level consistency and allot more....and then being able to put it all together and produce - defensively and offensively.

That's a tall order and some young players haven't been focusing on all those things or have committed to growing their game more. They still have to learn some of these building blocks. That's why development camp is so crucial for these prospects to take it all in.

I don't feel Sanheim was fully ready and needed to touch on a few more of those skill sets. When he's playing at a high level in all those aspects then he's ready for a call up.

He has to get at least a solid B in those categories so that he can work on his ceiling when he's called up to play in the NHL. Why would you want to short change yourself just to finish your build sooner.

We have to make our PICKS COUNT! That means development as part of the process.

If Sanheim wants to stunt his growth in the AHL and he doesn't improve, then you bring your boiled egg up and see if he can make it without cracking.

It's allot harder to develop your game as a youngster in the AHL. You have to have a special commitment. Like we see in Provorov..(He gets it!) and it seems like Konecny is on that same path. Ghost was doing it. Haag (The meteorite)decided to step up his game in the minors and focus for a year. Laughton took notes and put in the work.

Morin still could use some more note taking as well as Sanheim.

Respect the craft, put in more time and practice with purpose, not just go through the motion.

I was for Coots to stay and develop his game more in the minors. But they brought him up a little too early, but Coots is one of those special players (Mental toughness) that didn't give up on himself and neither did I. He had to hurdle through allot of obstacles 

to get to where he is at. Not any NHL player can do what he's done in such a gap of suspended years of not putting him in, in an offensively minded role.

I see Sanheim as such a player as well. As much as Hexy preaches patience, I think the romanticizing of having all those rookies in pre season took the better hold of the organization and fans. Hexy's word still hold true.

"We look at how they play in the preseason and get caught up in the moment of time of watching a flash in the pan. And these are only a handful of games against non top players and a shortened time window that doesn't expose the rigors of a season and the true competition of world class players on stage on a nightly basis.".....Legion of Doom  

In the case of Coots, one advantage that he did receive (along with Schenn) was a half season in the AHL due to the lock out in his second year. They both scored quite well there from what I recall.  

I for one was never worried about him. His biggest problem is that he was excellent at the defensive role right out of the gate as a kid, and the team needed him for that desperately.  It was literally like 5 years that he was coached NOT to go to the net to stay in position defensively.  He was never going to be a smooth skating pure skill puck handling guy like Gudreau or someone.  The contract the team gave him told me then that they knew what they had in him and that he was stuck more or less because of their usage.

Morin's injury is depressing the hell out of me. You're absolutely right.  He should have been up.  I get why he put in Sanheim from a pairings standpoint, but he should have been platooning the two of them with Manning in the press box for the first portion of the season until Hextall made him make a choice.    Morin could be SO much for this team.  I'm really not sure anyone quite grasps how good this kid could be in the NHL.  Not saying he's a Pronger, but he could be the closest thing to a Pronger we're likely to see in O&B for a long time.  

I understand Hagg's understated calming style of play being a little more polished than Morin's out of preseason, but in terms of potential upside, there's really no comparison.  Hagg is pretty good now and could get a bit better.  Morin's almost pretty good now and could be fantastic.  I think they really blew it back in October and then he blew it by not taking care of/disclosing his injury properly after that.  Had he been healthy when Gudas got himself suspended, I'm not sure what the pairings would even look like now.  I'm fairly certain Manning wouldn't be out there though.

Sanheim going back doesn't bother me at the end of the day.

Long story short, Manning could be deadline dealt to a team desperate for D if he's playing and probably couldn't if he wasn't.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that he makes the team better than Sanheim (Not that I think you were doing that... just that it's implied by Sanheim being benched and then sent down).  I don't think he does.  He may be marginally "safer" in some situations and wasn't caught so glaringly out of position in some breakdown situations the way Sanheim was... but those are just the things that look most bad about Sanheim.  The fact of the matter is that Manning makes mistakes on the other side of the red zone that cost the Flyers opportunities and often result in pressure going the other way.    Essentially as I see it, Sanheim makes mistakes in his own zone that lead to goals against and Manning makes mistakes in both ends that lead to momentum shifts and playdriving shifts going against the Flyers.  It's debatable which is worse... but Sanheim being out of position occasionally as a rookie is something that's easier to fix than Manning just having poor puck sense and awareness.

On 1/23/2018 at 9:52 AM, murraycraven said:

about time Ronnie!!!

he needs to play... the kid is still super talented and I believe has the best upside outside of Prov.   Get some time in the A playing important minutes.

I genuinely think Hextall was desperately hoping Hak would start playing him again.

42 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Morin's injury is depressing the hell out of me. You're absolutely right.  He should have been up.  I get why he put in Sanheim from a pairings standpoint, but he should have been platooning the two of them with Manning in the press box for the first portion of the season until Hextall made him make a choice.    Morin could be SO much for this team.  I'm really not sure anyone quite grasps how good this kid could be in the NHL.  Not saying he's a Pronger, but he could be the closest thing to a Pronger we're likely to see in O&B for a long time.  

Morin isn't close to Pronger.

Pronger put up about the same amount of points in ONE season of junior as Morin put up his entire 4 year career there. If you want to say  they're both big and physical, ok. But Pronger had a whole other dimension to his game that Morin just doesn't possess.

Then again, he doesn't have to to be effective for the Flyers.

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Morin isn't close to Pronger.

Pronger put up about the same amount of points in ONE season of junior as Morin put up his entire 4 year career there. If you want to say  they're both big and physical, ok. But Pronger had a whole other dimension to his game that Morin just doesn't possess.

Then again, he doesn't have to to be effective for the Flyers.

When I saw the closest thing to Pronger it's kind of like saying Hextall was the closest thing we had to Bernie.  They didn't play anything alike and Hextall wasn't as good. 

But insomuch as a sizable defense man who can shift the momentum on the ice with his play driving as well as his own end play, Morin has superior potential to anyone the Flyers have had in a long time.  

He's not going to score like Pronger... but he has the potential ability to slant the ice in the other direction the way Pronger did.  Despite his size, and his ability to play with a chip on his shoulder, Morin has a long way to go to be the physically imposing presence Pronger was-but that's more likely for him to achieve than Pronger's scoring touch.

What I'm talking about is the overall momentum and direction of play advantage and potentially the sheer real estate he'll take up on the PK.  

They need this guy playing in the NHL sooner rather than later. 

On 1/22/2018 at 9:50 AM, King Knut said:

Depending how how desperate or banged up the team is, I think Hextall could probably get a 2nd.  

It would help if Manning could put in a few more points with all this power play time... but  either way, it's a no brainer of a deal if a half decent offer comes.  They can make this team whether they look like they're headed to the playoffs or not which is not something they can risk with a Simmonds.

TO picked up 2 2nds for Polak 2 years ago from S.J so anything is possible, TO did throw in Spaling in the trade and took $s back. Removing Spaling opened up a center position which Nylander filled, it was win, win for TO.

16 hours ago, hobie said:

TO picked up 2 2nds for Polak 2 years ago from S.J so anything is possible, TO did throw in Spaling in the trade and took $s back. Removing Spaling opened up a center position which Nylander filled, it was win, win for TO.

It depends on who needs what.  He got a first for Coburn but only a second for Timmo... but probably because no one really knew if Timmo was going to be able to play more than 5 minutes and also because the Blackhawks didn't intend to play him for than 5 minutes anyway.  

Long story short, Manning has been god awful these past two games and it's hurting the team.  Sick goalies and a mediocre minor leaguer getting his shot not withstanding, I'm about ready to say goodbye to Manning forever. 

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

It depends on who needs what.  He got a first for Coburn but only a second for Timmo... but probably because no one really knew if Timmo was going to be able to play more than 5 minutes and also because the Blackhawks didn't intend to play him for than 5 minutes anyway.  

It was also a conditional pick.

It was a second because the Blackhawks won the Cup

I don't think anyone will confuse Manning with Timonen.

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

It was also a conditional pick.

It was a second because the Blackhawks won the Cup

I don't think anyone will confuse Manning with Timonen.

Well no. Timonen had the name (track record). 

But at the time Timonen was traded, he wasn't better than Manning. 

I don't think that necessarily changes the validity of your point, though. 

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Well no. Timonen had the name (track record). 

But at the time Timonen was traded, he wasn't better than Manning. 

I don't think that necessarily changes the validity of your point, though. 

I'm just saying the "got a #2 for Timonen" is accurate but overstated.

He got a 4th for Timonen and the Blackhawks made it a 2nd.

And Manning has none of the pedigree or the intangibles of Timonen at this point in his career.

I'd take a 3rd for Manning in a heartbeat.

On 1/22/2018 at 8:13 AM, elmatus said:

I don't think a 3rd is so crazy. Manning is a reasonable third pairing or 7th dman in the league. The majority of 3rd round picks never make it to the NHL. It's not unreasonable to trade a 3rd for a known quantity, if that quantity is something you feel you need. Every team needs third pairing guys. Manning isn't the worst such option around really.

Not only that, but defensemen are at their peak (in terms of trade value) at the deadline. You can never have enough of them going into the playoffs, and somebody is usually willing to overpay.

8 hours ago, radoran said:

And Manning has none of the pedigree or the intangibles of Timonen at this point in his career.

Yep, agree with all that.  

Just kind of had to point out how badly we ripped off Chicago. 

8 hours ago, radoran said:

The Flyers got two 2nds for Timonen. Originally a 2nd and a 4th, turned into another 2nd

3 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

The Flyers got two 2nds for Timonen. Originally a 2nd and a 4th, turned into another 2nd

Good point - forgot that. And they flipped the first one for the pick that got Konecny.

Manning still ain't Timonen :D

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Good point - forgot that. And they flipped the first one for the pick that got Konecny.

Manning still ain't Timonen :D

We will be lucky to get a 4th rounder for Manning. Why would there be any interest in him anyways? 

23 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

We will be lucky to get a 4th rounder for Manning. Why would there be any interest in him anyways? 

13 hours ago, radoran said:

Yeah, I think 4th rounder is about right.   3rd in a heartbeat, because...

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Not only that, but defensemen are at their peak (in terms of trade value) at the deadline. You can never have enough of them going into the playoffs, and somebody is usually willing to overpay.

Honestly, I have a hard time believing Hextall would be shopping Manning at the deadline and I don't think anything more than 3rd is realistic...and even 3rd is unlikely.  He's a UFA so it's possible, but I could see them giving him a very small raise and resigning him.  He'd still be reasonably cheap.  I'm not advocating for him.  He's "meh" at best.   Maybe they just let him walk.  I don't know.  But I'd be stunned if he gets anything higher than the 4th rounder.

If we're in a playoff spot maybe not, but otherwise it's much more likely that Filppula goes at the deadline.   I don't expect much else unless someone wants to give up something for Neuvy.

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I thought they still had 4 recalls?

Lindblom was sent down in order to be eligible for the AHL playoffs and then recalled after the trade deadline, so that counted.

Archived