Mrazek traded to the Flyers

FD19372

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Jam1986 said:

Is it true that  the Flyers will have six goalies sign for next year? 

Well there's Elliot, Neuvirth and Hart currently signed. Tokarski is a UFA, while Mrazek, Lyon and Stolarz are pending RFAs. I think we have to sign Sandstrom too or we lose his rights. I think we do sign him but will loan him back to the SEL for one more season.

12 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I think we have to sign Sandstrom too or we lose his rights.

They have 4 year they won't lose his rights it's the reason he is coming back for only one more season.

If he was playing and drafted out of the CHL they would of only had two years to sign him. So they have until 2019.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They have 4 year they won't lose his rights it's the reason he is coming back for only one more season.

If he was playing and drafted out of the CHL they would of only had two years to sign him. So they have until 2019.

Ok thanks for clarifying. I still think he stays in Europe for one more season 

There is some serious upside here......Petr *just* turned 26 on Valentines Day. 

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet,....as a 24 year old, he started 54 games for the Wings during the 2015-16 season. 

His stat line for that season....27 wins, 16 losses and 6 games went to OT. His Goals Against Avg was a very respectable 2.33 and his save percentage was .921. He also put up 4 shutouts that season. 

After posting those outstanding numbers, he felt the starting job was his to lose. The Wings org had different ideas. Howard was turning in some very solid performances, basically forcing a share the net scenario. Mrazek's ego was damaged and he began to sulk, becoming a distraction. There was also all types of rumors floating around that Petr actually hated Howard and the situation was toxic. That is why the Wings were eager to part ways with him and his poor attitude, leaving him unprotected in the Vegas expansion draft. The Wings tried for over a year to deal him, with no takers. Holland was forced to put up with him until the Flyers ran into goalie injuries. 

The rumor is he has not sulked for the last year or so, becoming a decent teammate even. The damage was already done and the Wings always planned to part ways with him, it was just a question of waiting until somebody was desperate. 

The guy has talent and upside and this change of scenery could be what the doctor ordered. The stat line for the 2016-17 season was poor, but to be fair, the Wings defense was putrid...he faced many second and third shot on the doorstep along with a ton of odd man rushes. The other big problem, the Wings transition game went from poor to non existant. He should really get a mulligan for that year, no goalie would have posted good numbers in that environment. 

I think he is considerably better than Elliott and he should make a perfect bridge to Hart and or Sandstrom. 

I think the Mrazek trade was one of smartest trades of the “deadline”.  Young talented player who should be on the upswing of his career, and no players or prospects given up. And reasonable picks.

When I look at other deals made today, this one seems like a steal.

2 hours ago, brelic said:

I think the Mrazek trade was one of smartest trades of the “deadline”.  Young talented player who should be on the upswing of his career, and no players or prospects given up. And reasonable picks.

When I look at other deals made today, this one seems like a steal.

Mrazek is Czech for "Mason" :cheers:

@jammer2

I'm kinda curious what Howard did in the situation.

It's easy to paint this as "soft malcontent Euro" but we don't know the whole situation (and I suspect many/most don't).

Howard has history in Detroit that had to be respected. But the Wings didn't do themselves many favors "respecting" history when it came to planning for the future (Pavel "I won my ultimate goal in a Gold Medal" Datsyuk says "hello").

Sometimes you gotta move on. If Mrazek turns into a 2.2X/.92x goaltender for the next 5-6 years the Wings lost out big sticking with Howard.

The fanbase and organization may think differently, but the Wings are - as yave has noted - in some trouble.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Mrazek looks very technically sound, he is standing up at the right time and not flopping around and his reflexes and lateral movement look real good. He could end up stealing both Elliot and Neuvys job.

Neuvirth's inability to stay healthy has killed him as an effective player. He should be buried in the AHL next season, possibly loaned to the ECHL.

It's unfortunate, but true

Archived