Mrazek traded to the Flyers

FD19372

Man i don't want to get to ahead of myself just got finished watching the game from last night and i have to say man this guy is impressive...

giphy.gif

...it's all i thought this team needed, a guy to make the saves he should make and every now and then erase some of the mistake the team in front of him make, trying to push the puck to the other end of the ice into the net.

And he has and then he has made some 10 bell saves....color me impressed so far.

giphy.gif

However the pressure is about to go up with just 19 games left in the season and with that the level of competition is going to go up exponentially.....we are about to test this team and see where they really are at. 

giphy.gif

Keep it going. Canes are on deck....

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Offer him $3m per for 2 years 

Obviously a lot will have to do with his play down the stretch. That said, Mrazek seems unlikely to offer any sort of hometown discount. Barring some sort of collapse, I expect he'll be asking for his $4 million.

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

Obviously a lot will have to do with his play down the stretch. That said, Mrazek seems unlikely to offer any sort of hometown discount. Barring some sort of collapse, I expect he'll be asking for his $4 million.

He continues to play like he has i would be ok giving him something like 4-5 mill for 3 years.

Maybe a 4th year...i would have to think about that a little more.

Unless he catches fire and propels this team deep into the playoffs (say 3 rounds) and is the MVP of each series to which he would need to be rewarded, I'd be nervous on anything more than 2 years.   He didn't like playing 2nd fiddle to Howard, I'm not sure he'll want to do the same with Hart, Sandstrom, Stolarz....    If he wants a minimum of 3 years and will take less in salary I guess 3 years would be okay as you could buy him out if he becomes a problem in the lock room once Hart takes over the #1

57 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Unless he catches fire and propels this team deep into the playoffs (say 3 rounds) and is the MVP of each series to which he would need to be rewarded, I'd be nervous on anything more than 2 years.   He didn't like playing 2nd fiddle to Howard, I'm not sure he'll want to do the same with Hart, Sandstrom, Stolarz....    If he wants a minimum of 3 years and will take less in salary I guess 3 years would be okay as you could buy him out if he becomes a problem in the lock room once Hart takes over the #1

Don’t forget that he’ll be 30 around that time, perhaps with a different mindset, especially if he’s had the chance to be the starter for 2-3 years. 

But Hart has to prove himself at the NHL level. I don’t think Hextall will treat him any differently. Prove yourself in LHV, then do enough good things to stick in Philly, and your time will come if you earn it.

I mean, if he catches fire as you say, and takes us three rounds, and is the MVP in each series, isn’t that exactly what we’re hoping to find for the Flyers? Who cares if his name isn’t Hart. Mrazek is here now, and Hart may never be.

If Hart is that good and his play shows he deserves to be #1, I have no doubt Hextall will find a way to make that happen. Until then, he’s just a prospect.

We all want Hart to succeed, but a smart business person doesn’t operate on hope unless he plans to fail. 

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Don’t forget that he’ll be 30 around that time, perhaps with a different mindset, especially if he’s had the chance to be the starter for 2-3 years. 

But Hart has to prove himself at the NHL level. I don’t think Hextall will treat him any differently. Prove yourself in LHV, then do enough good things to stick in Philly, and your time will come if you earn it.

I mean, if he catches fire as you say, and takes us three rounds, and is the MVP in each series, isn’t that exactly what we’re hoping to find for the Flyers? Who cares if his name isn’t Hart. Mrazek is here now, and Hart may never be.

If Hart is that good and his play shows he deserves to be #1, I have no doubt Hextall will find a way to make that happen. Until then, he’s just a prospect.

We all want Hart to succeed, but a smart business person doesn’t operate on hope unless he plans to fail. 

Absolutely right.  If Mrazek is that goalie, you are right.  Ride him.    Make Hart take it from him. 

One thing that sticks out to me is Mrazek's puck handling skills. Most of the time he totally diffuses the dump in chances with solid puck play from behind the net. It has been a while since we have seen that skill here. It is also nice to see him stop a lot of the odd man rushes that you see in the back of the net too often when Elliot is on the ice. Bill Clement made a remark about his communication skills such as not letting the Flyers on the ice know the PP was coming to an end and a poor pass ended up in his own net due to the guy coming out of the penalty box. I feel confident that he will be a little more diligent with his communication after that.  There is nothing wrong with him logging some ice time before the Flyers need to throw money at him. It will be okay with me if they pay a little more later rather than paying someone to not play for the next 15 freakin' years.........

9 hours ago, flyerrod said:

One thing that sticks out to me is Mrazek's puck handling skills. Most of the time he totally diffuses the dump in chances with solid puck play from behind the net. It has been a while since we have seen that skill here. It is also nice to see him stop a lot of the odd man rushes that you see in the back of the net too often when Elliot is on the ice. Bill Clement made a remark about his communication skills such as not letting the Flyers on the ice know the PP was coming to an end and a poor pass ended up in his own net due to the guy coming out of the penalty box. I feel confident that he will be a little more diligent with his communication after that.  There is nothing wrong with him logging some ice time before the Flyers need to throw money at him. It will be okay with me if they pay a little more later rather than paying someone to not play for the next 15 freakin' years.........

2gO3XUH.gif

20 hours ago, flyerrod said:

Bill Clement made a remark about his communication skills such as not letting the Flyers on the ice know the PP was coming to an end and a poor pass ended up in his own net due to the guy coming out of the penalty box. I feel confident that he will be a little more diligent with his communication after that.  

The nice thing is that Mrazek admitted he made a mistake, got caught not paying attention to the clock and it burned them. 

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

While I'll admit it looks cool, not sure how I feel about him advertising how long its been since they won a cup:mellow:

1 hour ago, Pucked in the head said:

And there ain't no bully in their game anymore either! I don't think they should have put Bernie on there either, it's not like it's going to help him channel his inner "Bernie" !!!!!! The rest of the mask is ok though

really ? we're critiquing the content of a goalie mask now ?

sami: i don't know if pucks will stop because of 1975. 

pucked: yeah, they're not tough anymore either.

you both should stop at " it looks cool".

good grief.

58 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

really ? we're critiquing the content of a goalie mask now ?

Yeah i am.

I like it.

He is paying homage i think nothing wrong with that.

I hope he can regain his form from his first 3 Flyer games or it won't matter what kind of helmet he has.

• 3 weeks later...

This POS has been here over a month. Do you think the Flyers goalie coach has tried working with him at all? I swear to god, I have never seen a goalie overplay so many plays and get out of position so easily. Once out of position, he doesn’t break any speed records trying to get back into proper position.

:rage:

7 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

He doesn't break a friggin sweat either!!! Schitty effort at best... Send her packing....

He is just all over the place all out his crease and doesn't have the skill to recover. Hasek use to flop around a lot but you saw him do it in the crease so he was still blocking part of the net and even more of it once he got back up.

This guy once he gets back up has too skate two full strides just to get back in net.

He leaves the crease like it's someone else's job to stop the puck!

Get him dafuq outta there!

Get well Neuvy!

On 2/19/2018 at 10:10 PM, FD19372 said:

Acording to TSN, Petr Mrazek traded to the Flyers from the Detroit Red Wings for conditional 4th round pick in the 2018 NHL entry draft and a conditional pick in the 2019 NHL entry draft.

I remember when this made me happy.

Mrazek is absolutely terrible at position, overcommitting and getting himself back into postion after overcommitting. 

Dude literally could have had a shut out last night if he could get his butt back into his net and be even slightly aware of where the puck was. 

One of the guys on BSH radio is fond of saying that if they had a merely average goaltending last year, they'd have been in the playoffs.  I contend that if they had merely average goaltending this year (or a merely average penalty kill for that matter) they'd be competing and probably easily winning the division.

This is a pretty good hockey team with a very bad goalie problem right now.

I know Carter Hart is potentially just another year or two away, and that's great... but in the mean time, it's KILLING me to see this team come so close to being competitive and having it ruined by the fact that they can't seem to ice an NHL caliber goalie.  

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He is just all over the place all out his crease and doesn't have the skill to recover. Hasek use to flop around a lot but you saw him do it in the crease so he was still blocking part of the net and even more of it once he got back up.

This guy once he gets back up has too skate two full strides just to get back in net.

He leaves the crease like it's someone else's job to stop the puck!

Get him dafuq outta there!

Get well Neuvy!

It's not even JUST that he doesn't have the skill to recover.  IT's like it doesn't even occur to him.

I won't even talk about the OT winner against pittsburgh, where he had a better shot at an Olympic medal with that triple sow cow than making a save, but the 2nd goal last night?  WTF?  He's about 2 yards out of his net, sees the Stars skating behind his net... pauses... then starts to slide back, then stops, goes back to his knee again, then tries to slide over in time and meanwhile they're already announcing who scored the goal by the time he gets there.  WHO IS THIS GUY??!?!?

He's ruining his career in the process of all this.  Who the hell is going to sign this idiot?

Tell me he has a neurological condition and I'll feel bad, but either way, he shouldn't be on the ice.  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I know Carter Hart is potentially just another year or two away, and that's great... but in the mean time, it's KILLING me to see this team come so close to being competitive and having it ruined by the fact that they can't seem to ice an NHL caliber goalie. 

So, this is where things might not be what they seem. 

I agree that all of our goaltenders are mediocre, at best. 

But, how much of it is on the goaltenders and how much of it is on our defensive game / systems in place?

Elliott is 2.72, .908 with Philly. But with StL, over 181 games, he put up a 2.01, .925. With every other team he's played on (Ott, Cgy, Col), he's put up numbers worse or on par with his Philly numbers.

Neuvirth has put up numbers similar to his time in Washington.... And Mason had great seasons and poor seasons here.

So, I don't know.. I think the Flyers are definitely lacking in goaltending, but at the same time, it is not goaltending in isolation that is bad. We are not a great defensive club. 

I don't know how much of that is personnel, inexperience, systems, coaching, etc. There's a lot of puzzle pieces missing.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

I agree that all of our goaltenders are mediocre, at best. 

But, how much of it is on the goaltenders and how much of it is on our defensive game / systems in place?

Except for Mzarek.  He is simply horrible.  Just horrible.  

Lyons is a mediocre tweener getting exposed for what he is.   Elliott did about what should have been expected.  With a better, more consistent defense in place (including backchecking forwards, etc) his play should have sufficed.   Neuvirth is good for about 20 minutes until he gets hurt.  His problem isn't ability to play; it's the ability to stay healthy.  Always has been and I expect it always will be.  If he could stay healthy, we're back to defense.  I think if healthy, he'd be sufficient provided the consistent defense thing.

So, outside of Mzarek (who, it's worth repeating, is simply horrible), it's health and defense.

Archived