Eastern Conference: Round 1 - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #3 Philadelphia Flyers

pilldoc

Eastern Conference: Round 1 - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #3 Philadelphia Flyers  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Pens Sweep 4-0
    • Pens in 5
    • Pens in 6
    • Pens in 7
    • Flyers Sweep 4-0
    • Flyers in 5
    • Flyers in 6
    • Flyers in 7

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you Philly fans should be getting ready to cheer on the 76ers.  That is a team with a real shot.  I mean, Golden st is a mess right now with injuries.  Houston is the favorite in West.  Just getting to the finals would make this an incredible season.  But i do think they are a cinch to get to the Eastern finals.  The 76ers.  NOT the Flyers.

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I picked the Eagles lets not forget

Yeah over the Pats.

Your jinx by then had lost all it's magic.

You went with the Rams in the regular season....even after Wentz went down. WRONG!!!

Then you went with Rams over Atlanta! WRONG!!!

You went Bills over Jags! WRONG!!!!

You said Atlanta over Philly! WRONG!!!

And then you said Minny will destroy Philly! WRONG!!!

So finally since you hate the Pats you went with the Eagles.........your jinx was spent!!!

#nicetry

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

Flyers/Pens Bingo!

DaSTrT7WkAEAffG.jpg

Where's the squares for when,

Doc Emrick orgasms when the Penguins score?

Pierre reads everyone of Crosby's report card grades from 4th grade?

Pierre services Crosby between the benches?

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I think you Philly fans should be getting ready to cheer on the 76ers.  That is a team with a real shot.  I mean, Golden st is a mess right now with injuries.  Houston is the favorite in West.  Just getting to the finals would make this an incredible season.  But i do think they are a cinch to get to the Eastern finals.  The 76ers.  NOT the Flyers.

I'm ok with whatever happens now i think most of us here all thought they were a playoff borderline team.

And despite all the injuries especially in net they made it.

I'm proud of them for fighting through the up and downs of the season.

And it seemed there were more downs than ups.

They gave up wins to three different teams who had lost 8+ games before playing them 3 different times this year.

Once early in the season the Yotes had lost 10 in a row till the Flyers.

I think the Devils was one of the team who were winless in the 10 games and i forget the other team was the Wings IIRC and the Flyers played so poorly the other team snapped their losing streak.

And then even a 10 games winless streak the Flyers went through.

And then fro late in december till the end of february they had like the best record in the whole NHL. 

So there were many ups and downs and yet here they are playing the Pens.

So whatever happens happens. I wanted the kids to get a taste of the playoffs so they know how hard it is to win in the best/toughest playoffs  of any sport!!!!!!

And losing is a great motivator ask the Boston Bruins if the Flyers coming back on them down 3 games didn't motivate them to come back the following year and win the Cup!!!!

So losing can be used as a tool to get to winning!!! 

Go Flyers!!!!!!

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah over the Pats.

Your jinx by then had lost all it's magic.

You went with the Rams in the regular season....even after Wentz went down. WRONG!!!

Then you went with Rams over Atlanta! WRONG!!!

You went Bills over Jags! WRONG!!!!

You said Atlanta over Philly! WRONG!!!

And then you said Minny will destroy Philly! WRONG!!!

So finally since you hate the Pats you went with the Eagles.........your jinx was spent!!!

#nicetry

He locked in Dewey over Truman in 1948 and hasn't looked back since.

3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I'm a Philly fan....what the hell is a 76er?

Is Golden Street under construction?

Houston is in the south as far as I'm concerned. 

If we made the finals??? Damn right it would be an incredible season. 

No kidding....we likely don't make it past the Pens.

What the hell is a 76er?

Im seriously gonna print off that bingo card and see what happens! Too funny.... I think we all should, then upload photos of our cards after the series!...

I don't know?....Winner gets to start the game threads next year?.....:IDunnoSmiley:

IS IT WEDNESDAY YET!!!!??

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

Where's the squares for when,

Doc Emrick orgasms when the Penguins score?

Pierre reads everyone of Crosby's report card grades from 4th grade?

Pierre services Crosby between the benches?

I didn't see a square for "Hakstol stands on the bench and yells at Mike Sullivan" (hope no one needs that for bingo). 

48 minutes ago, B21 said:

I didn't see a square for "Hakstol stands on the bench and yells at Mike Sullivan" (hope no one needs that for bingo). 

Gotta wonder if he's the kind of guy who just bottles it all up. I'm waiting for a volcano moment myself.

Completely serious question: Hakstol vs Sullivan in the octagon -- Who do you pick? Someone get a poll going.

I like Flyers as they played at end of the season, but Pens with added Brassard I think it's long shot for Flyers, since goaltenders are really bad, yes they are all bad.  Two years at least for Flyers and good goalie. 

Also it can see Flyers possibility if Our Defense will stand on Head to protect goalie. Flyers has better defense it's for sure. Provorov is better defenseman than Lentag today. 

Pens in 6. 

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Gotta wonder if he's the kind of guy who just bottles it all up. I'm waiting for a volcano moment myself.

Completely serious question: Hakstol vs Sullivan in the octagon -- Who do you pick? Someone get a poll going.

Hakstol, easily. It's the ones that never show emotion that you need to look out for. It's why I expect John Hynes to be found with a dead ref in the trunk of his car someday.

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

Sullivan is 6'2 and 204 lbs. Hakstol was 6'1 and 201 in his playing days. Close. I'd roll with Sullivan. Hakstol just seems to...meh. Sullivan looks like he always wants to kill someone.

On 4/8/2018 at 10:56 AM, nossagog said:

Awesome series to start the playoffs for whomever moves forward.  Could give them the momentum to carry forward, or be too beat up to get past the second round opponent.

Both teams have had Goalie issues (though the Flyers won in the soap opera drama competition there) and The goalie situation has been the Flyers biggest weakness 5on5. 

Surprisigly, special teams have only been absurdly one sided in one head to head this year. Which is odd considering how good the Pens PP is and how bad the Flyers PK is. The Penguins however have a knack for getting PP’s at exactly the right moment in the playoffs (or in the last 2 mins), so I do not expect that to hold. 

I believe Hakstol has been playing Raffl on our first line to match up with Crosby’s line better.  

The second Flyers line can compete and shut down Malkin’s on aggregate, but not on one on one match ups. 

The third lines are a disaster for the Flyers.  The only bright spot is Kessel isn’t fast, but good lord Filppula is slower.  Flyers will likely be trying to match Laughton’s line against this one and hope Filppula, TK and Simmer can get something going against the Pens 4th. 

If the Flyers ever have Filppula’s line out with Manning and Gudas, they’re toast.  

All in all, underdog status notwithstanding, if the Flyers can steal one in Pittsburgh, things could get interesting.  Getting the matchups they want at home will help them a great deal.  

The season series looks one sided on paper, but minute by minute they were actually all close games. Two Pens wins were in OT and the other two saw quick flurries of penguins goals in the second over short stretches of time that capitalized on Flyers mental fragility.  They were all actually even games for like 50 minutes each. 

I think this this will be a more interesting series than most expect.  The wild cards to me include whether Elliott is remotely healthy and as I mentioned, that historically the penguins often find themselves on the PP exactly when they need to be in the playoffs.  

NHL.com panel predictions

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-playoffs-2018-predictions/c-297822968?tid=280204614

Pittsburgh is picked by all of them except one lone dude who picked the Flyers... but he also picked FIVE upsets in the first round lol.

I'd guess he's the guy that never gets invited to parties. 

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Sullivan is 6'2 and 204 lbs. Hakstol was 6'1 and 201 in his playing days. Close. I'd roll with Sullivan. Hakstol just seems to...meh. Sullivan looks like he always wants to kill someone.

Mom game if Sullivan can knock some sense into Hakstol. 

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm a Philly fan....what the hell is a 76er?

Is Golden Street under construction?

Houston is in the south as far as I'm concerned. 

If we made the finals??? Damn right it would be an incredible season. 

No kidding....we likely don't make it past the Pens.

What the hell is a 76er?

The name of the second best team in Philly at the moment and maybe soon the best

Archived