JVR back to Philly

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So now the biggest question do Simmer get traded now.....or at the deadline??

It's now or never. I love Simmonds and am ok if they keep him for the season. But if he's here come the start of the season, he's likely not moved at the deadline - at least that can't be your plan. You just can't risk the message that sends to a team that should take another step forward this season, and be firmly in the playoffs come late February. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

It's now or never

I would prefer it. It will give the team time to get over the move before the season starts.

He is a heart and soul guy he will be missed but it is time to get as much as you can for him and move on.

51 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

AND he's a great candidate to leave exposed during expansion as something shiny for Seattle to grab over one of the youngins on D.

If he doesn't have a NMC or NTC....hopefully he doesn't.

Capfriendly is showing his contract but i don't see any NMC or NTC clause.

Claude is the only one with a NMC. Simmer a modified NTC.

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

This should make for a warm welcome...

#winning

LOL ....  I would love to hear all the chirping on the ice... I bet it is is hysterical....

In other news ....so the prodigal son is indeed returning home .....

8 hours ago, darthbal said:

Just saw on twitter, someone mentioned these as possible lines for the FLyers next year...

Giroux-Couts-Konecny 

JVR-Patrick-Voracek 

Lindblom-XXXX-Simmonds 

Raffl-Laughton-Weal

Still missing a 3rd line C though. 
Wonder does Hexy go and sign someone else or does he bring up someone from the Phantoms?

It's probably going to be Bozak for the 3C.

26 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Deal is front-loaded. No NMC/NTC.

Makes it better...for one he can be lost to Seattle 🤞 and two,  can be dealt in year 4 or 5 to a team looking to hit cap floor.

I know I am on record saying we need a scoring  winger. But , Meh to this signing especially in light of Stasny making himself available. 

JvR doesn't kill penalties and he doesn't play center...unless one if the 1k centers in the system is magically ready.

6 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind the deal or the player at all. Would prefer 1 million or 1 year less, but considering Kane got 7x7 and the rising cap, not bad. 

He's a very good even strength scorer, 6th in the league at 5v5 goals/60 and 9th in goal total with 23 - while on the third line. And while he might not be a great defensive player, he led the Leafs in 5v5 goals for percentage and was 4th in CF%, so he plays on the right side of the ice most of the time - even though he spent most of the season away from the young guns. He's a top 6 LW, which gives the Flyers some options. They could conceivably shift Giroux back to center and sign a bottom 6 LW if the center market dries up, or even start Frost at 3LW if he looks ready, but not ready to center a line. 

He pushes depth down the lineup. You're almost assuredly looking at Weal, Laughton, Raffl, Lehtera, Weise on the 4th line or out of the lineup entirely. AND he's a great candidate to leave exposed during expansion as something shiny for Seattle to grab over one of the youngins on D.

ETA: He had the second most 5v5 goals on the team in the 3rd fewest minutes per game.

I am with you...   

Nowadays FA means you have to pay up.   The top 6 should be damn scary but Ron can't let this be the only deal.   He needs someone at 3c that can actually play and provide depth. 

I just appears that Hextall is full of **** when he talks.    He gave both money and a term for a good player.... Not a "great" player but he certainly will provide some scoring... 

It seems to make us "power-oriented."  I agree with Mojo, this is not a creativity-sniper add, but a consistent big body add. I am OK with it--just don't see it adding on other dimensions.  This isn't the last of Ron's moves.  

This is a little like our resigning of Boosh. We get a payback for early career mentoring. 

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Makes it better...for one he can be lost to Seattle 🤞 and two,  can be dealt in year 4 or 5 to a team looking to hit cap floor.

The Pigeon returns!!!!! Sounds like a movie title...

I am ok with it i guess.

They still have a good chunk of cap space...so they are not done or they plan on taking back a short contract once all the dust settles and teams need to make room...

Vorobyev or Laughton might be the 3rd line center...

Lindblom/Vorobyev/Simmer

...the 4th...

Laughton/Lehtera/Raffl??

I would be ok with a 4th of...

Goulbourne/Laughton/Raffl

So I have read through all the comments ..... so how does everyone really feel about this signing?  After all, didn't most of us on here crucify him when he was here the 1st time around and many were glad he was traded.  I don't know....I kind of mixed feeling about this.  Its like giving away a toy you didn't particularly like and then 2 or 3 years later you get the same toy back.  (Although in this case it is more like 5 years later)

Can we really expect him to produce here????

What should be our honest expectations of him this year???  Can we honestly look at him as a 30-20 =50 guy?  More? / Less?

Here is an article from Broad Street Hockey ...

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/6/29/17508200/2018-free-agency-making-a-case-for-james-van-riemsdyk-stats-analysis

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

So I have read through all the comments ..... so how does everyone really feel about this signing?  After all, didn't most of us on here crucify him when he was here the 1st time around and many were glad he was traded.  I don't know....I kind of mixed feeling about this.  Its like giving away a toy you didn't particularly like and then 2 or 3 years later you get the same toy back. 

What should be our honest expectations of him this year???  Can we honestly look at him as a 30-20 =50 guy?  More? / Less?

Here is an article from Broad Street Hockey ...

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/6/29/17508200/2018-free-agency-making-a-case-for-james-van-riemsdyk-stats-analysis

Meh...in a UFA class that had Tavares and then a bunch of fluff we got the fluffiest, The King of the Fluff!

He can produce goals, which the team needs. God knows we have enough setup men on the team and not enough finishers. I just hate the way he plays. I mean I like that he can score in close...he's got some of the best hands in the league for deflections and getting ahold of rebounds and burying them. He just does pretty much nothing else. Hopefully he'll be good for most of the contract....it's not like he should break down from all the punishment he's absorbed...he avoids it like the plague. 

To make a long story short, I guess he's better than nothing...but I'd have preferred a year less. As I already mentioned, hopefully Seattle wants some goals instead of some D. But I doubt it.

16 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Yes.He certainly has enough guys to pass him the damn puck...he can concentrate on just put it on net.

And well we all know he isn't a defensive forward and that he will have to show more effort there but he shouldn't have to worry about being scratched when he doesn't see Jake Voracek.

I think Patrick and Jake for that matter will love working on a line with him. 

So you have Konecny as the trigger man on the 1st line and JVR as the shooter on the 2nd. That is a very nice top 6.

Put giroux at wing on the second line and what does this give?

This may very well allow creation of a 1a and 1b line, which gives depth others are still looking for.

The Patrick  pick opened up a lot of possibilities. I am curious to see where this goes.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I mean I like that he can score in close...he's got some of the best hands in the league for deflections and getting ahold of rebounds and burying them

This could work on a team where the offense is coming in from the point.

As for 3C...

I'm assuming it's not Frost, but I suppose that's an outside possibility.

What does it do to the lines if you put Giroux back at 1C or 2C and put Coots back at 3C?    I'm not sure I like it.  First, it creates a hole on left wing.  It effectively makes JVR the top line LWer.   But then what after that?

Nevermind on the whole idea.  As I started typing I really hated it.

Who internally fills 3C?   Vorobyov?  Vecchione?  Rubtsov isn't ready.  And it better not be Laughton.   They're not thinking Weise or Lehtera, right?

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not true...

Image result for james van riemsdyk chewing on mouthpiece gif

#justforyou

I know there's more important things to worry about, but I'm really not looking forward to seeing that on a regular basis.  It really makes him look gotanygum stupid.

25 minutes ago, radoran said:

Put giroux at wing on the second line and what does this give?

With Patrick and Voracek?   It gives you a new first line.

The second line then becomes JVR, Coots, and Konecny.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I know there's more important things to worry about, but I'm really not looking forward to seeing that on a regular basis.  It really makes him look gotanygum stupid.

I'm with you.

But does it mean there is something wrong with us that just seeing that on TV passes us off?

I mean not even sure why it does...it doesn't make a sound or anything but just seeing agravates the sh it out of me....and it shouldn't.

Anyways it's minor however I bet he'll cause a few others to do it after they see it over and over...kind of like yawning...you see someone else do it and impulsively you feel the need to do it.

Archived