JVR back to Philly

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

With Patrick and Voracek?   It gives you a new first line.

The second line then becomes JVR, Coots, and Konecny.

Yeah there are a few variations.

You could reunite Jake with Giroux.

Giroux-Coots-Jake

JVR-Patrick-Konecny

Looks cool but when you did deeper I don't like it.

You'd have a 1st line of passers.

And Patrick would be skating with two guys who will shoot anything from anywhere.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

But does it mean there is something wrong with us that just seeing that on TV passes us off?

I'm not sure. 

But I really do have a visceral reaction to it.  It's the same reaction I have to a moron walking around with his pants down around his ass and 6 inches of underwear showing. 

I think JVR is more easily explainable.  It's likely little different than the person who has to doodle in their notebook in class in order to stay focused (there are those doodling and not paying attention, but there really are those who need something tactile to focus).  It could just be that he was weened too early. 

But it drives me nuts to see it like it used to drive me nuts seeing a kid playing with their food. If I saw an adult doing it, I'd have to fight the urge to push their face down into their soup.

We went to see Jurassic World on Saturday (if you haven't, don't). Several around us were chomping like mules on their popcorn. What's so hard about closing your damn mouth?  It was in stereo.  By the time the movie was over, my head probably looked awfully similar to a thermometer in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. 

I think all of that comes from the same place:  Ambien. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

We went to see Jurassic World on Saturday (if you haven't, don't).

After the last one (in 3D) i think i'll wait to watch it at home. The wife and i have yet made it to the movies this summer.

Not sure what will be my first one....maybe the Incredibles...not sure.

Lat couple times we have finally went we went during a matinee and in the mid of the week after it had been out awhile and hardly anyone is in there....love it that way. In fact the last movie i have seen at the theaters was Star War this past one after Christmas.

I really think all this does is slide Lindblom down a line. As much as I like him, and think he could really break out this year, I'm fine with that - as long as the Flyers don't cling to the "third line = checking line" mentality. 

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

JVR - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - XXX - Simmonds

Raffl - Laughton - Weal/NAK

Extras: Leier, Weise, Lehtera

While I'm perfectly fine if they go with an internal option, there are some interesting potential options in the trade market to upgrade that 3C role.

JG Pageau is a younger guy who makes more in salary than he does in cap hit - exactly the type of contract Melnyk would like to get rid of. They also have Clarke MacArthur finishing out his career (2 years) on LTIR, so I wonder if the Flyers might be willing to swing a deal to bring those two over for next to nothing. Weise, for example, is 2.35 in both real salary and AAV this year, but next he's only 1.75 in actual salary. A swap of Weise and Weal for MacArthur/JGP, maybe with a low-mid pick? That would leave them with almost 5 million in cap space, with the option of placing MacArthur on LTIR if necessary. You could even try to expand it if you wanted to bring back Anderson as well.

Chicago may be looking to clear space by moving Anisimov and his 4.55 million dollar contract. He's been a 30-40 point guy playing up and down in their lineup, though mostly next to Kane IIRC, so his totals may even be inflated, which is a bit scary. 3 years left on his deal is a bit longer than I'd like, but he might be another cheap to acquire option.

The Wild have been rumored to have Charlie Coyle on the block for some time now, as well as Zucker and Neiderreiter. I'd still see if a package around Simmonds and a prospect/picks could bring back Coyle and one of the other two. I'd prefer Zucker who has more upside, but Niederreiter would be a fine fit on the third line as a replacement for Simmonds. Coyle has two years left at 3.2, Niederreiter 4 at 5.25, and Zucker is an RFA.

Somewhat psychotic idea: Jeff Carter - get the band back together. Kings are up against the cap, and will be again next year with several RFAs to sign. Carter is 5.27 million for the next 4 years. Takes him until he's 37, but his skill set doesn't seem to be deteriorating too quickly. Give him decreased minutes against lower competition, see if he can maintain a decent scoring pace. The big problem here is that he never seemed to do too well when shifted to wing, and four years is a long time with Frost et. al. on the way.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

After the last one (in 3D) i think i'll wait to watch it at home. The wife and i have yet made it to the movies this summer.

Lat couple times we have finally went we went during a matinee and in the mid of the week after it had been out awhile and hardly anyone is in there....love it that way. In fact the last movie i have seen at the theaters was Star War this past one after Christmas.

My wife and I are passing on this one. The sad thing is that it finally looks like they're getting back to the root of the story, which was not about monsters eating people (not really), but about ethics in genetics. But it looks terrible

Saw Ocean's 8 and was pleasantly surprised. We do the same thing - go to a matinee a few weeks after they open, except for the few we go to see with friends who are in the comic book industry. They have to go opening night in order to not have the entire plot recited to them 15 times before they see the film.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Lol thread about to be hijacked. I saw the first Jurassic World in the theater and hated it. Really hated it. From the previews, I fully expected to hate this one but went anyway because it was Jurassic.  It's really like they're not even trying. 

Solo will be the first ever Star Wars movie I didn't see in the theater. We really don't go to a lot of movies at the theater, but there's a very small handful of franchises where it's almost a religious thing. Star Wars is one. But I knew I would be bored out of my mind for Solo so we didn't go. It just had no hope of keeping my attention and not frustrating me. 

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Lol thread about to be hijacked.

Yep.

I think my first one this summer will be Sicario 2. Loved the first one.

Ok back on track.....

A Tale of two JVR's

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/a-tale-of-two-jvrs--philadelphia-flyers/c-299386116

Enjoy...

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

My wife and I are passing on this one. The sad thing is that it finally looks like they're getting back to the root of the story, which was not about monsters eating people (not really), but about ethics in genetics. But it looks terrible

You would think so, right (getting back to the story)?

It's a travesty. It's a disjointed mess that doesn't transition well, again has too many stops and starts with story and themes and there is zero character development. The characters outside of Pratt and Howard are just cardboard cutout scenery.   And the last bit of the movie was simply commercial for the next movie, really.  We missed the post-credits scene, but I don't think we missed much. 

Howard was better in this if that's anything. 

The photography and scene framing were pretty good, but aside from that a completely forgettable movie. 

I didn't hear about this until last night - was off-grid.   I thought about it and read this thread.  

I personally am not a fan of retreads however:

1) He was a FA, didn't lose anyone and the cap went up.

2) He has the potential to hit 30+ and is shoot first mentality which the Flyers are lacking. 

3) As someone else pointed out he will be real shiny to Settle, hopefully keeping the kids off the radar. 

On the flip side: 

1) He has Toronto stink on him.  Gonna have to scrub real hard.

2) He's soft, especially in their own zone.  How is Hak gonna be with that? 

3) He could potentially block the way for a young kid coming up.  

4) 5yrs @ 7m?   I'm always nervous of paying that much money for players when their heart has been questioned in the past.

So in the end, I don't like the trade and I think this one will hurt the Flyers in 3-4 years unless JVR over-produces or Settle takes him.  

Meh.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Solo will be the first ever Star Wars movie I didn't see in the theater. We really don't go to a lot of movies at the theater, but there's a very small handful of franchises where it's almost a religious thing. Star Wars is one. But I knew I would be bored out of my mind for Solo so we didn't go. It just had no hope of keeping my attention and not frustrating me. 

Last thing I'll say on the movie bit: I liked it didn't love it. BUT if you're a SW fan, July 20 they're showing Star Wars at the Mann with the Philadelphia Orchestra playing the score live. We saw them do that with Jurassic Park a few years back at the Mann, and Raiders of the Lost Ark in Verizon Hall. The Mann you can take a picnic dinner and sit on the lawn. Both were excellent times.

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

fantastic movie, super fun, my daughter is going to see it again today with her friends.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

fantastic movie, super fun, my daughter is going to see it again today with her friends.

I need to rewatch the original so i can remember it all...14 years is a long time ago...

I like the signing. 

Hexy addressed a need by getting the best available winger on a very reasonable contract. He can easily be moved in years 4/5 if he more or less remains productive. He can be exposed in the expansion draft. And he’ll be 33 at the end of the deal.

The $7M caphit is probably the result of shorter term and no NMC/NTC.

He wanted to play here.

No one on the Flyers scored more goals last year, so it’s hard to see this negatively. Also, my guess is that people think GMs have more options than they really do. There are so many factors behind the scenes that never see the light of day. 

I’m guessing he slots in with Patrick and pushes Lindblom down the depth chart. That makes sense. 

Also, this could be a huge boost to our PP.

PP1 

G, Ghost, Voracek, Simmonds, Coots

PP2

Patrick, Provorov, Konecny, JVR, Sanheim

If TK is playing on fire 5v5 on the top line, just swap him and Voracek on the PP units. 

Anyway I think there’s a lot to like about this signing and it gives us a true goal scorer. 

Yes, okay back to JvR.

I have not paid one nano second of attention to him since he was traded. It was too easy to simply hate Luke Schenn, no need to make myself feel worse by checking in on JvR's production.

I think @flyercanuck would occasionally tell us JvR was still soft and playing on the perimeter, but he was managing to score goals in the NHL on a "not-good" then "rising" team. 

There were no precious assets shipped to Toronto to bring in the 30 goals, this to me is the best part of this acquisition.  It is just money and it's not mine. In light of the deal Evander Kane signed I don't see where JvR's deal is "out of line".  On the whole I would rather pay JvR this money than be Jim Rutherford paying the shell of Jack Johnson whatever the hell they're paying him.

My lack of excitement over this signing has more to do with my memory of being disappointed with the player for not living up to what I thought a 2nd overall pick should be...not necessarily what the player did.

I do remember videos of the kid trying to drag trucks around parking lots in the off-season in an attempt to get stronger, I do remember the good Schenn, Simmonds and JvR being a pretty good line for a month and then inexplicably, they never played together again. I do remember the "kid" saying things about wanting to be a leader...so maybe if I can get past the fact that he wasn't  Patrick Kane, I can think more positively about this signing.

He's a good player,  he skates very well, his contract doesn't hurt the team's ability to sign our precious.  I think I can come around on this, especially if he's going to be potting 25-35 goals a year.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I had zero expectations of what Solo was going to be going in....I mean obviously it's an origin story. Ron Howard directed it, so it's fun and taught. It was a good theatre movie experience. 

I think I could have used more time between TLJ and Solo.  I think I've hit a Star Wars fatigue.  The new movie every couple of years worked well for keeping me interested.   With Solo I had just seen and enjoyed TLJ and wham here's another movie not even 6 months later, the movies need to go away long enough for me to miss them, Solo's release timing was too soon. That's my only complaint.

59 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Interesting article.  I would have missed it, so thanks for that.

I'm okay with this deal.   Largely because of these two things:

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

There were no precious assets shipped to Toronto to bring in the 30 goals, this to me is the best part of this acquisition.

17 minutes ago, brelic said:

Hexy addressed a need by getting the best available winger on a very reasonable contract. He can easily be moved in years 4/5 if he more or less remains productive. He can be exposed in the expansion draft. And he’ll be 33 at the end of the deal

I agree with all of that (and the rest of their posts).

I don't watch a lot of Toronto.  There are better things to watch--like the surveillance video from an empty Toys R Us.  But I don't think I understand the "still a perimeter player" juxtaposed against "he plays the same game as Simmonds--in the crease area deflecting and getting rebounds."    

On the current team, all it does is push Lindblom down a line.  That's fine with me.  He didn't embarrass himself in his time up, but he didn't exactly set the world on fire.   The third line may actually be a good spot for him.  Depending upon who they have center, putting him on a line with either Simmonds or Konecny on the other side may not be a bad thing for him.

By the 3rd or 4th year of the contract, JVR may come into conflict with guys like Ratcliffe or Farabee.  So, maybe they come in on lower lines and gradually move up as JVR moves down.  At that point, given the structure of his contract he could always be traded for a way-overvalued POS defenseman.  Nah, who would ever trade JVR for that?   I agree that he could be cheap & shiny for Seattle.   I'm not sure why Seattle would take a 32 year old winger over a 24 year old defenseman, but sure, why not?  Paul Holmgren isn't going to be Seattle's GM, is he?

It's very workable and fills a glaring need until some of the wingers are ready.  I wish we'd at least also have gotten a decent 3C, but we'll see what happens there.   I don't really want someone signed at 3C for 3-5 years that muddies the water for Frost and/or Rubtsov, so I'm okay waiting until the end of July to sign Nick Shore or someone for a year.

Plus, I'm not sure that Simmonds isn't going somewhere for a 3C (which only rips a crater in the 3RW, but whatever).  

This makes our top 6 very good.   Our defense should be offensively good and transition should be good.  And other than Provorov, they'll be very good at holding "this way to the sieve in net" signs.

I don't need nor want a veteran defenseman signing.   That will only give the moron behind the bench someone to screw the kids with.  Hire a priest and be done with it.

I really wanted another option in goal, but unless we're following the suggestion of Pageau/MacArthur/Anderson (that was creative, by the way), I don't see it happening.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I really wanted another option in goal, but unless we're following the suggestion of Pageau/MacArthur/Anderson (that was creative, by the way), I don't see it happening.

I agree with everything in here, but wanted to address this to make it clear that I haven't heard anything about Pageau being available - just that someone mentioned he was a guy who makes more than his cap hit. Not by much, it's only $500,000 over two years, but still. Then I noticed MacArthur was still on their roster, and the idea took off in my head. And Pageau is a guy I've always liked.

37 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I had zero expectations of what Solo was going to be going in....I mean obviously it's an origin story. Ron Howard directed it, so it's fun and taught. It was a good theatre movie experience. 

I think I could have used more time between TLJ and Solo.  I think I've hit a Star Wars fatigue.  The new movie every couple of years worked well for keeping me interested.   With Solo I had just seen and enjoyed TLJ and wham here's another movie not even 6 months later, the movies need to go away long enough for me to miss them, Solo's release timing was too soon. That's my only complaint.

Yeah, the fatigue thing is absolutely a factor for me. 

Here's my problem, (and keep in mind I haven't seen it):   When I go to a movie, I need more than an amusement park ride.  Battle scenes and car chases bore the crap out of me unless they're fairly brief and integral to the story.  To bring this back even remotely to hockey, for me it's the difference between a staged fight and a fight that culminates from the emotion/direction of the game.  I need that or it bores me.  I know I sound like a woman on the couch with a glass of red wine and snickerdoodles watching the Lifetime Movie Network, but..yeah.

So, where do I go with the story in Solo?   No battle scene will hold my attention or create any emotional investment because Solo obviously has to survive. So, I'll sit there through the entire battle or chase or whatever saying almost outloud, "can we get on with it?"  What's the other driving force in a story?   Sexual tension between the protagonist and some love interest.  Given that he's single when "A New Hope" begins and ultimately ends up with Leia, this is filler, too, and again won't hold my attention or create any emotional investment.   So--for me--it would ultimately be 2 hours of flashing lights and music.  In the theater, I'd be checking my watch. I'll end up watching it streaming, but I'm pretty sure I'll be fiddling with my phone or doing my taxes or something.

Rogue one wasn't technically an origin story, but it did go back to fill a hole in the storyline.  What made that really enjoyable for me was the heavy reliance on people not otherwise in the [main] story.  Some cameos from other familiar faces but they were largely scenery to provide context.   So, you didn't really know what was going to happen with the protagonists and it gave an element of tension.   Plus,  (spoiler to follow, so just in case)

I really liked that everyone died at the end.  I know that's dark and says something about me, but I liked that it didn't have the Hollywood wrap up and everyone goes home happy.   Someone had to sacrifice for the ultimate goal.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

I agree with everything in here, but wanted to address this to make it clear that I haven't heard anything about Pageau being available - just that someone mentioned he was a guy who makes more than his cap hit. Not by much, it's only $500,000 over two years, but still. Then I noticed MacArthur was still on their roster, and the idea took off in my head. And Pageau is a guy I've always liked.

I couldn't remember for sure who had written it, but I was thinking you.   Yeah, it didn't come across as something that had been out there anywhere but just a really creative forum idea that I thought was a good one.   

You and I should be trade partners in fantasy more often.  LOL

You are giys have to ask a question, who would you like instead him for same money, well of course about same price tag player? Also who is available? I don't think you can much see around a league would be a good fit. Plus he showed ability to lead a team, as Leafs player, even before Matthews. 

I think it's upgrade for our offense. 

21 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not sure why Seattle would take a 32 year old winger over a 24 year old defenseman, but sure, why not?  Paul Holmgren isn't going to be Seattle's GM, is he?

If he's scoring 25-35 goals he could be valued as a trade chip? 

I know I'm reaching here but I'm just trying to keep Sanheim AND Myers.

5 minutes ago, phlfly said:

You are giys have to ask a question, who would you like instead him for same money, well of course about same price tag player? Also who is available?

You are right about this, who is available...there wasn't a "bumper crop" of free agents available that fit the Flyers need.

If we can all get past the fact he was here before and just "whelmed" we should enjoy a team that has  more offensive firepower and better depth 1-9 especially.

Like Rux I would like to see a Pker/3c added, but maybe that guy is already in the organization.  Morgan Frost has been killing development camp. One of the V's might make a push, Misha Voroybev continued to improve and Veccione is at the time where he's either going to be an NHL player or an AHL leader...those guys are "free" and maybe an upgrade over the ghost of Valteri Filpulla.

10 minutes ago, phlfly said:

You are giys have to ask a question, who would you like instead him for same money, well of course about same price tag player? Also who is available? I don't think you can much see around a league would be a good fit. Plus he showed ability to lead a team, as Leafs player, even before Matthews. 

I think it's upgrade for our offense. 

To agree I has too.  Think what is options not being there for good is to get him when for no bodies is else available.  Point being good is made.

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

To agree I has too.  Think what is options not being there for good is to get him when for no bodies is else available.  Point being good is made.

LOL.  I think you ate too much paste in kindergarten!!

A lot has been written about this signing as "statement."  Homer wants to take this squad up a notch or two. There is a lot to be said for that argument.  My "fear" is that we get two-three years and bottom falls out.  

Agreed that pickins were slim this year.  Ron may have some more tricks up his sleeve or be willing to test the youngins, which is fine with me too.  We have two good top lines that should lead to more distributed scoring.  I think Scott Laughton is up or out this year as 4th line center. 

Archived