How soon before the new GM trades for a goalie, center and defense.

RonJeremy

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't do Sanheim for Nylander. Sorry. 

Ron? Is that you? 

:)

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

6 has been the best player on our blue line this year, and he's only going to get better. 

Toronto will be getting the better player longterm IMO.

I hear ya, and I agree. But you gotta give to get. We've got a lot more prospects coming up. I wouldn't trade Ghost or Provorov, so Sanheim is really the only viable option.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, brelic said:

I hear ya, and I agree. But you gotta give to get. We've got a lot more prospects coming up. I wouldn't trade Ghost or Provorov, so Sanheim is really the only viable option.

I wonder if they have any interest in Hagg?  I feel like they are pretty set with offensive d-men.  Of course, I think you'd have to sweeten the pot a little more. 

I read somewhere that Holmgren and Clarke were with Hextall in the GM's box during the NYR game.  Wonder what they were discussing...

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

I don't understand how bringing in Dean Lombardi--Hexy's mentor--is a positive. 

The only positive with Dean is he turned the Sharks around pretty quickly.

He came in fired Kevin Constantine had a interim head coach and eventually landed Sutter and made 5 straight playoffs.

Ended up losing his job after disappointing season with instability in net with Nabokov, Toskala and Kiprusoff.

But it was due to mostly only having only one scoring line and a patchwork defense.

And was brought to Philly as a scout till he went to the Kings to take over.

Eventually reunited with Sutter but not before going through Marc Crawford and Terry Murray to Stevens as interim head coach and then laned Sutter and won the Cup that same year.

Lost in the conference finals the following year then won the Cup again and was fired after 3 disappointing season.

So bottom line he has a lot of experience of rebuilding and the ups and downs of winning a Cup.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Couturier

Nylander

Patrick

Laughton

And one of my biggest worries with this is giving up Sanheim for him therefore creating a hole in the current blueline...and that would mean adding Mcdud after subtracting Sanheim.

And then now they are blocking all the center talent coming in soon like Frost, Vorobyev, Rubtsov, Laczynski and O' Brien.

And three trading for Nylander and committing to him for long term before you even know if he will fit. 

Whoever the GM is he has a lot of talent to choose from. A very deep pool of talent that is stacked all over and some may not pan out but they will be arriving yearly.

Screen_Shot_2018_09_17_at_2.07.18_PM__2_

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And one of my biggest worries with this is giving up Sanheim for him therefore creating a hole in the current blueline...and that would mean adding Mcdud after subtracting Sanheim.

And then now they are blocking all the center talent coming in soon like Frost, Vorobyev, Rubtsov, Laczynski and O' Brien.

And three trading for Nylander and committing to him for long term before you even know if he will fit. 

Whoever the GM is he has a lot of talent to choose from. A very deep pool of talent that is stacked all over and some may not pan out but they will be arriving yearly.

Screen_Shot_2018_09_17_at_2.07.18_PM__2_

Nylander is 22 years old and has two 20+ goal seasons and two 60+ seasons.

How many of those does Frost have? Rubtsov?  Vorobyev?

The truth is all of those guys could be marginal NHLers, or tweeners, or a middle six winger. 

Holmgren and Scott's message is very clear - sitting on a pile of magic beans and hoping it pans out is unacceptable.

They are focused on the trade deadline - straight from their mouths.

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Nylander is 22 years old and has two 20+ goal seasons and two 60+ seasons.

Sure let's add his two very soft playoff performances where he really didn't like to play tough and fight for the puck and was passive and on full display for all the see once the intensity went up and ore was at stake.

How many of those do Frost, Ruby and the gang have of those??

I'm telling there is a reason the Leafs don't want to hand him that money and because they KNOW.

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

Holmgren and Scott's message is very clear - sitting on a pile of magic beans and hoping it pans out is unacceptable.

And oh yeah by the way i remember the days of Homer where Jason Akeson is your top forward and can't even crack the NHl 4th line let's return to those days.

Homer do care about developing talent he has no idea to even do such....hell he doesn't even know how to obtain it first of all.

He just wants to buy what he thinks he needs (see Mcdud contract) and that was fine back in the day but now with a salary cap that ain't happening.

So yeah by all means lets go trade a 22 year old defenseman for another soft pivot we can sign for 7-8 year at 7 mill per.

HELL F**kING NO!!!!!!!!!!

A goalie a veteran dman a #3 center. Great bring it on. Then a #2 center, the current one has vanished, 3 more dmen who can play shut down playoff minutes, 2 big wingers who can skate and wear down dmen, and a coach who can put it all together with playoff experience. Thats all thats needed. 

11 minutes ago, brelic said:

And that scares the sh it out of me right there!!!!!!

And by the way i should have put all this in one post my apologies. 

13 minutes ago, brelic said:

From my previous post...you asked for it here is what you are going to get with Homer...

He will trade Hart for Pekka Rinne.

Provorov for Brent Seabrook.

And Nolan Patrick for Matt Cullen.

Prepare!

33 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The only positive with Dean is he turned the Sharks around pretty quickly.

He came in fired Kevin Constantine had a interim head coach and eventually landed Sutter and made 5 straight playoffs.

Ended up losing his job after disappointing season with instability in net with Nabokov, Toskala and Kiprusoff.

But it was due to mostly only having only one scoring line and a patchwork defense.

And was brought to Philly as a scout till he went to the Kings to take over.

Eventually reunited with Sutter but not before going through Marc Crawford and Terry Murray to Stevens as interim head coach and then laned Sutter and won the Cup that same year.

Lost in the conference finals the following year then won the Cup again and was fired after 3 disappointing season.

So bottom line he has a lot of experience of rebuilding and the ups and downs of winning a Cup.

Lombardi not a candidate. Not interested, per Homer.

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure let's add his two very soft playoff performances where he really didn't like to play tough and fight for the puck and was passive and on full display for all the see once the intensity went up and ore was at stake.

How many of those do Frost, Ruby and the gang have of those??

I'm telling there is a reason the Leafs don't want to hand him that money and because they KNOW.

Fair, but that was his first playoff. He just might be young enough to learn from it as he develops ;)

So-no guy is better than the guy we have now ?

"f" it, the team can run itself,  we'll find a guy who's out of work because he sucked previously and hope he gets it now.

those two stooges provided zero answers, and bonus, they didn't convince me that they've thought about what to do next.

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And oh yeah by the way i remember the days of Homer where Jason Akeson is your top forward and can't even crack the NHl 4th line let's return to those days.

Homer do care about developing talent he has no idea to even do such....hell he doesn't even know how to obtain it first of all.

He just wants to buy what he thinks he needs (see Mcdud contract) and that was fine back in the day but now with a salary cap that ain't happening.

So yeah by all means lets go trade a 22 year old defenseman for another soft pivot we can sign for 7-8 year at 7 mill per.

HELL F**kING NO!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I totally agree with you. Homer's scorched earth policy left everything pretty... well... scorched. 

BUT...

His teams were competitive and exciting. I always got the sense that they could do some damage. In 8 years, his teams had 6 playoff appearances, two 1st round losses, two 2nd round losses, one conference final loss, and one Stanley Cup final loss. 

So there's gotta be a happy medium somewhere. Ron Hextall was the GM that we *needed* at the time. He did what Holmgren was unable to do, as boring and vanilla as it is. It was necessary.

But it seems Hextall was just as extreme in the other direction, and that has led to a boring, mediocre product that is not competitive nor compelling to watch, cheer, and spend money for. 

And that's a death knell for any business. 

1 minute ago, brelic said:

BUT...

Yeah sounds like nothing we can do.

And yeah his teams were competitive but think back those were the days when Tampa, Carolina, Montreal, Florida, Sabres, Columbus and the NYI was gimme easy wins.

Those days are gone.

Those teams/clubs have all passed the Flyers by.

And Homer still doesn't know what a franchise goalie is.....Bryz says hello!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Digityman said:

That looks like a decent lineup @brelic.    I like moving Simmonds and Jake for pieces.

My concern is that giving up Sanheim for Nylander is risky given that Nylander isn't signed unless I'm missing something.   

My concern isn't Nylander's talent...it's the $8 million or more price tag. He'll most certainly want AT LEAST that from us in his upcoming new contract.

Don’t we need a  physical, defensive minded , penalty killing face off winning , third line center? How does Nylander solve that problem.?  How can we give up a #2 defenseman for a soft third line center. I wouldn’t even give up Haag , he is our best defenseman this year and he is the top hitter and shot blocker and has shown offensive skill. Nylander is not what this team needs. Goaltending, defense and then third line center are our weak links in order. Why weaken the defense. Trade Simmonds or Voracek for a center.

18 hours ago, Digityman said:

That looks like a decent lineup @brelic.    I like moving Simmonds and Jake for pieces.

My concern is that giving up Sanheim for Nylander is risky given that Nylander isn't signed unless I'm missing something.   

Any trade would be predicated upon a deal already being struck.    He can't play unless he is signed and there's only until Saturday left.  No one in the league is trading for him unless they sign first.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Any trade would be predicated upon a deal already being struck.    He can't play unless he is signed and there's only until Saturday left.  No one in the league is trading for him unless they sign first.

That's the piece I didn't understand.  That being said I could see Homer doing this.  I'm having flashbacks

10 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Don’t we need a  physical, defensive minded , penalty killing face off winning , third line center? How does Nylander solve that problem.?  How can we give up a #2 defenseman for a soft third line center. I wouldn’t even give up Haag , he is our best defenseman this year and he is the top hitter and shot blocker and has shown offensive skill. Nylander is not what this team needs. Goaltending, defense and then third line center are our weak links in order. Why weaken the defense. Trade Simmonds or Voracek for a center.

You wouldn't. Nylander would be your 2C. Patrick would be 3C. 

Patrick can win faceoffs, he's defensively minded... ok, not very physical and we don't know about PK ability, but I'd bet his PKing could be decent.

I think Patrick needs a few more seasons before he's a real 2C, while Nylander is that already.

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

You wouldn't. Nylander would be your 2C. Patrick would be 3C. 

Patrick can win faceoffs, he's defensively minded... ok, not very physical and we don't know about PK ability, but I'd bet his PKing could be decent.

I think Patrick needs a few more seasons before he's a real 2C, while Nylander is that already.

What does Nylander cost?  Sanheim?  Ghost?  Anyone willing to part with either?  I'd strongly consider it and bet dollars to donuts that Holmgren & Co. wanted Hextall to go after Nylander and he didn't.  The timing of all of this and the lack of an apparent plan makes me think things went south in Toronto (and not just because they played so bad).

Imo, Nylander (and any center for that matter) would be a very nice addition to this lineup and would set up our centers for the foreseeable future.  Patrick is not a bona fide 2C at this point.  And, despite his year last year, I'm not sure Couturier is a bona fide 1C.  Also, if Morgan Frost turns out to be a bona fide NHLer, then even better. 

Wouldn't shock me to see Holmgren try to make a deal for Nylander himself if he can't hire a GM to do it before Saturday.

5 minutes ago, vis said:

What does Nylander cost?  Sanheim?  Ghost?  Anyone willing to part with either?  I'd strongly consider it and bet dollars to donuts that Holmgren & Co. wanted Hextall to go after Nylander and he didn't.  The timing of all of this and the lack of an apparent plan makes me think things went south in Toronto (and not just because they played so bad).

Imo, Nylander (and any center for that matter) would be a very nice addition to this lineup and would set up our centers for the foreseeable future.  Patrick is not a bona fide 2C at this point.  And, despite his year last year, I'm not sure Couturier is a bona fide 1C.  Also, if Morgan Frost turns out to be a bona fide NHLer, then even better. 

Wouldn't shock me to see Holmgren try to make a deal for Nylander himself if he can't hire a GM to do it before Saturday.

I think Sanheim is what they would prefer. They already have a better version of Ghost, and Sanheim will be much cheaper to resign this offseason because he hasn't earned himself a big payday.

If you trade Sanheim, call up Myers.

Coots/Nylander/Patrick down the middle is very solid for the foreseeable future. Like you say, if someone like Frost pushes his way up the chain, even better for us. 

I'm way more nervous with Holmgren holding the trigger because anything goes with him. And it usually results in overpaying, over-committing, or both.

Archived