Post Hextall press conference thread

Poulin20

1 minute ago, Poulin20 said:
EG8742ar_bigger.jpgBill MeltzerVerified account @billmeltzer
FollowFollow @billmeltzer
More

Also, not surprisingly, Dean Lombardi is not interested in being considered for the GM job. That would have been really awkward and untenable.

8:47 AM - 27 Nov 2018

That is sad now.

Because after thinking about what is all about to take place now and NOT knowing who the axe COULD be....he is now my leading choice for the job...he does have experience on how to build a winner...the unknown of who it will be to scary to think about now.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Yeah I heard that too and wished he would have expounded a bit more on that but am assuming that he doesn't want to throw them under the bus publicly in the current environment but will certainly make his feelings known to the next GM. 

I'm kind of guessing they may make some moves in the interim until a new GM is brought on.  They can make the moves they want made and then let the new GM sort out the rest of it.  Just my opinion.  

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yep a return to the old ways. So basically this whole 5 year wait was for nothing. They committed to Hexy's plan and then couldn't take it no more. Because they one don't really know how to build a winner.

#scaredas****

I don't know if its a full-on firesale.  But what scares me is that other teams know the Flyers are desperate and can be taken advantage of.  Holmgren cannot control himself.

Just now, vis said:

I don't know if its a full-on firesale.  But what scares me is that other teams know the Flyers are desperate and can be taken advantage of.  Holmgren cannot control himself.

Voracek and a Second First for Jeff Crater

:ph34r:

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is sad now.

Because after thinking about what is all about to take place now and NOT knowing who the axe COULD be....he is now my leading choice for the job...he does have experience on how to build a winner...the unknown of who it will be to scary to think about now.

Not surprised nor really bothered by it.  Never really thought of him as a legit candidate to fill the role.  

Just now, vis said:

Never really thought of him as a legit candidate to fill the role.

Sure i get it.

But NOT knowing who it could be (as i just seen Brel say it was Pronger oh dear lawd) that is too scary to imagine!!!

The unknown.

The devil you know is scarier than the one you don't know type thought!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The devil you know is scarier than the one you don't know type thought!!!!!!!

Let's all take a moment to thank the St. Louis Blues for putting Berube behind the bench, eh?

🤗

no kidding, that presser was maybe one of the most unprofessional corporate sno-jobs i've seen. and it's my business to sling the b.s.

those asses didn't know nothing, didn't say nothing, Scott kickin' it with some corporate ******** buzzwords.

how many times did Homer tell people he didn't know what to do or why he did it, just that Hextall was 'unyielding" .

truly, this group is un-led.

how on earth is Homer still with the damn team ? 

unbelievable. 

40 minutes ago, radoran said:

Let's all take a moment to thank the St. Louis Blues for putting Berube behind the bench, eh?

🤗

I don't know about you but now i feel so good knowing he is taking over...

😡

38 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

no kidding, that presser was maybe one of the most unprofessional corporate sno-jobs i've seen. and it's my business to sling the b.s.

those asses didn't know nothing, didn't say nothing, Scott kickin' it with some corporate ******** buzzwords.

how many times did Homer tell people he didn't know what to do or why he did it, just that Hextall was 'unyielding" .

truly, this group is un-led.

how on earth is Homer still with the damn team ? 

unbelievable. 

There are a few scenarios that could explain some of the weirdness.

First, I wonder if this was driven by the business folks moreso than the hockey folks.  In other words, I wonder if Holmgren made this decision on his own or if the orders came from above.   I could see a scenario where the business folks complain to Holmgren about wanting something done to improve the team.  Holmgren then approaching Hextall about potential trades or other transactions and Hextall shooting him down.  And Holmgren saying back to the business folks that he couldn't force Hextall to make a trade.  And then the business folks saying Hextall has to go and to find someone who will take steps to improve the roster.  If that was the case, then I could see Holmgren not having many answers.  Rather, he was fulfilling orders but the spin becomes that Ron was unyielding in his approach.  

Second, I think the Flyers are a fairly private organization.  They aren't transparent, imo.  Even when Snider wanted to appear transparent, I don't think he was.  So, the weirdness and lack of answers kind of fits with that.  I mean, Holmgren can't come right out and say "the on-ice product sucks because Hextall failed to address problem areas and won't make a move and now I'm getting **** from my bosses, so that's why Hextall was fired."

Anyone else see at the end of the press conference that Dave Scott shook Paul Holmgren's hand and said what looked like "Good job."  Seemed to be a weird thing to do/say.  As if it was to congratulate him for not saying anything at all and spinning it the way they wanted.  Reminds me of GoodFellas: "You told them nothing and they got nothing."

All of this to say that I firmly believe that Holmgren is basically a puppet for whoever his boss is at a given time and doesn't have a lot of real answers of his own.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't know about you but now i feel so good knowing he is taking over...

😡

Doesn't want to, but will anyway.  Watch.

Oh, and define "external."  I would guess that includes ex-Flyers who don't currently have a job with the organization.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Voracek and a Second First for Jeff Crater

:ph34r:

Yep.

Translation:

Homer "Hey GM's have you seen my draft pick and prospect coffers have been restocked by my colleague whom i have removed as an obstacle we are open for business, i am ready to overpay and get fleeced once again....everyone gets a complimentary 2nd rounder for your business....." 

Just now, Digityman said:

From Carchidi:   Dave Scott said "I want to spend to the cap, I want to have the best possible team we can have."

Welcome back to cap hell boys.  It was a good run.

Thing is, spending to the cap doesn't necessarily make the best team.

Six of the top 10 capped teams in the league are out of playoff position today.

1. No one could succinctly explain the 'philosophical differences' within the organization

“Hexy in his time as general manager has put this organization in a good spot with the young players that are in place right now, our farm system, our prospect cupboard is full. There’s cap space, which is a good thing,” Holmgren said.

“Having said that, I just felt in the best interest of the organization, it was time to look for a new voice with a different mindset that can push the team to the next level. Without getting specific, Ron was unyielding in his approach. Unyielding. He had his plans and he was sticking to them. You can slice and dice that any way you want.”

2. Despite the organizational differences, the decision to fire Hextall was made very quickly

When asked if the decision was made over time or was Hextall warned, Holmgren said, “It was a tough thing to go through [Monday]. Was he warned? No, not warned. I don’t know how Ron felt in the conversations we had. Was he ever told to fire the coach? No. Was he ever told to make a trade? No. Why even bother having a GM if you have to have those conversations.” 

3. Holmgren will take over the hockey operations in the interim but will go outside the organization to find Hextall’s successor, and the timetable is weeks, not months

“Somebody’s got to do the hockey business right now while we’re in this search mode," Holmgren said. "I don’t believe Dean [Lombardi] has interest. I don’t think he’s at a point in his life that he wants to do that right now. I have a short list. Preferably, I would love to go outside our organization. If I’m picking, I can probably guarantee from outside our organization.”  

4. Dave Hakstol will remain coach … for now

“He knows that we’re going to look for a GM obviously,” Holmgren said. “All I could offer to Dave [Monday] was my support and I said let me know if there’s anything I can do to help make you do your job better. I talked a little bit about his staff moving forward. He knows. The players know, the coaches know, we all know. It’s about winning and we haven’t been winning enough games lately.”

“I think we all like Hak. He’s a likable guy. I think he’s an intense guy that works hard at his job. I hate to keep kicking the can down the road, but that’s what I’m going to do. It’s up to the next GM.”

5. Losing is affecting the business side

“I personally feel our fans deserve better,” Scott said. “We have great fans and they’ve been patient. My vision is that we’ll invest everything that we have to and we’ll look at every opportunity to make it better. This is about winning hockey games. On the business side, we have so much going on as far as the transformation. At the same time, you have to win hockey games, too. Our attendance is good, but could it be better, sure.”

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

Holmgren is counting all the prospects and second round picks he can toss in for free to trade for washed up 35 year olds.

I have zero doubt Holmgren makes a trade that includes someone like Farabee or Frost and a 1st for someone who used to be very good. Oh ya, and a 2nd.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

I have zero doubt Holmgren makes a trade that includes someone like Farabee or Frost and a 1st for someone who used to be very good. Oh ya, and a 2nd.

LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA.

Sorry making a very loud sound so God can't hear you.

Scott: "I want to spend to the cap"

Shouldn't that comment worry us?

For years, decades the Flyers have confused money for talent (Exhibit Z: Bryzgalov). The new NHL requires  teams to identify and rely upon cheap young talent while paying 4-5 vets insane amounts of money that the market will bear. There's no middle class.

I can see how just spending money will please a certain element of fans, but it is hardly the answer this Flyer fan is looking for. In fact, we've tried that and failed. Isn't this same old same old?

Archived