Matthews signs five year deal

yave1964

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Wonder if Dubas was getting nervous about offer sheets?

Doubt it.

What? I'm not saying there's collusion.

THERE WAS NO COLLUSION! IT'S A HOAX. FAKE NEWS. HER EMAILS!

I think its about right for a player of Matthews caliber (ok, ok, MAYBE on the high side), but the curious thing here is, the term.
The AAV may be more than what one would pay a very, very good center who has yet to prove he is long term viable (despite the Toronto hype machine, Matthews is NOT in the same class as McDavid)….BUT, because its only 5 years, the Leafs now can use that time to see what Matthews really brings as a full on pro who is being paid to produce, year in, year out, elevate his teammates, and NO EXCUSES, help bring a title to Toronto.

No more of that, "well, he is a GREAT young player with lots of potential...right there with Connor McDavid" crap.
Now, he has to show it.

And with Marner still waiting in the wings along with a few other players that will need to be paid, I just wonder how the Leafs are gonna manage all this.
From the looks of things, they certainly ARE going all in, and going all in FAST!

If after 5 years, it is shown that Matthews is "merely" a very good player, but NOT worth 11.5M AAV, then the Leafs can try trading him off for high draft picks.
And don't get me wrong....I am not hating on Matthews in any way (he can play for the Lightning or Wild ANY day...BOY would the Wild love to have a player like him), but I just feel that while paying a player like McDavid the way he was was a no brainer, I just don't feel Matthews is in that same echelon......but then, not many players are.

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I think its about right for a player of Matthews caliber (ok, ok, MAYBE on the high side), but the curious thing here is, the term.
The AAV may be more than what one would pay a very, very good center who has yet to prove he is long term viable (despite the Toronto hype machine, Matthews is NOT in the same class as McDavid)….BUT, because its only 5 years, the Leafs now can use that time to see what Matthews really brings as a full on pro who is being paid to produce, year in, year out, elevate his teammates, and NO EXCUSES, help bring a title to Toronto.

No more of that, "well, he is a GREAT young player with lots of potential...right there with Connor McDavid" crap.
Now, he has to show it.

And with Marner still waiting in the wings along with a few other players that will need to be paid, I just wonder how the Leafs are gonna manage all this.
From the looks of things, they certainly ARE going all in, and going all in FAST!

If after 5 years, it is shown that Matthews is "merely" a very good player, but NOT worth 11.5M AAV, then the Leafs can try trading him off for high draft picks.
And don't get me wrong....I am not hating on Matthews in any way (he can play for the Lightning or Wild ANY day...BOY would the Wild love to have a player like him), but I just feel that while paying a player like McDavid the way he was was a no brainer, I just don't feel Matthews is in that same echelon......but then, not many players are.

A lot of young players are definitely getting paid on "potential". If they reach it, they might be overpaid at the beginning of the contract, but maybe end up being slightly underpaid at the end (who am I kidding....11.6 million to play hockey...underpaid...lol) but the term on this one is more than likely just overpaid throughout...and then he walks.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:51 PM, yave1964 said:

Austen Matthews just signed a 5 year deal for 58 million bucks (AAv 11.6 million per). 

Too much? Too little? Just right? Discuss.

I'd be concerned about the injury problems and about the fact that he goes through prolonged scoring droughts where he seems to be invisible. A player like Crosby does it all, and looks good while doing it.  Matthews has been kind of "dull" lately.  He puts up numbers, but I'm still left wanting more (for whatever reason).  

When I watch the Leafs, I'd have to say Marner is probably my favourite player. Visually, he seems so much more spectacular on the ice than Matthews. I don't know why I don't notice Matthews.

I think the lesson to be learned here for players who insist on max money (all players basically) is "don't expect to win anything in your career".  Imagine this scenario:

1. Leafs make it to the Cup final and lose a close series. 

2. Looking to build on their success and win it all next season the Leafs......

• Trade Gardiner for draft picks
  • Trade Marner for draft picks
  • Trade Marleau for draft picks
  • Sign nobody

3. Welcome to the new season. Leafs miss the playoffs again. Matthews waits another five years to see another playoff game. Welcome to max money contracts in a salary cap league.  

On 2/5/2019 at 7:11 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Now, he has to show it.

It also means no more free pass from the fans in Toronto. Now he has to play like Sidney Crosby or he will get booed off the ice and out of Toronto. That's the salary level he chose, so that's who I will compare him to now.  So, no pressure. 

Players insist on painting a bulls-eye on their back with these contracts and I don't know why. They can't ever exceed expectations, only meet them. The best Matthews can do now is earn his money and deliver as expected. If he falls short then he's another overpaid stiff like Phil Kessel, Dion Phaneuf, etc.., and will be driven out of Toronto.   

5 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It also means no more free pass from the fans in Toronto. Now he has to play like Sidney Crosby or he will get booed off the ice and out of Toronto. That's the salary level he chose, so that's who I will compare him to now.  So, no pressure. 

Players insist on painting a bulls-eye on their back with these contracts and I don't know why. They can't ever exceed expectations, only meet them. The best Matthews can do now is earn his money and deliver as expected. If he falls short then he's another overpaid stiff like Phil Kessel, Dion Phaneuf, etc.., and will be driven out of Toronto.   

He's won't be making Sidney Crosby money...he'll be making $3 million a year MORE than Crosby. 

I get the feeling he may want to be driven out of Toronto.

12 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He's won't be making Sidney Crosby money...he'll be making $3 million a year MORE than Crosby. 

At the time, I think Crosby was the highest paid player in the NHL.  (The usual contract inflation has occurred since.)

12 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I get the feeling he may want to be driven out of Toronto.

Yeah I've kind of wondered about that myself. I think the Tavares signing is as much an "insurance policy" in case Matthews leaves as it is an opportunity for depth down the middle.

I think Marner has already won the fans over in Toronto more than Matthews has. The way he plays is just a more up-tempo, more dynamic style of game. Matthews kind of lingers around and collects points but he has to be the quietest superstar in the NHL. Nobody would ever confuse Matthews with Crosby or Ovechkin for example. Those guys were setting the league on fire in their opening year and making highlight reels almost every week. 

For me, the last "spectacular" game Matthews had was his very first game in the NHL where he scored four goals. I haven't seen anything close to that level of production since. 

Archived