Wild Trade deadline day

Jimtown guy

Koivu will get back and all the new faces will get put in their place just like all the others.

All the pep in their step, courage and confidence crossing the blue line will cease to exist. 'Pretty' will need to come back and well see more of the same as we've seen since he became the permanent captain.

We've seen it no less than three times before when he's out with an extended injury. The players get frisky, he comes back and it's back to the rear of the bus.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:23 PM, IllaZilla said:

That's what Russo is reporting as the rumored trade. He said he was going to verify it Saturday when he is in Calgary. And Russo also said a LOT of GM's around the league are kind of taken aback that all Fenton got for Granlund was Fiala...

Something to consider with Staal too. The Wild now have Staal, Koivu, Rask, Eriksson-Ek and Kunin as centers. That's five centers and only four center spots. What do you think will happen next season when Koivu comes back? I guarantee it won't be Koivu or Staal losing ice time...

I didn't see anything but did Russo confirm what the trade would have been?

Not only a lot of GMs are taken back but fans also. I said my peace on the Fenton trades and won't repeat what I said. I just wonder what Fenton really is doing.

41 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

Not only a lot of GMs are taken back but fans also. I said my peace on the Fenton trades and won't repeat what I said. I just wonder what Fenton really is doing.

I did not see anything either, but I do not subscribe to The Athletic. He may have written about it there. He said he was going to try and confirm what the trade was in his last podcast, so he may elaborate on that in his next one.

Russo is confused as well by his moves. Yes, he cleared a lot of cap space. The Wild are currently sitting with around $20M in cap space, but it sounds like this upcoming UFA class is really pedestrian, if not underwhelming. Hopefully he doesn't go crazy and sign some former Pred to crazy monrey.  And the current crop of Wild free agents (Aberg, Bitetto, Donato, Eriksson-Ek, Fehr, Fiala and Hunt) are all making $1M or less each, so any increases in compensation is not going to be that much. And as far as I'm concerned, Aberg and Bitetto can take a hike.

2 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

He did a while ago in his podcast about the trades.  It was Zucker for Michael Frolik and a draft pick.  Apparently players knew about it first somehow and it got to Zucker through them and Fenton hasn't said a word to him.  Zucker & his agents were mad, and they represent Spurgeon as well.  No one is entirely sure why it didn't go through; although most agree it was something on Calgary's end that submarined it.  

14 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Koivu will get back and all the new faces will get put in their place just like all the others.

All the pep in their step, courage and confidence crossing the blue line will cease to exist. 'Pretty' will need to come back and well see more of the same as we've seen since he became the permanent captain.

We've seen it no less than three times before when he's out with an extended injury. The players get frisky, he comes back and it's back to the rear of the bus.

Sad, but a likely scenario.  To say nothing of Rask who you know they'll try to play because they're paying him $4 million / season for the next 3 seasons.

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

He did a while ago in his podcast about the trades.  It was Zucker for Michael Frolik and a draft pick.  Apparently players knew about it first somehow and it got to Zucker through them and Fenton hasn't said a word to him.  Zucker & his agents were mad, and they represent Spurgeon as well.  No one is entirely sure why it didn't go through; although most agree it was something on Calgary's end that submarined it.  

Probably and our side was involved too into that unproductive negotiation. Michael Frolik is an older guy(31 y.o.) with a not so impressive stats and still is expensive ($4,3 mln. ) too. I am happy that it did not work for both teams.  Zucker in his last 5 games has 3 goals and 2 assists. Team's drive is getting better and better, especially during such a tough schedule.

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Sad, but a likely scenario.  To say nothing of Rask who you know they'll try to play because they're paying him $4 million / season for the next 3 seasons.

Sad, but, please, let's do not think about that scenario at least till September. I am more happy with what I do see in the last 6 games. Sincerely, I do not miss them (Koivu and Rask) and more focused now on a current roster. Wish to see Fiala's goals in regulation, wish to see a better snipers performance during shootouts - Donato, Fiala, Zucker, Kunin, Staal. It should be better training for that part.

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

That’s where I heard he was going to try and confirm what the draft pick was. Wonder if it was another of Fenton’s cherished fifth rounders...🙄

On 3/2/2019 at 6:58 PM, EmptyShelf said:

Fenton is desperate to just change the roster, and reduce payroll - none of our returns will lead us to a Cup.  He is NOT concerned about a 'like value' trade; just a trade. 

He is also getting played by GMs (I have heard/read 'fleeced,' 'robbed,' amongst other adjectives in media).  Only Donato has PLAYED his way towards making his part of a trade deal look beneficial for the Wild (doesn't mean the trade was 'like value,' as he was dropped to AHL, while Coyle still had Top 6 time on the Wild and Top 9 on Bruins - and I understand Boston has a better line-up).  Rask has been a disaster.  Fiala is TBD, but Granlund already has an assist in first game.  Granlund is a stronger asset by ANY measure, and isn't yet that expensive (and wouldn't be too expensive for the Wild if we would quit investing in declining geriatric players).   

What is sorely lacking, is that there is NO PLAN, and there are NO DRAFT PICKS that matter (only a 5th!?!) from the trade of these assets.  Also, he is only NOT moving all the millstone contracts/players.  I get that their contracts are horrendous, but try to give them away any way you can (and eat salary).  Keeping all the Country Club together even still, will only lead to garbage results, which just might not be bad enough to get a Top 5 pick; which we desperately need (assuming we can scout and draft this time around).  

Lastly, the incestuous pursuit of former Preds players that he was involved in drafting reeks of idiocy and trying to validate past mistakes.....Just my $.02.  I have no faith in Fenton - handcuffed or not, as he is now reacting as a naïve and desperate imbecile would to remake a roster just to remake a roster.

I don't know if Fenton is any good or not. I'm willing to let things play out and see what happens. On the surface it doesn't look to be a great trade--but the guy they got is 22(still young--4 or 5 yrs younger than MG) and they didn't have to wait 2-3 years for a drafted 18 year old to develop. Whether Fiala is worth it or not we will see.

I thought he got fleeced in the Carolina deal--and not because Nino is doing so well there--he had to have known (or at least IMO he should have) where Carolina was going to plug Nino into their lineup(#1 or #2 line), and should've gotten in return a top 6 or better player/comparable draft pick(s).

I like the fact he made a trade with Boston, they have traded away a few good players over the past few years(Wheeler, Seguin,etc). This one looks good now, but once again we will see if Donato continues to produce.

19 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The draft pick better been 1st round in the first 6 picks otherwise these is just a awful trade. I mean beyond stupid. Now you upset a possible key player and his agent who also represents another player on your team who is your best defenseman. As a free agent would you want to sign to a team with a GM who doesn't communicate with players and agents about trades and you have to learn about a possible trade through teammates? Fenton is really striking out here.

Fiala trade. My honest look into him. Fiala does have a greater ceiling then Granlund did. The biggest factor of this though is the devastating injury he had last season. A ton of people seem to forget this or over look it. Broken femurs are bad. There can be complications from it from minor to major nerve damage, one leg shorter than the other, etc. Fiala goal production has decreased a lot from last year when his injury happened. His +/- has dramatically decreased too. His play isn't what it looked like it could have been. That puts up a red flag. We traded our most consistent scorer for him. Just a 1 for 1 trade. We knew he had a horrendous injury and his production is down. We should have gotten at least 3rd rounder and Fiala for Granlund.

My biggest worry is when the money Fenton has saved and a weak Free Agency he is looking to go after another Nashville player. If he does, to me, puts him in the books as no better then Fletcher. Fletcher favorite old vets. Fenton appears to be favoring Nashville players. If he grabs another Nash player I worry he doesn't realize he no longer works for them.

19 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Probably and our side was involved too into that unproductive negotiation. Michael Frolik is an older guy(31 y.o.) with a not so impressive stats and still is expensive ($4,3 mln. ) too. I am happy that it did not work for both teams.  Zucker in his last 5 games has 3 goals and 2 assists. Team's drive is getting better and better, especially during such a tough schedule.

Nope.  It was something on Calgary's end.  Perhaps money-wise it didn't work as they had hoped.  Either way, the fault's on Calgary for not getting it done; yet it seems like it would've been a HORRENDOUS trade by Fenton.  He dodged a bullet big time by not having that one go through.  

13 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Nope.  It was something on Calgary's end.  Perhaps money-wise it didn't work as they had hoped.  Either way, the fault's on Calgary for not getting it done; yet it seems like it would've been a HORRENDOUS trade by Fenton.  He dodged a bullet big time by not having that one go through.  

He may have dodged a bullet but I fear the ricochet.

If Fenton was so willing to trade Zucker (His contract really) then what stops him from making a deal this summer?

Maybe Zucker's play down the stretch will change his mind.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:15 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

What is really sad, is that you are absolutely right.  They will force Rask's ice time, even though he has done ZERO to deserve it.  It is all about validating a terrible trade.  NN has 9 G and 9A and is +9 in 19 games.  I think that Fenton's trade is an EPIC FAIL, even if you consider the $1MM+ saved.  Are the Canes that much better than Wild, where NN would 'find his game?'  Fenton also has no plan, as there is no worthwhile FA to pursue with the savings.

The trades are working and the team is supposed to be built around the future. Hunt has been a nice find, Aberg I think feels like a miss, Rask who the hell knows, Fiala looks awesome and Donato is a shooter. 

Nino would NEVER break the top 6, Parise and Zucker have that on lock in MN for better or worse. Granny didn't shoot and we need shooters, Kloos is what he is an AHLer.

We gained room for 2020 and beyond.

22 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

. As a free agent would you want to sign to a team with a GM who doesn't communicate with players and agents about trades and you have to learn about a possible trade through teammates? Fenton is really striking out here.

I don't really think so. Professional players in any sport are almost never informed about a trade until it happens--nothing happened here.

Zucker knew he was on the block anyway(or at least knew it was a possibility). Fenton didn't need to tell him or his agent.

22 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

Fletcher favorite old vets. Fenton appears to be favoring Nashville players. If he grabs another Nash player I worry he doesn't realize he no longer works for them.

You'll see similar behavior from the majority of GM's out there--if not all. Everybody has their favorites. And they all believe they know or see something nobody else does.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit of a silly idea, as it's not based on what actually happened, but anyways - did Fenton plant a Trojan horse into Nashville's power play?

Comparing Donato on the wing in the Wild's PP and Granlund on the wing in the Nadville PP. Both have had a game with two PP assists. Granlund's assists came through saucer passing, Donato's through his shooting mentality/ability. Both will work against regular season PK, but will Granlund still find a way of passing in a playoffs environment. If Donato can't find someone to pass, he's still as dangerous as before. If Granlund can't find someone to pass to, that's basically it. It's not that easy to get rid of Granny either, as he's a likeable and dependable guy and has those setup skills. So it could be argued that Fenton rescued Nadville's PP against a weaker PK, but wrecked it against a good PK.

I still can't figure out why he did it with the Fiala acquisition, though. Maybe that was the price to pay for the Trojan horse.

And as I said don't take this post too seriously. Just a weird idea...

I think your giving Fenton way too much credit your idea sounds like a chess move and  Fenton’s mind works more like go fish mode. It seems like Fenton is trying to make this Nashville north acquiring Aberg, Hunt, Bitetto and Fiala the game breaker for the opposing team that is. The Rask trade I have no idea what the hell he was thinking I don’t think he did either. 

Every game underlines that the Granlund trade was a colossal mistake by Fenton even if he was dumping salary. Luckily for him, the Donato trade might save him from embarrassment. If someone was to believe he was trying to reinforce the corps for the playoffs... which he obviously wasn't.

Fenton the tank commander.

9 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Every game underlines that the Granlund trade was a colossal mistake by Fenton even if he was dumping salary. Luckily for him, the Donato trade might save him from embarrassment. If someone was to believe he was trying to reinforce the corps for the playoffs... which he obviously wasn't.

Fenton the tank commander.

Huh? Granlund is one of the most overrated players the Wild have had. You can see that Fiala could develop into a special player, Granlund is maxed out as a passing guy that has to be forced to shoot.

3 minutes ago, TonyOday said:

Huh? Granlund is one of the most overrated players the Wild have had. You can see that Fiala could develop into a special player, Granlund is maxed out as a passing guy that has to be forced to shoot.

Huh? :thinking:How can you overrate a player who was your best scorer 2016-17, 2nd best this season, 2nd best last season? Fiala has been 7th as his best...

A very lopsided deal. Special player? Could? Well, remains to be seen. Show me the money.

I'll split the difference.   Did Fenton get fair value for Granny?  No.

Does Fiala have more natural skill than Granny?   I tend to think so.    For me, it's whether Fiala has the will and also the  hockey IQ to reach his full potential.   

Bottom line.   I think Granny was worth an addiional prospect and/or medium to high pick.

From what I've seen MIG is a hugely smarter player than Fiala.  Fiala is a "highly skilled" Turnover machine.  One goal for, two-three goals against.  IMO MiG could be trusted defensively against world class players.  World class players drool thinking about playing against "highly skilled" players like Fiala because they know they'll end up with a big Plus on the score sheet 

5 hours ago, TonyOday said:

Gaborik was a "special player," He tilted the ice in the Wild's favor.  Fiala is a cutesy turnover machine, not at all Special (unless you add Ed) until he learns the right way to play the game.  There are 3 zones, not one.  So far he looks like another Krivokrasov Sushinsky or an upper case Matte to me.  He hugely, desperately needs to learn how to play at both ends and cut out stupid cutesy chit that leads to opponents scoring chances.   To say he isn't a Lemarie type of player is a huge understatement 

Archived